Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby kakafung on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:52 am

realistically ,i don't think a teams can combine Kobe, Lebron and Melo together except in the National team, so get real and forget it.
Apparently james wouldn''t have been gone to other teams even though he has yet to state it.
just to imagine melo and hope it to come true
Melo without a mentor and a player who can adjust him both mentally and physically.
i know MDA is not the man but ..o knows the future of our coach
kakafung

 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:00 am

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby Center Court on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 am

kakafung wrote:realistically ,i don't think a teams can combine Kobe, Lebron and Melo together except in the National team, so get real and forget it.
Apparently james wouldn''t have been gone to other teams even though he has yet to state it.
just to imagine melo and hope it to come true
Melo without a mentor and a player who can adjust him both mentally and physically.
i know MDA is not the man but ..o knows the future of our coach



Yes they can.

Except for Nash, they will have no contracts on the book. He'll probably retire anyway which gives them 0 contracts only book. Let's say they each take $16MM, that's $32MM. Depending on the cap that year (let's say $60MM) you still have a lot of room for moves. Even at MAX, they are at $40 combined.

Again, I think this is all a moot point because Bron is not leaving Miami. Also, I think new CBA basically puts teams in a position to go and sign 2 superstars, another all star, a 4th guy who is cheaper but very good, and then round out the bench with lower scale contracts up to $4MM. That's the formula.

This new CBA has ushered in a new era and for the Lakers it's the most drastic.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 am

kakafung wrote:realistically ,i don't think a teams can combine Kobe, Lebron and Melo together except in the National team, so get real and forget it.
Apparently james wouldn''t have been gone to other teams even though he has yet to state it.
just to imagine melo and hope it to come true
Melo without a mentor and a player who can adjust him both mentally and physically.
i know MDA is not the man but ..o knows the future of our coach


"get real and forget it"

riiiight - forget about 3 of the top 10 offensive PROFESSIONAL players in the league, who wouldn't have a clue how to play together...
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9755
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 am

lakersin4 wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:The things is, when you get star players to play together (see Miami, Clippers, Houston), some decent players will actually play for MUCH less than the market value they would usually be asking.

You combine Kobe, Lebron and Melo - players will come flocking to play for us. Lets say Kobe and Pau take huge paycuts to win:

Projected 2014-2015 - Cap - 62M Tax "Apron": 75M

Lebron - 25M
Melo - 15 M
Kobe - 10M
Pau - 5M

55M between them, leaving 7M + the FULL MLE 5.3 M + Bi-Annual Exception 2M + Vet Min. Well more than enough to fill out the roster with role players like a Battier or Chris Andersen type player.

And that STILL puts us under the Tax Apron at a total of 69.3M + whatever players sign for the Vet Min.

As long as we stay under that apron, we DON'T get hit with the repeater tax.

Lebron can't make 25M.. Melo & Lebron came in the league the same year so the max for them is the same.. I believe 19 or 20M.. They can both make more money by staying on their teams because they can just extend their current deals, I know Melo could make much more by remaining a Knick.. If you can go the big 3 route & get Lebron & Melo, I hope we wouldn't be concerned with them taking paycuts. Or in Melo's case, more of a paycut than he already would be taking. They could take 20M each & we could still pull off what you listed there.. I really want to save enough room for Larry Sanders no matter what we do.. I don't think you can pass up that good of a rim protector at the discount he's likely to go for..


again. you have to think short term. kobe is NOT going to wait for Larry Sanders, let alone any player to develop. Sanders hasn't really made any noise in the league despite coming into his 3rd year. i at least haven't heard anything.

money is a moot point for these guys, they can make as much money in jersey sales and endorsements in LA.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9755
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am

To use your numbers lakerfan2 if the projected cap is 62 million (I think it'll be more like 60) and the apron is 75 (I think it'll be more like 73.5) then here's how it would look ideally to the Lakers:

LeBron- 20
Carmelo -20
Nash- 3.5
Kobe- 10
Other (maybe Gasol)- 6.5
1st Round Pick~ 2
Total= 62 million.

Then we have:
the MLE- Hill or a shooter
Bi-Annual Exception- Shooter
Vet Min.- defenders, rim protectors, and hustlers.

If you include all of that we should still be under the tax threshold while fielding an extremely competitive team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 am

I think we can finally capitlize on Kobe's relationship with a player. Melo along with a VERY short list of other players are close with Kobe. Melo being the closest from what i've seen. If anyone out of that list would entertain the idea of coming to the Lakers it would be Melo. families are close wives etc

if he wants to win best chance would be joining a west team not staying in the east...thus the lakers. kobe signs for less. melo signs then others will come.

so mad we didnt get CP3 bc it woul make the 2014-2015 season pretty dope if we signed melo and kept kobe
Image
User avatar
Ariza3

 
Posts: 4695
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:The things is, when you get star players to play together (see Miami, Clippers, Houston), some decent players will actually play for MUCH less than the market value they would usually be asking.

You combine Kobe, Lebron and Melo - players will come flocking to play for us. Lets say Kobe and Pau take huge paycuts to win:

Projected 2014-2015 - Cap - 62M Tax "Apron": 75M

Lebron - 25M
Melo - 15 M
Kobe - 10M
Pau - 5M

55M between them, leaving 7M + the FULL MLE 5.3 M + Bi-Annual Exception 2M + Vet Min. Well more than enough to fill out the roster with role players like a Battier or Chris Andersen type player.

And that STILL puts us under the Tax Apron at a total of 69.3M + whatever players sign for the Vet Min.

As long as we stay under that apron, we DON'T get hit with the repeater tax.

Lebron can't make 25M.. Melo & Lebron came in the league the same year so the max for them is the same.. I believe 19 or 20M.. They can both make more money by staying on their teams because they can just extend their current deals, I know Melo could make much more by remaining a Knick.. If you can go the big 3 route & get Lebron & Melo, I hope we wouldn't be concerned with them taking paycuts. Or in Melo's case, more of a paycut than he already would be taking. They could take 20M each & we could still pull off what you listed there.. I really want to save enough room for Larry Sanders no matter what we do.. I don't think you can pass up that good of a rim protector at the discount he's likely to go for..


again. you have to think short term. kobe is NOT going to wait for Larry Sanders, let alone any player to develop. Sanders hasn't really made any noise in the league despite coming into his 3rd year. i at least haven't heard anything.

money is a moot point for these guys, they can make as much money in jersey sales and endorsements in LA.
Why would Kobe need to wait for Larry Sanders if he has Melo (& hopefully Lebron) possibly Pau coming back, etc?

1 thing every team needs is to keep the rim protected.. Sanders is already 1 of the best in the league at that.. There's nothing to wait for, as his role would be to do something he already does very well.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 am

therealdeal wrote:To use your numbers lakerfan2 if the projected cap is 62 million (I think it'll be more like 60) and the apron is 75 (I think it'll be more like 73.5) then here's how it would look ideally to the Lakers:

LeBron- 20
Carmelo -20
Nash- 3.5
Kobe- 10
Other (maybe Gasol)- 6.5
1st Round Pick~ 2
Total= 62 million.

Then we have:
the MLE- Hill or a shooter
Bi-Annual Exception- Shooter
Vet Min.- defenders, rim protectors, and hustlers.

If you include all of that we should still be under the tax threshold while fielding an extremely competitive team.


Yeah, I was only guesstimating , but exactly my sentiment. We won't be hit the repeater tax.

Another interesting thing is Emplay's new article regarding how if Kobe takes the minimum in 2014, freeing up that extra $9M for another mid-tier player, and then resign with bird rights in 2015 for $19M, basically averaging out to $10M a year over the 2 years.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9755
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 am

Larry Sanders will be a RFA this summer. The Lakers have little chance at signing him unless they want to overpay.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
Yeah, I was only guesstimating , but exactly my sentiment. We won't be hit the repeater tax.

Another interesting thing is Emplay's new article regarding how if Kobe takes the minimum in 2014, freeing up that extra $9M for another mid-tier player, and then resign with bird rights in 2015 for $19M, basically averaging out to $10M a year over the 2 years.

I sincerely doubt that happens, but if it did, we'd certainly rebuild in a ridiculously quick fashion.

And I believe in EP's write up he didn't account for stretching out Nash's contract either. If Kobe signed for the minimum of 1.5 million or something we're looking at about 55 million in cap space in 2015. Sign two max contracts and still have 15 million to spend? I mean...

:man10:

That'd be ridiculous. Awesome. But ridiculous.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:55 am

lakersin4 wrote:Why would Kobe need to wait for Larry Sanders if he has Melo (& hopefully Lebron) possibly Pau coming back, etc?

1 thing every team needs is to keep the rim protected.. Sanders is already 1 of the best in the league at that.. There's nothing to wait for, as his role would be to do something he already does very well.


I have nothing the against the guy, just haven't heard of him to be put on a verteran squad.

Based on his stats, he seems like a great shotblocker. But knowing the league, some team will overpay for him. YOUNG Big man who can block shots? Will garner AT LEAST $10M. Don't think that will fit our plans. He's a restricted free agent anyway.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9755
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby Center Court on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 am

therealdeal wrote:To use your numbers lakerfan2 if the projected cap is 62 million (I think it'll be more like 60) and the apron is 75 (I think it'll be more like 73.5) then here's how it would look ideally to the Lakers:

LeBron- 20
Carmelo -20
Nash- 3.5
Kobe- 10
Other (maybe Gasol)- 6.5
1st Round Pick~ 2
Total= 62 million.

Then we have:
the MLE- Hill or a shooter
Bi-Annual Exception- Shooter
Vet Min.- defenders, rim protectors, and hustlers.

If you include all of that we should still be under the tax threshold while fielding an extremely competitive team.



This is what I've been saying also. Hopefully also have a top pick this year with another franchie level talent on board. Beauty of it is that we can present that roster to Bron/Melo, but sign kobe/pau/nash for a one year term then completely reload again around Bron/Melo and max space for Love/Rondo/Adridge/Hibbert/Gasol..
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:54 am

^ Yep.

It's not as far fetched as people are making it on ESPN. I don't think LeBron will come either, but if you pull in Melo first and Kobe signs a reasonable contract as well... LeBron is going to have to THINK about it at least. It'll be on Riley to make a move after that to appease the Kang.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 pm

One reason no one seems to talk about as it pertains to Lebron not joining the Lakers, is LBJ probably wants to end with the most rings, like any great. If he comes to the Lakers, he will never pass Kobe. Its one reason why I think he may go to Cleveland cause he can then pass Wade.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 8968
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:One reason no one seems to talk about as it pertains to Lebron not joining the Lakers, is LBJ probably wants to end with the most rings, like any great. If he comes to the Lakers, he will never pass Kobe. Its one reason why I think he may go to Cleveland cause he can then pass Wade.


This crossed my mind seeing this thread this morning as well. Does LeBron want to help add to Kobe's ring count, or try to pass him?
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50916
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Weezy wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:One reason no one seems to talk about as it pertains to Lebron not joining the Lakers, is LBJ probably wants to end with the most rings, like any great. If he comes to the Lakers, he will never pass Kobe. Its one reason why I think he may go to Cleveland cause he can then pass Wade.


This crossed my mind seeing this thread this morning as well. Does LeBron want to help add to Kobe's ring count, or try to pass him?

I don't know about that.. If him & Kobe are able to get Melo to form a big 3 here, they'd win the next 2 for sure I think. If Kobe's estimate of playing 3 more years is accurate, he goes out with 7 & Lebron has 4 & still has Melo on his team. I understand they'll be 3 years older, but they'll both still be star players in 3 years, & Lebron has a good chance of still being the best player in the league.. I wouldn't rule out them still being able to keep getting back to the finals after Kobe retires.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Weezy wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:One reason no one seems to talk about as it pertains to Lebron not joining the Lakers, is LBJ probably wants to end with the most rings, like any great. If he comes to the Lakers, he will never pass Kobe. Its one reason why I think he may go to Cleveland cause he can then pass Wade.


This crossed my mind seeing this thread this morning as well. Does LeBron want to help add to Kobe's ring count, or try to pass him?

I don't know that it really matters THAT much to the younger guys. I think to Kobe the number matters because it's the only way he'll get compared to the greats at this point.

LeBron is getting compared to them all day all the time already. It's not as big of a deal.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby The Rock on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Have a strong feeling Melo might be a Laker next year. Knicks haven't really upgraded their roster while Chicago gets Derrick Rose back, Brooklyn has gotten better, Indiana is already better & they get Granger back. Might be no better than a 6 seed out in the East. I think we can get him out of NY, D'Antoni factor might be interesting.
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19981
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby 24/23goats on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:One reason no one seems to talk about as it pertains to Lebron not joining the Lakers, is LBJ probably wants to end with the most rings, like any great. If he comes to the Lakers, he will never pass Kobe. Its one reason why I think he may go to Cleveland cause he can then pass Wade.


This crossed my mind seeing this thread this morning as well. Does LeBron want to help add to Kobe's ring count, or try to pass him?

I don't know that it really matters THAT much to the younger guys. I think to Kobe the number matters because it's the only way he'll get compared to the greats at this point.

LeBron is getting compared to them all day all the time already. It's not as big of a deal.

I think it matters to lebron more than any other younger generation player. Lebron has stated he wants to go down as the GOAT like kobe has said. Melo on the other hand doesnt seem like the guy that has the drive to try to get the most rings or be the GOAT.

Melo is the most realistic option for the lakers imo. The Knicks arent making the right moves to put a championship team around him.
24/23goats

 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 am

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby chingy248 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Weezy wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:One reason no one seems to talk about as it pertains to Lebron not joining the Lakers, is LBJ probably wants to end with the most rings, like any great. If he comes to the Lakers, he will never pass Kobe. Its one reason why I think he may go to Cleveland cause he can then pass Wade.


This crossed my mind seeing this thread this morning as well. Does LeBron want to help add to Kobe's ring count, or try to pass him?


But why would LBJ worry that much about that? Kobe at max has 3 more years left. At most he'll win 2 if he's even lucky. After Kobe retires, this franchise has the reputation to build championship teams in a hurry. That is what Mitch should tell LBJ and that would be LBJ's opportunity to win more rings than Kobe after he retires in a couple of years
User avatar
chingy248

 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby The Rock on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Why would Lebron leave Miami as long as Pat Riley is at the helm
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19981
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby chingy248 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:08 pm

The Rock wrote:Why would Lebron leave Miami as long as Pat Riley is at the helm


Because we have Mike D'antoni
User avatar
chingy248

 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Tennessee

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:21 pm

:man10:
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11555
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby charvin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Good point, but the team's other Big 2 are breaking down or becoming invisible more and more.

- Wade's knees are going to continue to get worse and with his style of play of throwing himself at defenders, his game won't age as well without reliable and consistent jump shots which is a big weakness in his game
- Bosh just continues to disappear and only shows up some of the time

The Rock wrote:Why would Lebron leave Miami as long as Pat Riley is at the helm
charvin

 
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:29 pm

The Rock wrote:Why would Lebron leave Miami as long as Pat Riley is at the helm

Because that ship could be sinking and we as a franchise will be on the rise.

It's not that hard to understand... It's a long shot, but it's still a shot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 39978
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Barnstable, Google [Bot], Manve77 and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.