Can we even tank bro?

Can we even tank bro?

Postby TSpence26 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/ba ... Lakers.htm

If I am reading that right, Dallas can swap with us in the 1st round in 2014?

Or do we have two 2014 firsts? What?
TSpence26

Re: Can we even tank bro?

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I have a feeling our pick will be top 20, so I think we'll have it. I don't know if we have a different first round pick, but I don't think so.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 pm

This would be our highest draft pick since Bynum...concentrated on getting a solid rotation piece/maybe starter; that would be great...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 pm

can someone explain this? Do we have a first rounder next year or not? thx
Johnnyboy

Postby vaylen on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 pm

We have a first rounder in 2014 because the NBA doesn't let you trade your first round pick in successive years. Phoenix has our 2015 first rounder, which is unprotected. I'd love to trade Pau to the T-Wolves for their 1st rounder in 2014 and to get back our 2014 second rounder.
vaylen

Postby The Laker Link on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:41 pm

TSpence26 wrote:http://www.prosportstransactions.com/ba ... Lakers.htm

If I am reading that right, Dallas can swap with us in the 1st round in 2014?

Or do we have two 2014 firsts? What?

The websites I've seen say we don't owe anything to anyone in 2014. We traded this pick to Cleveland. Rules say we have to have a pick this coming year.
The Laker Link

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 pm

vaylen wrote:We have a first rounder in 2014 because the NBA doesn't let you trade your first round pick in successive years. Phoenix has our 2015 first rounder, which is unprotected. I'd love to trade Pau to the T-Wolves for their 1st rounder in 2014 and to get back our 2014 second rounder.

Thanks for explaining a bit....So if we are in the lottery and get the 5th pick lets say, is it still ours?
Johnnyboy

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 am

vaylen wrote:We have a first rounder in 2014 because the NBA doesn't let you trade your first round pick in successive years. Phoenix has our 2015 first rounder, which is unprotected. I'd love to trade Pau to the T-Wolves for their 1st rounder in 2014 and to get back our 2014 second rounder.

I don't see the T-Wolves (or any team for that matter) giving up a 1st rounder for Pau... but hey, maybe they think he's the last piece to the puzzle and pull the trigger. Stranger things have happened - like the way we got Pau. We may not be able to attract free agents like Howard anymore, but maybe we can still pull off highway robbery through trades.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 am

Weezy wrote:I have a feeling our pick will be top 20, so I think we'll have it. I don't know if we have a different first round pick, but I don't think so.

I'm not sure about that. If Odom comes back to the Lakers in even remotely good shape, and we somehow sign a Nick Young or Morrow to play sf, are there 10 teams better than us? Kobe, Pau, Nash, Odom, Kaman...with a little health that's a 6 seed. Dallas is going to be worse. Utah is going to be a lot worse. Portland is the only team that might nudge us out of a playoff spot. and an 8 seed in the West might put us top 10 record overall.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 am

Johnnyboy wrote:

Thanks for explaining a bit....So if we are in the lottery and get the 5th pick lets say, is it still ours?

Yes because it was always ours. There's no restrictions on it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
Weezy wrote:I have a feeling our pick will be top 20, so I think we'll have it. I don't know if we have a different first round pick, but I don't think so.

I'm not sure about that. If Odom comes back to the Lakers in even remotely good shape, and we somehow sign a Nick Young or Morrow to play sf, are there 10 teams better than us? Kobe, Pau, Nash, Odom, Kaman...with a little health that's a 6 seed. Dallas is going to be worse. Utah is going to be a lot worse. Portland is the only team that might nudge us out of a playoff spot. and an 8 seed in the West might put us top 10 record overall.

I agree.. if we get LO, Morrow, McGuire, Sasha, Bell, 1 of Nate or Farmar or Gibson.. I think we'd surprise alot of people.

Nash/Blake/Nate
Kobe/Sasha/Meeks
Morrow/McGuire/Bell
LO/Hill/R-Kelly
Pau/Kaman

That's a really deep & quick team.. D'antoni would run teams to death with all those guys that fit his system.. 4 of our starters are excellent passers.. We'd have multiple shooters to split minutes & ride the hot hand.. That would be a really fun team to watch. I'd expect Nate to have some big games & take the backup minutes from Blake, but there will be plenty to go around until Kobe gets back. If Kobe wasn't going to miss time, I'd say that team could have home court in the 1st round.. But with Kobe missing until around Dec-Jan, that's still a 6 seed at worst.
lakersin4

Return to Lakers Discussion