D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion:"the legacy,the history..means a lot"(893)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Chillbongo wrote:1. LOL

2. Source?

3. Kobe has another year left

4. Kobe has a no-trade clause

5. Yeah right.

This. :man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:They'll get that. And if/when Dwight heals up he's going to feel better and when he feels better he'll play better.

And when he plays better, we'll win more games.

And when we win more games, Kobe will be happy because that's all Kobe cares about.

There it is :man10: The Circle of Life
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:They'll get that. And if/when Dwight heals up he's going to feel better and when he feels better he'll play better.

And when he plays better, we'll win more games.

And when we win more games, Kobe will be happy because that's all Kobe cares about.

There it is :man10: The Circle of Life

Someone photoshop Kobe as Mufasa and Dwight as Simba. :man1:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 pm

i read somewhere that dwight stated to the press that he saw himself as part of the lakers' future. positive step, imo, and all i asked to hear. if you want the questions to end, just say you plan on staying. that's not committing, but it's not dodging the question, either.
abeer3

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:12 pm

no photoshop, so really poor job in paint

Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Chillbongo wrote:no photoshop, so really poor job in paint

LOL!!!! kudos for the effort, Lakers fan...my first laugh of the day...thank you
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Re: Dwight Discussion:"focused";FO listening to offers(pg891)

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:29 pm

therealdeal wrote:
DWIGHT HOWARD
Q: On what Dr. Buss meant to him in such a short period of time:
Howard: I’ve heard nothing but great things since I’ve been here. I actually had an opportunity to see him when I first got traded here. We had a great conversation. He’s a great guy to be around. I wish I would have saw him before he was in the hospital when he was active with the team. I was just happy to have the opportunity to sit down and see what he was really about. It’s a sad situation, but like I said, he’s a great man.

Q: On his experience during the All-Star weekend :
Howard: It was the first time I’ve had a chance to really get some rest in. All-Star weekend is normally a busy time, but this time, I got a good chance to get some rest and get some work in with our trainers. I’m looking forward to the second half.

Q: On if he’s surprised he only played 14 minutes in the All-Star game:
Howard: No, I wasn’t surprised. We had already talked about my minutes and everything. One thing I told (Gregg) Popovich is the second half of the season is very important. I didn’t want to risk anything out there playing and understanding that in the All-Star game it starts to get super serious come the third or fourth quarter. With me being out there, anything around the basket and those guys will try to foul me, and I didn’t want to risk it. There’s plenty more All-Star games to be played in, God-willing. Like I told coach the second half, it’d be better for me and my team to just pull me out. That’s what he did.

Q: On if his shoulder feels better or if he’s trying to maintain where it’s at right now:
Howard: For anybody who has had a torn labrum, they understand there are days where it feels super good. All it takes that one movement or that one hit and it starts to hurt and it gets numb and all that stuff. There’s really nothing I can do at this point, but continue to rehab, continue to strengthen it and hope I don’t have any problems during games.

Q: On if each time he gets hit, everything is taken away from when he was trying to strengthen the shoulder:
Howard: Not each time. It just depends. There are some days where it feels good and there are some times I get hit in the game, fight for position down in the paint, boxing out, or whatever it may be where it gets hit. There are certain situations where the times I’ve gotten fouled where I’ve had to come out of the game and I’ve had to miss games because of that. As of late, it’s been pretty good and holding up. Hopefully, it can stay that way for the remainder of the season.

Q: On if he senses any progress that he made over the weekend in his shoulder:
Howard: I really can’t tell until we start playing, but our trainers understood it was a busy weekend and I was doing a lot of stuff. They didn’t want to overwork my body – just making sure I got in the gym and make sure I did something with my body just to stay in pretty good shape.

Q: On what it means to be playing for the Lakers franchise:
Howard: It’s a great experience, for one. It means a lot to see what this team actually stands for and what they mean. It’s different from being around the league and going to different arenas. It’s a totally different atmosphere here. I understand the longer I’ve been here the more I understand how important this franchise is and how people see this team – the legacy, the history and it means a lot.

Q: On if he’s concerned the Lakers culture will change now that Dr. Buss is gone:
Howard: I don’t think so. This franchise and organization will be great. There are a lot of great pieces here and we’re going to do our job to make sure this organization stays the same.

Q: On how much pressure he feels to carry that legacy on:
Howard: Right now, the only focus is for our team is to make sure we have a great second half and make sure we get on the same page and start winning games.

Q: On if he finds any relief about Mitch Kupchak’s comments that he will not be traded:
Howard: He’s been saying that for the last month-and-a-half or two months. There’s always rumors and stuff swirling around. One thing he tells me every day is to trust him, so that’s what I’m going to continue to do and control what I can control.

Q: On why there is so much controversy surrounding him:
Howard: I really don’t know. I haven’t changed as a person. I’m still going to be the guy I was before stuff started to go down. I don’t know, but I’m not going to change who I am. I’m not going to let the stuff that’s been happening defeat me as a person. I’m going to find a way to push through it.

Q: On if he’s had any conversation with Kupchak or Jim Buss about his future:
Howard: They haven’t really said too much about it all year. There’s always stuff that goes on on the outside. As far as on the inside, what we talk about is how I can improve and what we as a team can do to get better. That’s the only thing I’m more concerned with – how we can win games and how we can come together as a team.

Q: On what is different about his role here in Los Angeles and his role in Orlando:
Howard: I have to do whatever I can to help this team win. All of us had to sacrifice parts of our game for this team. Some guys have had to sacrifice more than others. But as a team, we have to figure this out. We can’t rely on anybody else but ourselves. We have to keep whatever happens or whatever we talk about between us. We can’t allow anything to separate who we are as a team. Sometimes we’ve done that. We have to do a better job of keeping it in house, but at the same time, making sure we realize that the only people that can control our destiny is us.

Q: On if there’s any part of him that wants to be traded:
Howard: I just want to win. I just want to win right now where I’m at. I’m committed to this team, to this season and what we can accomplish right now. I’m going to do whatever I can to help this team win. That’s it.

Q: On a report about him being unhappy in Los Angeles:
Howard: Listen, I have never said anything about none of this stuff. So if anybody has a report or anything about what’s going on, if it’s not from me, then obviously it can’t be true. I’m not going to let this situation defeat me. I’m not going to let whatever has happened up until today or in the past affect me. I’m going to get back to being who I am and defeat whatever is in front of me. That’s where I stand in this whole situation. We’re going to look at this second half of the season as an opportunity for our team to do something special and something great, and we’re going to do this for Dr. Buss.

^^ Great interview! Thanks for posting this realdeal. This is the first I feel really comfortable with his answers in recent times. I hope they can get it together like he talks about in the final answer and win for Dr. Buss. Good stuff.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:47 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

Awesome...

And no problem LJ. :bow:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Haaaa....

LakerFanIam

Postby JGC on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm

This been posted in here?

Coach Gregg Popovich dropped a few f-bombs in Dwight Howard’s direction, during All-Star break. Now, why is that guys? Because, during the timeout, Gregg Popovich drew up a play for Dwight Howard in the game…except when it was time to run the play, Dwight Howard wasn’t in the game, wasn’t paying attention, was on the bench in his warm ups chillin out socializing with folks, and Gregg Popovich almost went ballistic, and basically was cussing at him according to numerous people I spoke to since this weekend.

http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2013/02/ ... star-game/
JGC

Postby Willx on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... Wdl;_ylv=3

Hey, did you guys have a fun All-Star Weekend? Did you enjoy taking a brief break from the day-to-day grind of the NBA season to tilt your focus toward the talents of some of the league's most gifted players and away from all of the silly melodrama that tends to dominate chat shows and sports talk? I hope so, because it's all over — time to punch the clock and get back to talking about how the Los Angeles Lakers stink, hate each other and are a disaster of epic proportions.
According to the New York Post's Page Six gossip column, Lakers center Dwight Howard (last seen making jokes on the bench in the third and fourth quarter of the 2013 NBA All-Star Game, in which he did not play the final 20-plus minutes) had a little fun at the expense, and behind the back, of teammate Kobe Bryant (last seen working uncommonly hard on defense in the closing minutes of said exhibition game) in the Western Conference locker room:
Amid other reports that the Lakers’ chilly on-court chemistry was spilling into the locker room, we’re told that Howard “grabbed Kobe’s uniform, put it on, and imitated him in front of all the other players on the West team. He was joking and berating Kobe” to fellow NBA stars, including the Clippers’ Chris Paul and Blake Griffin and Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant. The source added Bryant later arrived in the locker room, “said hello to everyone on the team except Howard, grabbed his stuff and moved as far away from Howard as he could.”
After that, Bryant told everyone at his lunch table that he didn't even care about Dwight, and is just totally, like, whatever about the whole thing.
On one hand, it's understandable to have plenty of skepticism about the veracity of a gossip column report about alleged locker-room hijinks that, as ProBasketballTalk's Kurt Helin noted, didn't generate any chatter over the weekend in Houston. This seems like the sort of thing that would've gotten the attention of the roughly 1.4 million media members in town and at the Toyota Center to cover the All-Star festivities.
That said, it's hard to totally disbelieve the report, in part because of all the reports of ongoing turmoil between the two stars and in part because of how Bryant's weekend comments about whether the Lakers would look to move Howard before Thursday's trade deadline ("I don't know what they're going to do [...] At this point, it doesn't matter") seem to play into the "icy" relationship stuff. Mostly, though, it's because it's very, very easy to envision a situation in which Dwight would put on Kobe's uniform and do an impression of him to try to get people to laugh; we've seen him do that impression for that purpose multiple times before.
Of course, whether or not this actually took place and whether or not Kobe and Dwight actually become friends means significantly less to the Lakers' chances of getting hot, turning things around and making a playoff push than the facts that they've been a middle-of-the-road offense and a bottom-10 defense since Jan. 1, that they're going to play 10 of 15 games on the road in March, that they're missing a huge piece in the injured Pau Gasol and that Howard, nearly 10 months removed from his lower back surgery and suffering from a torn labrum in his right shoulder, is still a ways away from being the kind of consistently game-changing presence the Lakers so desperately need him to be.
It's the on-court stuff that'll determine whether or not the Lakers can sneak into the eighth seed; it's the actual basketball that will determine the team's fate. As always, though, it's the spectacle and sideshow that'll keep people talking about a 25-29 team that, like a Dwight Howard impression, hasn't really been fun to watch in a while.
I, for one, just can't wait until Dwight and Kobe simultaneously release a photo wearing one another's jerseys on Instagram as Mike D'Antoni stands by making the Macaulay Culkin "Home Alone" face. That'll take the air out of the ol' "they don't like each other" balloon, right?
Willx

Postby Willx on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Hearing from these reports, I'm over dwight
Willx

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 pm

JGC wrote:This been posted in here?

Coach Gregg Popovich dropped a few f-bombs in Dwight Howard’s direction, during All-Star break. Now, why is that guys? Because, during the timeout, Gregg Popovich drew up a play for Dwight Howard in the game…except when it was time to run the play, Dwight Howard wasn’t in the game, wasn’t paying attention, was on the bench in his warm ups chillin out socializing with folks, and Gregg Popovich almost went ballistic, and basically was cussing at him according to numerous people I spoke to since this weekend.

http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2013/02/ ... star-game/

lol

oh no.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:37 pm

this is the most awesomely horrible photoshop ever. lol. I love it. :bow:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Steve on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 pm

he;s so engaged tonight, I hope I'm wrong about him
Steve

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Man Howard has great energy tonight... KEEP IT UP!
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 pm

if dwight gives us this effort consistently, then we're going to the playoffs and we're going to make some noise.

the biggest difference i saw in him was his effort in cutting off lanes and and cheating a bit to help his teammates off the ball. great stuff.
Pig Miller

Postby odom1year on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Actually 13 shots are not enough for him, let's get him more shots once he is 100 % again.
odom1year

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:08 pm

^ He basically sat out the third.

He played nearly a flawless game as far as I'm concerned. A few turnovers here and there, but overall his defensive energy was fantastic and his offense responded in kind.

Great job from Dwight. If he plays the 4th quarter he ends up with a 30/15 night and 2 blocks.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm

What better time to have your best game as a Laker than vs the Celtics?

Hustle, energy, defense. This Howard can change peoples views IF he keeps it up.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 pm

this was a step above any game i can remember him playing this year (not just him either)
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Juronimo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Great game from Dwight tonight. He had passion. It was great to see.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 pm

odom1year wrote:Actually 13 shots are not enough for him, let's get him more shots once he is 100 % again.

Really? We are up by double-digits all game. No one shot over 15 shots (Kobe) and Dwight had 8 free throws. They featured him all game. You guys really need to get off this "shot attempt" obsession.
puffyusaf#2

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Nice effort, great game. Monster defense too. He is still extremely mobile for a center.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 pm

now do this 27 more times and we should be good
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard