Craig Kilborn

Craig Kilborn

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:19 pm

The Lakers? Purely unlovable

June 18, 2003 Print it

Craig Kilborn
For Sporting News

Now that was a great NBA season. You had the arrival of Yao Ming, a giant with the deft touch of Arvydas Sabonis and the charismatic smile of, well, anyone other than Arvydas Sabonis. You had Mark Cuban making it all the way through without being fined.

Best of all: You had an NBA Finals that didn't involve the Lakers.

When you move to Los Angeles, in the first month you're supposed to do three things:

1) get a new head shot;
2) get breast implants;
3) root for the Lakers.

I've done two of the three. I am not ready to become a Lakers fan.

See, LA residents believe it's their God-given right to win the championship. Every year. They perch at the Staples Center, their shades so dark they can barely see the sushi 2 feet in front of them. (And did you know concession guys there don't even sell hot dogs? They just roam through the aisles shouting, "Cellular headsets! Get your cellular headsets!")

I swear I'm not a Lakers hater. I'm a basketball purist. There is a difference.

Basketball purists know: The teams of the '80s were better. There was the incomparable Dr. J; there were Magic and Larry. The league was at its strongest before expansion. The Celtics and Lakers of that period were all-time powerhouses -- one of those Lakers teams shot 52 percent for the whole year. The Pistons went nine deep (not including William Bedford). And any night of the week, the Sixers could bury you under a barrage of Andrew Toney jumpers.

The Bulls teams of the '90s? Overrated. Who was Jordan's competition? Portland? The Jazz? The Suns? Any of the best Eastern Conference teams would've kicked their behinds.

I like Shaq as a person, as a dominating center, maybe even as a policeman. He's a funny guy. And as a rapper, he has packed two years of accomplishments into 10 years. Derek Fisher and Rick Fox, both great guys. Robert Horry, until this year, was a clutch shooter. Regardless, this Lakers team was incomplete. The role players rarely stepped up.

More than anything else, the Lakers of recent years benefited from referee bias. I actually found myself on the verge of boycotting the playoffs because of the refs. Kobe drives at the end of the game, wants to get bailed out and gets the call. Shaq initiates contact, he gets the call.

I'm not saying the league arranged for the Lakers to win; I'm just implying it. The Lakers? Dynasty? More like Falcon Crest. David Ster0s were better. There was the incomparable Dr. J; there were Magic and Larry. The league was at its strongest before expansion. The Celtics and Lakers of that period were all-time powerhouses -- one of those Lakers teams shot 52 percent for the whole year. The Pistons went nine deep (not including William Bedford). And any night of the week, the Sixers could bury you under a barrage of Andrew Toney jumpers.

The Bulls teams of the '90s? Overrated. Who was Jordan's competition? Portland? The Jazz? The Suns? Any of the best Eastern Conference teams would've kicked their behinds.

I like Shaq as a person, as a dominating center, maybe even as a policeman. He's a funny guy. And as a rapper, he has packed two years of accomplishments into 10 years. Derek Fisher and Rick Fox, both great guys. Robert Horry, until this year, was a clutch shooter. Regardless, this Lakers team was incomplete. The role players rarely stepped up.

More than anything else, the Lakers of recent years benefited from referee bias. I actually found myself on the verge of boycotting the playoffs because of the refs. Kobe drives at the end of the game, wants to get bailed out and gets the call. Shaq initiates contact, he gets the call.

I'm not saying the league arranged for the Lakers to win; I'm just implying it. The Lakers? Dynasty? More like Falcon Crest. David Stern isn't a commissioner, he's a marketer. He knows the Lakers in The Finals mean better ratings and more money. That makes him a Lakers fan, which is not something one should aspire to be.

Give me Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. The rest of the country may not care to tune in, but to a basketball purist, it's a two-handed chest pass for the soul.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article ... 79024.html

This guy is full of [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. He talks about Shaq getting calls, how bout the calls that shaq did not get and duncan against the Lakers didnt get called for leading with his elbow which shaq does also but they called shaq for it and not duncan. SO many haters out there it just makes me sick!!!
zetaw00d

Postby BDG on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:28 pm

I have lost respect for Craig Kilborn. He's nothing more than a Laker-hater-wannabe, and he is a bandwagon Spurs fan. Although I gotta agree with him about the Staples Center crowd.

I hate it when people hate the Lakers because they think they're being "trendy."
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Re: Craig Kilborn

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:44 pm

When you move to Los Angeles, in the first month you're supposed to do three things:

1) get a new head shot;
2) get breast implants;
3) root for the Lakers.

I've done two of the three. I am not ready to become a Lakers fan.

I'm not saying the league arranged for the Lakers to win; I'm just implying it. The Lakers? Dynasty? More like Falcon Crest. David Stern isn't a commissioner, he's a marketer. He knows the Lakers in The Finals mean better ratings and more money. That makes him a Lakers fan, which is not something one should aspire to be.

who gives a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] what that CHUMP has to say.
I'd like for him to tell me that to all our faces. He'd get the snot beat out of him!!!!

So he did 2 of the three things on the list..... so what bra size is he sporting now... 36ddd!! what a [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!!! Don't let me catch you on Sunset and Vine walking the streets at night!!!!!! LOL
Last edited by #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:44 pm

Isn't it funny how he said that Lakers fan think it's their god given right to win championships every year?? Why didn't he write somethin like this in the 90's or something, when we went titleless for over a decade? Just cuz we had the honor to that hard work pays off, doesn't mean we didn't earn our 3 in a row. So now all of a sudden "we" think it's our right to win every year, when we been sayin that's impossible, but we can only hope for the best... This guy REALLY needs to grow up, and smell the coffee or something. I'm not angry, just mad at the fact that his research sux, and he's just another writer cravin for negative attention from true NBA fans.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:50 pm

yea he is right about winning!! When you win 3 in a row you expect it every year!! I do!!! =) I dont expect the lakers to lose, [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!!! Yea when you win 9 titles in since the 70's its expected!! I remember the 80's it was fun and the 90's sucked [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] but i still had hope and now it is paying off!! I used to watch the Late late show but i dont like watching haters!!!!! Next year is the start of a new 3peat!!!
zetaw00d

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:56 pm

It's not that they've won three that makes me feel they should win, or makes me expectful to win it all again, it's just the fact that we've got the most successful coach in NBA History, and the two best players in the leauge...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:17 pm

I have never been remotely interested in Kilborn and as far as I am concerned, it would not bother me one bit if he were to have suffered the fate of his last name. The world might even be a better place if that had been the case...

There are so many logical fallacies in his argument, I don't know where to start, so I would require one explanation and pose one question.

1. If he is such a basketball purist, then boycotting the finals would have been high on his agenda. I don't recall a Finals as bereft of scoring and fundamental offensive execution as these past atrocities that were so audaciously peddled as NBA Finals games. I can't remember a time (after the advent of the shot clock) when such low scoring (in a league that has repeatedly tried to bend the rules to up the scoring) was so widely accepted as just the way it is. If he likes pure basketball, he needs to sit down and watch Kobe practice his fundamentals, that is my idea of pure basketball...

2. Why does every fan that is negative about today's game always point out how amazing the older players were and how well stacked the league was BEFORE it expanded. The ideas collide in contradiction, because if there is a league that has fewer teams, all the players on the team will benefit from each other and we will see a lot of 1 on 1 defense, because every player (up to 8 and 9 players) is all-star level and commands attention. That is why today's game is so tough on the players, passing and equal opportunity is tougher as the game and its teams get less and less star power to work with, the stars they have are more relied upon and the defense can leave guys open, something that could never happen back then unless the other team wanted their opponent's unguarded player to throw down 60... And with the emphasis on athleticism these days, there are fewer pure shooters, combine that with more allowable contact and suddenly, defense is easier and offense suffers...
Snakell Beast

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:27 pm

Craig needs to brush up on his fundamental knowledge of causal relationships in the universe. He needs to get some books out of the library that detail to him the cause and effect scenarios that exist in a chaotic system of existence. There are ALWAYS going to be changes that occur based on other changes.

Like if a league decides to expand, the talent will get thinner, so coaches will be forced to use up all the talent they have offensively and preach the other areas of the game that are less dependent on natural talent, like rebounding and defense. The coaches will then, logically, need to start recruiting for those "other" abilities and the promise of prowess in those abilities, and that means a fundamental shift from shooters to athletes. There will also be, as the talent gets thinner, less offense to go around and less teamwork by necessity. Look at LA as the prime example. We have Shaq and Kobe (whom are as talented as ANY players have ever been) and then look at how many times they pass to their teammates and get punished for it. That is because many of their teammates aren't naturally talented shooters and passers (which were the heavy recruits in the older days) but are very skilled at the other fundamentals.

I am a purist, but I also realize that there are many areas in which the modern game excels far over the older model. the refs could do a lot better at calling more contact, but the other shift (that goes along with the above mentioned shift from shooters to athletes) will make it so that, since there are more athletes than players, there is going to be more contact because there are more rebounds and steals to be had these days...

Hey Craig, do some boning up before you try to pull the wall over

The Snakell Beast!
Snakell Beast

Craig Kilborn

Postby LakerLady on Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:09 pm

Since when is this guy a basketball expert? Yeah, it takes a lot of intelligence to gather all the anti-Laker and LA cliches and shove them together in an article. As LG said, if David Stern's such a marketing genius that he'd fix games, why did he wait so long to "give" the Lakers more championships, especially when he had Shaq and Kobe as draws? Idiot.

As for Shaq and the refs, he routinely has two to four guys literally hanging on his arms and usually doesn't get the call. Someone barely touches Duncan and gets the call in his favor. Shaq and an opposing player can make the same move in a game, and Shaq gets called for the foul, while the other guy doesn't.

Hey, don't get down on all the fans at Staples. Lots of us loyalists are locked on the game and yell until we're voiceless. You just don't see us on TV. The networks focus on the celebs and people who they think fit the LA/California stereotypes.
LakerLady

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:19 pm

Thank u gyrl... Most of the loyal fans are up in the nosebleed sections, breathing the same air at the same time as they're team. And even I have never been to a game before, and just watchin them on tv gets me all riled up, and pumped up. I always been like this, and never have I ever taken a championship for granted. We pulled together through the thick of it, and we weren't even expected to win tha past 3 titles, let alone in a row. We were always the underdogs, ask the so-called NBA writers, and experts. I never expected the Lakers to win 3 in a row, like the Bulls, and Celts, but it's truly a blessing. We can't win it eri year, like what this writer claims us fans think. But when we dont win, then people talk about all the controversy within the organization, and players, and hell even some of the fans are talkin about trading our big man. Well trades aren't the answer, but workin with what we're delt, what we get, and what we have, make true championship teams year in and year out. We had the endurance for the past 4 years, and that flame blew out from the stronger SA team. But it's not worth the time dwelling on the past, but it'll be to our advantage if we use the events of the past to prepare for a stronger future.
LakersGyrl2003

True but

Postby mazter_roshi on Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:18 pm

We love the Lakers no matter what. I love the Lakers so much i'll bleed gold and purple til the day I die. But our problem is what was said in another message, people are Laker fans and sport Lakers cuz they think its trendy or in. Then we lose this year and all these idiots talk [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and it make the real fans look bad cuz idiots from the outside assume we are all like that. I remember being pissed that J-Ho and Ben were at a Laker game, they don't like the Lakers they just wanted to be seen. All the celebrities that go to the games don't give a damn about the Lakers with the except of Jack Nicholson and maybe Andy Garcia. Fans like us that rooted for the Lakers before Shaq/Kobe, with Shaq/Kobe, and will after Shaq/Kobe will never lose love for this team. Problem is those "fans" who go to a game cuz we're having a good season and the other face comes out when San Antonio screwed us in the post-season. We deserved it. The refs were on something cuz Duncan wouldn't get touched and a foul is called, and Shaq is swarmed like in the Matrix Reloaded and nothing happens. Makes my blood boil when we are screwed out of whats ours, and even worse when those idiots you see on t.v talk about Lakers! Lakers! and right now couldn't care less that we lost in the post-season. Rest assure next year we will take back whats rightfully ours and the Spurs will regret the day they stepped foot in our house and made us look bad!!!!!! We may not be champions forever, but the Lakers are forever champions in our hearts!!!!!!
mazter_roshi

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:49 pm

That's a good point... I remember gettin mad at J-Lo and Ben for sittin next to tha Lakers bench in the 1st round series, I think it was game 4. Man, I got heated, cuz they're never at games, and Ben supposedly likes the Celts... But when u said that people like the Lakers cuz it seems to be the "in thang" or it's "trendy", and u got that right on tha money. Cuz back in tha days, people were claimin the Bulls for their 2 3Peats, just cuz they were the winnin team, and where are they now? But the ones that claim teams, dont even need to follow the game. Hell they prolly throw superbowl parties every year, and they dont even know who's in it that year. LOL... It just cracks me up, when people wanna root for a team, or start followin a sport just cuz their state's team is reppin... Like with the Ducks, the Angels, Sparks, Galaxy, and even the Lakers... But then when they lose, these bandwagoned fans are no where to be seen. :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby kingjsun on Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:48 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Craig Kilborn used to be on ESPN and now has his own late night show. If this is true, we now know why he isn't on ESPN anymore, he knows nothing of sports. Oh, and when it comes to TRUE celeb laker fans, lets not forget CUBE :bow:
Buckle up! This off season is going to be some ride...
kingjsun

Postby Spurfanatic50 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:13 am

You gotta love Kilborn.

Come on folks, how many shows can this guy be on. He has an opinion. Been on ESPN, The Daily Show, Late Night with Craig Kilborn.

Like what he says about the Spurs though.
THE FOURTH TIME AROUND --- IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE FIRST TIME.
Spurfanatic50
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby HndsmCelt on Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:07 pm

Kilborne cracks me up, and given his college career,a nd his stint on ESPN, I'd say his opinion is at least as valid as that of a bunch of So Cal hommies.
"We suck at rebounding"
Brad Miller
HndsmCelt
Clublakers Rep: Sac Kings

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:20 pm

Yeah he cracks, just like Webber's leg and your championship hopes last year.

Too bad he suffered that injury. With Webber, you would have taken the title with relative ease. I guess your bad luck, is good luck to the Spurs.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Return to Lakers Discussion