Darius Johnson Odom Discussion: Waived

Re: Welcome to the Lakers Darius Johnson Odom

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:55 am

He has been below average so far

I really don't know if he can defend Rose or Westbrook, I don't even like the idea...I know almost nobody can but to defend those guys, it takes all that Johnson-Odom has (athleticism and strength) + more experience + more talent + more basketball IQ + more size + gritt.

He does have some tools to be a defender but I'm getting tired of one trick ponies from late second round. I would have rather had Brandon Roy with shot knees or CJ Watson or or or...

the Lakers need veteran TALENT and proven shooting. Not sure these 2nd round scrubs provide anything beyond "well he is athletic or well he is supposed to be a good shooter or well he is still young"...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby diehard on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 am

Give the guy a chance man. He's played in 2 summer league games. I don't know about you, but whenever I've started a new job I'm not on top of my game within a week.
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:04 am

Metta Troll :man10:
khmrP

Postby borri on Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:24 am

Eh....this kid a second rounder for a reason. More often that not, 2nd rounders just don't make it in the NBA. It is what it is. I have zero expectations for this kid.
borri

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm

diehard wrote:Give the guy a chance man. He's played in 2 summer league games. I don't know about you, but whenever I've started a new job I'm not on top of my game within a week.

see, thats exactly the fundamental difference between my and your thinking.

For Kobe's and Nash's last few seasons (maybe only 2 seasons), I'm not ready to take a chance on late second rounders to become regular NBA players within their rookie campaign. And I'm not too interested in what he can do in 5 years...we need help...now.

I want proven talent, now. We cannot afford to give these guys a chance when there is 90+% chance of failure.
I know we have our work cut out for us with our hands tied...but we still could have done more than this and I think we still have work to do.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm

I would give those 2nd rounder players a chance if we were the Bobcats... Our team is getting older and we desperately need some proven players and not some projects...

Kobe is already admitting that he may have only 3 years left on his tank...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Thenextgreat on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:17 pm

dude is garbage...so is the whole summer league team...they getting blasted again :man10:
Thenextgreat

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Our Summer League team are comprised of waivable guys :man5:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 pm

I think that whole summer league roster needs to go. Why did they even sign Darius Morris?
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby XXIV on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm

PiNOYLaKERSFaN wrote:I think that whole summer league roster needs to go. Why did they even sign Darius Morris?

No idea why, they really jumped the gun on that one. Ownership is probably fixed on him becoming the next Magic just because he's a tall PG.
XXIV

Postby diehard on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 am

People on here are funny.

"We need youth and athleticism!" How many times have I heard that one.

Then when we get it. "We need proven vets!"

Then we get Steve Nash. "Not that much of a vet!" "What the hell are they doing!"

Not to mention, no one on our summer league team is supposed to be an impact player. They are supposed to be complimentary players. You're not going to look so good as a complimentary player when you're complimenting people who will never make the NBA.

Let's wait and see what they do in the role they are expected to play, next to guys who will make the game easier for them to play.

"Mike Brown sucks!" "Why can't we be like the Spurs and play our rookies!" (ex. Kawhi Leonard)

:bang:
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:12 pm

If he can keep up with Glock in the shooting department in training camp, he will beat Glock out for his spot. More athletic, better defender, body is built like a tank which is a huge for an undersized guard.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:03 am

He needs to go to Europe hopefully the Spanish or Italian league
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 am

Doc Brown wrote:If he can keep up with Glock in the shooting department in training camp, he will beat Glock out for his spot. More athletic, better defender, body is built like a tank which is a huge for an undersized guard.

They wouldn't have bought him if they didn't want to keep him, especially the way the Lakers are financially right now. I'm sure he's Goudelock's replacement and I like it to be honest. He's a ridiculous athlete and seems to be a tenacious defender. He's not going to be a rotation player hopefully, but he'd be a good guy to have on the bench.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 am

therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:If he can keep up with Glock in the shooting department in training camp, he will beat Glock out for his spot. More athletic, better defender, body is built like a tank which is a huge for an undersized guard.

They wouldn't have bought him if they didn't want to keep him, especially the way the Lakers are financially right now. I'm sure he's Goudelock's replacement and I like it to be honest. He's a ridiculous athlete and seems to be a tenacious defender. He's not going to be a rotation player hopefully, but he'd be a good guy to have on the bench.

didn't see any of that in DJO during summer league, he better show something in the pre-season.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

didn't see any of that in DJO during summer league, he better show something in the pre-season.

Two things: he's a rookie and he's a role player. Odom, if he makes it in the NBA, will always be a role player. When you stick a team full of role players and no one to create and/or space for them then they're going to be exploited by other teams. You have to take the Summer League with a grain of salt because none of our guys are established rotation players yet and may never be. Most other teams have rotation players on their teams and our guys are just trying to make the league. Are they bad? Yeah. But they look much worse in that setting.

Let's see Odom in a situation where he has others surrounding him that command attention. His athleticism is going to look a lot less impressive in the NBA because of his size. Nate Robinson hardly has opportunities to show off his athleticism because he doesn't have the size to jump over people in an NBA game for the most part. BUT Odom uses his athleticism on the defensive end and with someone like Bynum backing him, he may be able to slow down some of the quicker guards out there. With someone like Sacre backing him... well he looked less impressive.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:37 am

^^^thats what I was saying, I am giving him until at least pre-season, just noting I didn't see most of those attributes during the summer league. If he still doesn't shine playing with and against more NBA caliber players then he should be let go even though mgmt. did spend money to obtain his rights.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 am

khmrP wrote:^^^thats what I was saying, I am giving him until at least pre-season, just noting I didn't see most of those attributes during the summer league. If he still doesn't shine playing with and against more NBA caliber players then he should be let go even though mgmt. did spend money to obtain his rights.

Well unless he is significantly outperformed by Goudelock, I don't see him not making the team. He seems
to be a similar offensive player, but a much better defender.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:09 pm

This kid is very, very athletic.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:13 pm

therealdeal wrote:

This kid is very, very athletic.

HOLY CRAP. I kinda hope we keep him. he's athletic and seems like he has a nice shot too. Wow, those dunks were Steve Francis-esque.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:24 pm

He's built like the Ron Artest of undersized shooting guards.

He's a great athlete and he's got a nice stroke, but in the NBA he's going to have trouble getting that shot off. He doesn't get much height on his jumper and because he's short, he'll get blocked and challenged much more frequently in the NBA. I think if he can develop himself into a good catch and shoot type guy, he can find a niche in the league because of his athleticism and his defensive ability. He also needs to work on his point guard skills.

Cross matching would be a great tool for him since the Lakers want him to be able to defend PGs. He's not a PG, but if he were in the game with a PG that COULD defend 2s while he defends the opposing PG, he'd be in great shape.

He needs a lot of work, but I think he'll find a spot here. If Darius Morris ever settles down and gets himself headed in the right direction, he'd be a great fit next to DJO. I know that sounds weird because Morris is so far from NBA ready right now, but he's a good fit because he's a legit 6'4" and DJO will need a PG with that kind of size to cover for him. No way he can really handle guys like Harden who are much bigger than him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm

he was pretty horrible against semi-nba talent in the summer league though

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Like I said, he'll need the attention of other options. If he can hit shots as a spot up shooter on drive and kicks he can be effective.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 pm

hes glock but with athleticism and defense. he'll def take his spot...sad bc i loved glock but if DJO can hit the 3 lke glock did Mike Brown will choose him over Glock bc of defense.
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion