I'm Callin' it... This team is better than last year

Re: I'm Callin' it... This team is better than last year

Postby purp n gold on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
purp n gold wrote:What I think I learned vs. the Clippers: Given our players and system, our 2nd unit is probably better than most other teams' 2nd units.

Our second unit is also better than our starters.

I agree.

That didn't take long. lol

But it sort of true. I was feeling uneasy when we were fielding the Nash/Blake/Young/Kaman/Pau lineup, and I actually felt relieved when Hill & Henry were subbed in. lol
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 am

The way and pace our bench play will win us a lot of games ... of course our bench won't be on fire like this every night but I don't think a lot of teams 2nd units can't keep up with us in such scoring contests .

I expect a decent amount of " outscoring the opponent ' wins
wcsoldier81

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:The way and pace our bench play will win us a lot of games ... of course our bench won't be on fire like this every night but I don't think a lot of teams 2nd units can't keep up with us in such scoring contests .

I expect a decent amount of " outscoring the opponent ' wins

coming into this season, all i wanted was to be entertained...if the wins come, then so be it...
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Maybe not talent-wise, but definitely better chemistry, more hunger, and more humility. This team is scrappy and plays hard, especially the second unit. The injection of youth has really changed this team, and we can win more games than last season for sure.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby MC on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:44 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
MC wrote:Better? no I don't think so talent wise.......... more heart? absolutely......not even close.

In the end we are going to be a team that lives by the jumper or dies by the jumper ........ we will get wins like last night but we are going to have some rough ones too me thinks because of it ......

Only time will tell but if we continue to out-hustle the more talented teams we will give them fits.....especially if they take us lightly.....

I think one thing that is benefiting them so far is the fact there IS no one guy out there to shutdown....you really have no clue who might go off on you when facing them...... Doc for instance is good at taking your #1 option away as a coach....well who is this teams #1 option right now without Bryant on the floor? that complicates things for teams that want to trap and take out a scorer lol

LobCity lol ....MobCity lol..... whatever.....more like OURCity as in Lakers ahahahhahahahha

This teams depth has greatly voided any drop in "talent" that was.

A center who is incapable of creating his own shot and hitting free throws.

An aging defender who gets lost in his own land.

After that, Jamison? A perennial streaky journeyman who made the all-star team some ages ago.

meh..... Our talent last year had no chance anyway...... that was neutralized the second MDA was hired lol.... Buss had more to do with neutralizing our talent than the implosions itself IMO.

Ya we are deeper....... but if depth is the crutch then in the end the story will be the same IMO....especially with a coach that wants to live and die by the perimeter ...... the team is better suited to play MDA ball so it will look better out there........... unfortunately however MDA ball is not how you win the NBA which will go on to neutralize some of this depth advantage......

Like I said we'll get wins like the Clips games.........we'll also shoot ourselves to some Ls in the very same fashion lol.............

I'm really trying to get behind MDA because he IS our coach and I have zero say about it.....but it's hard for me because I completely disagree with his philosophy ...... but I hope full well he proves me wrong even though I'm sure he won't lol.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:56 am

I know alot of fans look at this game & say that's what's going to happen every time we face a talented team but GS is just a terrible matchup for us with no Kobe.. They're an extremely well constructed team with the same youth & athleticism we started building up last offseason.. Even without Barnes, Iggy/Klay/Green is way too much talent on the wings for us while we're Mamba'less.. You're not going to beat them very often by using depth & outhustling them like we did in the opener.. The Spurs will be another huge test for us but they might be without Duncan, & Pau/Kaman/our other bigs should have much better games than they put up against Lee/Bogut if TD is out. Following that we have Atl & Dallas, 2 teams with less talent than any of our first 3 opponents & our depth should really shine. This team has great chemistry & I think because of that we won't see long slumps like last season because the guys will be on the same page as to how to improve as a team.. I think we'll win atleast 2 of the next 3.
LakersN4

Postby Barnstable on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:37 pm

So last season at the end of November we were 8-6 after 14 games.

This season at the end of November we are 9-8 after 17 games.

So this season we played three more games in the month, no Kobe, with a much tougher schedule and we're just one game behind our record from last year where we had Dwight, Kobe, Jamison, and MWP.

Don't tell me we don't have as much "talent". We made a huge upgrade to the bench. Huge upgrades to our youth. Depth at the PG position. We have role players that we sorely needed for years, and we are one of the top 3pt shooting teams in the league. Bottom line is we have a better team, and I'm convinced we will end with a better record by the end of the season.

Just wait till Kobe comes back and we can actually close out games with a reliable clutch scorer. Some of those games that got away from us earlier will be a win.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:41 am

It also doesn't hurt that everyone outside of Sacre is in their contract year.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby earvinfr on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:08 am

Our second unit is the big difference. How many of our players have reach 20+ pts this year ? I think only Sacre and Kelly has yet to score 20, but that's normal with their playing time.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby LakerFan1235 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Easily my favorite team to watch since Phil has been gone. It's just way more fun to watch them. If we can get this team+ Kobe being kobe, it's gonna be a really interesting season.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:26 pm

earvinfr wrote:Our second unit is the big difference. How many of our players have reach 20+ pts this year ? I think only Sacre and Kelly has yet to score 20, but that's normal with their playing time.

Sacre won't or shouldn't even have the chance but Kaman could with enough minutes. Why not play Pau less minutes honestly to keep him fresh, tell him to go harder (Rambis and Madsen should be able to say that to him if not Dan or all 3) and give Kaman a nice split with the backup minutes. Then same thing with Hill and Williams at the 4. It seems like a no brainer because there are similar skills and capabilities with Pau and Cave Man. Any of those 4 get in foul trouble then sub the "other" guy in. Get some added rhythm and confidence going in all 4 of these guys.
LTLakerFan

Postby halekulani on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:40 pm

i cant believe we are 9-8
every win just seems so special b/c i always think we're overmatched
halekulani

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:06 pm

1st 5 we often are. But Bench Mob II is on steroids! :shaq: :shaq:
LTLakerFan

Postby revgen on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:02 pm

4 of our 9 wins came against leastern conference squads. 2 came against western conference squads that are under .500. The Golden State win was against another team who's winning about as many games as we are, who also beat us earlier. So we are beating teams we're so supposed to beat for the most part.

So far, our only really impressive wins were against Houston and LA. Despite their records, neither of those teams are good defensively.

Am I suprised by our record? Yes and No. I'm suprised that we're going well without Kobe and Nash. I'm not surprised that a D'Antoni team is playing well during the regular season. That's what his Suns teams did all the time during the 00's.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Pau's being his usual wimpy self, so it's like we have no all-star. That's why it's impressive. Even D'Antoni's teams that did well had a star.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby earvinfr on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Looking at +/-, it seems that 1st unit only try do stay close and the 2nd one try to comeback or extend the lead.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:23 am

I've got us trending to 42 wins.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:25 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Pau's being his usual wimpy self, so it's like we have no all-star. That's why it's impressive. Even D'Antoni's teams that did well had a star.

Multiple stars.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 am

trodgers wrote:I've got us trending to 42 wins.

that's just with the team right now right? Not factoring in Kobe somehow?
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby halekulani on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:54 am

revgen wrote:4 of our 9 wins came against leastern conference squads. 2 came against western conference squads that are under .500. The Golden State win was against another team who's winning about as many games as we are, who also beat us earlier. So we are beating teams we're so supposed to beat for the most part.

So far, our only really impressive wins were against Houston and LA. Despite their records, neither of those teams are good defensively.

Am I suprised by our record? Yes and No. I'm suprised that we're going well without Kobe and Nash. I'm not surprised that a D'Antoni team is playing well during the regular season. That's what his Suns teams did all the time during the 00's.

i thought i read somewhere our schedule was ranked 6th most difficult
halekulani

Postby karacha on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Barnstable wrote:

No, that's probably not factoring in Kobe. This is a .500%, or slightly above (.548) team without him. Which is pretty good if you ask me.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:39 pm

karacha wrote:
Barnstable wrote:

No, that's probably not factoring in Kobe. This is a .500%, or slightly above (.548) team without him. Which is pretty good if you ask me.

We're about the 11th best team in the West without Kobe. With whatever kind of Kobe we could have this season, we're a stretch to make it above 7th seed. 42 wins are without the Kobester, but I don't know that we'll be much better with him.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby wallangong on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:51 pm

halekulani wrote:
revgen wrote:4 of our 9 wins came against leastern conference squads. 2 came against western conference squads that are under .500. The Golden State win was against another team who's winning about as many games as we are, who also beat us earlier. So we are beating teams we're so supposed to beat for the most part.

i thought i read somewhere our schedule was ranked 6th most difficult

it might have dropped based on the quality of opponents on the recent road trip. i believe it was the 2nd toughest prior to the trip. either way, pretty impressive for a team most analysts picked to finish 12th in the West.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Sagarin has our schedule at 7th most difficult so far. But we're 3-4 against top 10 Sagarin teams and 3-6 against top 16 teams. In other words, we're not very good.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:19 pm

We were a possession away from beating San Antonio, the Grizzlies, and the Wizards. I'd say if we had Kobe those'd could easily be three wins instead of losses because we couldn't find someone to score down the stretch. Now, those teams aren't great either and I know that's the dangerous "what if" game, but this team could easily be 11-4 instead of 8-7.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion