REITERATING: Phil Jackson says he's done coaching (Pg. 7)

Re: Phil Jackson had prostate cancer in 2011 (Pg. 5)

Postby Weezy on Thu May 09, 2013 10:51 pm

When Phil came here in '99/2000 he brought winning players with him, Ron Harper for sure, and I could be wrong, but I believe Brian Shaw as well (John Salley I believe too, mostly for locker room presence). He isn't perfect with GM type decisions, nobody is, but I trust Phil. Harper had won with him in Chicago, Shaw had already been to a Finals before with Shaq, and Salley had won in Detroit. Salley didn't do much except bring locker room experience from his career, but Harper and Shaw were leaders and calming influences on the team and proved to be clutch with that experience. Also, Horace Grant joined back up with Phil the next season as well, and that worked out pretty fantastic.

My point is, I trust Phil, a lot more than most others in NBA ball. I would trust him running a franchise along with Mitch, Phil knows winning, a lot like Riley. Phil seems to knows role players that will get the job done, he gets more out of them than most others as well. You ask what he wants, you seem to have answered it, he wants the Lakers ultimately, I would think at least a high up job to really be a part of decision making, he literally is family after all, or he will be eventually.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Thu May 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Phil brings winning no question about it but he also rubs people the wrong way...Jerry Krause in CHI, Jerry West quit in 01 because of him, Shaq/Kobe feud was encouraged by Phil (Horry said this himself). People respect what he has accomplished but he goes about it as an a-holish way so I understand why Jim wouldnt' want to relinquish control to him. And Mitch > Phil as a GM both have made their mistakes but Mitch has been doing this forever lets just let him do his job (hopefully he gets resigned first!!!). Phil can come back I guess but we need triangle vets and some shooters. Our team's resources are limited maybe he can join us in 2014, 2013/2014 we probably wont contend for a ship so he can just sit still for now

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 pm

therealdeal wrote:He wants to be in LA. I'm almost sure of it...

He admitted he'd coach here, he hasn't shown an ounce of interest elsewhere. He just wants to be in the FO here.

You're right, IMO. I was just about to post this; it didn't hit me until a couple of days ago. He's not interested in any job offer out there. Not to discredit Jim, but if I had a person available with a resume & a basketball mind like Phil, I would scoop him up in a heartbeat. However, I know there's other circumstances involved regardless of who's to blame. Either way, I just wish Phil did work with the Lakers in a capacity where he, Jimmy, & Mitch can flourish in their job roles and bring more championship banners to L.A.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Doc Brown on Fri May 10, 2013 8:35 am

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 6m
One of the big differences between Phil and Jim Buss is that Phil's not sentimental in any way+Jim is quietly hugely sentimental. #flaw
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 8m
Truth is, very few people can coach a pro basketball team effectively today. They have to have a cachet that overcomes players' money+egos.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 23m
D'Antoni should coach a young, athletic roster. He and the Lakers will grind each other up next season. They'll be hamburger in the end

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 25m
I've never known Phil to be sentimental in even the slightest way. He and Tex shared a cold, hard realism. That made them great.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 28m
Phil and the triangle would extend Nash's career, would allow the Lakers to get value out of him, would make DHo a full weapon+sustain Kobe
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 31m
Phil's done some truly [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] things, has a dark side but his gift's great. He liberated the game. Not sure it wants to liberation just now
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 35m
It was always fun watching cynical, burned-out players get a jolt of fire once they started working with Phil. Bison Dele? Was a kid again
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 38m
Phil's got maybe 5/6 years left with the right situation. Somebody in the NBA has to be smart enough to figure out how to make it work.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 40m
Tex always marveled at Phil's ability to teach. The concept of GM or coach doesn't address what he'll bring to a team as a mentor/instructor
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 41m
Phil's itching to work with a great team in practice while letting somebody else coach the games. That's gonna be tricky, but not impossible
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 45m
Tex was a true artist with the triangle. Powerful underlying structure that allowed a jazz-like flow once players grasped the fundamentals.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 48m
One thing Jim Buss learned from daddy was to play his cards close. No one knows what he's thinking. That can be good or it can be disastrous
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 50m
Tex always designed his philosophy to be widely adaptable to all things basketball. It was others who viewed it with rigidity.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 50m
Phil always adjusted the triangle. The offense was quite different with Shaq than with MJ. And different with Kobe as the main weapon.
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 52m
Tex always called Phil the triangle's chief salesman. Without the salesmanship, none of it would have happened. It needs that more than ever
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 56m
Sustaining the triangle requires an entire culture, not just hiring a coach. Phil would be the triangle culture that allows it to work
Expand

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 58m
Mainly Phil needs to work again to secure his legacy. Not in terms of titles. But with a young protege who could take the triangle forward

Roland Lazenby ‏@lazenby 1h
Phil Jackson should coach Dwight Howard. That's the bottom line. I don't care if they do it in the D League. It should happen.
Expand

If Dwight Drama leaves, his lost season in LA will always be an asterisk with no short explanation. How do you hide that?
Expand

Dwight Drama is born for the Lakers. He longed to be there. Will he really want to walk away+leave the impression he just couldn't cut it?
Expand

I remember the Lakers dysfunction with Shaq+Kobe from 96-99. It's tiny next to their current huge, unsolvable drama.
Expand

What about D'Antoni? He did nice things for Phoenix. Then fell in with dysfunctional NY+dysfunctional LA. He's set a record for dysfunction
Expand

Mitch Kupchak is largely believed to be sane. You know he's got to be going crazy dealing with the Lakers situation.
Expand

Forget Lakers tickets, I'd pay good money to watch Phil take on Jim Buss in a game of Clue.
Expand

Just as the gulf between Dr. Buss + Phil was huge, the chasm between Jim Buss + the ZenMaster is expansive. Basketball's Grand Canyon.
Expand

There's a comic image of Phil, sitting cross-legged on the floor, burning incense, sage+other herbs, contemplating his navel+the triangle.
Expand

Phil has long admitted to a push-pull in his personal relationships. Much the same with the fans and media.
Expand

Zen is a mind puzzle. Phil always played mind games with his players. Now he's doing it with the basketball public.
Expand

MJ once had unrealistic expectations about his role as an executive. Does Phil have similar unrealistic expectations? Prolly.
Expand

People think Phil struggles to find a roster he'd want to work with. He also needs an owner. That's where it's always broken down for PJ.
Expand

Busses didn't want to bring Phil back in 05, but they had to. Interesting to see what sort of power play the season ticket holders make
Expand

Hiring Phil would create just a mountain of expectations for the Lakers, expectations to spend huge money for coaches and players.
Expand

The gulf of egos+envy between Phil and his future in laws has always been huge and deep. He+Dr. Buss struggled to get past their giant egos
Expand

Phil + the Lakers seem like an incredibly long shot. If it's going to happen, would have to be soon, which makes the odds even smaller.
Expand

Or Phil could simply have a huge need to know that he's still desired and wanted. Thus all the flirtations, etc., with other teams.
Expand

Phil's had several teams throw themselves at him and shown little interest in return. Seems he clings to an unrequited hope for the Lakers
Expand

Phil is said to be comforting fiancee Jeanie Buss as she grieves the loss of her father. That raises doubt about his willingness to relocate
Expand

For the first time, Phil Jackson is a true zen master. He has the media befuddled with this on-again, off-again tease about coaching.
Expand

Bring him back damnit. :man2:

I'm hoping Dwight says bring him back or he walks. The FO needs a jolt in some form to get them off this complacency track they are currently on.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 am

Interesting tidbits by his mouth piece...he is rejecting offers all over the place almost makes us want to read between the lines that he wants Lakers. He wants to coach in a manner where he's mentoring a younger coach who will take over once he leaves. Not until recently Lazenby has he talked about the trouble Phil's ego gets him into so maybe Phil does realize even though he's a winner theres some baggage he drags along with him

If we're gonna bring Phil back we need some triangle guys back and an actual healthy roster that can compete. We have too many old guys

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am

Even though Im unsure about Phil's coaching these days if his return brings back Dwight I'm for it. Its a players league we need superstars in place so we can attact more superstars but Im not sure Dwight wants to have yet another coach fired under his playing tenure hes sensitive about that ish. Hes passive aggressive as we already know. He wants things done his way and yet he wont go to the necessary extent to have his way

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Fri May 10, 2013 9:16 am

^^ I would love nothing more than to see Phil return for a year or two as coach and then have him move up to VP of the Lakers having already trained his successor coach to take over.

Number one, it would heal the rift in the family and restore the balance of power right where it needs to be. Mitch and Jim would still have control over personnel decisions, and handle the GM and ownership aspects. Phil would be in charge of the area where we have been weakest since his departure: coaching. I don't think anyone can argue that we have completely sucked in the coaching department (hiring, not living up to expectations, not fitting the Lakers personnel well, etc.). Jim really needs to relinquish control of coaching hires as he's done a horrid job of it now in three occasions. Three strikes, you're out.

Phil in the organization would lend us a lot of credence and again, it would re-create that balance of power that we need. Three great basketball minds working together is much better than just Jim with Mitch in tow.

Jim could use the help. Phil could use a job. Jeannie needs to reemerge with the Lakers and she won't if Phil is elsewhere.

On top of it, like you said Rock, Phil Jackson here ensures that Dwight will re-sign and remain a Laker. End of story. I feel like the only reason he is hesitating right now is because he can't stand D' Antoni. And I don't blame him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 am

The problem is the roster

If you keep the roster as is, I guess they'll do better since Pau will be featured more + the general comfort of our guys having played together. But even if we're better are we good enough to compete for a title since they're a year older + have shown they cant stay healthy (Nash) ? We can't upgrade the roster without a Pau trade but at the same time Phil needs Pau here because of familiarity with triangle. Cant roll with just Howard + uncertain Kobe
Last edited by The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 am

The Rock wrote:The problem is the roster

If you keep the roster as is, I guess they'll do better since Pau will be featured more + the general comfort of our guys having played together. But even if we're better are we good enough to compete for a title since they're a year older + have shown they cant stay healthy (Nash) ? We can't upgrade the roster without a Pau trade but at the same time Phil needs Pau here since. Cant roll with just Howard + uncertain Kobe

Rock, I think the roster needs to change no matter what. If Dwight stays, there's really no way they can or should keep Pau, IMO. That would be the first thing they would have to address.

To me there's a pretty clear order of things - rehire Mitch first. Without Mitch we don't have a GM and that would be the biggest possible disaster.

I'm very skeptical that hiring Phil is going to happen. However, if Jim could swallow his ego and relinquish some control, it would be the best thing for the franchise, IMO, for the reasons we went over above. It would cement the coaching situation for years to come so we won't keep repeating the same problem over and over of ill fitting coaching hires. It will establish a consistent style, approach, mentality. And you'll have one of the greatest basketball brains in charge of it. It would also ensure that Dwight Howard is here to stay. And it might be the only way to do so 100% at this juncture.

Phil himself was dubious of this roster being able to compete and mentioned it when they came to him this year (not enough athleticism).

So even if Phil were here I think they would address this. Time is now to move Pau for a SF and backup guard. That would also put pressure on MWP to either restructure his contract or be amnestied. Those are our biggest issues, IMO.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 am

I've been suspecting for weeks now that Phil just wants the Lakers and he wants to bring in Rambis or Shaw to coach. He wants it to be here for his wife and so that he doesn't have to relocate again at his age and with his health. He FINALLY settled with Jeanie, I don't think he wants to now leave her for months on end to go coach elsewhere.

He wants LA.

The problems are thus:

1. Egos. Jim and Phil don't like each other and they aren't willing to come to a settlement that would allow them to work with each other. Jim wants his power, he wants his chance to carve a legacy of his own. Phil has spent years demeaning him, making him feel stupid, making him look like an idiot. Jim has never had the love of this city, meanwhile Phil was a media darling and is commonly accepted as the fans' champion.

Phil has made things extremely hard for Jim Buss and now Jim is expected to simply toss all of that aside and embrace him? Do you realize how hard that is? Imagine a time when you were forced to interact with a person that you absolutely hated and that treated you poorly. Did you immediately reach out and try to build bridges that the OTHER person burned? No. At least not at first and certainly not willingly. That's just SO difficult to do.

At the same time, Jim's ego now gets in the way as he experiences his first taste of power. He wants to be a legend like his father. He wants to carve his own place as the league's premier owner. He wants to prove to the city of LA that his father was right to hand him the keys to the franchise. And to do that he wants to distance himself from Phil and from the Triangle, hell maybe even from Kobe. He wants to be his own man and I respect that. There's nothing wrong with his mentality.

2. Money. Sure, the Busses are doing just fine. But the fact remains that we handed D'Antoni a long term deal and while Brown's hiring helped a bit, remember we're facing some serious luxury tax issues. Is the team willing to a) give up on D'Antoni which means a sunk cost of probably 10 million at this point b) hand out a new contract to Phil worth probably the same amount and c) give Phil some of the team for himself so that he's also making money off the franchise which bites into the Busses' share.

It'd be difficult to say whether or not that's something Jim and Jeanie and the rest of the kids want to do.

3. Philosophy. The Triangle isn't exactly sexy and the Lakers love to sell sexy. They love to sell winning more than anything, but sexy comes in a close second. Phil wants to come in and really integrate himself and the Triangle into the franchise he is hired to. The "Zen" game isn't necessarily what the Lakers are about. We're about flash and style and while the Triangle has allowed for some stunning performances, that is in part due to the players that were in it. It's hard NOT to be stylish with Kobe, Shaq, Pippen, and Jordan.

Are the Lakers willing to give in to the more calm style of the Triangle for the foreseeable future? Is that a direction that we're willing to basically take the team forever? Phil doesn't just want to have the Triangle for THIS team, he wants it for EVERY team moving forward. And yes the Triangle is more fluid than people give it credit for, but it's still a system that is fundamentally not related to Showtime at all. In fact Showtime might never return if we went to a Triangle philosophy moving forward.

In my opinion, it's a match that NEEDS to happen. It NEEDS to be Phil in LA coaching Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and maybe Pau. It NEEDS to come to fruition because EVERYONE can see how much happier EVERYONE will be. But the human obstacles that need to be overcome are massive. I don't know that it can be done.

I just know that Jim Buss, even if he did this, would face criticism. I don't blame him for wanting to prove (frankly) most of YOU guys wrong. I can't blame him for wanting to do it his way and wanting to be the one that brings the city back to the promised land. Especially if Phil can't swallow some of his own pride as well.

We'll see how much influence we fans have. We'll see how much influence the season ticket holders have. I don't know if it's enough.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

The Rock wrote:Phil brings winning no question about it but he also rubs people the wrong way...Jerry Krause in CHI, Jerry West quit in 01 because of him, Shaq/Kobe feud was encouraged by Phil (Horry said this himself). People respect what he has accomplished but he goes about it as an a-holish way so I understand why Jim wouldnt' want to relinquish control to him. And Mitch > Phil as a GM both have made their mistakes but Mitch has been doing this forever lets just let him do his job (hopefully he gets resigned first!!!). Phil can come back I guess but we need triangle vets and some shooters. Our team's resources are limited maybe he can join us in 2014, 2013/2014 we probably wont contend for a ship so he can just sit still for now

Phil definitely rubs people the wrong way. It's part of his pedigree though. He's a cocky a**hole, but the best darn cocky a**hole out there. And not in the sense of a narcissistic jerk...he does care about others but his style isn't to make people comfortable. He creates a tough, winning mindset in those around him.

On the other hand...this is the first I'm hearing about the Kobe/Shaq feud fueled by Phil. Interesting....I'm actually going to say this could be true. Why? Phil saw MAD potential in both Kobe and Shaq. Kobe had that killer instinct, worker mentality from day one.

By plotting the two against each other, he motivated them both to elevate their games to the next level. Shaq was the older one, in his prime, and more dominant. But he definitely got better throughout the 2000-02 3-peat.

Kobe on the other hand? Well look at what that man has done...I kinda like the idea that Phil fueled the fire that caused Kobe to push himself to unreal limits. That's pretty f***** genius, despite how it all ended in LA.
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 am

What is done is done but regardless of whether its Mike B, or MDA or Phil as a coach if we dont have a roster to field all of this wouldn't matter. Phil can't make Nash younger, make Pau a tough gritty player or Howard a phenomenal post player. There are issues on this roster beyond any coach's control, they have to be addressed first before deciding which coach to bring on board. And it all unfortunately depends on Dwight's decision 2 months from now. Hopefully he doesn't drag it out

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

The biggest reason I've been more open towards Phil is because of this...

But in the last of the book’s 22 chapters, Jackson appears forthcoming on why he believed the Lakers failed to win a third consecutive NBA championship in what amounted to his final season.

That included his revelation that he learned in March, 2011 that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Jackson planned to wait until after the playoffs to have surgery and noted doctors assured him he could control the cancer at least temporarily with drugs.

With the Lakers tied 2-2 in their first-round series against the New Orleans Hornets, Jackson recalled veteran guard Derek Fisher speaking up and questioning the team’s overall focus level. Jackson then decided to tell his players about his health.

“‘This has been a tough period for me,” Jackson recalled telling his players. “And I don’t know if it has affected my ability to give 100 percent to what I normally give you guys. But I know there’ve been times when I’ve been more withdrawn than usual.’”

In retrospect, Jackson suggested he regretted being so forthcoming.

“I began to tear up while I was talking, and the players seemed genuinely moved,” Jackson wrote. “Still, looking back, I’m not sure this was the right decision. Although telling the truth is never a mistake, there can be serious repercussions. And timing matters.”

I highly recommend you guys read the article in the link below which preview's Phil's book. So much gold in it regarding the 2010/2011 season

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/05/10/phil-jacksons-upcoming-book-partly-delves-into-underachieving-2010-11-season/

- How severe Kobe's knee problems was & why that kept him out of practices & negative effects of his absence
- Pau's personal problems and in his inability to play through physical play by Dirk
- Phil's own issues
Last edited by The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

realdeal, good post and I know you're stating the facts and that isn't necessarily your opinion but there are some things to consider with regards to your post, which I believe is true.

1. Phil has made life tough for Jim. No doubt. Jim wants to leave his own mark and prove himself worthy of the franchise. So why not bring in a guy that has a PROVEN record of winning? Why not secure the future of this franchise? We know who Dwight wants as coach. Yes, coming to compromise with someone that has treated me poorly is IMMENSELY difficult....however that person has also brought me a GREAT DEAL of success. Huge success, and that's an understatement. Jim is his own man. He made some roster deals, tried to bring back a style of b-ball, but frankly it didn't work. Part of being a man is the ability to recognize your failures and move forward. Being stubborn and irrational are feminine characteristics.

2. The money thing. This is probably the truest of reasons. But really, we don't even know what Phil wants. Being a VP of player personnel doesn't mean you own 5% of the franchise. Plus, there's a bunch of back and forth reports that claim Phil didn't really want a piece of the pie, it was just a media s***storm. We'll never really know unless a deal is struck between the two. What Phil does want is front office pull. I think that's fair, if he proves himself qualified and capable of the job.

3. This is the worst to me. Real, I know you watched the 2000-02 3-peat, and I know you watched our recent back-to-back. Frankly, winning basketball is fun to watch. We're not the Spurs or the Grizz. Our winning teams had a combination of half-court offense, tenacious defense, opportunity fast breaks, skilled players, and athletic players. Shannon Brown? Farmar? Odom? Kobe? Pau running the break? Shaq/Kobe? Rick Fox slashing? Glen Rice 3's? The 3-peat team wasn't as "exciting" but that was when the league was more half-court oriented. I think Phil doesn't get enough credit for evolving his philosophy to what works in the NBA. The back-to-back team was different than the 3-peat team. We had more guys who wanted to put the ball on the floor and more athletes. I mean we had a guy like Odom. Anyways, like I said, winning trumps everything....and I know we're going to get younger, faster, stronger players going forward....with or without Phil. I have no reservations about Phil's ability to put together a winning team.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Fri May 10, 2013 11:42 am

Chillbongo wrote:realdeal, good post and I know you're stating the facts and that isn't necessarily your opinion but there are some things to consider with regards to your post, which I believe is true.
Thanks Chill.

Chillbongo wrote:1. Phil has made life tough for Jim. No doubt. Jim wants to leave his own mark and prove himself worthy of the franchise. So why not bring in a guy that has a PROVEN record of winning? Why not secure the future of this franchise? We know who Dwight wants as coach. Yes, coming to compromise with someone that has treated me poorly is IMMENSELY difficult....however that person has also brought me a GREAT DEAL of success. Huge success, and that's an understatement. Jim is his own man. He made some roster deals, tried to bring back a style of b-ball, but frankly it didn't work. Part of being a man is the ability to recognize your failures and move forward. Being stubborn and irrational are feminine characteristics.

Jim (and Mitch) have made absolutely fantastic trades. There's no question that giving up draft picks and a trade exception for Nash was a great move. Trading Bynum for Howard is a home run. Trading Walton and a pick for Sessions was great. Trading an ailing Fish for Hill was good. Those are all credit to Jim and Mitch and the late Dr. Buss.

I agree with you 100% in terms of why Phil should be brought back. It's clear to everyone. The RIGHT move is to bring Phil Jackson back into the fold. It just MAKES SENSE. The fans want it. Phil wants it. More importantly: the players want it. If Jim were to make this move, he would still be president. Jim would still have the final say in all matters. He'd still be the one in charge and if/when success came it'd reflect upon him as well as anyone else because HE made the sacrifice and brought in someone who was an absolute bully to him. (sadly I think most fans would still hate him, but that's a conversation for another time).
Chillbongo wrote:2. The money thing. This is probably the truest of reasons. But really, we don't even know what Phil wants. Being a VP of player personnel doesn't mean you own 5% of the franchise. Plus, there's a bunch of back and forth reports that claim Phil didn't really want a piece of the pie, it was just a media s***storm. We'll never really know unless a deal is struck between the two. What Phil does want is front office pull. I think that's fair, if he proves himself qualified and capable of the job.

I tend to believe that he wants a part of the team (not the Lakers, but ANY team) because I think it would be a show of faith from the FO in him. It'd be a show of faith that they want him and they want his philosophies and they want him to be there long term. Even if it's just 1% or 2% it's something as a sign of faith. That's just my take. I don't think any team would offer him as much as 5%. That's a fairly big chunk.
Chillbongo wrote:3. This is the worst to me. Real, I know you watched the 2000-02 3-peat, and I know you watched our recent back-to-back. Frankly, winning basketball is fun to watch. We're not the Spurs or the Grizz. Our winning teams had a combination of half-court offense, tenacious defense, opportunity fast breaks, skilled players, and athletic players. Shannon Brown? Farmar? Odom? Kobe? Pau running the break? Shaq/Kobe? Rick Fox slashing? Glen Rice 3's? The 3-peat team wasn't as "exciting" but that was when the league was more half-court oriented. I think Phil doesn't get enough credit for evolving his philosophy to what works in the NBA. The back-to-back team was different than the 3-peat team. We had more guys who wanted to put the ball on the floor and more athletes. I mean we had a guy like Odom. Anyways, like I said, winning trumps everything....and I know we're going to get younger, faster, stronger players going forward....with or without Phil. I have no reservations about Phil's ability to put together a winning team.

I agree and that's why the hiring of D'Antoni to me seemed like the brain child of a dying owner and a man wanting to please his father. It seemed to me that they wanted to bring back what made the 80s so much fun for basketball and for LA.

I think that if Dr. Buss weren't so sick, Phil would have come back. I think that winning would have taken precedence. But things being what they were, they went in a different direction. It takes a lot of pride to change things up and admit fault in this hiring. For instance: what if the hiring of D'Antoni was something Dr. Buss REALLY wanted and Jim just carried it out? Would firing D'Antoni now feel like something of a slap in the face to the old man's wishes? A little bit, yeah.

I think we as fans can see what needs to happen clearly. The media members all feel it too. I think even Phil, Jeanie, and Jim know what SHOULD happen. I just don't know if they'll all sit down and allow it to come to fruition.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri May 10, 2013 12:29 pm

The Rock wrote:Shaq/Kobe feud was encouraged by Phil (Horry said this himself).

I must've missed this
Is there an article or something you can direct me to about it?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Fri May 10, 2013 12:51 pm

The Rock wrote:What is done is done but regardless of whether its Mike B, or MDA or Phil as a coach if we dont have a roster to field all of this wouldn't matter. Phil can't make Nash younger, make Pau a tough gritty player or Howard a phenomenal post player. There are issues on this roster beyond any coach's control, they have to be addressed first before deciding which coach to bring on board. And it all unfortunately depends on Dwight's decision 2 months from now. Hopefully he doesn't drag it out

Our roster is not great, but IMO Phil is the best coach for it. The triangle allows Nash to do less and get oprn shots like Fisher, not running him into the ground. It also works with an old roster in general. In theory it puts Dwight in positions to succeed as well, it just seems like the best fit for THIS roster, plus any upgrades we make. If we want to roll with this team, Phil is ideal, with or without Pau even. But like realdeal said, I think the stuff between Phil and Jim is too much to overcome. Which is a shame, because that potentially leaves us with 'Antoni, his brother, maybe Gentry, maybe Nate, not a fantastic staff.

And yeah, Phil's done some a-hole things, but if he encouraged the Shaq/Kobe feud, they sure don't seem to hold it against him. Shaq loves Phil, always says how he taught him how to win, and Kobe loves him as well, even after the book where he called Kobe uncoachable, he always as nothing but praise for Phil, genuine admiration and much respect there.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:27 pm

We just need someone that has heaps of $$ and get him/her to buy every front page of all the papers in LA saying:

Phil Jackson > MDA
#WeWantPhil
Join the movement

:man9: :man9: .... thats my :smoker:
bnr034

Postby JSM on Fri May 10, 2013 7:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:I just know that Jim Buss, even if he did this, would face criticism. I don't blame him for wanting to prove (frankly) most of YOU guys wrong. I can't blame him for wanting to do it his way and wanting to be the one that brings the city back to the promised land. Especially if Phil can't swallow some of his own pride as well.

We'll see how much influence we fans have. We'll see how much influence the season ticket holders have. I don't know if it's enough.

Jimmy is going to face criticism for whatever move he makes right now, that's just the position he put himself into. Comes with the territory. But to a very large degree -- winning cures all. Winning makes people happy and makes people forget. Any oddsmaker in Vegas will tell you having Phil Jackson on your payroll in any regard will increase your chances to win.

I don't think just the fans and season ticket holders can get it done. It would take a talk by Kobe and/or Dwight. Dwight won't make any demands this summer, he knows his image can't afford it. But that doesn't mean he can't express his concern with the current coaching situation and describe what type of offense he believes LA would be getting the most bang for their buck with -- the triangle led by one Mr. Jackson.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby bnr034 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Can anyone agree with me that the CURRENT rosters is built to run the Triangle?? :bang: :bang:
bnr034

Postby Doc Brown on Fri May 10, 2013 9:28 pm

bnr034 wrote:Can anyone agree with me that the CURRENT rosters is built to run the Triangle?? :bang: :bang:

The current roster is built for Medicare.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersin4 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Give Phil the position he wants & let him bring in Rambis. I could handle D'antoni coaching if he has Phil advising him & a good defensive assistant. If they're serious about winning with the roster as is, that's the only way.
lakersin4

Postby bnr034 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Give Phil the position he wants & let him bring in Rambis. I could handle D'antoni coaching if he has Phil advising him & a good defensive assistant. If they're serious about winning with the roster as is, that's the only way.

I really dont think MDA would listen to Phil.... Just look at this Vid

bnr034

Postby 432J on Sat May 11, 2013 8:37 am

i agree with whoever up there that said phil's ideal situation is come for a few years, win a title, and ultimately groom his successor to take over after he steps down

well folks, that successor was brian shaw and we all know what happened with that. phil wants all the power, jim won't give it to him. it's that simple. yes he would be the perfect fit[, but it just won't happen. if he ever returns to the NBA it will most likely be a FO position with a contending team. we'd all wet ourselves if he returned but under the current circumstances, it is almost impossible he'd ever come back. and why would he after the way he was disrespected by the FO
432J

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion