Bucher on DH's post touches under MDA & Phil txting with DH

Bucher on DH's post touches under MDA & Phil txting with DH

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:58 am

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/0062580d-314a-47e5-bf12-f77c1dd5a597/

Inconvenient Truth II: Curious why the statheads have not called out Phil Jackson on contending that Dwight Howard is being misused or under-utilized by Mike D'Antoni and his up-tempo offense, particularly when it comes to posting up Howard more. I'm told that Synergy has Howard second in the NBA only to the Utah Jazz's Al Jefferson in paint touches. Howard also is second only to Greg Monroe in field-goal attempts inside five feet. Considering that the Lakers can't go to Howard in the final minutes of most games because of his aversion to, and struggles with, shooting free throws with a game on the line, it's extraordinary that Howard ranks that high in either category. Now, I have immense respect for Phil Jackson, and D'Antoni has made his share of decisions with which I've taken exception, but all the criticisms and complaints about him being ill-suited for the Lakers have proved to be premature, at best, and flat-out wrong, at worst. They had a disastrous start, thanks to injuries (Pau Gasol, Steve Nash, Steve Blake) and a poorly-timed coaching change and pressure from unwarranted sky-high expectations. Yet the Lakers have weathered the storm and are officially in the postseason picture. Kobe Bryant has been sensational, but I'm a little tired of the seemingly rote Kobe-wins-games and D'Antoni-loses-them storyline. Have we forgotten that the relationship between Phil and Kobe wasn't always rosy, in part because Phil wouldn't entrust Kobe as D'Antoni has? The truth is, D'Antoni hasn't forced his system on the team; in fact, he's had his star disciple, Steve Nash, adjusting his game to everyone else's. Their defense is essentially the same as the Knicks, D'Antoni's previous stop, yet Mike Woodson is a defensive coach with equal or better defensive personnel and I haven't heard anyone rip Woodson the way D'Antoni has been this season.

The part I really don't get is Jackson undermining a fellow coach and everyone quietly going along with it; perhaps that's the power of 11 rings, but count me out among those who believe that success is license to do whatever you want. The NBA coaching fraternity is a small one and, while they certainly don't all like or even respect each other at the same level, they do realize how hard the job is and there's usually a line drawn when it comes to making the job harder for a fellow coach. Commiserative texts, be they about a back injury or anything else, to a struggling star from the coach espousing how how his system would be better for said star crosses that line. Yet D'Antoni and the Lakers have survived it all. Mea culpa, anyone?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Bucher on DH's post touches under MDA & Phil txting with DH

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am

I would say Bucher might have a point about Phil saying what he said about Dwight not being used enough, IF Phil didn't have a history of saying whatever the hell he wants whenever he wants, that's just Phil. As for texting Dwight, I'd also say Bucher has a point IF Phil weren't engaged to one of the owners of the Lakers, he clearly has an interest in the team, and his heart may really lie with them above any other franchise.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 am

Also I still believe Jeanie orchestrated the Dwight and Phil connection
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 pm

^yeah, Jeannie was sexting Dwight, and all of a sudden she turned it over to Phil, who didn't miss a beat with his ball penetration comments.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Weezy wrote:I would say Bucher might have a point about Phil saying what he said about Dwight not being used enough, IF Phil didn't have a history of saying whatever the hell he wants whenever he wants, that's just Phil. As for texting Dwight, I'd also say Bucher has a point IF Phil weren't engaged to one of the owners of the Lakers, he clearly has an interest in the team, and his heart may really lie with them above any other franchise.

I think Bucher is absolutely right on all accounts (feels weird to type).

I just honestly don't care all that much because we in LA love Phil. He's allowed to say and do whatever he wants. If he says Dwight is being misused, it's because he has a different philosophy on the game. We've seen recently that Howard can be used just fine the way he's playing. His play since the All-Star game should be proof of that.

As for texting him, everyone who has intimate knowledge of the situation says he was only talking about his back... I'm okay with that. Like you said, like it or not Jim, Phil is part of the family now. All he's doing is trying to support one of his wife's employees. There doesn't have to be an ulterior motive there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 pm

All types of fail in Bucher's argument. D'Antoni hasn't made Nash sacrifice ish...Nash isn't that 30 year old guy that played out in Phoenix any longer. D'Antoni's system is a guard probing and setting up the open look. Kobe takes that task on cause Kobe is a cyborg. Nash at 39 can no longer take on such duress and be played extended minutes. In order to play Nash more efficiently, D'Antoni needs him to play off ball with Kobe essentially taking the lead guard role now.

In terms of Dwight Howard being second only to Al Jefferson in touches and Greg Monroe...again, Greg Monroe in attempts in the paint...is a monumental fail. How can anybody take that argument seriously? If you got a guy like Dwight Howard, you make sure you can get him more attempts than Greg Monroe and more touches than Al Jefferson....especially since he is converting at a higher clip than either. Not to mention, you have guys like Kobe and Nash who demand attention, so how could you not get him more easier looks at the basket?

That's all on Mike's genius gameplan! I'm not sure what's a bigger fail....Bucher thinking Mike ain't using Dwight right or people using Bucher to justify an argument. :bricks:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 pm

So does this guy really believe that Nash can still bear the burden of running an offense full time and that this adjustment (for Nash) is by choice and not necessity? Ha.

And wtf is he bringing up the Knicks defense? Who cares about the Knicks? IDGAF that their defense is just as bad as the Lakers.....I care about the fact that we have a coach thats either fine with or incapable of fixing our generally weak defense. Is Mike Woodson's apparent failure to live up to being a defensive coach supposed to make me feel better about that? Was he the guy we were gonna hire if we'd passed on Pringles?

And its probably the homer in me, but Phil has earned the right say what the hell he wants in my book (within reason ofcourse, and this is well within the limits of being reasonable IMO).'

What a waste of my time reading that was....
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:40 am

Phil texting Dwight :man10: MDA needs to lead this team to a ring or else... :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:54 am

last stand wrote:Also I still believe Jeanie orchestrated the Dwight and Phil connection

I assumed it was Kobe. He knows Phil has the advice to make a good player great. Maybe Dwight needed to hear something that he wouldn't respect D'antoni enough to accept from him. Either way, Dwight's play has done nothing but improve, so I don't see how the texts from Phil could be viewed in a negative light.
lakersin4

Return to Lakers Discussion