D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: D12 Thread: Hey Mitch, tell me how my @** feel

Postby Lqv2015 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 am

At this point, I could care less if he leaves or stay. The stuff he does on the court bugs the heck out of me but one thing I can't stand is how he never really embraced it here. The man gives neutral answers to every question about the franchise. D12, you gotta give respect to the P&G before you can get respect from us fans.
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby Herm24 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 pm

The real question is how do you pay a player max money when his game doesn't warrant max dollars ... That's the delima the Lakers are in .. No way, shape or form is Dwight worth 117 Mill .. He should almost feel embarrassed asking for that much .. But the Lakers have zero leverage in this situation so i can see him getting it .. Give me Tyson Chadler or Larry Sanders over Dwight for a 1/3 of the cost any day of the week
Herm24

Postby borri on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:22 pm

And so the saga continues. I'll wait til this matter is resolved before I jump in on this thread and any thread concerning roster movements for next season.
borri

Postby thisbjgz on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Thinking about it more and more...I'm actually ok with the thought of losing Dwight...if he SERIOUSLY is willing to quit on (another) team..so be it. Let him be the detriment to another team. His lack of post moves and diva like attitude is SO annoying. Like seriously???!?!? you can't even adjust a good position to catch the ball without giving an off arm to the defender? Isn't that posting 101? getting good position?

What Shaq said is absolutely spot on, he needs to stop whining and complaining about all these no calls, man up, go out and dominate. I understand he gets mugged and has no respect from the refs, but seriously, there's no reason..ABSOLUTELY NO REASON...that an unknown scrub...ARON BAYNES? WHO? WHAT? I play fantasy basketball every year and I have no idea this guy even existed in this league. ARON BAYNES was guarding you for god sake...ARON BAYNES ! you let this guy get in your head and punish you down low...He quit on our team. plan and simple. He quit when times got rough, gave an elbow to little Corey Joseph too, just lol.
thisbjgz

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Herm24 wrote:The real question is how do you pay a player max money when his game doesn't warrant max dollars ... That's the delima the Lakers are in .. No way, shape or form is Dwight worth 117 Mill .. He should almost feel embarrassed asking for that much .. But the Lakers have zero leverage in this situation so i can see him getting it .. Give me Tyson Chadler or Larry Sanders over Dwight for a 1/3 of the cost any day of the week

Chandler is making $14 million and I believe Sanders is still on his rookie contract. I'd much rather have Dwight over Chandler, and it's just unfair to compare the contract situations of Sanders to Dwight.
XXIV

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Herm24 wrote:The real question is how do you pay a player max money when his game doesn't warrant max dollars ... That's the delima the Lakers are in .. No way, shape or form is Dwight worth 117 Mill .. He should almost feel embarrassed asking for that much .. But the Lakers have zero leverage in this situation so i can see him getting it .. Give me Tyson Chadler or Larry Sanders over Dwight for a 1/3 of the cost any day of the week

From the business side at the very least, of it the Lakers would happily give him the max. Chandler got a nice little contract from the Knicks too, so he's not exactly playing for nothing, and there isn't the potential to make as much money off of him as there is with Dwight.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:

From the business side at the very least, of it the Lakers would happily give him the max. Chandler got a nice little contract from the Knicks too, so he's not exactly playing for nothing, and there isn't the potential to make as much money off of him as there is with Dwight.

Yep. The NBA is about $ and Dwight brings in dough.

That 5 year 117 million dollar contract is going to net the Lakers probably between 5-10 times that much in the same amount of time.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Herm24 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm

It's not a question of whether the Lakers make a return on their investment .. It's more of matter of having a player take up that much cap space when he's not worth it .. Essentially you're overpaying one postion when you can use that money to fill other holes .
Herm24

Postby thkthebest on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Of course you give Dwight the max. Come on. Even Hibbert is getting paid $14 million per year to be a 12/8 guy. Dwight's 5 times the player that Hibbert will ever be.

We need to worry about the other positions.
thkthebest

Postby Herm24 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Dwight is not 5 times the player Hibbert is .. If he was 5 times the player Hibbert is then he would know how to post up .. It's not a coincidence that Dwight picks up 2 offensive fouls a game and gets stripped 4 times game .. He lacks fundamentals .. You don't try to post up with your arms .. You use your legs and your base .. He doesn't know to seal whatsoever as well .. Supremely flawed on the offensive end
Herm24

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:17 pm

No, but there's not really much option is there left with the new CBA?

Even if we don't sign Dwight, amensty Pau/Kobe, Nahs retires, and let everyone else expire, this team would have nothing else to work with. The free agent class of the next two years is not definable. Most of the target players (Kyrie, Lebron...etc.) have player/team options. To split that between a few players at $57M is not working with much. You have to lock up with what you already have, even if he's "flawed". He's young, he's athletic, and he's hungry.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm

was listening to mase/ireland and caller made note we CAN sign and trade Howard away cause he heard those ESPN guys say the same thing. So I was right, you can S&T away players we just can't get back a player that needs to be signed 1st. So with that said, I'd be ok S&T Howard if we get necessary building blocks. Along with Pau trade we could start over sooner then 2014.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 pm

^ With what? You gave up all your picks and the only crap you'd get back is role players other teams don't want.

Trading Dwight Howard would be the dumbest thing the Lakers could do unless Dwight demanded it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 pm

^Just curious...what if we could get Deng and Noah for Howard in a S&T?
Chillbongo

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 pm

well obviously trdl we wouldn't S&T him for the hell of it, He would have to say he's not coming back period...at least that way we dont get jack squat like tor/mia did with bosh/lebron.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Chillbongo wrote:^Just curious...what if we could get Deng and Noah for Howard in a S&T?

I'd still say no. Just look at Chicago even WITH Rose that wasn't a Championship team. That wouldn't change here. If we were talking a Deng for Gasol deal, that's different.
khmrP wrote:well obviously trdl we wouldn't S&T him for the hell of it, He would have to say he's not coming back period...at least that way we dont get jack squat like tor/mia did with bosh/lebron.
Agreed.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby davriver290 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Letting Dwight go or trading him away is dumb.. He is still a very good player. Granted he needs to work on his post game, but other than that he plays defense well. He's energetic, athletic and exactly what we need for the C position. Our main problems lie elsewhere.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby slimjim on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 pm

The only reason Dwight is worth the max is because he has the marquee brand name very few in the league have.

His game isn't worth the max (He's a rich man's Tyson Chandler), he'll put butts in the seats. :bang:

Beast on defense, mediocre on offense. Polar opposite to Kobe in regards to intangibles.

I personally don't care if Dwight leaves. This will leave the Lakers with a lot of cap space in 14/15 summer.

LBJ is coming :man12: :man13: :jam2:
slimjim

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:13 pm

^Yeah Dwight's offense is not Max worthy, but he should get the max, unfortunately. I still think it's a trap because you really do need another player to win with Dwight. Plus he's shown he's mentally fragile and doesn't have killer instict.

Hope our FO isn't making the choice to save $$ by having Dwight be our marquee guy to fill seats. I could see them justifying getting fillers, and making the PO's as success.

I think Dwight/Mitch/Jim going to have a long talk this summer about a lot of things....future of the franchise, title contention, role players, coach, 2014 plan....a lot of things. If we meet Dwight's expectations on those he stays. Otherwise who knows, maybe he asks for a S&T. At least in our favor a S&T benefits both of us.
Chillbongo

Postby thkthebest on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Is it somehow an insult now to need another max player to win?

Has Kobe ever won without another max player? LeBron hasn't and most likely won't. Boston had three max players. Even though Dirk didn't have a max player next to him, he had THREE other players making $10+ million.

You guys are acting like contenders only have 1 max player. It's not 1 max + role players. Dwight's going to need help. Nobody does it alone.
thkthebest

Postby quartzcharm on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:03 pm

I have to agree that I just don't think Dwight is a max guy. He doesn't deserve it.

He simply is not a leader.
quartzcharm

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Then no center in the NBA deserves the max.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby cthroatgtr on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Well we saw a guy that played sooner than he should have and then ended up with a coach that would prefer to trot out 5 guards if he could. Tough to judge this season really. I thought the second half of the season we saw what he could be and when he was out, the team was awful so he is a legitimate talent. You can't keep D'Antoni with Howard though...just a bad mix.
cthroatgtr

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:40 pm

what foul
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

PreviousNext