Byron Scott to coach Lakers?

Byron Scott to coach Lakers?

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri May 30, 2003 9:07 pm

From the Nets' point of view, locking up Scott would be a pre-emptive strike against having their coach swiped by the Lakers. Speculation in Los Angeles is that Phil Jackson will probably coach only one more year.

If that came to be, the Lakers would be looking for a coach and Scott would be a free agent at the same time. Scott has been given due consideration in the rumor mill as a Jackson replacement for a variety of reasons. Scott grew up in Los Angeles, spent 11 years with the Lakers as a player, and talks frequently about how he "bleeds purple and gold." He's also still close with members of that organization, including the owners.

"It's no secret that Byron and Kobe (Bryant) are close," McInerny said. "He has a good relationship with Shaquille (O'Neal). Is he attracted to working with those two guys? Sure. But in no way shape or form would he ever try to undermine Phil Jackson. If that opportunity came around, I'm sure he would be interested."

Source - http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1054276694163480.xml
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 31, 2003 12:25 am

This is a great thing... To have the Nets in the finals 2 years in a row is a greater advantage for Byron if he wants to come to LA. It shows that he can take them to the highest place, but even though we swept them, he's a great choice. Byron can prolly lure some talent ova there to come here, if they're available 2 years from now. Cuz Phil's health is at risk, and he's slowly goin down. This is interestin! :man9:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat May 31, 2003 1:08 pm

Byron would be a good choice once Phil retires. Even though I still want Phil to coach as long as he can do it. Byron should be the man in the bench for LA, since I'm not sure about Rambis or Cleamons doing the job right.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:25 am

Cleamons would at least continue with the triangle offense which enabled us to win championships, if he was to follow Jackson. If BYRON does become the coach he would implent an offense that would cater to KOBE instead of SHAQ much like the offense he is currently running with the NETS. Byron is a great coach, gets the most out of his players, has an exciting offense thanks to KIDD. That offense sounds tempting, KOBE would probably agree but; I would pass the mantle to CLEAMONS and run the TRIANGLE until the WELL gets dry!!! The system has been proven to work with GREAT PLAYERS and as long as we have SHAQ/KOBE and now I hope ARENAS.... we should continue it even if JACKSON retires.

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:35 pm

After Phil is gone. I think we should try and still run the triangle. And we should get Cleamons to coach them. He knows what Phil ran things because he's been with Phil since the Chicago days and he would be a good choice for coach and would help maintain some stability after Phil's gone because he wouldn't change everything. Plus he's been a head coach before and is an experienced coach. Now if he decides to take a coaching job somewhere else like Phili because there are rumors that they are interseted in him. Then I say we get Scott to come in and coach since he has good relationships with players on the team.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Old Schooler on Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:08 pm

I think Scott would be the prefect replacement for Jackson. NJ has only been his training ground for the Laker job anyway, so let him have the job! I don't understand how Big Daddy Buss let Rambis coach the Show before Scott in the first place :man7:
CONNECTED IN THE GAME SINCE 1980
The Old Schooler

Postby Danny Ainge on Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:20 pm

Rambis was only an interim anyway, everyone knows Jerry Buss was giving out his daughter to bait in PJ.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby The Old Schooler on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:50 am

DA,

No! I'm for real. Scott should be the Lakers next coach. We need to bring him back home, and retire his #4
CONNECTED IN THE GAME SINCE 1980
The Old Schooler

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:11 pm

Who knows what Scott will do. Whether it is run his own O or follow the triangle. I think whatever he decides will be good for the team. He's not dumb. He knows what wins titles from his days in LA.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby zetaw00d on Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:04 am

They should try to get Byron and Magic to coach the Lakers after PJ retires!!! Showtime again!!!!! I would love to see that for the 2nd time!!!
zetaw00d

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:31 pm

As much as I would like to see Scott coach the Lakers after PJ is gone, I doubt it will happen. I think New Jersey is going to do everything this summer to bring Kidd back and do something with Scott's contract to lock him in so they don't lose him. New Jersey is not that bad of a team, they need a player or two and they will be ready to challenge the West. Who knows, if Deke wasn't hurt all year, maybe things would have been different for them. :man7: You have to think, that even though they lost both Finals, they know that they are going to continue to be one of the favorites in the East if they don't mess with there roster too much and keep Kidd and Scott.

I agree with one of the posts in this thread, after PJ is gone, hire Clemmons. In all likelyhood Scott will be in New Jersey.
Lakerfantilidie

Return to Lakers Discussion