Darius Morris Discussion

Re: Darius Morris signs QO to stay a Laker - pg 4

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 pm

^^^ Morris can get to the rim? News to me.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Doc Brown wrote:^^^ Morris can get to the rim? News to me.

Am pretty sure he did twice against the Clippers?! One time was a high, floating teardrop over defenders and off the glass and was almost highlight worthy....
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:23 pm

yea haven't you seen him? he gets there and then flails out of control like a cat on acid
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Biz on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Wasn't impressed with this kid last year, still not impressed. I'd rather him be shipped out for peanuts. Duhon seems to be light years ahead of him.
Biz

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 pm

darius morris has got to have some kind of dirt against the lakers. james worthy saying he thinks this guy is the future? mike brown playing him over better players? giving him a guaranteed contract when he didnt deserve it?
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:27 pm

therealdeal wrote:
kobe_mamba wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Well that's because he was awful in Orlando after being pretty good in Chicago. He was, I think, the worst PG in the league statistically last season.

He's got a lot to prove and tonight I think was a nice little step.

This is what I mean though - Duhon CAN play - but he just hasn't been in a situation where he can really be at his best for a couple of years. But the dude can play and make plays for others.

I mean it's hard to say how much he can play. I think what we saw tonight is just a product of being in the league a long time and playing against some awful competition.

But with that said, he out performed Morris in the same exact situation. He actually ran the offense and made the passes/plays he needed to. There's no excuse to play Morris over him. None at all.

I agree with the point that Duhon may not play that much on this team, especially (obviously) with Nash healthy, but I think its good to have him there as insurance at the very least - and his experience will be important during the grind of the season.

Youth, energy and the chance for Morris to develop a little are a few of reasons to play Morris. He is very raw at running the offense right now, and does look to score himself a little too much right now - but he does add a spark off the bench and will hopefully develop
kobe_mamba

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Morris cannot playmake....PERIOD. He just can't! I would love to give young players a chance, but on this team he doesn't fit any need that we have...which is having a backup PG that can control the tempo and hold on to the lead. Duhon is a vet and not a burner...which is exactly what you need. Ideally, the starters get us a lead and the bench needs to slow the game down to reduce possessions by the other team. Just maintain the lead and you don't need to increase the tempo. Duhon can do that and Blake can do that when Nash gets back. Morris cannot. He doesn't fit and needs to be on the block come December (when we can trade him).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 pm

geez guys, some of you are really making Morris out to be a scapegoat on this team....and what has he possibly done to deserve that?! and what need is there for a scapegoat right now anway?? wow... :bang:
kobe_mamba

Postby kray28 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:32 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:geez guys, some of you are really making Morris out to be a scapegoat on this team....and what has he possibly done to deserve that?! and what need is there for a scapegoat right now anway?? wow... :bang:

Other than suck out loud, he hasn't done much. He's a point guard who can't dribble, pass, or make plays.
kray28

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:33 pm

kray28 wrote:
kobe_mamba wrote:geez guys, some of you are really making Morris out to be a scapegoat on this team....and what has he possibly done to deserve that?! and what need is there for a scapegoat right now anway?? wow... :bang:

Other than suck out loud, he hasn't done much. He's a point guard who can't dribble, pass, or make plays.

So I'm in the minority RE: Morris....hell I can live with that....
kobe_mamba

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:35 pm

^^^We just explained it to you bro: He doesn't fit. If he was a natural playmaker and threw away the ball from time to time...that's just growing pains. But he doesn't have that in him. He telegraphs nearly every pass. If you're in a motion offense and need to minimize on your TOs, then this guy can't be on the perimeter trying to set it up. That's just trouble waiting to happen. He's undersized for a SG and not a playmaker for a PG.

But the nail in the coffin is the guy can't play D...if Mike Brown wants length then go get Livingston.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:I agree with the point that Duhon may not play that much on this team, especially (obviously) with Nash healthy, but I think its good to have him there as insurance at the very least - and his experience will be important during the grind of the season.

Youth, energy and the chance for Morris to develop a little are a few of reasons to play Morris. He is very raw at running the offense right now, and does look to score himself a little too much right now - but he does add a spark off the bench and will hopefully develop

I think Duhon is alright as a 3rd string PG, but he's been shaky in his effectiveness. He's definitely better than Morris though and he might be as good as most team's 3rd string PGs. He's fine for now.

Morris sucks, he doesn't need time to develop, he just sucks. Youth doesn't always translate to a spark. Duhon can provide the spark that Morris's energy does by playing better and getting the bench going.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Hopefully he will get hurt so Duhon can be the backup ... 1 month of Morris ? Yikes
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 pm

I actually think he might be the worst PG in the league.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:49 pm

he's no scapegoat. the kid just really sucks. it's nothing against him, he's just awful that's all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gill on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Duhon had a more productive 4 minutes than Morris. 3 assists in 4 minutes... Morris, 2 in 15. Duhon also ran the pick n roll :man4:
gill

Postby revgen on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 pm

If we're going to pick up West, we need to shed a guard off the roster. Morris' contract is the easiest to move due to his youth and the contract being cheaper. Of course we have to wait until December to do it, but it's a good time as any to show him off.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^We just explained it to you bro: He doesn't fit. If he was a natural playmaker and threw away the ball from time to time...that's just growing pains. But he doesn't have that in him. He telegraphs nearly every pass. If you're in a motion offense and need to minimize on your TOs, then this guy can't be on the perimeter trying to set it up. That's just trouble waiting to happen. He's undersized for a SG and not a playmaker for a PG.

But the nail in the coffin is the guy can't play D...if Mike Brown wants length then go get Livingston.

Well thanks bro.....but to be frank, I don't require you to explain it to me ok. I'm quite capable of forming my own opinions and am also quite happy going against the grain from time to time with those opinions

Also, in terms of his D, he was giving Eric Bledsoe fits against the Clippers, to the point where even the commentators were giving Morris wraps for his harassing, energetic D
kobe_mamba

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm

^^^Cool story bro
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^Cool story bro

even cooler comeback insult bro.....

but, hey, i'm debating with Mods right now, so i know how this is going to end up #cuttingmylosses
kobe_mamba

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 pm

:man3:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 pm

kobe_mamba wrote:

but, hey, i'm debating with Mods right now, so i know how this is going to end up #cuttingmylosses

Alright..my bad for that approach. Its just appalling to me that out of all the things to go against the grain on, its for Morris. But hey...at least you ain't trying to defend Brown. Cause unlike you, I would want you to explain your stance to me on that.

How about this? We have possibly a month to see the kid in action. We'll have a larger sample size by then and we can put more into whether he's a good fit for this roster or not.

So for now, that buys you a month before I ban you from the site. :man12:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
kobe_mamba wrote:

Alright..my bad for that approach. Its just appalling to me that out of all the things to go against the grain on, its for Morris. But hey...at least you ain't trying to defend Brown. Cause unlike you, I would want you to explain your stance to me on that.

How about this? We have possibly a month to see the kid in action. We'll have a larger sample size by then and we can put more into whether he's a good fit for this roster or not.

So for now, that buys you a month before I ban you from the site. :man12:

Thanks for that somewhat awkward excuse for an apology. I'll take it though, cheers. I go against the grain on plenty of things, just don't get the time to post much on here, but i read a lot of it. Also, I actually have just been defending MB to some degree in the MB Discussion thread and the Hero/Zero thread - just now. You can read there if you're interested in dissecting my reasoning ok??

Yep, that's fine. Ironically, much like some my thoughts on MB, the new offense, etc, let's give Morris till December, mid December to judge him - essentially until Nash is back, if he is indeed out for up to a month as has been suggested. That's fine, let's judge him then.

Also, although I actively note the winking emoticon gesture that accompanied your last throw-away line and am choosing to take it as a joke, that sort of throw-away line mentioning bans doesn't really bring much of a smirk to my face. I just don't see the need for it to be honest....
Last edited by kobe_mamba on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kobe_mamba

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:

yea haven't you seen him? he gets there and then flails out of control like a cat on acid

:man10: :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:40 pm

therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion