Brown is Sabotaging the New Lakers with Poor Substitutions

Brown is Sabotaging the New Lakers with Poor Substitutions

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 pm

From a pure basketball standpoint, I cannot understand Mike Brown's rotations after the trade deadline. First of all, Sessions should be starting. Blake has carved out a role with the bench that was just starting to work out. The starting unit has badly lacked athleticism in the back court to take the pressure off of Kobe. Sessions was supposed to alleviate this situation, so he should be starting IMMEDIATELY.

Also, now that we have an athletic defender and rebounder in Jordan Hill, Brown should be MINIMIZING the minutes he gives to Murphy and McRoberts. I pay careful attention to the point differential when either Bynum or Gasol comes out of the game, and there is a significant drop in rebounding and interior defense when we rest one of the twin towers. Against all but the poorest teams, we lose points the longer either of our clumsy white bigs, whom I will now dubb the Bumblef*** twins, plays any significant minutes.

There is a reason Phil Jackson kept our big man rotations tight so that either Bynum or Gasol was on the floor at all times, and since we no longer have the benefit of Odom soaking up all of the minutes as the power forward while either center rests, we need a new player to take that role. Jordan Hill CANNOT replace Odom's offense. Jordan Hill CAN be a much better solution than the bumblef*** twins for our loss of rebounding and defense when one of the twin towers is resting.

I noticed that when Steve Blake rested at the 5:50 mark in the first quarter against Houston, the Lakers had a 2 point lead. When Steve came back in the game for Sessions, the lead was 12. Similar scenarios happened in the Utah and Minnesota games as well. The main reason is that Steve Blake is not used to, nor is he good enough to withstand, first string defensive pressure. He is not a smooth enough ball handler, or an adept enough passer, to play through that kind of constant attention.

The second reason is because Steve cannot get dribble penetration against starting caliber set defenses, so he cannot CREATE good looks for teammates. Part of that is his lack of breakaway speed and pure athleticism, and part is because of his penchant for poor angled or mistimed passes...but either way, he was, is and always will be a BACK UP point guard. Another thing I noticed in the Houston AND Utah games is the tendency of Mike Brown to play Sessions WITH either McRoberts or Murphy. I believe that is a mistake as well.

We get ourselves into scoring deficits whenever either bumblef*** twin is in the game. We also need to maximize the effectiveness of all of our offensive weapons. If that means playing Gasol, Bynum and Sessions together at all times and for as many minutes as possible, then so be it. The only time we should play McRoberts is if Gasol, Bynum, Jordan Hill and Troy Murphy are in foul trouble...IN THAT ORDER. The only time we should play Troy Murphy is if Gasol, Bynum or Jordan Hill are in foul trouble. Our big man rotation should be Bynum and Gasol TOGETHER for at least 28 minutes of game time, and then 8 minutes each at center with Jordan Hill as the power forward.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND THE UNAVAILABILITY OF ALL THREE OF OUR BEST BIGS OR A LEAD LARGER THAN 30 POINTS should Murphy AND McRoberts ever be on the floor together. Also, when the other team starts to gain momentum, Brown needs to counter with a line-up of Bynum, Gasol, Barnes, Bryant and Sessions. Our best five players should be on the floor when things get tight. McRoberts and Murphy should only be playing in garbage time. MB should also change his substitution patterns if the opposition starts to gain momentum.

How many times this season have Bynum, Gasol or Kobe (and now Sessions as well) come out of the game right when a comfortable lead has begun to dwindle to a few points...the starters have to EARN their rest, not get it automatically. Just because we have more talent than before the trades, that doesn't mean we can afford to be blasé about our substitution patterns.

We still have a very thin bench, and our substitution patterns should reflect that SITUATIONALLY...meaning if the starters earn a big lead, then they can INCREMENTALLY (minimizing match-up disadvantages) get rest. Putting Murphy, McRoberts and MWP on the floor with Goudelock and Sessions is a recipe for DISASTER. Especially if we have a lead of less than 30 points.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Re: Brown is Sabotaging the New Lakers with Poor Substitutions

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:49 pm

these complaints were very common from Cavs fans during his tenure there too...no surprise nothing has changed.
khmrP

Postby Juronimo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:16 pm

I have to say I agree with the premise of this post. Murphy and McRoberts just aren't getting it done. It's as if they're battling to see who can be more incompetent out there. Earlier this season McRoberts was worse, right now it looks like Murphy is worse.

I'd say we see what Hill can do out there, he can't be significantly worse out there. Also Ron Artest can play some backup 4 as well, Barnes is more than capable of filling in at the 3 for longer stretches.

I also agree with you that Sessions needs to start. He's the better player, and better ballhandler. I've noticed as have you how Blake has issues handling the ball with pressure. With the second unit Blake won't see that same kind of defensive pressure.

I agree with you as well that either Gasol or Bynum must be on the floor at all times, provided neither of them get in significant foul trouble.

Also Kobe's minutes need to come down to around the 36 minute mark. I think part of the reason his play has been erratic as of late is due to fatigue. You can't run Kobe for entire 2nd halves, you can't have him playing 40+ minutes a game anymore. His minutes shouldn't be above 36. We saw what happened to Gasol when Phil ran him into the ground last season.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby kray28 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:26 pm

This is a bit better than your last rambling TL;DR post about trading Kobe or whatever.
kray28

Postby John3:16 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Agree. I haven't understood his rotations all year.
John3:16

Postby BDG on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 pm

The only good thing Mike Brown has brought to the Lakers is defense. But even that aspect has been inconsistent lately.

Can you name any other positives he's brought?

Seems he'd be better served an assistant coach (and a great one at that).

His rotations suck due to their randomness and inconsistency. Players need to know when they're going to play. Pick a lineup and stick with it.

And dammit you have a superstar approaching his mid-thirties. Manage his damn minutes better.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:55 pm

The defense is pretty good. Other then that... I really don't know. I'm always willing to give new guys a chance, but I honestly don't know what he brings to this team. Someone like Adelman would be superior IMO.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Brown's rotations will kill this team.....

Literally kill them because he's playing K-G-B 40 minutes a night.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby brickshooter on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:59 pm

karacha wrote:The defense is pretty good. Other then that... I really don't know. I'm always willing to give new guys a chance, but I honestly don't know what he brings to this team. Someone like Adelman would be superior IMO.

... until giving up 38 points in the 4th quarter of the Houston game versus a team missing it's two leading scorer.
brickshooter

Postby kray28 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:12 pm

BDG wrote:Can you name any other positives he's brought?

DVDs?
kray28

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Wearing out Kebo with the second unit instead of playing Goudelock has been disconcerting recently.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby kray28 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:13 pm

brickshooter wrote:
karacha wrote:The defense is pretty good. Other then that... I really don't know. I'm always willing to give new guys a chance, but I honestly don't know what he brings to this team. Someone like Adelman would be superior IMO.

... until giving up 38 points in the 4th quarter of the Houston game versus a team missing it's two leading scorer.

To be fair, we had no Bynum, and Mike Clown opted to put out our vaunted all white boy frontcourt of Murf and McRib
kray28

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Sessions (35) / Blake (13)
Kobe (30) / Glock (15) / Barnes (3)
MWP (25) / Barnes (23)
Pau (30) / Mcbobs (10) / Murphy (8)
Bynum (35) / Hill (10) / Murphy (3)

If we don't start dividing minutes up somewhat like above, Brown is going to burn out Kobe, Bynum and Pau. He has to start trusting the bench more, especially with Sessions running the point. Hill can play defense and board and that is what we need when Bynum is out. You put Murphy with Hill/Bynum and Mcbobs with Pau on the court.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Larry14r on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Sessions (35) / Blake (13)
MWP (25) / Barnes (23)

If we don't start dividing minutes up somewhat like above, Brown is going to burn out Kobe, Bynum and Pau. He has to start trusting the bench more, especially with Sessions running the point. Hill can play defense and board and that is what we need when Bynum is out. You put Murphy with Hill/Bynum and Mcbobs with Pau on the court.

Yeah, but then again Brown doesn't give a f**k.
Larry14r

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Larry14r wrote:
MWP (25) / Barnes (23)

So true.... :man10:

Blake (25) / Sessions (23)
Kobe (42) / Barnes (6) / Glock (0)
MWP (30) / Barnes (18) / Ebanks (0)
Pau (38) / Murphy (8) / Mcbobs (2)
Bynum (40) / Murphy (5) / Mcbobs (3) / Hill (0)

His actual rotations... :man10: :man10: Pathetic.
Doc Brown

Postby Larry14r on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Larry14r wrote:
MWP (25) / Barnes (23)

So true.... :man10:

Blake (25) / Sessions (23)
Kobe (42) / Barnes (6) / Glock (0)
MWP (30) / Barnes (18) / Ebanks (0)
Pau (38) / Murphy (8) / Mcbobs (2)
Bynum (40) / Murphy (5) / Mcbobs (3) / Hill (0)

His actual rotations... :man10: :man10: Pathetic.

And that will most likely be our playoff rotation.
Larry14r

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:44 pm

"clumsy white bigs"

"all white boy front court"

That always seems to be just lurking on this board.

Tell you what...if the staff would put some serious effort into both McBob and Hill, McBob is the one who probably has more to offer. Hill not exactly tearing it up on YouTube highlights.
LTLakerFan

Postby kray28 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Pau is white...and I wasn't talking about him....just to be clear.
kray28

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm

kray28 wrote:Pau is white...and I wasn't talking about him....just to be clear.

No he's not white he's Spaniard.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Larry14r on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:48 pm

This board just got racial here.
Larry14r

Postby kray28 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:52 pm

KeepBynum wrote:

Pau is European, he's white bro. Deal with it.
kray28

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:07 pm

KeepBynum wrote:

What? :man3:

I think you must be confused. That's like saying "Dirk is not white, he's German".
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Johnnyboy on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:From a pure basketball standpoint, I cannot understand Mike Brown's rotations after the trade deadline. First of all, Sessions should be starting. Blake has carved out a role with the bench that was just starting to work out. The starting unit has badly lacked athleticism in the back court to take the pressure off of Kobe. Sessions was supposed to alleviate this situation, so he should be starting IMMEDIATELY.

Also, now that we have an athletic defender and rebounder in Jordan Hill, Brown should be MINIMIZING the minutes he gives to Murphy and McRoberts. I pay careful attention to the point differential when either Bynum or Gasol comes out of the game, and there is a significant drop in rebounding and interior defense when we rest one of the twin towers. Against all but the poorest teams, we lose points the longer either of our clumsy white bigs, whom I will now dubb the Bumblef*** twins, plays any significant minutes.

There is a reason Phil Jackson kept our big man rotations tight so that either Bynum or Gasol was on the floor at all times, and since we no longer have the benefit of Odom soaking up all of the minutes as the power forward while either center rests, we need a new player to take that role. Jordan Hill CANNOT replace Odom's offense. Jordan Hill CAN be a much better solution than the bumblef*** twins for our loss of rebounding and defense when one of the twin towers is resting.

I noticed that when Steve Blake rested at the 5:50 mark in the first quarter against Houston, the Lakers had a 2 point lead. When Steve came back in the game for Sessions, the lead was 12. Similar scenarios happened in the Utah and Minnesota games as well. The main reason is that Steve Blake is not used to, nor is he good enough to withstand, first string defensive pressure. He is not a smooth enough ball handler, or an adept enough passer, to play through that kind of constant attention.

The second reason is because Steve cannot get dribble penetration against starting caliber set defenses, so he cannot CREATE good looks for teammates. Part of that is his lack of breakaway speed and pure athleticism, and part is because of his penchant for poor angled or mistimed passes...but either way, he was, is and always will be a BACK UP point guard. Another thing I noticed in the Houston AND Utah games is the tendency of Mike Brown to play Sessions WITH either McRoberts or Murphy. I believe that is a mistake as well.

We get ourselves into scoring deficits whenever either bumblef*** twin is in the game. We also need to maximize the effectiveness of all of our offensive weapons. If that means playing Gasol, Bynum and Sessions together at all times and for as many minutes as possible, then so be it. The only time we should play McRoberts is if Gasol, Bynum, Jordan Hill and Troy Murphy are in foul trouble...IN THAT ORDER. The only time we should play Troy Murphy is if Gasol, Bynum or Jordan Hill are in foul trouble. Our big man rotation should be Bynum and Gasol TOGETHER for at least 28 minutes of game time, and then 8 minutes each at center with Jordan Hill as the power forward.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND THE UNAVAILABILITY OF ALL THREE OF OUR BEST BIGS OR A LEAD LARGER THAN 30 POINTS should Murphy AND McRoberts ever be on the floor together. Also, when the other team starts to gain momentum, Brown needs to counter with a line-up of Bynum, Gasol, Barnes, Bryant and Sessions. Our best five players should be on the floor when things get tight. McRoberts and Murphy should only be playing in garbage time. MB should also change his substitution patterns if the opposition starts to gain momentum.

How many times this season have Bynum, Gasol or Kobe (and now Sessions as well) come out of the game right when a comfortable lead has begun to dwindle to a few points...the starters have to EARN their rest, not get it automatically. Just because we have more talent than before the trades, that doesn't mean we can afford to be blasé about our substitution patterns.

We still have a very thin bench, and our substitution patterns should reflect that SITUATIONALLY...meaning if the starters earn a big lead, then they can INCREMENTALLY (minimizing match-up disadvantages) get rest. Putting Murphy, McRoberts and MWP on the floor with Goudelock and Sessions is a recipe for DISASTER. Especially if we have a lead of less than 30 points.

I couldn't agree more. Mike brown is not a good coach. Not terrible, but the Lakers have always had great coaches. He is not nor will ever be great. Get Jerry sloan in here....Oh wait, Jimmy Buss will only hire a guy he can boss around
www.CheckYourMD.com
Johnnyboy

Postby Johnnyboy on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:13 pm

karacha wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:

What? :man3:

I think you must be confused.

hahhaha
www.CheckYourMD.com
Johnnyboy

Postby TIME on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:14 pm

I don't know why anyone would be surprised to discover that Mike Brown is not a great coach.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion