Darius Morris Discussion

Re: Darius Morris signs QO to stay a Laker - pg 4

Postby KB24 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:38 am

we need a scorer from the wing now....badly. Nobody from the bench gives consistent scoring whatsoever...nobody.

Glock could provide a spark off the bench.

Beside that no 3/4 with anything.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby purp n gold on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:54 am

If Morris wants to take this "true PG" thing seriously he can learn a thing or two from Steve
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:23 am

purp n gold wrote:If Morris wants to take this "true PG" thing seriously he can learn a thing or two from Steve

This was probably the second thing I thought of when the Nash story broke. Could there be a better teacher to make a guy like Morris realize any potential he has? I don't think he has anything near Nash's vision, but Nash can certainly help him slow the game down and make the right decisions.

We may not pick up another PG now. If we don't, Morris is going to have to put in some serious work here. If I remember correctly he did some good things defensively. Now is his chance to shine.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:20 pm

^ Would definitely be a great learning experience for Morris. He needs to learn how to control the tempo and make the correct pass, even if it's not flashy.
XXIV

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Okay I take back everything I said about this guy. The dude doesn't belong in the NBA. He seems to dribble nicely, but he has no clue what he's doing out there. We can get someone way better with the vet minimum.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Like I've mentioned in the SL thread, I don't know why the Lakers offered him the QO especially before he even played a SL game. Waste of a roster spot IMO.
Last edited by XXIV on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XXIV

Postby kray28 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Yeah, I don't know why the Lakers signed him again. At the very least, I expected him to look better in Summer League than he did in the Regular Season. He's not NBA caliber, and I'm not sure he ever will be.
kray28

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:56 pm

I've been saying he has potential I'm not ready to give up on yet, but he looks freakin bad against summer league competition. Why the heck would we give him another one year deal before he even played in the summer league? I'm thinking we should have let him walk.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Weezy wrote:I've been saying he has potential I'm not ready to give up on yet, but he looks freakin bad against summer league competition. Why the heck would we give him another one year deal before he even played in the summer league? I'm thinking we should have let him walk.

The only time you see potential is on the fast break. Unfortunately for him, the Lakers are more of a half court team and he won't get the PT needed to develop.
XXIV

Postby Uncle_Drew on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:01 pm

do we have the worst PG depth in the League?

Blake and Morris :freak2:
Uncle_Drew

Postby ben_ready on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 pm

Uncle_Drew wrote:do we have the worst PG depth in the League?

Blake and Morris :freak2:

Yes,but all we need to do is replace blake with a capable back up, Morris is cheap as a third point yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:15 pm

XXIV wrote:
Weezy wrote:I've been saying he has potential I'm not ready to give up on yet, but he looks freakin bad against summer league competition. Why the heck would we give him another one year deal before he even played in the summer league? I'm thinking we should have let him walk.

The only time you see potential is on the fast break. Unfortunately for him, the Lakers are more of a half court team and he won't get the PT needed to develop.

Ideally our team runs the fast break off the bench and gets moving for some easy buckets. The problems are still many though:

1. To initiate a fast break you must play good defense. Our bench doesn't really do that.
2. To initiate a fast break you must be able to rebound effectively. We don't really do that either.
3. Morris isn't going to get ANY playing time here because he sucks and because even Blake is much, much better.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 pm

After watching Morris play tonight, no way can we amnesty Blake. Any way we can rescind that offer? Dude is terrible.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:54 am

SL Team was discombobulated. Hard to judge individual players after that mess, but he sure seemed to...
a. suck
b. think it was pretty funny
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby borri on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:52 am

Oh boy.....brain fart by Mitch here?
borri

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:59 am

borri wrote:Oh boy.....brain fart by Mitch here?

No I'm guessing he's going to use him as a throw in for any major trades... Dwight Howard type deals need pieces to make it work.

Not to mention he may suck but he's a third string PG who's young with some potential. It may sound weird, but it could be worse.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Uncle_Drew on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:10 pm

who was better odom or morris... both guys need to step it up
Uncle_Drew

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Didn't watch the game last night, but just judging from what I saw during the season from him, I'd be afraid to let him play on my YMCA team.
Pig Miller

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Uncle_Drew wrote:who was better odom or morris... both guys need to step it up

Morris looks horrendous again. DJO looks not good. So DJO is looking "better" I guess.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Uncle_Drew on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Morris played better in the 2nd hald.. Jimmer sure does suck...

I think Sacre will be a quality big in this game..

Eyenga is a project... Glock was cold... Odom hasn't done much yet
Uncle_Drew

Postby jimbo327 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Morris looked horrible and slow. He couldn't beat his man off the dribble, and he was forced to spin when he was cut off. This means he cannot create for anyone because he is not breaking his man down. Morris played better in the 2nd half, but it was all garbage points. He never really broke down his man, or created for anyone else. He just made a few lucky layups, and an open 3. Rest were just garbage. I'll trade Morris for Jimmer. :man10:

Yeah, you can tell Jimmer lost his confidence. Someone needs to tell Jimmer that he needs to play at different speeds. He keeps trying to set up his 3, and he catches the ball like 5 feet behind the 3pt line. Jimmer needs to attack the basket and draw some fouls with his pump fakes. Then when guys are on their heels a little bit, then he can pull up for his jumper. Right now, Jimmer is just dancing around, and try to shoot his 3. It ain't going to work at this level because everyone is long and super athletic. Once he starts to drive HARD, then he will see more space. But good thing, no one in Sacramento has any idea how to coach up Jimmer, and you see him getting the ball 5 feet behind the 3pt line, then dance side to side for about 5 seconds...and he chucks up a contested shot or just pass the ball to the next guy...repeat and repeat.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby scissors on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm just hoping it was an off night for him. :bang:
scissors

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:35 pm

I wouldn't necessarily judge Morris by the SL. That team has very little talent so a PG trying to run an offense may look bad at times. Very few picks. No real offense scheme. Glock chucking. I am not sure what to make of it. I thought Morris tried to run the offense as best as he can with that line up but I am not even sure Nash could make it happen.

I will say of the three Morris, Glock & DJO maybe 1 stays around. I think they are looking at Morris as a project. He has PG talent but still has a lot to learn. Glock I know he played well but he really is a a short SG which doesn't work well in the NBA. DJO has the better body of the three but I haven't seen much out of him.

Hopefully Mitch finds some bench players elsewhere.
cthroatgtr

Postby John3:16 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I never thought he could play. Hopefully his passing and defense develop, because I don't think he'll ever have a decent jumper.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm

I remember a guy here (some former coach or whatever) saying that Morris will be a stud :man9: Most of us told him he was being delusional but dude never changed his tune. Looks like we were right :man10:
kenzo

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion