Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Is the the new breed of franchise superstar though, personified in James, if he does leave Miami? Yeah you're the franchise player for the team until times get tough. Then rather than do your best to get them back on top with F.O. help, you simply bolt to another city. Independent contractor. Hired gun.
LTLakerFan

Postby odom1year on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 pm

I would welcome Melo. We really need young stars to compete in the league.
odom1year

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:One reason no one seems to talk about as it pertains to Lebron not joining the Lakers, is LBJ probably wants to end with the most rings, like any great. If he comes to the Lakers, he will never pass Kobe. Its one reason why I think he may go to Cleveland cause he can then pass Wade.

Does Kobe actually think there’s a possibility LeBron could find his way into a purple and gold jersey in 2014? In an exclusive interview on Wednesday at Kobe’s Basketball Academy in Santa Barbara, Lakers Nation asked Kobe what incentive LeBron would have in helping Kobe win another ring? Once Kobe retires, James will inevitably be chasing the Black Mamba ring count, so what would entice him to increase Kobe’s? Bryant didn’t seem to think LeBron to the Lakers was that big of a stretch.

“It’s that argument that goes on forever,” Kobe told Lakers Nation at his basketball camp at UC Santa Barbara. “You don’t want to help someone else kind of increase their ring count, but he’s already increased Dwyane’s, so I don’t think it’s that big of a stretch.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/lebron-in-2014-kobe-says-its-not-that-big-of-a-stretch/2013/07/10/
wcsoldier81

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 pm

odom1year wrote:I would welcome Melo. We really need young stars to compete in the league.

Young star? Melo is a second tier star and will be 30. You want to give Melo a mega max deal? Seriously? This guy hasn't won jack and disappears in big games often.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby TSpence26 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 pm

I'd rather sign John Wall
TSpence26

Postby kenzo on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 am

TSpence26 wrote:I'd rather sign John Wall

I'd rather sign Kyrie Irving.
kenzo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 am

I'd rather sign Marcus Banks
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 am

If we got Lebron I think Melo or most other players would take a paycut to come join him & Kobe.. Lebron & Kobe on the same team is the closest thing to Shaq & Kobe on the same team.. That's guaranteed rings for anyone who wants to join
lakersin4

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:58 am

Rather beat Lebron then have him join L.A.

Steroid filled bricker with the green light to forearm shiv everyone out of the way? No thank you.
BadCoaching

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 am

BadCoaching wrote:Rather beat Lebron then have him join L.A.

Steroid filled bricker with the green light to forearm shiv everyone out of the way? No thank you.

I would also rather beat him than have him join us, but the odds of doing that seem to be pretty low.. Durant, Westbrook, & Harden couldn't do it.. A Pacers team seemingly constructed perfectly to beat the Heat couldn't do it.. The Spurs couldn't do it despite Manu being the only important player that didn't show up.. What combination of players are we going to get that will allow us to beat Lebron to win championships before Kobe retires? If we didn't have to wait until atleast 2015 for a shot at Durant, I could see it.. We might be able to get Melo but if Lebron & Kyrie stay put, who else is out there that we can possibly get that makes us better than all of those teams that failed to beat Lebron & get a championship? I'm not saying it's impossible to beat him, & Kobe is obviously the guy most up to the job.. But it's going to take much more than just Kobe. Durant is the only guy I'd take over Lebron right now & that simply isn't possible.. We should have asked Dwight if he wanted a S&T to go play with Westbrook instead of letting him walk to play with goatboy.

I'm sure I'll get crucified for this but the best case scenario big 3 for us next summer is Lebron, Kobe, Melo.. I know everyone will say Kyrie is a younger, Lebron & Melo play the same position, etc etc.. But Kyrie's injury problems really worry me.. I take Melo with a very low chance of serious injury vs. rolling the dice. Also, Kobe & Lebron will be handling the ball almost all of the time, a PG like Kyrie doesn't even make sense with those guys.. You ideally get a hustle player that hits spot up 3's & plays defense.. Atleast Melo & Lebron can get in the post some & be effective having the ball fed into them, makes them a bit less redundant than Kyrie would.

If you get Kobe, Lebron, Melo together, you won't have to worry about rebuilding for atleast 4-5 years, just surrounding them with the right role players, which won't be hard at all with that big 3.. I could see Dirk coming over for a huge paycut to get a guaranteed ring or 2.. Pau coming back cheap to be a part of history with Kobe. We'd get the cream of the crop ringchasers every season to the point where it wouldn't even be fair. We'd have to make some bigger tweaks in 3 years if Kobe retires then, but I think he'll play atleast 4 or 5 to pass MJ in rings & also pass Kareem. There's already plenty of other young star PG's out there & plenty more will come into the league in that window.. We can afford to wait it out for 1 that isn't injury prone..
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:31 am

lakersin4 wrote:I'm sure I'll get crucified for this but the best case scenario big 3 for us next summer is Lebron, Kobe, Melo.. I know everyone will say Kyrie is a younger, Lebron & Melo play the same position, etc etc.. But Kyrie's injury problems really worry me.. I take Melo with a very low chance of serious injury vs. rolling the dice. Also, Kobe & Lebron will be handling the ball almost all of the time, a PG like Kyrie doesn't even make sense with those guys.. You ideally get a hustle player that hits spot up 3's & plays defense.. Atleast Melo & Lebron can get in the post some & be effective having the ball fed into them, makes them a bit less redundant than Kyrie would.

No one should bash you at all for that, that's clearly the truth.

1. Getting Kyrie is almost impossible at this point. He'll be a RFA in a year and Cleveland is of course matching that offer. The Lakers best bet at Kyrie isn't for at least 5 years and yes his injury history is a concern. And yes he doesn't really fit in with LeBron at all since he's a ball dominant guard.

2. Carmelo and LeBron are the two biggest names in free agency. If we landed both of them, of course it'd be the best scenario. Do they fit perfectly? Of course not. But neither did Wade, LeBron, and Bosh. If you put that kind of talent together, they'll do what it takes to win.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:36 am

No I mean I understand the roster around Lebron is breaking down but Pat Riley is more than capable of retooling that roster...I mean come on guys we traded Pau 1 yr after he helped us win a ring you dont think he'd trade Bosh or replace him with other upgrades? But I agree its a good scenario to think about and it is a long shot I just dont see it happening theyre just a perfect fit over there in Miami, not to mention easier competition

Im hoping we go with Melo + Kobe+ Kyle Lowry + 2014 draft pick + Pau resigned for cheap...hopefully other role players will flock here

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 am

The Rock wrote:No I mean I understand the roster around Lebron is breaking down but Pat Riley is more than capable of retooling that roster...I mean come on guys we traded Pau 1 yr after he helped us win a ring you dont think he'd trade Bosh or replace him with other upgrades? But I agree its a good scenario to think about and it is a long shot I just dont see it happening theyre just a perfect fit over there in Miami, not to mention easier competition

Im hoping we go with Melo + Kobe+ Kyle Lowry + 2014 draft pick + Pau resigned for cheap...hopefully other role players will flock here

Miami is far from a perfect fit actually. It's why they lose sometimes.

LA isn't a perfect fit either, but we're not breaking down the way Wade is. Wade is basically clinging to LeBron's coat tails at this point. They lost a lot of games this off-season because Wade couldn't carry himself.

Can Miami retool their roster? Maybe. But not as quickly/effectively as we can. We have no one but Wade on our roster. Miami has been stuffing their bench with old cling ons which has worked, but they're having trouble financially now. It's a natural progression.

We could do the same thing, but... better. And newer. And as rich as LeBron is NOW, imagine LeBron with the Laker name? :man10: Same with Carmelo (albeit he's already close to maximizing his brand in New York so it's not as big of a difference).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nba2k14 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 pm

I don't like committing long-term MAX money to a 30s year old star declining prime. Melo doesn't strike me as a multiple dimensional impact player. He's pretty limited and in his 30s, he's going to struggle even more.
nba2k14

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Even if we had LBJ, Melo and Kobe with decent "chasers" roster to complement them, would that be enough to beat that dynasty they are building in Houston? :man1: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:28 pm

there's no dynasty in Houston. They'll only go far if Dwight accepts his role as the defensive anchor, and gets his through cleanups around the basket. If he tries to impose himself as the big black hole on offense, they'll struggle like we did with him.

As for Melo, I think his game will age well. He has a great shooting touch from outside and from midrange, and he has one of the great postup games in the league. Both of those skills age well. He's not an athletic player, and he doesn't depend on a fast first step to do damage. I think signing him as a FA at 30, for a 3 - 4 year deal will be great. Then sign another second-tier younger athletic guy, either in the post, or on the wing, and we can rebuild around our big three.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby nba2k14 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:there's no dynasty in Houston. They'll only go far if Dwight accepts his role as the defensive anchor, and gets his through cleanups around the basket. If he tries to impose himself as the big black hole on offense, they'll struggle like we did with him.

As for Melo, I think his game will age well. He has a great shooting touch from outside and from midrange, and he has one of the great postup games in the league. Both of those skills age well. He's not an athletic player, and he doesn't depend on a fast first step to do damage. I think signing him as a FA at 30, for a 3 - 4 year deal will be great. Then sign another second-tier younger athletic guy, either in the post, or on the wing, and we can rebuild around our big three.

If you want to know what Melo will be like in his 30s, look up Paul Pierce in his 30s.
nba2k14

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:41 pm

^Paul Pierce was good in his early thirties. I'm not saying sign Melo at 35. Sign him at 30.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Plot on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:03 am

Paul Pierce at age 30 was the Finals MVP against us. :man11:
Plot

Postby karacha on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:05 am

PP in his early 30 rocked. He was always a super solid all-around player.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby nba2k14 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:12 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:^Paul Pierce was good in his early thirties. I'm not saying sign Melo at 35. Sign him at 30.

That's what I'm saying. Be ready to enjoy the 1st one or two good seasons with Melo and suffer his declining last 2 years because Melo will most likely sign here for 4-years MAX.
nba2k14

Postby nba2k14 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:17 am

karacha wrote:PP in his early 30 rocked. He was always a super solid all-around player.

He was just a fringe All-Star at his 30 and 31. By 32, he literally drops below Rondo as an impact player on the Boston Celtics.
nba2k14

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:08 am

Melo has good footwork both on defense & in the post, & is good at creating space for jumpers.. His game is going to age very well I think. The Pierce comparison isn't too far off, but I think Melo has more tools & natural size to help him transition into his 30's.
lakersin4

Postby nba2k14 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:24 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Melo has good footwork both on defense & in the post, & is good at creating space for jumpers.. His game is going to age very well I think. The Pierce comparison isn't too far off, but I think Melo has more tools & natural size to help him transition into his 30's.

I heard of this talk from the Pau Gasol crowds and look what happen to the guy.
nba2k14

Postby wallangong on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:36 am

^ if you're going to argue against Melo at least have an actual point. The same was not said about Pau. So there is absolutely nothing accurate about your statement.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion