Darius Johnson Odom Discussion: Waived

Re: Welcome to the Lakers Darius Johnson Odom

Postby khmrP on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 am

KB24 wrote:Are we drafting Andrew Kobe Bryant-Worthy next NBA draft? Lol

Anyways...pass...

Late 2nd founders have an overwhelming tendency to become scrubs.

There is a 0.000001 chance he is the next Ellis, Arenas, Redd or Ginobili.

BTW I don't know the guy well. Just going by logic.

give it a chance man, look at the Kings and Isiah Thomas pick (last pick of 2011 draft).....dude is what 5'9" and he's a baller.
khmrP

Postby Sideways on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 am

CarFlagChris wrote:
purp n gold wrote:I had no idea we acquired DJO. Unlike most players in the draft I actually remember him playing at Marquette. I thought he was just a hustle guy for that team. But seeing how he tested well in the combine (best in class?!), his athleticism just might be NBA level. If it is, he can be a VERY useful for us.

For a backup, he doesn't need to run an offense. Hustle + creating his shot + defense is plenty. But bottom line we need athletes who can deal with the likes of OKC and Miami... that's just the direction the NBA is going in.

The Lakers need athleticism and let's not expect too much from a rookie, much less a 2nd rounder.

It doesn't matter what pick he was, it doesn't take an expert to see that he is athletic as hell, 41 inch vertical, his downside is his inability to play PG, he is an undersized SG. Luckily he's a decent outside shooter and that's what we're looking for.

But what stands out the most about him is his hustle and the defense, neither Sessions nor Blake can defend the opposing guards, this kid can do it.

No one's expecting him to be the next Wade or Monta Ellis, but he has the potential to be a solid role player.
Sideways

Postby Sideways on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 am

CarFlagChris wrote:
purp n gold wrote:I had no idea we acquired DJO. Unlike most players in the draft I actually remember him playing at Marquette. I thought he was just a hustle guy for that team. But seeing how he tested well in the combine (best in class?!), his athleticism just might be NBA level. If it is, he can be a VERY useful for us.

For a backup, he doesn't need to run an offense. Hustle + creating his shot + defense is plenty. But bottom line we need athletes who can deal with the likes of OKC and Miami... that's just the direction the NBA is going in.

The Lakers need athleticism and let's not expect too much from a rookie, much less a 2nd rounder.

It doesn't matter what pick he was, it doesn't take an expert to see that he is athletic as hell, 41 inch vertical, his downside is his inability to play PG, he is an undersized SG. Luckily he's a decent outside shooter and that's what we're looking for.

But what stands out the most about him is his hustle and the defense, neither Sessions nor Blake can defend the opposing guards, this kid can do it.

No one's expecting him to be the next Wade or Monta Ellis, but he has the potential to be a solid role player.
Sideways

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:20 am

Weezy wrote:This is pretty cool though, haven't seen it posted here, sorry if it was, saw it over at LG

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7309825

He's faster than I thought, does have very good body control in the air.

Thanks for the clip Weezy. Didn't really have from earlier clips posted, but starting to get the sense that he's pretty fast and can be explosive.

That said....LMAO with all the pseudo scientific measurements and timings for moves he's making and the announcer jocking him like he's his uncle. Reminded me exactly of 2 years ago right after Boston eliminated Cleveland and like the next night ESPN was still slurping all over LBJ with that ridiculous special "scientifically" analyzing the force of his dunk. :man10: :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby revgen on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:20 am

Looking at the mixtapes, he looks like a Shannon Brown with better handles and better finishing ability in traffic.

I see him at best being a bench player.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby vic5150 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

ben_ready wrote:A.i was to small to play the 2
Charles Barkley was to small to play the 4
Magic was to big to be a pg
Will people shut the f up and let it play out yell™

I'm waiting for you to list a undersized second rounder without hall-of-fame talent to make it in the NBA. I'll even give you a marginal player to start, Nate Robinson.
Black Dynamite: "I'm declaring war on anyone who sells drugs in the community!"
Chocolate Giddy-Up: "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs in the community!"
vic5150

Postby khmrP on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:31 am

vic5150 wrote:
ben_ready wrote:A.i was to small to play the 2
Charles Barkley was to small to play the 4
Magic was to big to be a pg
Will people shut the f up and let it play out yell™

I'm waiting for you to list a undersized second rounder without hall-of-fame talent to make it in the NBA. I'll even give you a marginal player to start, Nate Robinson.

Nate was a 1st rder actually.....looked up Spudd Webb, he was 87th pick overall, he had a decent career. Early Boykins seems to find teams year in and year out and he's 5 6'
khmrP

Re: Darius Earvin Johnson-Odom

Postby JUST-MING on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:38 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:Rated “Best Athlete” of the 2012 Draft Class:
DraftExpress wrote:-- Johnson-Odom’s 41.5 inch maximum vertical leap is a top-20 mark all time in our database, and across the board, Johnson-Odom excelled in each and every drill, not ranking below the ‘mean’ in any test administered in Chicago. For that reason, he finished as the top player in our composited rankings, which takes all of his finishes at the combine into account.

Doesn’t mean a damn thing if he can’t do it with a basketball in his hands.
Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
JUST-MING

Postby jlkr on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:41 am

JUST-MING wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:Rated “Best Athlete” of the 2012 Draft Class:
DraftExpress wrote:-- Johnson-Odom’s 41.5 inch maximum vertical leap is a top-20 mark all time in our database, and across the board, Johnson-Odom excelled in each and every drill, not ranking below the ‘mean’ in any test administered in Chicago. For that reason, he finished as the top player in our composited rankings, which takes all of his finishes at the combine into account.

Doesn’t mean a damn thing if he can’t do it with a basketball in his hands.

Best Athlete of the class and yet 54 players get drafted before him? That says a lot about his skills...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby MC on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:43 am

^
what were you 2 expecting? it's a second round pick lol...... of course there is questions about the guys overall game, if there wasn't the Lakers wouldn't be in position to draft him in the first place. The answer for the Lakers never existed in this years draft.
Last edited by MC on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby JUST-MING on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:43 am

jlkr wrote:Best Athlete of the class and yet 54 players get drafted before him? That says a lot about his skills...

Exactly. This isn’t track and field. This is basketball.
JUST-MING

Postby khmrP on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:46 am

JUST-MING wrote:
jlkr wrote:Best Athlete of the class and yet 54 players get drafted before him? That says a lot about his skills...

Exactly. This isn’t track and field. This is basketball.

and we drafted Crittendon in the 1st rd and he's not even in the league anymore, while our 2 other 2nd rders Turiaf/Marc are still around....you guys arguing for what purpose? Nobody is expecting much from this guy but the way people arguing here makes its seem as if its dumbest pick ever or something :man3:
khmrP

Postby KB24 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:30 am

khmrP wrote:
KB24 wrote:Are we drafting Andrew Kobe Bryant-Worthy next NBA draft? Lol

Anyways...pass...

Late 2nd founders have an overwhelming tendency to become scrubs.

There is a 0.000001 chance he is the next Ellis, Arenas, Redd or Ginobili.

BTW I don't know the guy well. Just going by logic.

give it a chance man, look at the Kings and Isiah Thomas pick (last pick of 2011 draft).....dude is what 5'9" and he's a baller.

I didn't mean his size at all. Either you can ball or you cannot. Can he ball? we will soon find out.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 am

^ I don't say it often but I'm with khmrp on this one.

I'm willing to give this kid a look because most of the character things I've seen and read are great signs. What's also great is that the weaknesses he's been described of are fixable. He plays with his head down, that's alright, that can be fixed through teaching and coaching and hard work.

He's got a great shooting touch and his athleticism is really off the charts. I'd like to see him in summer league, I think he's got the talent to make this team.

I don't know if he will, but I'm at least intrigued by the kid.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring, he's a shooter like Goudelock but is also very athletic. Should be fun watching him during the summer league, and I can imagine him and Goudelock going at it during training camp. Great pick for #55 IMO.
XXIV

Postby Weezy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:56 am

I can't see him not making the team, I don't think we'd have bothered to trade for the pick, paying Dallas for the pick we gave them, if we didn't intend to keep him. He looks like an NBA player to me, whether or not he gets off the bench I don't know, but he does look like he belongs based on athleticism and shooting ability. I would think being a 4 year college player like Glock also helps him some.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:58 am

I honestly don't think Goudelock could beat him only because Odom seems to be a far greater athlete and a more tenacious defender.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am

obviously nobody knows how he will play, but I like his attitude and his understanding of how he can fit in
Center Court

Postby Fulzgold on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:01 am

His game reminds me more of Fish than Harden. Limited playmaking instincts but a solid lefty stroke and built like a brick house. Funny how a guy with a 41 inch vertical basically shoots a set shot.

We need shooters who can defend. Maybe he can foot the bill.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 am

^ One player I did not even remotely think about when watching his game was Derek Fisher.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:14 am

I think maybe Blake is gone per what's to come and they are loading up on prospective guard contributors. Shooting and athleticism. Keep Glock and he will have improved. Lights out shooter and D should be better especially on smaller guards.

DJO gives shooting as well plus 3 years with an aggressive attitude at a major university for big stage experience. With his young Fish/Ron -like physique, hops & speed plus good D reputation and mindset.....he addresses Glocks weakness and during the game match ups can be addressed. (oh wait.....:bang: arrrrggghhh .....forgot who's coaching :bang: :bang: ). And he brings back as others have said some of the explosiveness we had with Shannon. And Farmar.

And this is make or break/gonzo time for Morris.....what has he improved by the time he gets to camp?

Plus their options at the 1 they are targeting with a strategic move or re-signing Ramon. Maybe.
LTLakerFan

Postby Center Court on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am

he definitely passes the eye test... reminds me of a cross between Lawson and D Wade. Let's see if he can get a roster spot at all. My guess is that he'll replace Morris as a third PG seeing as his skill set isn't ball dominant.
Center Court

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:39 am

I know why we drafted a Glock clone... because MB really, really, really dislikes Glock!
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Blahdeh Deebatz on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:43 am

I didn't pay attention to the draft at all this year. I came onto CL and thought that CL was welcoming Lamar Odom's newborn baby into the world.
Blahdeh Deebatz

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 am

He looks like a 32bit Corliss Williamson.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion