Chris Kaman Discussion: Submarino Amarillo to Portlandia

Re: Chris Kaman Discussion: It's Captain Caaavemaaaaan

Postby Manve77 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 am

What Gasol has over Kaman is passing. Pau stinks offensively all season long. Only when Kobe came back and vs Wolves he had glimpses of old self. Kaman defensively right now is better then Pau. Offensively Kaman is OK, when playing regular minutes, but not as good as Pau (used to be). He needs more playing time which is unlikely with MDA.
Spartak Moscow. Lakers. Penguins. Liverpool. Lazio. Barcelona. River Plate.
Manve77

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:46 am

Good defense & rebounding.. He was horrible on offense but then again our offense as a whole was putrid so I won't put that on Kaman.
LakersN4

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:51 am

Meh…. "horrible" not really right word, just not dropping his shots last night. He got them off fine for the most part with good moves. Kinda like Pau all year until recently and at the start of the season, except you also had to mix non aggressively going to the basket with Pau while the ankle was a bigger problem than now.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:13 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Meh…. "horrible" not really right word, just not dropping his shots last night. He got them off fine for the most part with good moves. Kinda like Pau all year until recently and at the start of the season, except you also had to mix non aggressively going to the basket with Pau while the ankle was a bigger problem than now.

Pau moves the ball much, much, much better than Kaman ever has. Kaman simply isn't a good passer and rarely shows the ability to pass the ball at all. When he's got the ball, he's going to shoot it 9 times out of 10.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:19 am

I thought Kaman played really well tonight aside from those few travel calls on him (but I'm not sure I've ever seen so many travel calls in one game, honestly). Liked what I saw from him. No way should he have been in the doghouse so long. Or even at all.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 am

Lakerjones wrote:I thought Kaman played really well tonight aside from those few travel calls on him (but I'm not sure I've ever seen so many travel calls in one game, honestly). Liked what I saw from him. No way should he have been in the doghouse so long. Or even at all.

The problem is Pau.

If Pau played like a 19 million dollar player, we wouldn't complain about seeing Kaman on the bench because we'd get that production that we need. But with Pau playing so poorly and so inconsistently, he really hurts having a good option ride the pine. Unfortunately... Pau makes 19 million dollars. We can't afford to just have him sit on the bench. We need him to play so we can try to get someone to bite on a trade or try to get production out of him.

Our team is crowded with role players. We need a couple stars. Until then guys like Kaman are going to lose minutes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:39 am

The problem is Pau in more than 1 way.. Not only is his lack of living up to his contract a big reason we want to see Kaman get minutes, him being slow & lazy on defense is why D'antoni won't play him next to Kaman. Pau is going to get his minutes regardless, so D'antoni likes to keep him next to Hill, Wes, or Sacre since they all give more effort on defense.. If Kaman wasn't slow like Pau he'd be seeing the floor more I'm sure.
LakersN4

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:13 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:I thought Kaman played really well tonight aside from those few travel calls on him (but I'm not sure I've ever seen so many travel calls in one game, honestly). Liked what I saw from him. No way should he have been in the doghouse so long. Or even at all.

The problem is Pau.

If Pau played like a 19 million dollar player, we wouldn't complain about seeing Kaman on the bench because we'd get that production that we need. But with Pau playing so poorly and so inconsistently, he really hurts having a good option ride the pine. Unfortunately... Pau makes 19 million dollars. We can't afford to just have him sit on the bench. We need him to play so we can try to get someone to bite on a trade or try to get production out of him.

Our team is crowded with role players. We need a couple stars. Until then guys like Kaman are going to lose minutes.

I'll have to disagree with you realdeal. To me the obvious problem is exactly what I stated - it's D' Antoni's doghouse and really, Williams.

Don't get me wrong - Shawne Williams is a good story, a nice second chance. On paper he looked like a great fit, and obviously D' Antoni really likes him as he invited him here and continues to play him.

He has a nice outside shooting form, but mostly I see him rushing his shots, not setting his feet like he did in pre-season where he looked a LOT better all around.

I just don't think Williams deserves any minutes at this point. I've seen him out there and most of the time he's incredibly ineffective. It's like long stretches go by like last night or against Miami where he just makes absolutely NO impact at all.

Honestly, I feel like Williams is our least valuable/effective big man. He doesn't deserve any of Hill's minutes or Kaman's minutes for sure. Hardly any of Pau's minutes, who even when not playing his best out there is still a viable offensive player. At this point I really feel that both Sacre and Kelley are bringing more than Williams.

I just see Williams as kind of a big nothing out there now. I don't know what his +/- is, but it really can't be good. Not from the eye test. He gets burned on defense regularly now, and his shooting is garbage, too. His rebounding was never anything to write home about.

He'd be our last big to get off the bench in my world. But D' Antoni is really stuck on him and will play him over Hill at times and definitely most of the time over Kaman.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LooN3y on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

its cuz williams is a stretch 4

:bang:
LooN3y

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Williams is a problem for sure, but if Pau was playing like a 19 million dollar player then Williams wouldn't warrant more than 5-10 minutes a game anyway. Even if D'Antoni wanted him to play more.

If Pau played up to his contract, he'd be taking those minutes forcibly from Williams. There'd be no question about the rotation at all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby odom1year on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 am

I don't think MDA knows how to use center. MDA is done. Nash makes him.
odom1year

Postby LooN3y on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 am

The man had Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill, Antwan Jamison

as his front court, the man had dwight in the post and have him play hakeem, Gasol shooting 3's, inconsistent minutes with hill, and put jamison in the doghouse, his beloved stretch 4.

he damn sure doesnt know how to use bigmen, nor can he control his players, nor can he correctly motivate them.

i really wonder how we would of fared if we just stuck with the triangle.

less toll on nash's body playing a triangle PG, cover up all of cowards lack of fundamentals. break away play some 2 man game when needed, and eventually get our bench mob back and run the floor.
LooN3y

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 am

LooN3y wrote:The man had Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill, Antwan Jamison

as his front court, the man had dwight in the post and have him play hakeem, Gasol shooting 3's, inconsistent minutes with hill, and put jamison in the doghouse, his beloved stretch 4.

he damn sure doesnt know how to use bigmen, nor can he control his players, nor can he correctly motivate them.

i really wonder how we would of fared if we just stuck with the triangle.

less toll on nash's body playing a triangle PG, cover up all of cowards lack of fundamentals. break away play some 2 man game when needed, and eventually get our bench mob back and run the floor.
We knew he couldn't use bigs anywhere except the P&R when we got him.. That's why there was all the hype that Dwight/Nash would be the best P&R combo in the league.. No question we should have hired Phil to get the most out of Kobe/Pau/Dwight but what's done is done.. Aslong as D'antoni is here we shouldn't be bringing in bigs that do anything besides P&R or shoot 3's.
LakersN4

Postby LakeShow09 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 pm

D'Antoni with the shot at Kaman :disagree: :disagree:

LakeShow09

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:19 pm

'Antoni thinks he's hilarious is all, making jokes about how bad we are or taking shots at himself even is just his schtick.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby davriver290 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:10 am

what did he say? "try anything"?
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:21 am

Weezy wrote:'Antoni thinks he's hilarious is all, making jokes about how bad we are or taking shots at himself even is just his schtick.

Still the same jerk we used to make fun of. Now unfortunately we have to listen to him every game.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:11 am

I'm on D'Antoni's side with this one.

I hate watching Kaman play probably 90% of the time. He either doesn't pass, makes a bad pass the defense sees coming, or makes a pass so bad that his teammates don't see it coming. He's not efficient enough with his offense, but he takes a ton of shots.

Defensively he's alright, but he's so slow that he's not really effective against a quick team like the Clippers. If I were his teammate I honestly wouldn't want to play with him very often. It's annoying to watch.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:01 am

Yes, he's a good player, but his passing is a problem. Pau gets people involved constantly. Kaman can't do that. When he gets the ball, he can't do much with it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:11 am

So why exactly are we expecting Kaman to be able to do everything Pau does? He's a mini mle signing not a 19M a year player that was the 2nd option on back to back championship teams.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 am

LakersN4 wrote:So why exactly are we expecting Kaman to be able to do everything Pau does? He's a mini mle signing not a 19M a year player that was the 2nd option on back to back championship teams.

I expect him to play team basketball I don't care how much his contract is for.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 am

Sacre > Kaman.
Helljumper

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:36 am

Fwiw, Kaman looked like a much better passer early in the season when our cast of misfits was overachieving & the offense was actually clicking. But he'll never be anywhere near Pau in that department.. Pau is 1 of the best passing bigs to ever play the game.
LakersN4

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 am

I don't think Kaman should be playing at all right now, except to show him off for potential trade partners. I'd rather see Sacre/Hill/Kelly get the run and experience.

Ideally, it would be time to get rid all of our vets (Except Kobe) for 2nd rounders and bringing in guys like Marshall on those 900k non-guaranteed two year deals.

See if we can hit on 1 or 2 more players that can contribute next season for dirt cheap.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:58 am

Sacre and Marshall so far look like 1-2 players on dirt cheap contracts that can contribute. I'm digging it.

Thanks to Henry's injury we might be able to keep him around for cheap. Young and Farmar we might have to pay. We could probably keep Wes if we want to, but I don't know that he fits the system necessarily.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion