Chris Kaman Discussion: Submarino Amarillo to Portlandia

Re: Chris Kaman Discussion: It's Captain Caaavemaaaaan

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Weezy wrote:I hope he can stay healthy this season, because if he can he's as solid a backup center as you can get and Pau will need to be able to be rested. He reminds me of a not skinny Chris Mihm, he can shoot (though he didn't shoot a good percentage tonight), and he has post moves, but isn't a great athlete or defender. Still, he was moving well, not as slow as I anticipated. He did get 10 boards as well, he can't jump, but he can box out and use his size.

Totally agree. Glad to have him. Stay healthy Caveman.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Weezy wrote:I hope he can stay healthy this season, because if he can he's as solid a backup center as you can get and Pau will need to be able to be rested. He reminds me of a not skinny Chris Mihm, he can shoot (though he didn't shoot a good percentage tonight), and he has post moves, but isn't a great athlete or defender. Still, he was moving well, not as slow as I anticipated. He did get 10 boards as well, he can't jump, but he can box out and use his size.

Totally agree. Glad to have him. Stay healthy Caveman.

He's definitely looked solid. A little too solid to me. I feel like he'll be wasting away on the bench a little bit unless Pau gets moved.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:20 pm

I think their will be plenty of minutes for both, Pau is old and needs less minutes, so Kaman will get time. If anyone is odd man out it's Sacre, but he might even get time too, he hasn't looked bad at all.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Magic Skywalker on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm not going to deceive myself thinking Kaman is better than Dwight or something like that, but damn, he does gives us pretty much everything Dwight lacked. Good locker room guy, acceptable post moves, good midrange, nice passing skills and he's putting effort into the game.... Oh, and he makes free throws.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:48 pm

And he keeps the shots he blocks in bounds by hitting them off his teammates face.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby SK8 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Kaman with dunkathon lol :man1: Pau, Young and Nash served him perfectly, nice game.
That assist from Nash over head was awesome, it was like they are playing for long time together, that tell's you something.....
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 pm

He plays really well, and actually has good chemistry with Pau. Good passer too, nice fundamentals. Too bad he is so slow, but hey... can't have everything.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:50 pm

^He isn't as slow and sluggish as I remember though. He has some mobility and has acceptable jumping ability for some of those dunks.

Offensively, he's anti-Dwight.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:00 pm

From NBA.com's highlights, he's anti-Dwight alright. Keeps the ball above his waist and doesn't take too much time to gather (if any) and goes straight up.
charvin

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 pm

liked his off ball movement with ball. showed a lot of chemistry already there and potential with both of them sharing the court. both can pass shoot and i like kaman throwing it down everytime he could esp after that nash pass. pau and kaman look good so far with better perimeter d and length helping them
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:24 pm

I like this guy already, he just goes out there and plays, no drama, no attitude. Defensively, sure we're lucky if he's decent this season (though from what I've seen so far one on one he can stand his ground) , but offensively the guy knows the game, puts himself in good spots, can shoot, can pass, boxes out well.

I didn't think he and Pau were gonna be able to play together at all, and against fast teams they probably still shouldn't, but they can definitely play together at least some of the time, and do pretty well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:24 am

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 6h
Pau Gasol raving about Chris Kaman: "His versatility, knowledge of the game and his unselfishness really helps our combination work well."
Expand

He is the anti-Dwight. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:43 am

12/7 in 24 minutes. What's not to love?

So far he's done the dirty work and worked hard all over the place. I love it. Stay healthy please.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:07 pm

loving what i've seen so far from kaman. he and pau already have better chemistry than whatshisface and pau ever did. his offensive game also makes dwight looks like he belongs in another sport.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:39 am

Chris Kaman hurts finger while tobogganing at Great Wall of China
print
Comments
Email

By Mike Bresnahan
October 13, 2013, 7:37 a.m.
BEIJING -- The Lakers have experienced Kobe Bryant's torn Achilles, Pau Gasol's knee problems and Steve Nash's broken leg over the last year.

Now there's the tobogganing injury sustained by Chris Kaman at the Great Wall of China.

One of his fingers was squashed while he was sledding down a slippery concrete track after trekking along the wall for two hours Sunday with Lakers teammates and staffers.

His sled, essentially a wheeled cart with a brake, was rammed from behind by teammate Shawne Williams. Kaman instinctively put out his hand as he saw Williams careening toward him and, well, ouch.

Visitors to the Mutianyu portion of the wall take a gondola or cable car to the top of a hill where the wall is located. They can return the same way or take the toboggan down.

"I didn't hit the brake the whole time. Guys on the edge were yelling 'Slow down' and I just kept going," Kaman said. "All of a sudden I catch up to this guy close to the bottom, so now I have to brake. Shawne Williams comes behind me without hitting his brake at all and just smashed right into me."

Williams was going 20-25 mph hour and Kaman was going only about 3 mph at the time of the collision, Kaman said.

"My hand smashed right between the two sleds. I didn't feel the end of my finger for, like, an hour," Kaman said, extending a bandaged, swollen middle finger. "It's starting to throb a little right now."

Will he play Tuesday against Golden State in an exhibition here?

"Yeah, I'll be fine," he said.

Don't start pulling the Steve Blake. It probably could have gone a lot worse, so I hope it's nothing serious.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:01 am

... :bang:

Knuckleheads. Knuckleheads!

It's alright. Kaman is a tough guy. They're on a vacation for all intents and purposes. I don't think this type of thing will be a normal occurrence when they come back home. As long as there's no long term damage, it's not that bad.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:27 am

Could be worse ... see Rodney Stuckey ... but yeah this shouldn't happen .. be smarter Chris
wcsoldier81

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:20 pm

^^ What did he do?
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Kaman isn't letting that stop him from playing
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:29 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:^^ What did he do?

car door
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby bystander on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:22 pm

I saw very little of him, only CM highlights, I still haven't seen an entire game this season, but I liked what I saw of him and he and Pau can be a solid pair of big men.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby GoldenChocobo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:29 pm

At least he didn't step on a spike strip.
GoldenChocobo

Postby karacha on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:02 pm

He is beasting right now. Except on defense, but I did not expect him to play great D anyway. He plays with heart, and his passes are very "crisp" too. He fits well and I'm sure MDA loves him. Dude can shoot too. Very smooth jumper... except he does not really jump much at all. It's a set shot really, bit very nice. From 18 ft, it's pretty much 2 pts every time, except if he gets pushed around a little.

His work ethic or locker room presence is never a question. He'll do great. His health however... let's hope for the best.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:30 pm

The thing about his jump shot he gets a lot of movement in it with his body. Great form, great technique. It's a really nice looking shot. I never really watched him much before he came here, but that's a great looking shot. And at 7 feet it's hard to defend.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I think he should hurt his finger more often. Kaman was 8-8 from the field and grabbed 10 boards.

He showed in that he could hit the outside shot and has some nice footwork which led to 1 or 2 baby hooks.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion