D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: "They have a monster in the middle" (930)

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 pm

If Pau went 4/14 in the paint, this board would explode with demands for amnesty.
SpencerHarrison

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 pm

You can't have a good touch when you're shooting the ball with your palm instead of fingertips ... he's throwing the ball at the basket , not shooting it ...
wcsoldier81

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:You can't have a good touch when you're shooting the ball with your palm instead of fingertips ... he's throwing the ball at the basket , not shooting it ...

Yeah. Seems dumb lol
SpencerHarrison

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm

SpencerHarrison wrote:Not smart to have Dwight shoot that many times. Wasted possessions. Lakers had a chance to run up a lead before the half but got post bricks instead.

I actually like Howard's game enough to hope he stays in LA now, but this idea of him being a back to the basket post scorer is dense. Not his game. I'd rather see somebody take a contested 3. Dwight is for putbacks, second chance scoring, oops and easy feeds. He is NOT a primary scorer, and probably won't ever be.

Agree with everything except the underlined part. With our transition D, a contested 3 is about as bad a shot as we can take..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby last stand on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm

So the roller coaster goes.....
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm

last stand wrote:So the roller coaster goes.....

Wow no kidding.
LTLakerFan

Postby Jordan-esque on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Most of the Laker players shot 33% from the field!

- Dwight 6/18
- Nash 6/17
- World Peace 5/17
- Meeks 3/9

Not 1 single Laker had over 50%, nada.

I blame the coach for tiring his players on this one.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 pm

HIs defense WAS great though, and I really liked a few sequences where he swallowed up Beasley's drives. We got beat by shooting, not by driving.
SpencerHarrison

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:59 am

I really don't blame Dwight.. D'antoni should know better than to rely on him so heavily in the second night of a b2b.. His conditioning still isnt up to par.. Just a terrible gameplan.
LakersN4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:53 am

Who do you want to rely on ?

Tonight's game was another proof D12 isn't 1st option material night in and night out ... got a good amount of games like this one in Orlando
wcsoldier81

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Who do you want to rely on ?

Tonight's game was another proof D12 isn't 1st option material night in and night out ... got a good amount of games like this one in Orlando

Noone.. thats kind of the point i was making. When Kobe is out, we have moone that can carry us offensively and our best shot at Winning games is running the system and letting it create our offense.
LakersN4

Postby abeer3 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 am

when i saw the thread subtitle i thought maybe this was dwight talking about luis scola.

fml.
abeer3

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 am

LakersN4 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Who do you want to rely on ?

Noone.. thats kind of the point i was making. When Kobe is out, we have moone that can carry us offensively and our best shot at Winning games is running the system and letting it create our offense.

our system is taking/hitting alot of perimiter shots and we win, they didn't do that yesterday :man10: ....even when we were winning I didn't see alot of plays where it opened up easy layups for others (mostly just Jamison who moves alot off-ball). When I watched Mia game against Bos last nite, I saw mutliple scenario where they just made Bos lose site of their players alot, like just wide open for layups with no one around them at all and not to mention open 3's (we do this part well can't question that). This team is almost a purely jump shooting team IMO, if we dont hit them we get in trouble, its only when the shots start falling is when things open up more for Howard on the inside for lob dunks and put backs.
khmrP

Postby lotus on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 am

The trade for D12 is looking better and better now that he is playing with more commitment and Bynum is looking at 2 knee surgeries in the off season. I feel bad for Bynum.
lotus

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:26 am

lotus wrote:The trade for D12 is looking better and better now that he is playing with more commitment and Bynum is looking at 2 knee surgeries in the off season. I feel bad for Bynum.

^^ Agreed. It was always a great trade - even with Dwight coming off surgery. It was the trade that made sense - upgrade from the second best center to the best. That was the only real scenario where I felt we should trade Bynum away. That said, I actually hoped and wished for Bynum to have a good year in Philly. Bummer that he took such a nose dive again with those knees. While it was always a possibility with him, I really thought he was over the worst of his injury history.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 am

Missed the game last night...6 for 18 vs a team with no Gortat? WTF

And looks like the 12 reb streak is over, he had only 11 Lol

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

Good Kevin Ding article, as usual

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/howard-500308-lakers-orlando.html

Published: March 19, 2013 Updated: 8:40 a.m.
Ding: Howard leaves manager after 9 years

Kevin Ding column: Lakers center Dwight Howard has fired his longtime business manager, another step in his evolution into his own man.

