Could Kobe Bryant take a minimum contract in 2014 to help La

Could Kobe Bryant take a minimum contract in 2014 to help La

Postby emplay on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 am

Hey all,

I was up late doing some crazy math and realized that if Kobe was willing to take $10.5 mil in 2014 – then what he really SHOULD do is take the min in 2014 and then the max of ~$19.5 in 2015 – a complete game-changer for the Lakers:

Could Kobe Bryant take a minimum contract in 2014 to help Lakers?
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 8038.story

Also ->

Jordan Farmar reportedly returning to the Lakers
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 3433.story

NBA releases new salary cap figures, Lakers may hit $25 million in tax
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4722.story

Steve Nash thinks Lakers, D'Antoni can rebound from 'disaster' season
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 2665.story

Rockets fined $150,000 for speaking publicly about Howard acquisition
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 2550.story

Steve Nash: At Dwight Howard meeting, Lakers 'didn't have a chance'
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 0119.story

Steve Nash's soccer Showdown NYC to air Tuesday on cable channels
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 5117.story

Kobe Bryant gives back-handed words of 'support' to Dwight Howard
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 3637.story

Thanks

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Re: Could Kobe Bryant take a minimum contract in 2014 to help La

Postby OX1947 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 am

I wish he would, but unlikely.
OX1947

Postby shoe on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 am

That would be the ultimate dream scenario. There's about a .00001% of it happening tho.
shoe

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:35 am

Interesting... :man9:

How does a Jeremy Lin style contract work? I mean, his 3 year/$25Million contract was structured as $5M for the first two years, then $15 the last. Does it count on average each year to the team like $8M/year or is it based on what was written?

If Kobe was for example, to do 2 year/$20Million contract with Kobe and structure it as $1M the first year and $19M the next, would that work or break any contract/cba rules?

How was Houston able to do that?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby 432J on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am

that would be amazing

but....

it's not going to happen. i love kobe but he's no tim duncan when it comes to that
432J

Postby davriver290 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 am

Kobe better take a hit on his salary. He's amazing, but 20 millions dollars amazing? Hmmmmm, I don't think so.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:49 am

just gota present it to him the right way and if we get mutual interest from 2 big name stars during 2014, kobe would consider that scenario where we give him that vet min for 1 yr and next year a 20mill contract.
khmrP

Postby chingy248 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 am

he would be "ah lop lop" he if doesn't
chingy248

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 am

Well Kobe is a given to resign. First order of business in 2014 is Lebron, Melo.

LMK. LET ME KNOWWW.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:01 am

khmrP wrote:just gota present it to him the right way and if we get mutual interest from 2 big name stars during 2014, kobe would consider that scenario where we give him that vet min for 1 yr and next year a 20mill contract.

It's illegal to come to that conclusion beforehand... He'd have to just trust the organization to pay him when the next bill comes around in a year. It'd be all on trust for Kobe to do that and I don't see it happening.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 am

Sure... when the pigs starts flying.
kenzo

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:just gota present it to him the right way and if we get mutual interest from 2 big name stars during 2014, kobe would consider that scenario where we give him that vet min for 1 yr and next year a 20mill contract.

It's illegal to come to that conclusion beforehand... He'd have to just trust the organization to pay him when the next bill comes around in a year. It'd be all on trust for Kobe to do that and I don't see it happening.

What would be the difference if the Lakers gave him a 2-year/$20Million dollar contract where the 1st year pays 1-2M?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

What would be the difference if the Lakers gave him a 2-year/$20Million dollar contract where the 1st year pays 1-2M?

I'm not sure that's allowed. I don't know the exact rules behind it, but I don't think they can do that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:26 am

therealdeal wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I'm not sure that's allowed. I don't know the exact rules behind it, but I don't think they can do that.

Lin's contract was 3-year/$25Million, and was $5Million the first two years, and $15 the last. Sorry for repeating myself, but just bringing it to light.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:38 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Lin's contract was 3-year/$25Million, and was $5Million the first two years, and $15 the last. Sorry for repeating myself, but just bringing it to light.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q53

Here you go. A minimum level salary can be signed for only one or two years and can only apply for the minimum salary.

In other words if Kobe signed for the 1.5 million or whatever it is, he can only get that same 1.5 million the next season if his contract goes on for more than one season. He would have to trust the team to a one year deal and then the team re-signs him for the max the next season like Pincus said.

Now if he signed for 2-3 million the first season and then it jumped after that? I don't know the rules behind that. I'd need more time for research.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 am

As much as I love Kobe, he's too selfish to take a big paycut like that. I remember last time he was asked about taking a paycut so the team had more flexibility and he said something like "It's not my job to take a paycut. It's management's job to figure out the financials."
nameant

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:49 am

nameant wrote:As much as I love Kobe, he's too selfish to take a big paycut like that. I remember last time he was asked about taking a paycut so the team had more flexibility and he said something like "It's not my job to take a paycut. It's management's job to figure out the financials."

Different times. If Kobe takes that attitude this summer the FO will call his bluff on retirement. :man10:

But definitely I don't see him taking the MINIMUM. He'll take a significant paycut though to field a contender. I definitely believe that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:08 am

He needs to take a massive pay cut without a doubt though, if he won't even do that then he doesn't truly care about winning another ring.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:30 am

therealdeal wrote:http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q53

Here you go. A minimum level salary can be signed for only one or two years and can only apply for the minimum salary.

In other words if Kobe signed for the 1.5 million or whatever it is, he can only get that same 1.5 million the next season if his contract goes on for more than one season. He would have to trust the team to a one year deal and then the team re-signs him for the max the next season like Pincus said.

Now if he signed for 2-3 million the first season and then it jumped after that? I don't know the rules behind that. I'd need more time for research.

The closest things to what Lin got was the Poison Pill Provision, however, he did not meet any of the criteria for the PPP.

1. He was not on a rookie contract.
2. He was not being traded to Houston, but was from the offer that Houston put together.

Not sure if there's anything else like that.

Eric - are you aware of any rules around a structured contract like 1M for the first year, 20M the next?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Aonex on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Looks like he just shot down the idea... can't say I'm surprised, but disappointing to hear considering his stance on salary is in direct conflict with his desire for a 6th ring.

“I’m not taking any at all – that’s the negotiation that you have to have.” Kobe Bryant told Lakers Nation in an exclusive interview at his Kobe Basketball Academy on Wednesday. “For me to sit here and say, ‘Oh yeah, I’m just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, I’m going to try to get as much as I possibly can.”
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Return to Lakers Discussion