Clark our starting 4. Hill our backup 4. (Youth&D)

Clark our starting 4. Hill our backup 4. (Youth&D)

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Come on Mike, I'm of looking at our slow team when we have lottery picks just sitting on the bench.
Clark coming out of college
STRENGTHS:
- Mismatch Potential
- Pick and roll play
- Transition play
- Ability to create own shot
- Ball-handling skills w/either hand
- Excellent hands
- Ability to contest shots
- Lateral quickness
- Pick and roll defense
- Shot-blocking skills
- Versatility to defend multiple positions
- Huge upside
- Positional versatility
- Court vision
- Passing skills
- Body control
- Excellent first step
- Explosiveness
- NBA body
- Size for position
- Wingspan
- Offensive rebounding
WEAKNESSES:
- Go-to scoring mentality
- Shot-selection
- Stuck between 3 and 4
- Turnover prone
- Back to basket scoring
- Off-ball defense
- Not productive enough
- Ability to finish through contact
- 3-point shooting percentages
- Ability to shoot off the dribble
- Free throw shooting
- Low shooting percentages
From DraftExpress.com a credible draft site.

Clark would be in for the garbage areas our starting team lacks. Defense, lateral quickness why do you think we don't get loose balls, force turnovers. We can't be old and slow at every positions. Sure Gasol is a good passer at this point, but Clark isn't bad at this point, that Gasols biggest strength. Clark is a big 6'10 he can guard opposing 4's. Gasol is just too slow now to be a power forward. Did you guys not see Blake Griffin just blow right passed him. It's not that Gasol doesn't care, he just isn't quick enough. Earl is a athletic player we need in our starting lineup. If we are are to sub in Jordan Hill who is a better rebounder then Clark but less offensive game. Suddenly our 4 spot looks young and athletic.

Look at this rotation when players return
C
Dwight Gasol
Dwight hopefully we be back to full strength by the playoffs if we want to have a chance. Regardless he is a still one of the more mobile and athletic players at his position this season. I know Gasol makes so much but when he gets back I would want him as this teams 6th man. His minutes will be down, but he is a team player and I would like to see him go against back up bigs, or tired bigs and be force fed the ball while on the court against the second team

PF
Clark Hill
Playing next to Howard will allow Clark to play the 4. Clark isn't the best shooter at3pt range as a 3 but he can make that elbow jumper. Like I started earlier he can bring some needed D and youth to the starting lineup. Perhaps injuries were a blessing in the disguise. Clark won't be a go to scoring option but get garbage points and can play good pick and roll defense. Gasol is just a liability at the 4 now. We need more mobility! Hill will see plenty of minutes and will continue to provide energy

SF
MWP Ebanks
When the playoffs start I think World Peace is going have to log in 40 minutes a game. He still is a great defender capable of playing tough Defense against the other teams best wing. Suddenly a front court of Howard, Clark, MWP looks imposing. MWP has been hitting his shots when he isn't having to create. I would like to bring him off the bench but we lack other options, idk how Morris will provide in the big lights. Ebanks is knucklehead. I wish we could add another wing that can score (cough cough CDR, or TERRENCE WIlliams). I hope Mike gives Ebanks one more chance in a couple spot minutes, maybe Jamison can do something at the 3. Area of concern of the depth, which I hope Mitch can address. But we do have a solid defender of wings in Kobe

SG
Kobe, Meeks
Kobe is the man still. He can score with the best of them. He is still a good athlete, good defender when he zones in, but in the regular season he has lapses. Both him and Nash are not great defensive players or the quickest at their position. Which makes me want to surround them with other Defensive minded players D12, Clark, MWP. Depending on match ups Kobe can take on the lesser wing, to save energy on offense. Only concern would be against star guards CP3, Westbrook where we might go more smaller to slide Kobe at the 3 and play a Morris or Blake to guards a point. Meeks is an average defenders who needs to know his limits. Work on his jumper with Kobe in am too! We aren't in bad shape here

PG
Nash, Blake or Duhon
Nash is great on offense but defensive is another story. I say since we are an older team we run a unconventional 10 man rotation in the playoffs or down the stretch.We don't have a ball hawk defender at the 1 spot like an Avery Bradley or Bledsoe. But if we run our rotations smarter ala, Bench Gasol, Increase Hill minutes, start Clark, add another athletic wing, work on help D, build chemistry, might be able to overcome this disadvantage. Alot of variables go into play with our back up 1 spot, does Morris fade out I do like his defense but im not sold on him yet, will Blake contribute. We have Bodies.

In conclusion:
Bench Gasol, Increase Hill minutes, start Clark, get healthy, add another athletic wing, work on help D, build chemistry on both sides of the ball. I think we can sneak in the playoffs and see what happens when we are there
Last edited by Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Re: Clark our starting 4. Hill our backup 4. (Youth&D)

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 pm

I like getting Gasol back in the low post, but will he perform coming off the bench? He's not Mr confidence...

Loved what I saw from Clark tonight, but he didnt have a TON of impact in the Houston game. Lets give the young fella some more minutes first and see how he does with them.
phoenixrisingla

Postby noobiew on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Clark bring us youth, energy and hustle. He is our backup 3 and Hill as our backup 4.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm

He was great tonight. No doubt. He should get more minutes. He deserves it. However, let's hope he can harness this into every game. Clark's problem has always been his consistency similar to Ebanks. I do think he has the potential to be a solid backup 3/4; I just need to see Clark do it on a game to game basis.

Similar to Jordan Hill; last year, he was given a shot in the OKC game, and he played well. He took advantage of increased minutes, works hard, and now his our best bench player. Consistency is so key, though...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

But didn't you guys see how well Clark played around the rim. He is quick, and very Long. He isn't as good at the perimeter, the biggest knock on him is shooting there. He can hit the elbow shot at an efficient rate. If we had a Hill and Clark combo at the 4: two guys young, athletic, hungry, with some skill, next to Dwight we will be ok. Why the heck do you think little guys like Faried have good games against us. He looks like Dennis Rodman against Pau because he is alot quicker and avoids being boxed out. Gasol is going have to suck it up, he is a team player and I think he could thrive as the man off the bench. From the last 5 years Gasol is a team player, and he will need to remember he is being paid 17 million regardless
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Armani on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Hahaha, get real guys. ONE GOOD GAME DOES NOT MAKE HIM A STARTER. He still has to prove himself. Producing results CONSISTENTLY. He's getting a crack at the rotation for now, that should be more than enough.
Armani

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:15 pm

Vlade_12 wrote:But didn't you guys see how well Clark played around the rim. He is quick, and very Long. He isn't as good at the perimeter, the biggest knock on him is shooting there. He can hit the elbow shot at an efficient rate. If we had a Hill and Clark combo at the 4: two guys young, athletic, hungry, with some skill, next to Dwight we will be ok. Why the heck do you think little guys like Faried have good games against us. He looks like Dennis Rodman against Pau because he is alot quicker and avoids being boxed out. Gasol is going have to suck it up, he is a team player and I think he could thrive as the man off the bench. From the last 5 years Gasol is a team player, and he will need to remember he is being paid 17 million regardless

No, we saw. And agree.

But you dont win starting spots on the Lakers based on one game.

Even this year.

More minutes, lets see if he can keep it up.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:He was great tonight. No doubt. He should get more minutes. He deserves it. However, let's hope he can harness this into every game. Clark's problem has always been his consistency similar to Ebanks. I do think he has the potential to be a solid backup 3/4; I just need to see Clark do it on a game to game basis.

Similar to Jordan Hill; last year, he was given a shot in the OKC game, and he played well. He took advantage of increased minutes, works hard, and now his our best bench player. Consistency is so key, though...

True small sample size. But what I like about Clark is that Duncan couldn't abuse him in the post. Clark was doing this playing center! Lets look at the playoff teams Power Fowards out west
Blake, Ibaka, Duncan, Randolph, Lee, Morris, Alridge, Faried
Clark is bigger then all these guys except Alridge. Alridge and Randolph might be a challenge, but all these guys light us up simply by using their quickness over Pau in the post. That will end with Clark. Howard has proven he is more effective next to a mobile/stretch 4 ala Ryan Anderson/Rasard Lewis. Clark is the shooter they are, but he is a good mid range shooter and a big body rebounder. A combo quick forward with Howard will work. Nash will also make him look better too, and perhaps he will reach his potential
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Armani wrote:Hahaha, get real guys. ONE GOOD GAME DOES NOT MAKE HIM A STARTER. He still has to prove himself. Producing results CONSISTENTLY. He's getting a crack at the rotation for now, that should be more than enough.

seeing Gasol play soft the past two postseasons makes me realize he isn't a power foward. Being outplayed by Landry, Dirk, Faried, Ibaka...All these defensive lapses this season makes me realize Gasol is not a 4 no longer. I want a rotation of J Hill and Clark at the 4. I would give Hill more minutes and make him the 4 of this team, but I love his energy off the bench.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
Vlade_12 wrote:But didn't you guys see how well Clark played around the rim. He is quick, and very Long. He isn't as good at the perimeter, the biggest knock on him is shooting there. He can hit the elbow shot at an efficient rate. If we had a Hill and Clark combo at the 4: two guys young, athletic, hungry, with some skill, next to Dwight we will be ok. Why the heck do you think little guys like Faried have good games against us. He looks like Dennis Rodman against Pau because he is alot quicker and avoids being boxed out. Gasol is going have to suck it up, he is a team player and I think he could thrive as the man off the bench. From the last 5 years Gasol is a team player, and he will need to remember he is being paid 17 million regardless

No, we saw. And agree.

But you dont win starting spots on the Lakers based on one game.

Even this year.

I been a big Clark fan. I wanted him to get a chance, and I hope he can keep it up. Just the little things he is capable of. Putting a body on people on boxs out, pick and roll d, hustle, energy, quickness, heart. He can easily bring these things. Scoring over 20 and playing this well is dreaming, but I still think he can bring something to this old starting unit
More minutes, lets see if he can keep it up.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Vlade_12 wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:He was great tonight. No doubt. He should get more minutes. He deserves it. However, let's hope he can harness this into every game. Clark's problem has always been his consistency similar to Ebanks. I do think he has the potential to be a solid backup 3/4; I just need to see Clark do it on a game to game basis.

True small sample size. But what I like about Clark is that Duncan couldn't abuse him in the post. Clark was doing this playing center! Lets look at the playoff teams Power Fowards out west
Blake, Ibaka, Duncan, Randolph, Lee, Morris, Alridge, Faried
Clark is bigger then all these guys except Alridge. Alridge and Randolph might be a challenge, but all these guys light us up simply by using their quickness over Pau in the post. That will end with Clark. Howard has proven he is more effective next to a mobile/stretch 4 ala Ryan Anderson/Rasard Lewis. Clark is the shooter they are, but he is a good mid range shooter and a big body rebounder. A combo quick forward with Howard will work. Nash will also make him look better too, and perhaps he will reach his potential

You make solid points. As a matter of fact, I advocated giving him time earlier in the season. I seen him play at Lousiville and in Orlando; he's got potential. If he's consistent, finds a role, simliar to what he did tonight, we found somebody who can makde a difference.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm

How about trade Pau for a 4 we know can produce at the NBA level? Earl Clark might be good for us in situations but if he's our starter, the playoffs aren't looking any more likely.
lakersin4

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 pm

lakersin4 wrote:How about trade Pau for a 4 we know can produce at the NBA level? Earl Clark might be good for us in situations but if he's our starter, the playoffs aren't looking any more likely.

Idk if you have Kobe MWP NASH Howard if you have another guy that makes the right decisions, knows his role, plays D, brings something to the table that others lack(quickness), we can play player X.

Look at Danny Green on the Spurs. He is a nobody on teams if his role isn't defined, or Haslem doing the dirty work for Miami. We don't need stars at every position, but we need players who fit a certain role. We can't act like Earl was some low 2nd round pick with no talent. He has the traits (size and quickness), to bring to the table.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:39 pm

sure we could trade Pau for a 4 but who? we'll see, but I'm hoping and I could see a little Ariza in Earl, in a sense of player who with potential who can bring something to the table
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 pm

for our sake, I hope Earl can become a solid role player for us.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Vlade_12 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:How about trade Pau for a 4 we know can produce at the NBA level? Earl Clark might be good for us in situations but if he's our starter, the playoffs aren't looking any more likely.

Idk if you have Kobe MWP NASH Howard if you have another guy that makes the right decisions, knows his role, plays D, brings something to the table that others lack(quickness), we can play player X.

Look at Danny Green on the Spurs. He is a nobody on teams if his role isn't defined, or Haslem doing the dirty work for Miami. We don't need stars at every position, but we need players who fit a certain role. We can't act like Earl was some low 2nd round pick with no talent. He has the traits (size and quickness), to bring to the table.

True he has attributes that indicate that he should fit.. But he's not a legit nba starter.. One of the main things he brings that we don't get from Pau is defense on quicker players.. But when your name is Earl Clark, that defense is going to be called a foul every time you go up against a respected scorer. I'm not saying the kid can't help us, but he isn't the answer.
lakersin4

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
Vlade_12 wrote:

True he has attributes that indicate that he should fit.. But he's not a legit nba starter.. One of the main things he brings that we don't get from Pau is defense on quicker players.. But when your name is Earl Clark, that defense is going to be called a foul every time you go up against a star player. I'm not saying the kid can't help us, but he isn't the answer.

That is true, refs won't cut him any slack. We will see how Clark fares against Ibake and Perkins this next game. Who was Ariza, before our run, or who was Taj Gibson before he started to ball for the Bulls, or Glen Davis during the Celtic runs a couple years back. Cream rises up to the top sometimes, Earl will never be the man but I see his potential if he understands his role. Time will tell, but I think he can help this team. I don't feel that way about Ebanks. Clark and Hill at the 4 could hold it down in my opinion, but we will see
Last edited by Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 pm

he brought a ton of energy on the boards and guarded a wide variety of positions with somewhat success. his d on duncan was awesome for a guy who hasnt played. and his aggressiveness on O was great to see. his youth and athleticism was awesome. super efficient and not afraid as you can see from big his 3 pointer.

i think him playing and hill off the bench once everyones back will be huge. he hits that midrange prob better than any of our bigs and actually attacks of pnr. a hill like game with more offense. him and hill gobbling up all the boards will be good once hes back.

looks like he'll be playing more than jamison. i think jamison should stop shooting 3's and focus on all those shots closer to the basket that he made
Ariza3

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Ariza3 wrote:he brought a ton of energy on the boards and guarded a wide variety of positions with somewhat success. his d on duncan was awesome for a guy who hasnt played. and his aggressiveness on O was great to see. his youth and athleticism was awesome. super efficient and not afraid as you can see from big his 3 pointer.

i think him playing and hill off the bench once everyones back will be huge. he hits that midrange prob better than any of our bigs and actually attacks of pnr. a hill like game with more offense. him and hill gobbling up all the boards will be good once hes back.

looks like he'll be playing more than jamison. i think jamison should stop shooting 3's and focus on all those shots closer to the basket that he made

I agree completely. Gasol is just a liability on defense, we already have an older backcourt we need to balance out the roster. Clark and J Hill at the 4 would be nasty! Hill might be a better shot blocker and rebounder but Clark is no slouch with a little more flare on his offense game. I was wanting to see Clark play all season with real players like Kobe and Nash. If we had a front court rotation of Howard, Hill and Clark would be huge. Heck, Gasol might even start to light up back up big man if he is fed he post.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Postby Vlade_12 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm

I wonder if Mitch is able to swing a trade for another wing
for the 15th spot that is now open.

I hear Ariza or Casspi is on the block. CDR or Terrence Williams would be nice too
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Vlade_12

Return to Lakers Discussion