Byron Scott Discussion: Getting guys motivated to fight

Re: Byron Scott Discussion: Hired as Head Coach - 4yrs / 17m

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Wolf
"12 Million" for what center? And then you have to replace the less expensive, quality, "team chemistry" guys you no longer have that can get you that 15-20 points a game each. Hopefully we get Lin to stay for less. I don't agree with your minimizing them as "easily" replaceable. Too much being asked for with Lin then sure, take a hike.

Sorry didn't read right and adjusted the 7 million for center I first put, to what you said, 12 million.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Fulzgold on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:54 pm

I agree with Wolf that Young is not a difference maker overall but the fans love him. He's terribad on D and is a black hole on O. Solid bench scorer but, difference maker?

Lin could make a difference though if Kobe/Byron let him have the ball a lot. Now that he doesn't turn the ball over as much as he did with NYK he'd be pretty lethal with a steady diet of pick n rolls but not sure Kobe will be able to sit and watch that happen lol.

Also, I'd be shocked if we didn't extend Lin. Unless he's terrible next year, I think we'll see around 3-5 years, $7-9Mil/year. IMO it makes too much sense across the board.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:06 pm

You guys have unrealistic expectations on rebuilding a team. You think that we can just sign any player we want for any amount of money because we have cap space.

No. It's not a "crowd pleaser", it's not a "PR move". That's your opinion, and you have zero evidence to base your arguments.

What are facts is that despite Nick Young's defense, which did improve last year, his production based on his pay is a bonafied steal. I'm sorry, find me a player who can average 15+ppg off the bench and create his own shot, all for $5M/year. His offense offsets any lapses he has on defense. The hell player you know is stud on both ends of the floor that will play for cheap.

As for Lin, he's not getting another bloated contract. At best, he'll get a Nick Young type deal, and if he doesn't take it, bye. Only way he gets anything more than $6M if somehow pulls a 15/10 year and was key to taking us to the playoffs, otherwise, it's role player money.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Barnstable on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:45 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:You guys have unrealistic expectations on rebuilding a team. You think that we can just sign any player we want for any amount of money because we have cap space.

No. It's not a "crowd pleaser", it's not a "PR move". That's your opinion, and you have zero evidence to base your arguments.

What are facts is that despite Nick Young's defense, which did improve last year, his production based on his pay is a bonafied steal. I'm sorry, find me a player who can average 15+ppg off the bench and create his own shot, all for $5M/year. His offense offsets any lapses he has on defense. The hell player you know is stud on both ends of the floor that will play for cheap.

As for Lin, he's not getting another bloated contract. At best, he'll get a Nick Young type deal, and if he doesn't take it, bye. Only way he gets anything more than $6M if somehow pulls a 15/10 year and was key to taking us to the playoffs, otherwise, it's role player money.

+1 :bow:
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Fulzgold on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:His offense offsets any lapses he has on defense.

You must've liked our last coach, bc he had that same philosophy :freak2:
Fulzgold

Postby ElginTheGreat on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:07 am

lakerfan2 wrote:You guys have unrealistic expectations on rebuilding a team. You think that we can just sign any player we want for any amount of money because we have cap space.

Absolutely. I also think that actually having Kobe out there on the floor in games and in practive will help his shot selection and maybe even his defense.
ElginTheGreat

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:47 am

Fulzgold wrote:

Sure he did, but the lapses on his defense were far too great. So no, I didn't like him. Thanks for trying.

Unfortunately, you have no actual argument because you know you were wrong. But that's okay, keep trolling with your useless knowledge of anything.

Go ahead, find me a two way player that score 15ppg and plays defense too, for $5M/year, that's not a rookie.

Pick one out: http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/page/4/seasontype/4
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:34 am

Barnstable wrote:

+1 :bow:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Fulzgold on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
Fulzgold wrote:

Sure he did, but the lapses on his defense were far too great. So no, I didn't like him. Thanks for trying.

Unfortunately, you have no actual argument because you know you were wrong. But that's okay, keep trolling with your useless knowledge of anything.

Go ahead, find me a two way player that score 15ppg and plays defense too, for $5M/year, that's not a rookie.

Actually if you really think about it, you're trolling me. :man1: The question was is Nick Young a difference maker, not is he a bargain but thanks for trying. And not that it matters but DUH that two way players get paid more.

We need players and he's fine off the bench and like I said, fans love him so it works.
Fulzgold

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:09 am

Fulzgold wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
Fulzgold wrote:

Actually if you really think about it, you're trolling me. :man1: The question was is Nick Young a difference maker, not is he a bargain but thanks for trying. And not that it matters but DUH that two way players get paid more.

We need players and he's fine off the bench and like I said, fans love him so it works.

No. I'm giving you a dose of get your facts straight. Trolling is not having an argument and making a mockery of someone else's statement because you don't have one.

The fact that he comes at a bargain price, for his production, makes him a difference maker. A player who can get you 15ppg off the bench is not a difference maker? Really? When you can fill your team up with capable players for cheap, it makes landing a max player a lot easier than having a team full of bloated contracts or unproductive players. We didn't give Nick Young 4 years because we NEED players, that's what Henry, Johnson and Davis are.

But I guess we can fill the roster with 4 "difference maker players" at $10M and run with Kobe...because that'll work right? That sir, is trolling.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Fulzgold on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:43 pm

He's getting about what he should get for a good bench scorer. If he was a good defensive player he'd be a huge bargain at $5mil. There are defensive metrics (FACTS) that can back this up. He's one of the worst defenders in the league.
Fulzgold

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Fulzgold wrote:He's getting about what he should get for a good bench scorer. If he was a good defensive player he'd be a huge bargain at $5mil. There are defensive metrics (FACTS) that can back this up. He's one of the worst defenders in the league.

And Harden? And Melo? And Curry? How many actual two way players are there in the league? Just stop.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Fulzgold on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
Fulzgold wrote:He's getting about what he should get for a good bench scorer. If he was a good defensive player he'd be a huge bargain at $5mil. There are defensive metrics (FACTS) that can back this up. He's one of the worst defenders in the league.

And Harden? And Melo? And Curry? How many actual two way players are there in the league? Just stop.

Melo is a good rebounder. Curry is a good playmaker. Harden is an elite scorer (but also pretty one dimensional). You get a point for trying but time to give up.
Fulzgold

Postby trodgers on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Fulzgold wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:

Melo is a good rebounder. Curry is a good playmaker. Harden is an elite scorer (but also pretty one dimensional). You get a point for trying but time to give up.

What are you saying? I seriously don't understand what's going on in this back and forth between you two. It seems like you're saying that Melo is a good rebounder - and that somehow makes him a good defender? Help me understand.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:03 pm

trodgers wrote:
Fulzgold wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:

What are you saying? I seriously don't understand what's going on in this back and forth between you two. It seems like you're saying that Melo is a good rebounder - and that somehow makes him a good defender? Help me understand.

Started out as Byron being primarily a "PR hire". Which lead to discussing Nick Young as a "PR hire" and not a smart move to give him a lengthy contract, despite it being on the low end and his production rate.

Then Mr. Gold thinks it's easy to find players who do it on both ends of the floor, arguing that Swaggy off the bench for the terms of his contract is not a difference making move for the future.

Instead of defining defense, Melo rebounding, Curry assisting, and claiming Harden is an elite scorer, despite 40% of his point coming from the free throw line, makes absolutely no sense in answering my question. So I'll leave it at that because it goes nowhere with him.

Getting back on topic, I wonder what kind of defensive scheme Byron will instill.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby purp n gold on Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:58 am

Don't love the hire, but don't hate it either... I'm just thinking to myself "god I hope this works"
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby trodgers on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:45 am

lakerfan: then I agree with you - I thought Fulzgold really was saying that those things stand in for defense. And apparently he was. Strange.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Newly hired Lakers Coach Byron Scott took over the team's Twitter feed Friday, giving his thoughts on the team's prospects this season..

His top priority, Scott wrote, is "to get our team to play defense on a consistent basis every single night."

That's a welcome thought. given the Lakers gave up 109.2 points per game last season.

How does he intend to make that happen?

"Accountability is obviously the first step. Desire & dedication are the next steps," Scott wrote.

The Lakers announced Scott's hiring on July 28. As a player, Scott contributed to three NBA titles during the Showtime era.

In his final season in the league as a player, 1996-97, Scott was a teammate of Kobe Bryant.

"He was the most mature 18-year-old I had ever come across. He kind of kept to himself," Scott wrote of Bryant.

Scott has an idea how he wants to deploy Bryant along with point guards Jeremy Lin and Steve Nash.

"We will have our share of PnR [pick and roll] because of those two guys & because of Kobe as well," explained Scott. "[Bryant will] be going in the post, mid-post, & elbows a lot. There'll be enough room for him to operate in space."

The Lakers have six players at either center or power forward. Scott is going to have to sort through the options when training camp opens on Sept. 30.

Rookie Julius Randle, drafted with the seventh overall pick in June, will have to earn his time but Scott has high hopes for the left-handed forward from Kentucky.

"I think Julius has a lot of upside, great potential," he wrote. "Like everyone else, he's going to have to come in & work his way into the rotation. Which I'm confident he will."

"The biggest challenge coming to a new team is getting to know your players & putting them in a position to be successful," Scott continued.

As expected, Jordan Hill will get time at center -- possibly as the starter. Newcomer Ed Davis, a power forward, may also get time at the five.

"I envision Jordan getting good minutes at center position, using his speed & athleticism to his advantage," Scott wrote. "I like Ed's size. He's very good around the basket & can also block shots. He's gonna have to play in the post."

The Lakers also added Jordan Clarkson on draft night, acquiring the 46th overall pick from the Washington Wizards in a trade.

Clarkson has yet to sign with the team, but is expected to do so before training camp. Through five summer league games in Las Vegas with the Lakers, the 6-foot-5 guard averaged 15.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.2 assists while shooting 42.4% from the field and 42.1% from three-point range.

"I like what I saw of Jordan Clarkson," Scott wrote. "[I] think he's got great potential. I look at him now as just a guard, not a 1 or a 2."

The Lakers have yet to round out Scott's cast of assistants. "The coaching staff will probably be finalized in the next week," he wrote.

Currently the team has assistant Johnny Davis, a holdover from Mike D'Antoni's staff, under contract. Player development coaches Mark Madsen and Larry Lewis are likely to continue as part of Scott's staff.

Scott also noted that his favorite player to play with was Magic Johnson, his top moment with the Lakers was winning the 1985 championship in Boston against the Celtics and he's a big fan of the movie "Scarface."

If Scott could play alongside a current NBA player, he would choose Chris Paul of the Clippers.

Finally, Scott's answer to the stress of coaching is exercise.

"My stress release mentally & physically is to go to the weight room & get a work out in," he wrote. "Helps me deal with the long season."
lukewaltonsdad

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Lakers wrote:Image

Head coach Byron Scott going over plays in his new office. #GoLakers
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:31 pm

I have said it before and I'll say it again after reading that article above, I'm really excited for him and the opportunity for this team on the defensive end. Lets hope our guys bring it this year on that side of the floor.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:36 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
Lakers wrote:Image

Head coach Byron Scott going over plays in his new office. #GoLakers

He looks really old in that picture.
Savory Griddles

Postby Toklat on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:17 am

Nick is certainly a difference maker and going to become more so under Scott. What most people can't do, especially if you have never coached is see what someone is going to become. Not just what they were or are. Nick showed a growth in maturity last season. He showed the desire to work on defense with a coach that didn't know how to spell the word. Under Scott and hopefully Coop if things go well he will turn into a both way player. Nick could very well be sixth man of the year this season if he doesn't play his way into a starting spot. I agree with most he is best suited right now for the sixth man, but that is not going to last. Young is about ready to blow up on you guys...lol
Toklat

Postby kenzo on Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:18 am

Scott just got on Roscooter's list :man9:
kenzo

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:21 am

kenzo wrote:Scott just got on Roscooter's list :man9:

Yeah... interesting comment from a guy who would have knocked him on his butt when he played for pulling that crap. Must be hedging for his next job already.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
Rooscooter

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:01 pm

He coached Paul already and they're very close.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion