CNNSI: Malone reportedly puts Lakers at top of list

CNNSI: Malone reportedly puts Lakers at top of list

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:05 pm

...People who know Malone say that he would prefer to sign with either the Los Angeles Lakers, the Sacramento Kings or the Dallas Mavericks, in that order....

....There is a feeling throughout the league that Malone, despite all his threats of leaving, will ultimately go for the biggest paycheck and re-sign with Utah, secure that in the comfort of coach Jerry Sloan's offense he will break Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's all-time scoring record in 2004-05. (Malone trails Abdul-Jabbar by 2,013 points.) But Malone is telling people that he is adamant about winning a championship, that the scoring record will come no matter where he plays, and that money will not be the decisive factor in his decision. He is going so far as to say that he would be willing to come off the bench with Sacramento (provided the Kings assured him an important role in their rotation worth at least 20 minutes per game), and that he would even ignore his past disagreements with coach Byron Scott and consider moving East to join Kidd on the Nets if New Jersey should offer Malone his best shot at dethroning the Spurs and finishing his career with a championship.

Source - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/ian_thomsen/news/2003/06/18/insider/
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:44 pm

why would he want to go to Dallas or Sacramento? They already have big PF's. I think he'll either come to LA or stay in Utah.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:01 pm

I don't even think Utah is in his mind. I mean think about it, why wouldn't he come to L.A.? Because of money? Well ask anyone who has won a world championship -- Money means nothing when you win the championship...

His H.O.F. teamate has now retired, Utah has no chance of contending to be a championship calibur team, and Los Angeles welcomes Malone with open arms...

I think his career was written out, and even though we havn't seen his final chapter yet, I think everything was meant to be for him to end up with the Lakers...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:58 pm

I guess Webber will have to settle for 28 minutes a game...HAHAHA that aint happenin in a million years. And it is the same situation in Dallas, San Antonio, New Jersey and any other big powerhouse that ISN"T the Lakers, why? because teams have built around our weaknesses, and the main one is POWER FORWARD...Come to LA for the LLE or MLE Karl, we'll give you 30 minutes, 35 if you want them...
Snakell Beast

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:07 pm

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Malone as a Laker. He would fit in just fine. Can hit the open J, and would be a big help to Shaq on the boards. However, as much as I like Malone, I want to see the Lakers pick up a power forward that will be around longer than a year or two. Face it, Shaq will soon be leaving us because he will retire, so I think the Lakers need to start thinking about putting players on the team now that can help the team we have now but look at the bigger picture and put players on the team that will compliment Kobe's game and help him out in the long term picture. Malone is only a here and now solution, we need a long term solution. Just my opinion.
Lakerfantilidie

:

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:31 pm

I agree, we need to start getting younger players and not old ones that don't have many years left, if we have any choice, but if not I would more than welcome a Payton or Malone. And if we end up getting one of them, then we can still continue to look around for help and get whoever after Payton or Malone leave.(if thats who we get) Because I would much rather have an older player who doesn't have alot of playing years left, thsn nothing at all. Help is help.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby FirstLady on Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:44 pm

I like the idea of Karl helping the Lakers win another championship or two, or three..... :man12:

The Lakers can still build on the future in other key positions, like getting a legitimate back-up center for Shaq, as well as a consistant guard to add to the back court with Kobe.

I like Karl's game and feel he still has alot in him!
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:02 pm

I think we got the guards covered, I really think Pargo and Rush are going to work out. If George works at his game, he will give Kobe a lot of help in the future as well. The key to the Lakers future success is big men. We need to find a future center (not right away) and power forward (like yesterday). You can find guys who can dribble and shoot all day, but it is much harder to find a decent center or power forward. I think that is where the Lakers need to think about the future. Kobe is our future, and they need to get a center and power forward that will compliment his game. Also, before I go, if the Lakers stay patient, we got some ballers on this squad that havn't developed yet. These 3 need to be held on to cause they are going to develope in to some great players. Pargo, Rush, & Medvedenko (The silent hero in last years Game 7 WCF)!
Lakerfantilidie

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:45 pm

Looky here!! Looks like Karl's main objective is for that ring, which none of us doubt..
LakersGyrl2003

Postby crucifido on Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:03 am

I really hope he goes to Suckramento.

The addition of yet another ego of that magnitude on that team would absolutely destroy that team. He has to go to a place where he can be the starter and he can touch the ball almost every play.

If he goes the Queens (which I hoe he does) you can count them out of any run for the ring.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:25 am

Karl Malone is exactly what the Lakers need you guys. Have you guys actually thought about Malone, Shaq, and Kobe on the court at the same time?!?!

Karl could help us with rebounding, scoring, and inside defense. People don't go into the lane as much with Shaq, imagine another big body like Malone... I'm really hoping he comes you guys... It's EXACTLY what we need.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:30 pm

Yes... his body on the court will be to our advantage. We need his size, and his strength, and most importantly, his heart and desire for a championship with LA... Man, it's gonna weird seein him not with Utah anymore, but with the Lakers, he'll do good... We need a strong PF to take away the double teamin on the low bloc from Shaq, and open up the rest... Man, this'll be tha DAY!!! :jam2:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:49 pm

Lakerfantilidie,

"Medvedenko (The silent hero in last years Game 7 WCF)!"

why did you say that? I love slava, but I need an explanation...
Snakell Beast

Postby PROfec e-01 on Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:41 pm

To be honest... I dont want Malone to wear the Lakers jersey. He played for UTAH ever since the Dinosaurs ruled the earth and he is dissing them cause' they cant win a championship? Anyways... I say we pick up a different PF and Malone age and all. We need a younger PF to do the job!
PROfec e-01

Postby PROfec e-01 on Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:43 pm

Another NOTE: We dont need 3 Superstars on the Lakers... (Lakers Dynasty 2000)
PROfec e-01

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:05 pm

Snakell, I said that cause he came up with big buckets in the 4th & ot qtrs, key rebounds and some defensive stops that is rare for him. I forget why he was in the game, but I can remember at least 2 jumpers he hit, and a couple of rebounds & stops he got, that didn't get noticed as much as what Shaq & Kobe did in those qtrs. So that is why I said he was the silent hero, he did the right things at the right times.

Plus I agree, getting Malone is a big plus, & he will definitely help in the here and now. However, I just think that the Lakers are in a unique position right now. They could actually add veterans such as a Malone or Payton that will help us win now, possibly get us another 3peat. Or we can get players that have some years left and could help us long term. What I am basically trying to say is that I feel that it would be better to add players who are younger and can help now and for the future (meaning after Shaq is gone). Which lets face it, will be sooner than we are all going to like. So by getting a younger player to fill our pg & pf positions, they can develope and get used to playing with Kobe and in the future the experience of playing in battles with Shaq and Kobe will pay off in the future when Shaq is gone.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby whats golden on Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:07 pm

Here we go......

Kidd is considering playing for LA for the MLE. With this we are off to a good start. Karl Malone has LA at the top of his list as to where he wants to play. Take into account that he has also said he would put his differences aside to play with Kidd in New Jersey. The math to me seems pretty simple. We get Kidd, theres a damn good chance that we get Malone as well, possibly for the LLE. Neither player would be riding coat tails to win a championship, and both would be bringing something to the table to help the Lakers. This would be the dream offseason for LA, lets hope that it falls into place.

By the way I realise that there is only a very slim possibility of ot happening but all the pieces fit and the logic behind it all is very sound. We just need Kidd and Malone to see it that way.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:26 am

"but I can remember at least 2 jumpers he hit, and a couple of rebounds & stops he got, that didn't get noticed as much as what Shaq & Kobe did in those qtrs. So that is why I said he was the silent hero, he did the right things at the right times."

yeah come to think about it, I DO remember him playing well late in that game...he is so clutch it isn't even funny....He is a future starter..and a good one...I can't wait for him to develop, even if it is on another team ( :bang: :disagree: :mad1: :man2: :man6: .)
Snakell Beast

Postby Spurfanatic50 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:58 am

BryantDunkGiant wrote:why would he want to go to Dallas or Sacramento? They already have big PF's. I think he'll either come to LA or stay in Utah.

I think he will stay in Utah. Too much money there.
THE FOURTH TIME AROUND --- IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST TIME.
Spurfanatic50
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:52 am

Money means nothing to him. If it does, he won't win a ring. Plus I garuantee if he came to the Lakers, and he won a title with them, he would give away all the money in the world for the ring...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:28 pm

I have a feeling that he will get out of Utah. I'm not sure what team he will pick, but is is logical for him to leave.

The reason for this is that if he stays and take more money with Utah, he will branded for the rest of his life as a money hungry player who choose the dollar instead of the ring. That will put a bad connotation in his career. His dignity as a player will be damaged, by sticking with Utah. He is definitely out of that place. His next destination, its up in the air!!

Even Barkley left Phoenix late in his career to go get a ring at Houston.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Return to Lakers Discussion