D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: feeling better, won't play 2night

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:38 am

Also we will NEVER hear the end of it if Dwight gets injured again tonight. Kobe will be absolutely slaughtered by the media for "forcing" Dwight to play.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:38 am

Kit wrote:If Dwight is gone this summer, any good FA we can sign w/ the money?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FreeAgents-12-13/nba-free-agents-2012-2013

Sorry bud, we're over the cap.
D.B. Cooper

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 am

Ok apparently they made a false report. Dwight is only a game time decision, not official he is playing.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Also we will NEVER hear the end of it if Dwight gets injured again tonight. Kobe will be absolutely slaughtered by the media for "forcing" Dwight to play.

Lets just hope that doesn't happen
King of Clutch

Postby revgen on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am

abeer3 wrote:dwight's right: it's his career. the lakers don't have a great track record diagnosing injuries, and he has no reason to feel loyalty to this organization at this point.

As opposed to the Orlando organization? Who told him he could "keep playing" earlier last season when his back was getting tight?

He doesn't have to feel loyal, but he should play through pain if it's not going to make the problem worse. This is an upper extremity injury. He's not putting 250lbs of weight on his shoulder like he would if he had a knee injury, foot injury, or back injury.

I could understand if D12 doesn't have the mental fortitude that Kobe has. Nobody does. What I can't understand is how D12 can't have the mental fortitude that LO had. LO played through the exact same injury D12 has, and we weren't even a good team back then. Oh and Odom wasn't a "guard" either, so that excuse doesn't fly.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:42 am

I absolutely agree with SAS!

KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am

King of Clutch wrote:
abeer3 wrote:i get both sides, but dwight's right, imo. he can't say it, but why risk next season on the very slim and shrinking-by-the-day chance that you can be slaughtered by okc in the first round? so kobe and nash don't have "missed playoffs" on their hof resume?

Because your on this team as well. And if you think this will be your team in the long run, you'd do whatever you can to win every year. He didn't sit out for an extended time with his injury last year in orlando. Why? Because it was his home, and his team for the foreseeable future. If you don't see this team as being your team in the future, you would then say, "why risk next season on the very slim and shrinking-by-the-day chance that you can be slaughtered by okc in the first round? ".

This is very true. It'd show Laker fans a lot of loyalty and the one comment that made me nervous about this was the "no one is looking out for me" comment. Dwight, c'mon man, we as an organization are trying to embrace you, but you need to give us something first. We're not just going to coddle you. We need to see something like this, something where you're as all in as the rest of us. I know it's scary, but if he's that nervous then he needs to see a doctor who can tell him that he can't worsen the injury by playing through it. Go get proof. If not, then you've got to just play man. Play through the pain and show the team and the fans of LA that you're really willing to be that guy for us.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:46 am

Look, dwight would be resting and no one would be pressuring him if we had a guaranteed playoff spot. But thats just not the case. This situation is different. And I hope he understands that.
King of Clutch

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the main issue here pain tolerance? and less so the risk of some further injury
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Dfishman on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am

I honestly don't understand why people are reacting this way. If Dwight is really injured, he shouldn't play. He's supposed to be the future of our team and we need him to be healthy for the long-run. We were all too happy to rush him back from BACK SURGERY and it's clearly taking its toll on him. Now he has a torn labrum and instead of crossing our fingers while he heals and hoping it doesn't need surgery till the off season, we're calling him names and telling him he needs to rush back? This feels like lunacy to me.

I get that he comes off as a wuss and a baby, but the guy is clearly hurt. I'd rather he continued to rest and get better while we take our chances against Boston and Charlotte...rather than rush back and potentially make things worse. And don't lose perspective: Kobe is superhuman when it comes to injuries. Nobody has ever played through injuries like he has, ever. And he doesn't know what it is to be Dwight's size and weight. Very few people do. I hope Dwight DOESN'T play tonight or tomorrow. We need him for the next 7-8 years, not the next 2 regular season games.
Dfishman

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 am

Dfishman wrote:I honestly don't understand why people are reacting this way. If Dwight is really injured, he shouldn't play. He's supposed to be the future of our team and we need him to be healthy for the long-run. We were all too happy to rush him back from BACK SURGERY and it's clearly taking its toll on him. Now he has a torn labrum and instead of crossing our fingers while he heals and hoping it doesn't need surgery till the off season, we're calling him names and telling him he needs to rush back? This feels like lunacy to me.

I get that he comes off as a wuss and a baby, but the guy is clearly hurt. I'd rather he continued to rest and get better while we take our chances against Boston and Charlotte...rather than rush back and potentially make things worse. And don't lose perspective: Kobe is superhuman when it comes to injuries. Nobody has ever played through injuries like he has, ever. And he doesn't know what it is to be Dwight's size and weight. Very few people do. I hope Dwight DOESN'T play tonight or tomorrow. We need him for the next 7-8 years, not the next 2 regular season games.

...............................................I disagree. He can sit tomorrow. But we need him vs boston. We are HORRIBLE without pau and howard.
King of Clutch

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: might play vs. Boston

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am

wanna stop injuring your shoulder? stop holding the ball low and getting stripped.

every time he gathers himself for a dunk, he always brings it down low, and gets stripped. if he just kept the ball high, there wouldn't be a problem.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:57 am

I agree with Stephen A as well and I don't get the big deal about what Kobe said, or why Legler would say he crossed the line. Kobe is saying if you can play, you play, that is how it goes on the Lakers. If you can't make an injury worse by playing, you play. I guess the media or whoever disagrees or gets upset by comments like that doesn't remember oldschool NBA ball (and we're not even talking that long ago, early 2000's still had this type of NBA), where men were men and played through stuff all the time, taped it up and played. Now you gotta worry about hurting feelings with what you say, it's lame. Even Nash just said everyone has to play with some pain. If we were in first place with a big cushion or something then sure Dwight could afford to sit and heal, but we're not, we need every win we can get right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 am

lakerfan2 wrote:wanna stop injuring your shoulder? stop holding the ball low and getting stripped.

every time he gathers himself for a dunk, he always brings it down low, and gets stripped. if he just kept the ball high, there wouldn't be a problem.

I think he must black out when he gets stripped under the hoop. He seems to have no idea its happening.

He's been doing it his entire career and hasnt changed it at all. You'd think he'd get tired of guards abusing him in the post...
phoenixrisingla

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I want Dwight to play tonight and then take a good break, I know he has to play the game but maybe he can play minimally, with the All-Star Break. We need him for this game and Miami. If he can't shoot without pain, then maybe it doesn't make a difference, if he is just feeling a slight tingle, then do it. But his Interview with SAS and his legs going numb and stuff, that is concerning.

I think Nash and Kobe want him to play, but I feel like they know what he is going through and will deal with whatever happens.
The Laker Link

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Kobe wouldn't come out and ask him twice publicly to play unless Dwight did something or didnt do something that Kobe wanted for the sake of the team. I dont think the point is that Dwight should play through injuries and play these next 2 games...its just show some seriousness about the team, do all you can as a committment to this team to put them in champoinship contention, that is the bigger issue here...the bigger picture.

I still think Dwight shouldn't play tonight and tomorrow and we should win these 2 games but Kobe's bringing playing through injuries as a bigger picture kind of deal

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Snake Eyes on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Dude, LakerLink, that is an awesome avatar!
Snake Eyes

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Reporter: Have you talked to Kobe about it, just your situation?

Dwight Howard: "What situation?"

Reporter: In terms of your injury and all that?

DH: "Have I talked to Kobe?"

Reporter: Yes, just as far as outlining, like, telling him your perspective?

DH: "Of what?"

Reporter: Of you wanting to take the long view?

DH: "Why do I have to explain that to Kobe?"

Reporter: Well, because he’s a teammate …

DH: "He’s a doctor?"

Reporter: No, but he’s a teammate.

DH: "OK. So I should explain that to all my teammates then, right?"

Reporter: I’m not insinuating that. I’m just asking, have you talked to him?

DH: "I’m asking you …"

Reporter: I don’t know if you’ve talked to him.

DH: "I’m asking you, I’m supposed to tell all my teammates?"

Reporter: No, I’m just asking if you talked to him.

DH: "Just Kobe. Just Kobe."

Reporter: Considering the comments he made yesterday …

DH: "I don’t know what he said."

Reporter No. 2: He says we don’t have time for Dwight’s shoulder to heal. We need urgency. We need him back on the floor. This is the Lakers. It’s either a championship or a complete failure.

DH: "OK."

Reporter No. 2: What do you say to that?

DH: "That’s his opinion."

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/89fa0ae2-ee2f-4212-9e7e-ec40e68e8888/?source=twitter

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 pm

The Laker Link wrote:if he is just feeling a slight tingle, then do it. But his Interview with SAS and his legs going numb and stuff, that is concerning.

He has been talking about having numbness in his legs due to his back injury all season, it is not something new, and it might be something that never goes away. He said tw doctors told him he would have issues like that, though I forget if it was for a while or long term. So playing or not playing isn't going to help that, it has nothing to do with his shoulder injury, and as far as his back goes it's healed or he wouldn't have been playing all season, he might be at "75%" because of it but it is healed.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Anybody have legler's thoughts on kobe's comments?
King of Clutch

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Oh and it's pretty clear that Dwight isn't in a good mood today because of Kobe's comments.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:Dude, LakerLink, that is an awesome avatar!

Found it on LG.net
The Laker Link

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 pm

The Rock wrote:
Reporter: Have you talked to Kobe about it, just your situation?

Dwight Howard: "What situation?"

Reporter: In terms of your injury and all that?

DH: "Have I talked to Kobe?"

Reporter: Yes, just as far as outlining, like, telling him your perspective?

DH: "Of what?"

Reporter: Of you wanting to take the long view?

DH: "Why do I have to explain that to Kobe?"

Reporter: Well, because he’s a teammate …

DH: "He’s a doctor?"

Reporter: No, but he’s a teammate.

DH: "OK. So I should explain that to all my teammates then, right?"

Reporter: I’m not insinuating that. I’m just asking, have you talked to him?

DH: "I’m asking you …"

Reporter: I don’t know if you’ve talked to him.

DH: "I’m asking you, I’m supposed to tell all my teammates?"

Reporter: No, I’m just asking if you talked to him.

DH: "Just Kobe. Just Kobe."

Reporter: Considering the comments he made yesterday …

DH: "I don’t know what he said."

Reporter No. 2: He says we don’t have time for Dwight’s shoulder to heal. We need urgency. We need him back on the floor. This is the Lakers. It’s either a championship or a complete failure.

DH: "OK."

Reporter No. 2: What do you say to that?

DH: "That’s his opinion."

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/89fa0ae2-ee2f-4212-9e7e-ec40e68e8888/?source=twitter

Dwight's ego is oozing all through that chat. He's right though, he doesn't have to talk to kobe about anything. But unlike the reporter stated to START OFF the question, kobe did reference it in his interview, and it's been all over the media. Should've talked to kobe and the whole team about just how serious the injury is. And if its a, "I can't play if I wanted to". Or a "I can't play because I want to secure my future." I think its the latter. And maybe thats why he isn't talking about it with the team. Doesn't want to cause any problems.
Last edited by King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Clutch

Postby NeeJee on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 pm

I think the media is just blowing up all of these comments. I think the reason for Dwight's demeanor is just because he's tired of all this media garbage. He's probably just sick of every little comment being blown up into one huge story when they probably mean nothing at all. But he does have to understand that this is L.A. Everything is is blown up in L.A.
NeeJee

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:22 pm

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8926084/dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers-tired-people-questioning-shoulder-injury

Bryant said that his comments on Wednesday weren't meant to turn up the pressure on Howard in light of the news that Pau Gasol has a torn plantar fascia in his right foot.

"There's an urgency to be out there, but it's not at the cost of making his shoulder worse," Bryant said after shootaround. "I've always said if he was healthy enough to play and there was a situation where he wasn't going to make it any worse then he should be playing. There should be an urgency about that, but I don't think I said anything that was different (then he said before)."

Bryant wasn't the only one of Howard's teammates to clamor for the All-Star center's return, however.

"I think everyone has got to play through some pain in this league and I'm not sure where Dwight exactly with his (injury), but hopefully he's ready to come back soon," Steve Nash said. "I think it's inevitable he's going to feel some discomfort and pain."

Metta World Peace spoke up in support of Howard, citing how effective he has been while coming off offseason back surgery.

"He's doing great and (he is) a great teammate," World Peace said. "He's out there, he had a couple 20-20 games and is averaging 18 and 11 or something like that playing hurt coming off that back surgery. I would say he's a soldier and I'm not going to question his injury. He's hurt to me. We have to go out there and we have to hold it down for him."

Howard said that Gasol's injury has not sped up his timeline to return and added that the way he feels he mishandled his back injury last season in Orlando is shaping how he deals with his shoulder this year.

"I don't want that situation to happen again," Howard said. "Last year I wanted to prove and show people that I can play through injuries, but the back is something serious and I don't want that to happen again."

Howard was asked if he could see his shoulder injury becoming worse if he gets back on the court.

"Yes, (with) the way I play," Howard said. "The post is not an easy position. You're pushing guys (who weigh) 260-270 (pounds) and you have to use a lot of force to do that. If play tonight, we'll see how I feel later on. If I don't, we'll just have to move forward."

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard