Colin Cowherd is a Moron ...

Colin Cowherd is a Moron ...

Postby sister golden hair on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:51 pm

They've been playing radio clips all day from Colin's show in which he advises Kobe to play for the minimum allowable for a player of his tenure (so that, presumably, the Lakers can re-stock) to send the message out to everyone that Kobe is all about winning.

Hmm. Has Kobe being all about winning ever been in doubt? The guy dragged a dysfunctional team to the play-offs last year, playing, literally, until his Achilles heel snapped and even then he shot two free throws on one leg. Even his peers marvel at his work ethic. Why should a guy that has worked that hard suddenly work for free (regardless of how much money he's made)? In my opinion, I assume Kobe will earn less on his next contract, but no way in hell should he be playing for peanuts and to earn every else's respect. Cowherd also said that it would send a great message to other players. That message being what, exactly? Don't cash out when you can because it's unseemly? Don't strike a hard bargain because other players may want to do the same?

I assume that Colin, when he negotiates his next contract, will play for $50 bucks a program, to show everyone that he's only committed to producing the "best radio talk show" out there.

It always strikes me as absurd when these talking heads on radio or TV are so willing to give other people's money away, for any number of absurd reasons.

Funny how they never apply that same logic to themselves.

I
sister golden hair

Re: Colin Cowherd is a Moron ...

Postby gill on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm guessing he'll get the same amount as TD and KG did a couple years back.
gill

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:04 pm

He is a moron, never liked him. Kobe should take a paycut but that's ridiculous.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby hollywood swinger on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Colin CowTURD.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Frank Dux on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 pm

Cowherd is just a troll. He says moronic stuff just for ratings.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 am

Kobe will get paid... but Kobe also knows he needs to recruit players here. I trust Kobe & the Lakers
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 am

I agree with Colin only because it will help the Lakers build a better team around him.

Is someone a Laker fan or Kobe fan? If you're Laker fans first and foremost, OF COURSE you want Kobe to take the league minimum. You want Lebron and Melo to take the league minimum as well to come here. I like Eric Pincus' idea where the Lakers pay him the league minimum for the next two years then pay him 30 million in the third and final year. Its a 10 million a year contract which is reasonable, but it gives the Lakers the next two summers to load up.
Savory Griddles

Postby dj vitus on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 am

Savory Griddles wrote:I like Eric Pincus' idea where the Lakers pay him the league minimum for the next two years then pay him 30 million in the third and final year. Its a 10 million a year contract which is reasonable, but it gives the Lakers the next two summers to load up.

I thought you can only do backloaded contracts like that for second round picks or undrafted players.

Or was he talking about 1-year deals? Is that even legal?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby bumrusherer on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:31 am

Savory Griddles wrote:I agree with Colin only because it will help the Lakers build a better team around him.

Is someone a Laker fan or Kobe fan? If you're Laker fans first and foremost, OF COURSE you want Kobe to take the league minimum. You want Lebron and Melo to take the league minimum as well to come here. I like Eric Pincus' idea where the Lakers pay him the league minimum for the next two years then pay him 30 million in the third and final year. Its a 10 million a year contract which is reasonable, but it gives the Lakers the next two summers to load up.

Agree with most of this...the minimum is probably too excessive but it will have to be significant. The gal between us and the better teams is larger than it has been since the early 90's, IMO. It took a dramatic turn of events to get us back to where we should be and that's what it will take again..if we want to do it quickly ofcourse.

As for the other part in the OP...He doesn't need to take his own advice because his industry isn't burdened by a cap.
bumrusherer

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:38 am

dj vitus wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:I like Eric Pincus' idea where the Lakers pay him the league minimum for the next two years then pay him 30 million in the third and final year. Its a 10 million a year contract which is reasonable, but it gives the Lakers the next two summers to load up.

I thought you can only do backloaded contracts like that for second round picks or undrafted players.

Or was he talking about 1-year deals? Is that even legal?

It's a wink-wink deal, so no it's not. Kobe agrees to play for the minimum for two years and then, through retaining his Bird Rights, we send him off in style with another massive contract.

It's more likely we front load his contract to free up money in 2015 and 2016.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:40 am

Colin Cowherd likes to make noise. That's it. He says things to be controversial because controversy sells.

This morning he also "reported" that Kevin Love in 2015 will choose between the Lakers and the Timberwolves. Whichever franchise seems more likely to be successful. New York isn't in Love's plans.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:51 am

i cant stand Colin...they should move him earlier and put Dan Patrick later
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:04 am

They're on two different stations.

In fact, Dan Patrick has a standing "dislike" of ESPN's head honchos.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 am

He is a moron, he says stupid things with a smile, knowing that he's trying to annoy people and get listeners and mentions like this. To me, he's not worth talking about, his opinion doesn't matter, especially since I'm not even sure how much of what he says is his real opinion.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:23 am

OP,

why are you evening listening to him, Colin is known to say stuff, and most other ESPN personalities, to just make news or create controversy.

Move along and don't let it bother you.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby sister golden hair on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:OP,

why are you evening listening to him, Colin is known to say stuff, and most other ESPN personalities, to just make news or create controversy.

I don't listen to him. As I said in my original post he has been excerpted on other programs.

It doesn't particularly bother me. I was just pointing out how absurd that view is. It's not like I'm gonna sue or anything.
sister golden hair

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:27 pm

bumrusherer wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:I agree with Colin only because it will help the Lakers build a better team around him.

Agree with most of this...the minimum is probably too excessive but it will have to be significant. The gal between us and the better teams is larger than it has been since the early 90's, IMO. It took a dramatic turn of events to get us back to where we should be and that's what it will take again..if we want to do it quickly ofcourse.

As for the other part in the OP...He doesn't need to take his own advice because his industry isn't burdened by a cap.

Totally agree with this mentality. You want to reward a player and what they give up for the team. Kobe had to earn a starting gig and it just wasn't given to him...and the guy earned it. Kobe had to share the spotlight before being "the man"...and the guy earned it. One thing Kobe has yet to sacrifice is money and if he looks to earn a title, he's going to have to in order to bring someone that can help him get back there.

I think MLE type money is disrespectful, but earning 10-15m is a "necessary evil" and something that Kobe HAS to do if he wants to get 6 and 7.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 pm

sister golden hair wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:OP,

I don't listen to him. As I said in my original post he has been excerpted on other programs.

It doesn't particularly bother me. I was just pointing out how absurd that view is. It's not like I'm gonna sue or anything.

I understand.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:40 pm

He also said that the Lakers should tank like the Celtics to get a good pick
Even though tanking hardly ever works
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby M2K on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:04 pm

If Kobe takes the minimum... Lakers can just about sign three max players... which pretty much guarantees Kobe Bryant a legitimate chance for a ring every single one of his remaining years.

With endorsements... its not like Kobe's needs the money... but Kobe's ego probably won't let him accept the minimum... and I wouldn't blame him either.
M2K

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Strike out on free agents this offseason - Kobe gets 30 million with off the record new deal for the minimum the next two.

Get free agents this offseason - Kobe gets 10 million over 3 years.

I think Kobe and the FO should be smart enough to realize that, that is a win win for both parties involved.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CarFlagChris on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Kobe may not get paid, anymore. He may have to take $5-10 million per year, especially if Nash's contract remains.

The CBA is very punitive against big spending teams, like the Lakers.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Strike out on free agents this offseason - Kobe gets 30 million with off the record new deal for the minimum the next two.

Get free agents this offseason - Kobe gets 10 million over 3 years.

I think Kobe and the FO should be smart enough to realize that, that is a win win for both parties involved.

This is probably likely. Lakers will swing for any FAs they can while Kobe sits back and waits. Whatever is left over he will get...unless of course his return from injury is a disaster.
Savory Griddles

Return to Lakers Discussion