PHOENIX – More and more over the past two months, Dwight Howard has smiled the real smile.

He has joked with people to make himself happy instead of worrying about making them laugh. He has accepted both criticism and advice of others and come away a bigger man because he's not trying so hard to judge himself compared to any others.

Howard is growing all on his own, single-mindedly focused on who he wants to be, and he has taken another major step forward in his career by leaving the business manager who has been Howard's primary advisor his entire career, Kevin Samples.

"We had nine great years together," Howard told me late Monday night. "Just time to go separate ways."

For all the intangible growth Howard has discovered recently, breaking away from Samples is a concrete gesture that the past is the past – and Howard is confident in calling his own shots in the future.

"I know what I want to accomplish," Howard said. "I've always written down my goals and everything I want, and I want to make sure I get 'em. Everything I've lost, everything that's gone away, I'm going to get it back."

Samples came to Los Angeles with Howard after the trade to the Lakers, and it was hard to envision him not being around considering they're actually first cousins – and Howard's parents dispatched Samples to live with Howard in Orlando right after the 2004 NBA draft as a big brother/guidance counselor/business manager.

Their relationship grew into Dwight Howard Enterprises, which had two and only two officers: Howard and Samples.

For Howard to sever the tie is no small statement.

"He's still my cousin, my family, so we'll always be around each other," Howard said. "But we just parted ways on the business side."

Someone should've been fired for the "Dwightmare" in Orlando, for sure. But Howard's M.O. has never been to hold an employee accountable like some cold-hearted taskmaster.

What has changed is Howard can reflect on what went awry in Orlando with a healthy perspective now: He wanted to leave the Magic organization, but not really the people and the community that had become so connected to him. He needed to venture out to grow and deep-down he knew it – but he was a little scared to try something that big and new.

Howard was a little scared as he started out with the Lakers, too – unsure about his body after back surgery and lacking his usual freakish physical dominance. Even as Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak was behind the scenes reclaiming his spot on the All-Virtue team for patience, frustration grew from teammates and coaches over Howard not more aggressively testing the limits of what he could give the Lakers.

Howard maintains that it was mostly his lack of physical fitness that stopped him, but maybe he looked chicken because nothing was egging him on.

Howard's major breakthrough was in attitude.

No more whining about touches in the post – replaced by a total commitment to defending and rebounding, plus creating devastating pick-and-roll ball with two legendary ball-handlers Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash.

No more excuses about his body – which Howard still managed to bring in at a career-low 5.8 percent body fat to start the season and drop down further to 5.0. No more needing time to wait and hope for less pain from the torn labrum in his right shoulder. Instead, a commitment to cutting sugar out of his diet to two months and pushing his conditioning to the point that it meant even humbly asking out of a game.

Rather than spouting clichés about the Lakers needing to do the right things to start winning, Howard simply started doing those things that he knows are right.

And when you live life like that, you can't help but feel comfortable in your own skin.

That's how Howard could be so unflappable as he marched through the fire of his Orlando homecoming one week ago.

Bryant advised Howard to be a killer, but that's Bryant. What Howard is learning more from Bryant is how not to surrender to the fear of failure.

When Kobe isn't being afraid to fail, he is a killer.

But when Dwight isn't being afraid to fail, he is a joy.

So Howard played his game, had his fun and got the victory in Orlando, telling hecklers "Thank you" or "Let it go" or "I'm going to get mine" depending on how he felt – not giving anyone's hateful words or outside opinions the power to control him.

Even Monday night in Phoenix, Howard launched a series of jump shots – missing some, banking one in quite nicely. The reflexive reaction is to term it a low-percentage play, but understand this: It's a kind of progress for Howard.

He hates to miss shots. It's a huge part of his free-throw anxiety. He gets more caught up in the crowd's reaction than his own satisfaction – and even more so feels their dismay when he misses. What Kendrick Perkins figured out in becoming a Dwight-stopper was that Howard really only wanted to take shots he knew he would make – dunks – and with everything else was afraid to fail, afraid what other people would think if he did.

Now Howard is trending in the other direction, though.

He believes more than ever that there is more for him to learn and accomplish – and through that mentality, all the power is his. No more tricks meant solely to impress and amaze the audience.

The magic act is over. There's a job to do and a personal legacy to build.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice quote.

I love the feel of the writing, and I'm also pretty nervous about it. :man10: Howard needs to grow and that means taking chances. We've all wanted to see him become Hakeem in the post since he trained with him, but he was too afraid to make those moves. Too afraid to fail at them.

Now he's integrating those bank shots because he's not afraid of missing them. He's not afraid of a lower FG%. Okay. I understand that.

But I'm still kind of nervous about it. Growing with another player like we grew with Kobe is going to be a long journey. It took Kobe years to be what he is now, how long before Howard starts feeling more confident than what we're seeing? How long before those bank shots are being taken because he WANTS them, not because he's not AFRAID of them?

It'll be a new journey and that's kind of frightening. But it's also exciting because we're going to grow with him hopefully. Things are looking up for our future compared to a few months ago. That's for sure.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Howard needs to have a short memory of what he does on the court. Dwelling on it does not help if that is what he tends to do.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Weezy wrote:Good Kevin Ding article, as usual

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/howard-500308-lakers-orlando.html

Published: March 19, 2013 Updated: 8:40 a.m.
Ding: Howard leaves manager after 9 years

Kevin Ding column: Lakers center Dwight Howard has fired his longtime business manager, another step in his evolution into his own man.

PHOENIX – More and more over the past two months, Dwight Howard has smiled the real smile.

He has joked with people to make himself happy instead of worrying about making them laugh. He has accepted both criticism and advice of others and come away a bigger man because he's not trying so hard to judge himself compared to any others.

Howard is growing all on his own, single-mindedly focused on who he wants to be, and he has taken another major step forward in his career by leaving the business manager who has been Howard's primary advisor his entire career, Kevin Samples.

"We had nine great years together," Howard told me late Monday night. "Just time to go separate ways."

For all the intangible growth Howard has discovered recently, breaking away from Samples is a concrete gesture that the past is the past – and Howard is confident in calling his own shots in the future.

"I know what I want to accomplish," Howard said. "I've always written down my goals and everything I want, and I want to make sure I get 'em. Everything I've lost, everything that's gone away, I'm going to get it back."

Samples came to Los Angeles with Howard after the trade to the Lakers, and it was hard to envision him not being around considering they're actually first cousins – and Howard's parents dispatched Samples to live with Howard in Orlando right after the 2004 NBA draft as a big brother/guidance counselor/business manager.

Their relationship grew into Dwight Howard Enterprises, which had two and only two officers: Howard and Samples.

For Howard to sever the tie is no small statement.

"He's still my cousin, my family, so we'll always be around each other," Howard said. "But we just parted ways on the business side."

Someone should've been fired for the "Dwightmare" in Orlando, for sure. But Howard's M.O. has never been to hold an employee accountable like some cold-hearted taskmaster.

What has changed is Howard can reflect on what went awry in Orlando with a healthy perspective now: He wanted to leave the Magic organization, but not really the people and the community that had become so connected to him. He needed to venture out to grow and deep-down he knew it – but he was a little scared to try something that big and new.

Howard was a little scared as he started out with the Lakers, too – unsure about his body after back surgery and lacking his usual freakish physical dominance. Even as Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak was behind the scenes reclaiming his spot on the All-Virtue team for patience, frustration grew from teammates and coaches over Howard not more aggressively testing the limits of what he could give the Lakers.

Howard maintains that it was mostly his lack of physical fitness that stopped him, but maybe he looked chicken because nothing was egging him on.

Howard's major breakthrough was in attitude.

No more whining about touches in the post – replaced by a total commitment to defending and rebounding, plus creating devastating pick-and-roll ball with two legendary ball-handlers Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash.

No more excuses about his body – which Howard still managed to bring in at a career-low 5.8 percent body fat to start the season and drop down further to 5.0. No more needing time to wait and hope for less pain from the torn labrum in his right shoulder. Instead, a commitment to cutting sugar out of his diet to two months and pushing his conditioning to the point that it meant even humbly asking out of a game.

Rather than spouting clichés about the Lakers needing to do the right things to start winning, Howard simply started doing those things that he knows are right.

And when you live life like that, you can't help but feel comfortable in your own skin.

That's how Howard could be so unflappable as he marched through the fire of his Orlando homecoming one week ago.

Bryant advised Howard to be a killer, but that's Bryant. What Howard is learning more from Bryant is how not to surrender to the fear of failure.

So Howard played his game, had his fun and got the victory in Orlando, telling hecklers "Thank you" or "Let it go" or "I'm going to get mine" depending on how he felt – not giving anyone's hateful words or outside opinions the power to control him.

Even Monday night in Phoenix, Howard launched a series of jump shots – missing some, banking one in quite nicely. The reflexive reaction is to term it a low-percentage play, but understand this: It's a kind of progress for Howard.

He hates to miss shots. It's a huge part of his free-throw anxiety. He gets more caught up in the crowd's reaction than his own satisfaction – and even more so feels their dismay when he misses. What Kendrick Perkins figured out in becoming a Dwight-stopper was that Howard really only wanted to take shots he knew he would make – dunks – and with everything else was afraid to fail, afraid what other people would think if he did.

Now Howard is trending in the other direction, though.

He believes more than ever that there is more for him to learn and accomplish – and through that mentality, all the power is his. No more tricks meant solely to impress and amaze the audience.

The magic act is over. There's a job to do and a personal legacy to build.

Well done Kevin Ding, another great article in the many you have written.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby ShowtimeACB on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't wanna be that guy, but why is nobody complaining that he only got 6 "shots" last night? Is it only an issue that he gets that few shots when Kobe is playing, but when he's not its ok? Just saying, I don't see the usual people complaining about him going 4/6 for the game and not getting more shots, kinda odd.

What´s the main issue here for you ,buddy?

Howard not getting enough touches or people complaining about Howard not getting enough touches when Kobe is playing so u think they blame him for that?

I mean, this is about the Lakers, not Kobe, not Howard.

Having the best C these days and not even trying to get the best out of him is something the Lakers should had changed long time ago, whether Kobe is on the floor or not, that shouldn´t make any difference at all, in fact, it should be easier when he´s out there to have Howard much more involved and have him producing more.
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0as8tDg391rpeq3xo1_400.jpg/img]
ShowtimeACB

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:18 pm

My issue was it's not Kobe that's not getting Dwight shots, it's not Kobe holding Dwight back from being an offensive beast, it's the system, the coach, the entire team, Howard himself not being reliable enough or demanding the ball enough and going out there and taking it if he wants it. My point was that it was interesting that people complain about how few shots Howard gets in a lot of games when Kobe is playing and a lot say it's his fault, but why is it not even brought up when Kobe isn't playing and it still happens? That's all, just wanted to understand the thinking there.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:16 pm

good piece by ding. regardless of how things turn out in the standings, howard's recent uptick in both play and attitude have been huge for me as a fan going forward. this year's been a huge disappointment, but i have some optimism lately because howard seems more committed and connected to the organization. that's building a foundation. i wonder how much mitch managed this behind the scenes.
abeer3

Postby JSM on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Mark Medina
Dwight Howard: Suns players told him they fouled "the crap out of him"
PHOENIX — A bizarro world opened up. And the reasons went beyond the Lakers losing to the Phoenix Suns mere days after collecting a signature victory over the Indiana Pacers despite Kobe Bryant’s absence for most of it.

This has to do with Dwight Howard’s performance. His 16-point performance on 6 -of-18 shooting included only a 3 of 12 mark from shots in the lane. Yet, Howard also hit two mid-range jumpers. Howard made 4 of 5 free throws, but he missed two open dunks and committed four turnovers.

What gives?

”There was a lot of times where they were intentionally trying to foul and they weren’t called. They even said it, ‘I fouled the crap out of you on that play,’ and we’d just laugh about it,” Howard said. “But there’s nothing I can do but try not to say anything to the referees and just play through it.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:30 pm

You see that happening a lot and I don't get it, it's like he's reffed by a different standard like Shaq was because he's so big and strong.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard