Carmelo Anthony: Yah or nay?

1) Yah
28%
2) Nay
40%
3) Not only no but hell no
31%

Total votes : 70

Re: Carmelo Anthony: prefers Bulls over Lakers - Woj (6)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 am

From what I've read/understand Carmelo and Kobe are very close. They know each other just fine by now and they know if they're going to play together. I don't think Howard would change his mind.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:49 am

I agree, no more 30 year old, malcontent, franchise destroying, trades and signings. I am not saying Melo is like that, I meant that more for Howard, but Melo has that aura around him even though I do not believe he is that bad. However, Lakers have an opening the next 2 season after this season ends, where they can use the draft position and their open space to get a championship team together and have that team contend with really young and in their prime players. Unless Lebron decides to come to the Lakers, Lakers must use this offseason to draft their next superstar, crossing my fingers its Wiggins or Embiid and than sign Love in 2015 and sign either Durant or Kyrie Irving in 2016.

To me, with this league destroying CBA, that is the only way the Lakers can get back into this in a short time. The only negative is, Kobe loses any shot at winning another title.
OX1947

Postby Center Court on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 pm

OX1947 wrote:I agree, no more 30 year old, malcontent, franchise destroying, trades and signings. I am not saying Melo is like that, I meant that more for Howard, but Melo has that aura around him even though I do not believe he is that bad. However, Lakers have an opening the next 2 season after this season ends, where they can use the draft position and their open space to get a championship team together and have that team contend with really young and in their prime players. Unless Lebron decides to come to the Lakers, Lakers must use this offseason to draft their next superstar, crossing my fingers its Wiggins or Embiid and than sign Love in 2015 and sign either Durant or Kyrie Irving in 2016.

To me, with this league destroying CBA, that is the only way the Lakers can get back into this in a short time. The only negative is, Kobe loses any shot at winning another title.

Very good points. That said, who cares about Kobe. He's getting paid $25,000,000 a year. Maybe he didn't "negotiate" but had his intentions to be to let brass know he's okay with $10-15MM per season we could have actually gone after Melo AND LeBron this season. Not saying it would have happened but we would have had the financial means to do so. Plus this lottery pick. Game over. Again, I highly doubt it would've happened but it would have created the opportunity to do so. At the very least, it means we would have had space necessary to go after legit add 2 superstars asap and then a third in 2016.

At this point, the only scenario I'm willing to sign Melo is if Thibs (or Carslise or Pop but that's not even possible) became available in addition to drafting Embiid. Go out sign Melo and Lowry and bring back some of our guys.Then I'd feel like we'd be ready for a serious run. Emiid/Pau/Melo/Kobe/Lowry. I feel like that team could make some noise. Only with the right coach.

I think in the end what we'll see is we re-sign Pau to a 1 year deal, bring back guys on 1 year deals, give Nick 3 years, and hope the lotto pick is enough to get us into the playoffs. Then Love.
Center Court

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Center Court wrote:
OX1947 wrote:I agree, no more 30 year old, malcontent, franchise destroying, trades and signings. I am not saying Melo is like that, I meant that more for Howard, but Melo has that aura around him even though I do not believe he is that bad. However, Lakers have an opening the next 2 season after this season ends, where they can use the draft position and their open space to get a championship team together and have that team contend with really young and in their prime players. Unless Lebron decides to come to the Lakers, Lakers must use this offseason to draft their next superstar, crossing my fingers its Wiggins or Embiid and than sign Love in 2015 and sign either Durant or Kyrie Irving in 2016.

Very good points. That said, who cares about Kobe. He's getting paid $25,000,000 a year. Maybe he didn't "negotiate" but had his intentions to be to let brass know he's okay with $10-15MM per season we could have actually gone after Melo AND LeBron this season. Not saying it would have happened but we would have had the financial means to do so. Plus this lottery pick. Game over. Again, I highly doubt it would've happened but it would have created the opportunity to do so. At the very least, it means we would have had space necessary to go after legit add 2 superstars asap and then a third in 2016.

At this point, the only scenario I'm willing to sign Melo is if Thibs (or Carslise or Pop but that's not even possible) became available in addition to drafting Embiid. Go out sign Melo and Lowry and bring back some of our guys.Then I'd feel like we'd be ready for a serious run. Emiid/Pau/Melo/Kobe/Lowry. I feel like that team could make some noise. Only with the right coach.

I think in the end what we'll see is we re-sign Pau to a 1 year deal, bring back guys on 1 year deals, give Nick 3 years, and hope the lotto pick is enough to get us into the playoffs. Then Love.

Exactly. Who cares if we can't "surround Kobe" with the talent needed to win a ring? He's the dude that took the contract that precluded us from signing more than one max FA this offseason. If Kobe really wanted to add more rings, he would have taken less money. He's obviously content to have 5 cause there is no conceivable way, short of Mitch raping someone, that we surround him with enough talent to beat the Heat, Pacers or Thunder. Yes, Jim came to him with this deal (Jim is an idiot too), but Kobe is a very smart guy and he knows what that does to the Lakers ability to surround him with quality.

Kobe chose money over rings. Period. End. of. Discussion.
Savory Griddles

Postby davriver290 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
Center Court wrote:

Exactly. Who cares if we can't "surround Kobe" with the talent needed to win a ring? He's the dude that took the contract that precluded us from signing more than one max FA this offseason. If Kobe really wanted to add more rings, he would have taken less money. He's obviously content to have 5 cause there is no conceivable way, short of Mitch raping someone, that we surround him with enough talent to beat the Heat, Pacers or Thunder. Yes, Jim came to him with this deal (Jim is an idiot too), but Kobe is a very smart guy and he knows what that does to the Lakers ability to surround him with quality.

Brutally said, but true. I too am still a bit disappointed Kobe decided to take this massive extension instead of turning it down and asking for a cut to sign more quality players. Now I know everyone says "Well it's Kobe he deserves it" "who'd turn down that much money?" etc... I realize that. But Kobe, is making bank with this team, he's making bank with his jersey sells, he is making bank with Nike, Sprite, Airlines and other things as well. He really should've declined it and at least went down to 10-12 mil a year. I know that's wishful thinking on my part, but it really should've been done. But what's done is done and we have to work with what we have. And right now, we gotta fine some diamond in the rough guys to get this to work.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Barnstable on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:30 am

Savory Griddles wrote:Kobe chose money over rings. Period. End. of. Discussion.

Lol, no not end of discussion.

This is a terrible argument. Every player in the NBA could take a pay cut to essentially give the money they would have made to another player to increase their chance at winning. Seems like people looked at Tim Duncan make a poor gamble on his contract to try to win another ring (unsuccessfully) and now this is the poor decision you wanted Kobe to make in doing business. By you guys standard, Tim Duncan chose rings over money... how's that working out for him? I'm sure he's happy with all the rings the Spurs won. He gave up 10 million+ dollars per year for nothing so far :man10:

I understand thinking with your heart, I do it all the time in regards to the Lakers, but the reality is that Kobe made the correct decision. You don't give away 10 million+ dollars for a chance at a title. That would be a dumb decision no matter how much you want it because:

A. You're not guaranteed any thing even if you do give up the money.

B. Why should you give up the money just so another player gets it? Why can't they take a pay cut too so your team can sign yet another star?

C. Who is to say you definitely won't win a title even after you take a full contract?

Let me offer a few other scenarios that are just as plausible "Player X could have" scenarios:

* An NBA player could offer to play for virtually nothing. After all if they're a great vet, they already made millions. If they really wanted to win, they could essentially give all their salary to another player.

* Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, Exum, Randle, etc... could all get together, forgo the draft, and walk on to the same team of their choice together with no NBA franchise tampering involved. Sign as walkons and try to create a dynasty. Get paid the big bucks later.

* LaBron, Durant, George, Love, Paul, and Howard, etc... could all get together, decide to retire from the game, to get out of their contracts, and rejoin the league by walking onto the team of their choice, what a year or two after retirement per the CBA? Boom! You have a super team!

All three above are ridiculous, but "could happen" if only the players wanted to win a ring bad enough.

You guys need to stop acing like your fantasy "he could have" scenario is in any way based in reality. A poor decision by Duncan is not precedent for how superstars are supposed to conduct business.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:09 am

Kobe wants to win it all his way .. nothing new here ...

More than the extension amount given by the FO ( which is beyond stupid for a 17 seasons veteran who is coming from a terrible injury) , it is the fact Kobe is delusional and still wants to be the number 1 option which is going to hurt our squad for the next couple of seasons ... Free agents won't be attracted by this and our rebuilding will be delayed.

A poor decision by Duncan ? He was insanely close to win it all ... he gave himself very good chances to win again by taking a paycut AND a step back on the floor ... and it's not like 10 M+ is minimum wage ... while Kobe will be the highest paid player ever ( career total) and collect 1st round exits at best .

I'm a Lakers fan so I'll take a player on my team who thinks like Duncan does over Kobe's own interests

At this point of his career , Kobe is not great enough anymore to not hurt our team by being this way ... his way
wcsoldier81

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 am

Supposedly, the Kobe contract talk went something like this:

Mitch/Jim: "If we pay you $$$, we have $ and here's our plan. If we pay you $$, we have $$ and here's our plan. If we pay you $, we have $$$ and here's our plan." I'm guessing they laid out FA targets and trade scenarios for each plan.

Kobe is incredibly intelligent and even more hungry for rings, so he didn't choose money over rings. I think the dude is more delusional than he is intelligent and thought he could have his cake and eat it too.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 am

Punk-101 wrote:Supposedly, the Kobe contract talk went something like this:

Mitch/Jim: "If we pay you $$$, we have $ and here's our plan. If we pay you $$, we have $$ and here's our plan. If we pay you $, we have $$$ and here's our plan." I'm guessing they laid out FA targets and trade scenarios for each plan.

Kobe is incredibly intelligent and even more hungry for rings, so he didn't choose money over rings. I think the dude is more delusional than he is intelligent and thought he could have his cake and eat it too.

actually it has been stated by Kobe and FO that it went like this:
Mitch: Kobe here is what we are offering you"
Kobe: I'll sign.

That is it. There was no negotiating or anything. FO came in with the number and Kobe signed it. I don't get how Kobe is delusional. It really looks like personal bias has affected many members both for and against Kobe in all this.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:43 am

Kobe got hosed...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am

The truth is -- we don't really know what happened behind closed doors. I know there has to be a reason for giving Kobe that contract and every other move that is made by Mitch and the FO in general. We can certainly agree or disagree with some of those moves, but Mitch is not crazy. He knows exactly why things are done they way they are done, and I'm sure he has a calculator and a spreadsheet somewhere. Basically, what I am saying is this: I'm sure there is some kind of plan the Lakers will try to execute very soon. Maybe this summer, maybe next summer. And if something does not go according to the plan, they probably have a plan "B".

I just find it difficult to accept that there is absolutely no plan, they are basically rolling dice to make decisions (or are mostly sitting around all day doing nothing), and they offered Kobe that contract without being aware of the cap space, etc. It just does not sound realistic.

At the same time, Mitch is not going to share all that info with us. He often makes generic statements, but does something totally different and/or unexpected in the offseason. Then we find out he was working hard on some of these "moves" for a long period of time.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:57 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
Center Court wrote:

Perfectly stated Savvory.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 am

karacha wrote:The truth is -- we don't really know what happened behind closed doors. I know there has to be a reason for giving Kobe that contract and every other move that is made by Mitch and the FO in general. We can certainly agree or disagree with some of those moves, but Mitch is not crazy. He knows exactly why things are done they way they are done, and I'm sure he has a calculator and a spreadsheet somewhere. Basically, what I am saying is this: I'm sure there is some kind of plan the Lakers will try to execute very soon. Maybe this summer, maybe next summer. And if something does not go according to the plan, they probably have a plan "B".

I just find it difficult to accept that there is absolutely no plan, they are basically rolling dice to make decisions (or are mostly sitting around all day doing nothing), and they offered Kobe that contract without being aware of the cap space, etc. It just does not sound realistic.

At the same time, Mitch is not going to share all that info with us. He often makes generic statements, but does something totally different and/or unexpected in the offseason. Then we find out he was working hard on some of these "moves" for a long period of time.

You may give Mitch to much power here ... Jim has the final say and I highly doubt Mitch can currently do his GM job as he used to "pre-Jim era" .

We can only judge a FO by the moves it made ... from the terrible coaches picks to the rushed and overpaid Kobe extension , I'm not confident about a "plan"
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:

That is it. There was no negotiating or anything. FO came in with the number and Kobe signed it. I don't get how Kobe is delusional. It really looks like personal bias has affected many members both for and against Kobe in all this.

Do you really believe there were no negotiations ? Even Ireland who is the definition of the company guy said it wasn't true .
wcsoldier81

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:20 am

@ wcsoldier: Fine, but Jim is not completely clueless either. I mean, these people have meetings. They talk. They have to have some sort of plan, or general strategy, vision, whatever. We can speculate or even discuss whether we think those ideas are good or bad, but they have to exist. Jim still has to make some decisions, then let Mitch know about them.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:10 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:A poor decision by Duncan ? He was insanely close to win it all ...

And he didn't win. There's no sugar coating it. There's no "almost". If he left money on the table to get a ring, the ring didn't happen, so he made a bad decision.

He gambled with 10M and lost. Or should I say, he gambled 10M for charity and lost since that 10M went to other less fortunate players on the Spurs.

I'm a Lakers fan so I'll take a player on my team who thinks like Duncan does over Kobe's own interests

We're all Lakers fans here. It's your anti-Kobe bias that makes you see this as anything other than normal on Kobe's part. Fans hoping he'd do what Duncan did was pipe. Hoping any other HoF player would do what Duncan did is pipe. I'm sure you would rather Duncan as a fan because he made a decision virtually no other star player has ever made as far as I know. But the fact that Nobody else has ever done what Duncan did should correct your lense for how to view this. Kobe didn't do anything new, or wrong here. He took the full contract like every other HOF player not named Duncan has done in NBA history.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:14 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:

My scenario is how John Ireland described it based on a source that was in the room. Maybe he was bs floor ratings. I think kobe's story may not conflict with Ireland's. Mitch laid out several options and Kobe took the first, highest one...no negotiations.

I meant he's delusional for thinking that he can win a ring while taking up $24m of the cap...unless the FO has one hell of a plan...which they might.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 am

A fair deal for both sides, would have been 17-18 million dollars per season IMO. There is no reason for a 20+ million dollar deal for a 35 year old coming off an achilles injury.

Starting at the regular max deal should have been enough to make the point that we take care of our players and that we have enough room to add more pieces. Adding 6-7 million dollars in salary cap room would have been huge.

The FO is stupid for giving him that deal and Kobe gets blame for not realizing what the FO was doing was stupid.

We give players some of the most ridiculous contracts that we end up regretting after a year or two. That's one thing that we are very poor at and that is getting a feel for the value of a player.

Kobe - Outbid ourselves right out of the gate
Nash - 3rd year didn't have an out on a 40 year old player that was in decline
Blake - Too many years, too little production
Luke - I still feel like he has 2 years left on his deal.
MWP - Too many years, not enough outs.

The FO needs to re-evaluate what a good contract is and the worth of those deals.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Barnstable on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:36 am

Doc Brown wrote:A fair deal for both sides, would have been 17-18 million dollars per season IMO. There is no reason for a 20+ million dollar deal for a 35 year old coming off an achilles injury.

Starting at the regular max deal should have been enough to make the point that we take care of our players and that we have enough room to add more pieces. Adding 6-7 million dollars in salary cap room would have been huge.

The FO is stupid for giving him that deal and Kobe gets blame for not realizing what the FO was doing was stupid.

We give players some of the most ridiculous contracts that we end up regretting after a year or two. That's one thing that we are very poor at and that is getting a feel for the value of a player.

Kobe - Outbid ourselves right out of the gate
Nash - 3rd year didn't have an out on a 40 year old player that was in decline
Blake - Too many years, too little production
Luke - I still feel like he has 2 years left on his deal.
MWP - Too many years, not enough outs.

The FO needs to re-evaluate what a good contract is and the worth of those deals.

Now I agree with most of that. The FO should have offered less. I just can't fault Kobe for taking what was offered when all but one other NBA HoF player (that I know of) has done the same.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:37 am

Doc Brown wrote:A fair deal for both sides, would have been 17-18 million dollars per season IMO.

This is what I suggested even before the contract was signed, but... nothing we can do about it now.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 am

I stand by the idea that Kobe's contract amount and when he signed were not a coincidence. I truly believe a factor in this contract was sending a message to other free agents (especially great ones) who come to LA that we'll take care of you even after you're injured. Don't worry about the cash you leave on the table now, it's coming back in due time if you give us our due championship.

Now was that the right move? Right now it's clear that it wasn't a great move in the short term. :man10: But over the long term who knows? Irving and Love have made it clear through back channels that they'd like to be here eventually. Westbrook's name has come out of Ireland's mouth as one that the Lakers are interested in and I could see some mutual interest there. Embiid and Exum have shown interest in the Lakers and that's all after the deal went down.

Are those related? Maybe and maybe not, but it certainly would make me look if I were a young free agent.

For now though it really stinks and has us in a bind. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:52 am

^Exactly.

The Magic $25M/25 year contract was more ludicrous and asinine than this one....the salary cap back then (when they instituted one) was $3 MILLION dollars. $3 million. Three.

And somehow the Lakers won 3 titles after that. Did Shaq look back at the gesture when he signed that contract in 1996? Did Kobe remember it when he all but forced his way onto the Lakers as high school player?

The same Kobe that did a draft workout for the Celtics, who at the time in terms of rings were more successful than the Lakers?

And for those who rebut the idea that we can still build a contender with Kobe's contract, see Barnstable's post from last night. There is no guarantee for rings. You would have done the same in Kobe's situation. Love, Melo, and Irving could just as easily take pay cuts to join the Lakers.

Why should Kobe be the one to take the pay cut? He's the one with the resume & results. To say absolutely that "Kobe chose money over rings" is just ridiculous.
Chillbongo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Barnstable wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:A poor decision by Duncan ? He was insanely close to win it all ...

And he didn't win. There's no sugar coating it. There's no "almost". If he left money on the table to get a ring, the ring didn't happen, so he made a bad decision.

He gambled with 10M and lost. Or should I say, he gambled 10M for charity and lost since that 10M went to other less fortunate players on the Spurs.

We're all Lakers fans here. It's your anti-Kobe bias that makes you see this as anything other than normal on Kobe's part. Fans hoping he'd do what Duncan did was pipe. Hoping any other HoF player would do what Duncan did is pipe. I'm sure you would rather Duncan as a fan because he made a decision virtually no other star player has ever made as far as I know. But the fact that Nobody else has ever done what Duncan did should correct your lense for how to view this. Kobe didn't do anything new, or wrong here. He took the full contract like every other HOF player not named Duncan has done in NBA history.

Sure I'm a Kobe hater ... not saying amen to everything Kobe does will give you this "title" here ..

I should have said " I'm a Lakers fan first" ... a significant amount of members are Kobe fans 1st ( some openly said it) so they worry more about his career than the Lakers success ...

You can defend Kobe all you want ... you can't say you put "winning over everything else" and then sign this contract ...
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Doc Brown wrote:A fair deal for both sides, would have been 17-18 million dollars per season IMO. There is no reason for a 20+ million dollar deal for a 35 year old coming off an achilles injury.

The timing was another huge mistake ... you give a huge extension before knowing how an old player coming off an achilles injury will perform on the floor and what his health will be ... You pay him 30 millions for 6 games this season ... nothing is telling us if Kobe will be able to play the majority of the games scheduled for the next 2 seasons regardless of the performance level ...

As for Kobe realizing , his reaction after signing this extension was " there is room for another max player" ... so he actually thinks he + another max player are enough to win a title ...
wcsoldier81

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:08 pm

^ And a draft pick :man1:

The tank may have been in long before the fans realized it. :man12:
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion