Darius Johnson Odom Discussion: Waived

Re: Welcome to the Lakers Darius Johnson Odom

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 pm

Darius, Glock, DJO. All pretty much equally bad in the summer league. The stats confirm how bad they were. Just not a confidence booster with those number in the summer league, and that's our bench. :man6:

I actually think overall DJO > Glock >Darius.
If pure scoring Glock > DJO > Darius.
If PG passing Darius > DJO > Glock.

So yeah, they even at their strength, they are not at NBA level. So that tells you about their weaknesses.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Fulzgold on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

In fairness, DJO looked a lot more comfortable and played OK toward the end after a horrendous start. G-Lock was a pretty big disappointment though imo. Darius looks like he has some size and skill but no PG instincts, as well as very weird form on his shot, which rarely goes in.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby XXIV on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 pm

I believe preseason will reveal more about their games to us than summer league. During preseason they will have the Lakers regular starters drawing attention and will have more open looks to solidify their standing as good shooters.
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
Lakers have signed Darius Johnson-Odom
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Nash / Blake / Duhon / Morris
Kobe / Meeks / DJO / Glock
MWP / Ebanks / Nelson
Pau / Jamison / Clark
D12 / Hill / Sacre / Somogyi
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm assuming it's a non guaranteed contract for camp?
XXIV

Postby dj vitus on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:43 pm

What's the roster limit before pre-season? 15? I'm assuming he'll be gone as well as Somogyi and Reeves.

Hopefully we'll be healthy enough so Morris, Glock, and Sacre can get D-League burn, but I have a feeling they'll just rot on the bench most of the year.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:30 pm

The Lakers signed second-round draft pick Darius Johnson-Odom to a non-guaranteed contract and extended an invitation to training camp.

“They’re a little guard heavy so he has to play really well to make the team,” said Lance Young, Johnson-Odom’s agent.

The Lakers were high enough on Johnson-Odom to pay the Dallas Mavericks about $500,000 so they could move up and select the shooting guard from Marquette with the 55th pick in the draft. But Johnson-Odom struggled with his shooting touch in summer league games and the Lakers signed Jodie Meeks to become their primary backup shooting guard.

The 6-foot-2 Johnson-Odom averaged 3.8 points, 3.4 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 15.8 minutes during the summer league.

“He didn’t play how he would have liked,” Young said.

Young said he had expected Johnson-Odom to be an immediate contributor for the Lakers this season after he averaged 18.3 points during his senior season and earned first team All-Big East Conference honors.

Recent developments have complicated those hopes.

“After the Dwight Howard trade and signing Jodie Meeks, it made it a little bit tougher for him,” Young said. “The odds are stacked against him a little bit versus a few weeks ago.”
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:54 pm

I remember how excited I was watching this kid's tapes and seeing what he's capable of athletically. He's a nice young guy and if it's a choice between him or Goudelock, I want him on the team. Unfortunately I just don't know how much he can do to get a spot here.

And if we sign Barbosa he's obviously not going to make the team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:42 pm

He was horrible in the summer league. Last chance to prove himself.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:56 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:He was horrible in the summer league. Last chance to prove himself.

I was a big fan of him when we drafted him and everything I read/saw from him. But you're totally correct, if he doesn't bring it during training camp or distinguish himself from the others I'd have not problem with cutting him.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:17 am

the only reason is bc brown likes his defense compared to morris and glocks. i think glock and djo are gunna have to fight it out for that spot. i like djo bc hes way more athletic and stronger as well as a better defender. but i like glock's ability to score. hes a scorer with the 3 or floater which weve actually seen work for him at the nba level. we have yet to see djo at the nba level.

for now glock has the advantage in my books bc when given minutes he actually produced for us. unfortunately he was burried on the bench after doing everything right when called upon. i think glock would be better for us. but djo and him are gunna have to go at it to prove which is better.

defense = djo
offense = glock

and those are not that great to begin with compared to other rookies in the league but still...
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:34 am

Ariza3 wrote:the only reason is bc brown likes his defense compared to morris and glocks. i think glock and djo are gunna have to fight it out for that spot. i like djo bc hes way more athletic and stronger as well as a better defender. but i like glock's ability to score. hes a scorer with the 3 or floater which weve actually seen work for him at the nba level. we have yet to see djo at the nba level.

for now glock has the advantage in my books bc when given minutes he actually produced for us. unfortunately he was burried on the bench after doing everything right when called upon. i think glock would be better for us. but djo and him are gunna have to go at it to prove which is better.

defense = djo
offense = glock

and those are not that great to begin with compared to other rookies in the league but still...

Very good assessment, and I agree that I'd give Glock the advantage for sure right now.
Battle Tested20

Postby ben_ready on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:08 am

I'd go with Morris he played better yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby therealdeal on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 am

Interesting little debate here. Of the young guards we've got, who should we keep and who should we let go of? Morris, Goudelock, and/or Johnson-Odom?

I think I'd hold onto Odom and Morris. Guards come a dime a dozen and while I like Goudelock and think he's got some potential, I don't see him being an NBA guard. Odom is a very good defender and while his offense looked awful in the Summer League, I believe he can hit an open three when he's surrounded by talent. Morris looked okay during the Summer League, you could see flashes of something there. He's also got a big body for a guard and maybe Nash can turn him into a more effective player. I'm not into Goudelock really who can only do one thing, score. He's undersized and a terrible defender.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:36 am

I'd cut ties with Glock as well. Keep Morris and DJO.

I think we have enough young guys right now in Morris / DJO / Meeks / Ebanks / Clark / Hill that we can develop along the way, some faster than others (Ebanks).

Cut ties with Sacre/Glock and bring another vet like Pietrus/Barbosa/Martin/TMac into the fold.
Doc Brown

Postby ben_ready on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Morris and djo for the win, tho I would have djo on the defenders for a while.
I think if he soaks up game from nash Morris is going to surprise, can't teach heart yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby revgen on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

DJO showed some nice moves in the summer league. Unfortunately they all were "nickel-finishes" as Stu likes to say. He's a bit undersized defensively, but at least he has a strong body. I don't see him making the team, but you never know.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:00 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing this at the end of games when we are blowing people out.
Doc Brown

Postby Kit on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Would be nice if he jumps as high as Shannon. I like this guy.
Kit

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Hollinger's analysis said this guy wasn't a leaper. :man10:

DJO is a terrific athlete and defender, but his offense is extremely limited. He's a good shooter, but he gets no elevation on his shot so he has a tough time against NBA level athletes that can challenge his shot. I think with a great team around him and a wide open look his 3 ball would fall more often, but he can't create for himself very well at the NBA level. I'd say his offense looks a lot like James Harden, but he's a lot smaller than James.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:15 pm

LAL Scrimmage Notes: 9/21/12

- Darius Johnson-Odom was described by one coach as “bouncy,” and you’ll agree when watching video of the scrimmage. The rookie was flying all over the court, even treating us to a version of J.R. Rider’s “Eastbay Funk” afterwards. DJO is the type of player that plays better when those around him are better (Las Vegas Summer League wasn’t his type of atmosphere), and his defense and athleticism stood out in the run.

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/09/21/lal-scrimmage-notes-92112/
Battle Tested20

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:21 pm

DJO?
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 am

Doc Brown wrote:Image

John Hollinger wrote:Scouting report
+ Long-armed, lefty wing with deep shooting range. Strong, energetic defender.
+ Undersized for a 2 but lacks ball skills for a 1. Not a great finisher or leaper.

Keep looking at those stat sheets and not the games, John.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Basketball
Eric Pincus
+ Follow
I've written this before - I'm fond of Goudelock who is a great, great young man - but I think the Lakers . . .
need what Darius Johnson-Odom brings to the table more. Goudelock is not a point guard and he's not big/strong/athletic enough to really guard the two. The Lakers have four point guards so there are absolutely no minutes for Goudelock to experiment at PG and he didn't fare well there in Summer League. DJO has the potential athleticism to guard the two & that to me is the difference. 3 minutes ago

I agree with this. If DJO brings the offense to match Glock, Glock will be packing his bags.
Doc Brown

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm

last stand wrote:Image

DJO?

When I first saw DJO, the first thing that came up in my mind is that he looked like Lurch from the Addams Family.

Kobe8Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion