D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: D12 Thread: Brushin' his shoulders off (Won't need surgery)

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

If Dwight really wants to go to the Rockets rather than make his own mark with the other legendary BIG Men in the history of the Los Angeles Lakers then that SUCKs for us. On Defense. But he is probably not the "cornerstone" we were looking for. Easy route out taken. If happens.... fine.... EFF him!!
LTLakerFan

Postby abeer3 on Sat May 04, 2013 5:49 pm

i'm generally at peace. I want him to stay for several reasons. if he leaves, I think I was probably unjustified in wanting him to stay. weather a really bad season next year and start fresh with advantages no other organization enjoys and a high draft pick in a great draft. win.
abeer3

Postby Scnottaken on Sat May 04, 2013 11:35 pm

The main reason I want him to stay is so this thread reaches 1000 pages.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby lakersin4 on Sun May 05, 2013 12:13 am

So let's say Dwight DOES want to go to Houston.. But doesn't want to gut the Lakers & make the fanbase hate him so he allows us to S&T him.. Of course it also gets him his extra year & 30M.. What could we get realistically? Obviously Asik.. After that I think we can either get Lin or Parsons.. Lin is probably more realistic. Asik, Lin, Delfino, picks? If it was possible to get both Lin & Parsons with Asik, I think we have a good shot at becoming a better team but there's no way they give that up when they have all the leverage..

Nash/Lin/Blake
24/Meeks
Parsons/MWP
Pau/(Clark?/Jamison?)
Asik/Hill

I like that team better than the one we have right now.. Add a couple FA's & maybe picks.. Would completely kill our cap space for 14/15 but then we have 30M expiring in Lin & Asik in 15/16, which is also a strong FA class. I think the above team gives us a good shot at a ring next season while also swapping 3 solid young stars for 1 young allstar.. We don't have a star after Kobe retires but we'd have a strong young core that would be enticing for a young star to come join in 15/16.
lakersin4

Postby scheven on Sun May 05, 2013 12:48 am

lakersin4 wrote:So let's say Dwight DOES want to go to Houston.. But doesn't want to gut the Lakers & make the fanbase hate him so he allows us to S&T him.. Of course it also gets him his extra year & 30M.. What could we get realistically? Obviously Asik.. After that I think we can either get Lin or Parsons.. Lin is probably more realistic. Asik, Lin, Delfino, picks? If it was possible to get both Lin & Parsons with Asik, I think we have a good shot at becoming a better team but there's no way they give that up when they have all the leverage..

Nash/Lin/Blake
24/Meeks
Parsons/MWP
Pau/(Clark?/Jamison?)
Asik/Hill

I like that team better than the one we have right now.. Add a couple FA's & maybe picks.. Would completely kill our cap space for 14/15 but then we have 30M expiring in Lin & Asik in 15/16, which is also a strong FA class. I think the above team gives us a good shot at a ring next season while also swapping 3 solid young stars for 1 young allstar.. We don't have a star after Kobe retires but we'd have a strong young core that would be enticing for a young star to come join in 15/16.

The reason why he would want to go there is partly because of Lin/Asik/Parsons and not just Harden. If he's going there then there's no way he does a S&T
scheven

Postby lakersin4 on Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 am

scheven wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:So let's say Dwight DOES want to go to Houston.. But doesn't want to gut the Lakers & make the fanbase hate him so he allows us to S&T him.. Of course it also gets him his extra year & 30M.. What could we get realistically? Obviously Asik.. After that I think we can either get Lin or Parsons.. Lin is probably more realistic. Asik, Lin, Delfino, picks? If it was possible to get both Lin & Parsons with Asik, I think we have a good shot at becoming a better team but there's no way they give that up when they have all the leverage..

Nash/Lin/Blake
24/Meeks
Parsons/MWP
Pau/(Clark?/Jamison?)
Asik/Hill

The reason why he would want to go there is partly because of Lin/Asik/Parsons and not just Harden. If he's going there then there's no way he does a S&T
I don't think so.. He's going to want that extra year & 30M. You're right though I don't think they'd part with both Parsons & Lin.. Maybe Asik, Lin, Delfino, picks.. Moreys plan is about acquiring allstars.. He gets the best C in the NBA for 2 fringe stars in Lin & Asik, who are both nearing the end of the cap friendly part of their contract & will be owed 30M in 14/15. & a solid bench player in Delfino. I believe they'd still have a good amount of cap space after getting Dwight, if they have enough to offer a Max then you have to think that becomes appealing for someone like CP3. CP3/Harden/Parsons/Dwight is pretty terrifying if I'm being honest.
lakersin4

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun May 05, 2013 5:15 am

Yeah injuries happen all the time, but now that Dwight had to deal with a serious injury for the first time in his career, and he sees a guy legendary tough guy like Kobe go out for 6-9 months, Id imagine that the extra year that we can offer is alot more appealing and significant in his mind. It would be for most atleast.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby abeer3 on Sun May 05, 2013 5:29 am

so now lin and asik are fringe stars, eh? man, there's a lot of stars in the league these days.

also, i'm pretty sure the new s&t rules don't allow for the player to get his extra year. so you won't see as many of these have-your-cake-and-eat-it deals. if you leave the team with your bird rights, you give up most of those benefits, even in s&t. someone can verify that for me.

IF such a deal were possible, I think Houston would love it. they know lin's simply not good and asik's super limited on offense (and really not the defensive presence that he was billed at upon signing). if they could trick the lakers into eating into their future space for those two average players, they'd have money to spend on a third impact player in FA.

but the lakers FO isn't stupid (I think). they wouldn't hamstring themselves AND turn Houston into a contender in one fell swoop.
Last edited by abeer3 on Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abeer3

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:04 am

Nash/Lin/Blake
24/Meeks
Parsons/MWP
Pau/(Clark?/Jamison?)
Asik/Hill

Its great to look at every outcome, so great question...

However, this new CBA is pretty nuts in wanting more parity in the league and giving the "home" team an advantageous outlook in retaining their free agents.

Dwight can only get a 5 year deal and 7.5% increases per year with the Lakers. It doesn't matter if he's S&T'ed or outright leaves an signs with another team, he'll only get a 4 year deal with 4.5% increases per year.

So a S&T makes sense, only if D12 wants to go to a team that doesn't have enough cap to give him the max (ie Houston). He probably wants to get paid and sport a good enough team to compete with. If he chooses Houston via S&t, then they blow up the roster to bring him in. If he chooses Houston via free agency, he doesn't get the max allowed, but still joins a team that doesn't have to see many players drop out because of the cap hit.

I think it makes the most sense for him to stay here, both financially (gets the max and probably has a ridiculous Adidas contract that follows) and competitively (really has to sacrifice next year, but when 2014 hits, the team can add more complimentary players to put next to D12).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 am

I wish we could get Kenneth Faried somehow if Howard bolts this off-season a great energy guy who like Jordan Hill hustles but plays with more skill and speed.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby Phil XI on Sun May 05, 2013 12:48 pm

As others have said, Dwight doesn't get more by allowing LA to SnT him. He only gets the true max amount if he stays. There is zero incentive to ask LA for that if he wants to go to Hou or another team with cap room. Only a team with no room would mean LA could get something of value back, such as Brooklyn.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 pm

lin/parsons/asik? No thanks....huge contracts to lin who is overrated & also asik...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby abeer3 on Sun May 05, 2013 7:16 pm

asik's worth his deal, but lin...no thanks. parsons is a bargain, but won't be after next year, I think. no matter, la wouldn't do any of this. they're signing Dwight or making him risk 30 million. good strategy. nobody's turned it down yet.
abeer3

Postby jlkr on Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 am

Asik and Lin deals are both cap-unfriendly in that they were backloaded poison pills meant to make it unpalatable for their former teams to match. Lakers' FO would be fools to take either of those contracts back for D12. Houston stays stuck with them, they won't have cap space to put a 3rd star next to D12 and Harden. But Asik could still fetch something, can't teach size that can play defense. And yes, Parsons is still on his rookie wage scale deal. I'll bet Morey calls Mitch to try to work something out.

It's good to know LA has "home" advantage for resigning D12.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby abeer3 on Mon May 06, 2013 5:16 am

the whole point of trading for howard was to get this advantage. he had publicly stated that he wasn't signing extensions prior to the trade discussions, anyway. at the time, I thought Orlando should have just called his bluff and seen what happened, mostly due to this huge financial advantage and the new rules that make s&ts largely useless to teams with cap space.
abeer3

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 am

I dunno where the fear of him not resigning here is coming from. Adidas will make sure he does or else they will lose a marquee endorser in a big market. Now they just need to influence a certain Chi-town guard, when his contract expires, to join Dwight.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 am

I can't wait for July until all this speculation ends completely. It's going to be a breath of fresh air.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:I can't wait for July until all this speculation ends completely. It's going to be a breath of fresh air.

Yeah, only if he resigns here... all signs point to him leaving.... so we are stuck in a mud anyways.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby khmrP on Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:I can't wait for July until all this speculation ends completely. It's going to be a breath of fresh air.

I doubt Howard makes a decision as soon as he's able to. He'll draw out late I bet.
khmrP

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon May 06, 2013 9:21 am

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:

Yeah, only if he resigns here... all signs point to him leaving.... so we are stuck in a mud anyways.

All signs point to him leaving? July can't get here fast enough...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:All signs point to him leaving? July can't get here fast enough...

So you do want him to leave? LOL
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 am

khmrP wrote:I doubt Howard makes a decision as soon as he's able to. He'll draw out late I bet.

That would only hand-cuff the Lakers from making other moves to Improve the team and it's depth.... he would be a bigger coward if he does delay his decision until Aug/Sept..... he knows that this team needs change and all that scenario is hinged on his decision to re-up / or leave.
C0TT0NCANDY

Postby therealdeal on Mon May 06, 2013 9:26 am

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:
all signs point to him leaving
What signs?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 am

C0TT0NCANDY wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:All signs point to him leaving? July can't get here fast enough...

So you do want him to leave? LOL

Not at all. My point is we don't know what Dwight is going to do. I know this is a forum and this discussion has been carried on ad nauseum. Nevertheless, "all signs point to him leaving is false," IMO. I can go back to earlier in the year up until recently that insinuate he's going to stay. I already have a feeling he's staying, IMO. Then again, what do I know?
dwighthowardsdad

Postby C0TT0NCANDY on Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 am

therealdeal wrote:What signs?

The signs of the 8th wonderland LOL
Last edited by C0TT0NCANDY on Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
C0TT0NCANDY

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard