Darius Johnson Odom Discussion: Waived

Re: Welcome to the Lakers Darius Johnson Odom

Postby nduri on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:31 pm

vic5150 wrote:
ben_ready wrote:A.i was to small to play the 2
Charles Barkley was to small to play the 4
Magic was to big to be a pg
Will people shut the f up and let it play out yell™

I'm waiting for you to list a undersized second rounder without hall-of-fame talent to make it in the NBA. I'll even give you a marginal player to start, Nate Robinson.

LOL, if it had been known that they had "hall of fame" talent I doubt they would have lasted until the second round.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:28 am

Great athleticism, good attitude, can shoot, and plays D...looking forward to seeing if he can bring anything to the table. If we strike out on FA shooters, he and Glock might get some burn with Nash. Hell, Brown and infinite wisdom might throw all 3 of them on the floor together...smallest lineup in the NBA. On a serious note, I think the competition will help both DJO and Glock.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby halekulani on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:27 am

^not sure about "great" athleticism. i think it's ok. it isn't enough to compensate for his lack of height.
---
djo is a tough hustle player. he's not the most skilled or most athletic, but he's going to put it all out on the floor. he's also a veteran in college ball so he's not a youngin anymore. he was one of the primary scorers at marquette so he has experience in that aspect as well, even if it just means leading the team off of the bench. i really like him as a pick. i dont think he's gonna be afraid to shoot the ball.
halekulani

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:33 am

halekulani wrote:^not sure about "great" athleticism. i think it's ok. it isn't enough to compensate for his lack of height.
---
djo is a tough hustle player. he's not the most skilled or most athletic, but he's going to put it all out on the floor. he's also a veteran in college ball so he's not a youngin anymore. he was one of the primary scorers at marquette so he has experience in that aspect as well, even if it just means leading the team off of the bench. i really like him as a pick. i dont think he's gonna be afraid to shoot the ball.

He registered first at some NBA combines for athleticism.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby halekulani on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:43 am

vic5150 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:He's not a PG, he's a SG.

He's 6'2" he's a point guard period. Only way he's checking a SG is in transition cross matches. In fact he's smaller than quite a few point guards. Bravado and athleticism only get you so far, eventually you need to fill the role that has been given to you.

he's not a pg at all
he's a straight up scorer.
halekulani

Postby Fulzgold on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:55 am

Fulzgold wrote:His game reminds me more of Fish than Harden. Limited playmaking instincts but a solid lefty stroke and built like a brick house. Funny how a guy with a 41 inch vertical basically shoots a set shot.

We need shooters who can defend. Maybe he can foot the bill.

therealdeal wrote:^ One player I did not even remotely think about when watching his game was Derek Fisher.

Rick Fox compared DJO to Fisher as soon as he checked in yesterday :boxing1:
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 am

Fulzgold wrote:
Fulzgold wrote:His game reminds me more of Fish than Harden. Limited playmaking instincts but a solid lefty stroke and built like a brick house. Funny how a guy with a 41 inch vertical basically shoots a set shot.

We need shooters who can defend. Maybe he can foot the bill.

therealdeal wrote:^ One player I did not even remotely think about when watching his game was Derek Fisher.

Rick Fox compared DJO to Fisher as soon as he checked in yesterday :boxing1:

Really? Why?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:39 am

Johnson-Odom’s development key for L.A.

So the door is wide open for the diminutive former Marquette guard. Especially since his two biggest strengths, shooting and defense, are currently needs.

It’s a unique opportunity he’s hoping to make good on.

“You just got to play,” Johnson-Odom said after the Lakers’ 90-50 loss to the Golden State Warriors in their Las Vegas Summer League opener. “I think I have the talent to be a Laker. That’s where I want to play. I just got to show them and keep improving.”

His first display wasn’t exactly convincing.

Johnson-Odom, who shot 45 percent from the floor and 39 percent from 3 for the Golden Eagles this past season, couldn’t get anything going offensively. In 21 minutes off the bench against a Warriors team loaded with young talent, Johnson-Odom missed all eight of his shots and finished with three points, three rebounds and one assist.

“Everybody on our team, even the guys that were with the Lakers last year, were a little nervous,” he said. “We were all trying to find our way in the system and how we can be at our best for the Lakers. I think you’ll see different things from us [Saturday].

“I’m glad to get this one out of the way. But we’ve got four more games left, and I think the guys can kind of see what we did wrong and how it will help us the next game.”

“I’m a rookie. I’m gonna find my niche sometime soon,” he said. “I just don’t know when it’s gonna be. But for me, I just have to stay focused on what I’m trying to do, and that’s trying to help the team become better.”

For more/rest of article, click the link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/31942/lakers-keen-on-darius-johnson-odom%E2%80%99s-development
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:49 am

Doc Brown wrote:If DJO can overcome the height issue

Well, he's plenty strong, which helps when you don't have the height advantage.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Mookie on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:55 am

Look at the guns on that...

I'm not gay, but woah!
Mookie

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Definitely looking forward to seeing if he can put aside his bad performance yesterday and come ready to play today. Obviously he said he can and will, but I actually want to see it.
Battle Tested20

Postby Damian Necronamous on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Can we talk about how stacked that GSW Summer League team is? LOL

Charles Jenkins
Klay Thompson
Harrison Barnes/Chris Wright
Jeremy Tyler/Draymond Green
Festus Ezeli

That's like half of their NBA team, and at least 4 of them are good enough to be solid contributors this year.

Meanwhile, the Lakers are trotting out...
Darius Morris
Andrew Goudelock/DJO
Devin Ebanks/Eyenga
???
Sacre

Yeah, of course they lost by 40.
Damian Necronamous

Postby kray28 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:41 pm

They should just hand the Summer League Championship trophy to the Warriors already. :man1:
kray28

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:19 pm

golden state - "we play for summer league championships here"
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:25 pm

He's got potential. You can see that he plays with confidence and within himself. Penetrates kinda but without speed...more by playing smart if you get what I mean. Shot fakes are awesome. And free throws are swishes every time. His shot wasn't falling but I can see it to start eventually and he'll be balling..

Dudes shoulders/arms are huge and he looks like Lloyd Banks lol
Ariza3

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Shorter guys have to make up for it through either speed or smarts. This kid has some bbiq, so he might be ok. Strength helps against bigger guys too, so his defense against pg's might be ok.

It's too early to tell, though.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby magic2kb8 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Ariza3 wrote:He's got potential. You can see that he plays with confidence and within himself. Penetrates kinda but without speed...more by playing smart if you get what I mean. Shot fakes are awesome. And free throws are swishes every time. His shot wasn't falling but I can see it to start eventually and he'll be balling..

lloyd banks with kanyes jaw
magic2kb8

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:08 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Shorter guys have to make up for it through either speed or smarts. This kid has some bbiq, so he might be ok. Strength helps against bigger guys too, so his defense against pg's might be ok.

It's too early to tell, though.

Exactly
Battle Tested20

Postby ben_ready on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

Got to work on that handle and change of direction. He better become a second skin to nash in practice,get some extra confidence
Yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/07/1 ... he-lakers/

Can DJO’s D Help the Lakers?
Published by Mike Trudell on July 14, 2012 7:38 pm in Summer League.
The Lakers lost 84-72 to Sacramento to fall to 0-2 in the Las Vegas Summer League on Saturday evening, but assistant Chuck Person isn’t overly focused on the win/loss column when reporting back to coach Mike Brown and GM Mitch Kupchak.

“We’re trying to see who can fill our voids when the regular season starts, see if anybody can crack the rotation and be a contributor when the games count,” said Person. “It’s more about that than results right now.”

One such player trying to prove that he can play with the varsity squad is combo guard Darius Johnson-Odom, the 55th pick in June 28th’s Draft, who has impressed L.A.’s brass particularly on the defensive end. That the Lakers look to such a deep second round pick shows the difference between them and the many organizations who feature lottery picks that will be depended upon to make an impact.

With a need to get playoff-ready performers to compliment the core of Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum and thus a lack of a first round draft pick — let alone a lottery pick — in the past few seasons, L.A. has instead filled the back end of its roster with a bevy of second rounders.

In fact, the summer league squad features five players taken (mostly later) in the second round of the past three seasons: Darius Morris; Andrew Goudelock; Ater Majok; Darius Johnson-Odom and Robert Sacre.

Morris and Goudelock proved capable of handling limited minutes during their rookie season. Both flashed signs of improvement at the first two games in Vegas, but neither was able to crack Mike Brown’s shortened playoff rotation. On Friday, the two saw their team dominated by a lottery-loaded Golden State team featuring Klay Thompson (2011 No. 11) and Harrison Barnes (2012 No. 7). Morris in particular was better against the Kings, scoring a team-high 17 points in 24 minutes, while Johnson-Odom’s defense sparked an improved team effort that produced a lead until late in the third.

Goudelock can score at the NBA level and Morris is showing signs of making plays and finishing at the rim with a stronger body, but for L.A.’s needs, DJO’s D may be most appealing.

“He’s defending very well and playing hard,” said L.A. assistant GM Glenn Carraro. “He’s extremely athletic – his numbers were off the charts when we tested him. We think he can guard the quicker point guards in the NBA, and he’s also handling the ball pretty well, so we feel good about where he can go.”

Johnson-Odom’s first action on Saturday came shortly after the 5-minute mark, when he checked in to check Jimmer Fredette, a big-time college scorer who averaged 7.6 points in 18.6 minutes as a rookie on 38.6 percent from the field. Fredette had trouble creating any space with the combo of Johnson-Odom and Christian Eyenga, finishing just 3 for 11.

DJO isn’t tall (he’s generously listed at 6-3), but he’s very strong and quick, a combination that reminds of an early Ron Artest, who moved his feet so well yet also had the strength to dissuade driving lanes.

“You have to have a drive to play defense,” Carraro continued. “It has to be in your DNA, and Darius definitely has it. He doesn’t back down from anyone and that’s great. It’s something we need.”

Johnson-Odom didn’t have as much success on the offensive end, hitting 3 of 10 shots after an 0 for 8 debut on Friday, but Lakers player development coach Phil Handy said he’s a capable shooter technique wise, which is backed up by acceptable shooting percentages in his three years at Marquette. He scored 18.6 points per game in 2011-12, behind 44.7 percent from the field and 38.5 percent from three.

“I was known to be able to score in college, but I want to show everyone at the NBA level that I’m a great defender,” DJO offered. “If I hopefully make the team, I’m going to need to make open shots and good decisions with the ball, but I’m not going to be needed to score. I want to provide an energy boost and guard the best perimeter player.”

Johnson-Odom, who packs 217 pounds into his frame, explained that while he’s always been sturdy, he had a football coach that put him on a lifting program without off days — including on game days — that he found helped him with his general strength and with his shot.

That’s something that helps on D, to the point that Person said he thinks DJO could be used on explosive guards like OKC’s Russell Westbrook or Chicago’s Derrick Rose.

“I feel like I can keep close enough with guys that are bigger or longer to make it hard for them to get shots off, and I also have a long wingspan that I try to use to the best of my ability,” said DJO. “And I’m going to keep getting better.”

Johnson-Odom has three more games to build upon what he’s started in Vegas, and with perimeter defense standing out as a need for the senior squad, he’s off on the right foot.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:02 pm

It's a good thing he does play defense, because so far he's a shooter that can't shoot while Glock is a shooter that can, but can't defend his own shadow.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:21 pm

magic2kb8 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:He's got potential. You can see that he plays with confidence and within himself. Penetrates kinda but without speed...more by playing smart if you get what I mean. Shot fakes are awesome. And free throws are swishes every time. His shot wasn't falling but I can see it to start eventually and he'll be balling..

lloyd banks with kanyes jaw

Nailed it.
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Hope DJO makes the team. I'm sure Ron-Ron would love to take him under his wing and help his defense get even better. We could use a guy like DJO to come in and just play defense to hold a lead that the starters made. Don't expect him to be amazing offensively but just make an open 3 and guard the best guard on the floor just to give Kobe/Nash enough rest without creating a huge deficit like last seasons 2nd unit
Ariza3

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Undersized Bruce Bowen. Play D and spot up for 3's. That'd be great. Not impressed so far though...
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:03 pm

He's been a big dissapointment so far. :man5:
Texas Lakers Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion