Darius Morris Discussion

Re: Darius Morris signs QO to stay a Laker - pg 4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:This kid is getting cut up. Hopefully he's enough reason to get rid of Duhon next year... that's pretty much my ceiling of expectation from him.

Fixed

Fixed back! I don't expect him to be that good.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Well I've said it before, but at least he's working hard. That's all you can really ask of one of your young guys trying to make the team, work as hard as they can, clearly he wants to make it so at least there's that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Darius Morris has improved his jumper over the summer, not to mention his physique, thanks to leading all Lakers in time spent at the team’s facility. His hard work looks to be paying off so far, with the test to come in training camp when he’s matched up against Nash or Blake.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Morris moving blake to Luke and ammo status sounds good to me,now let's cut duhon bring in the blur and let's go yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby revgen on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 pm

I don't want to sound like a dark cloud, but every player "improves their jumper" in the offseason. Shannon Brown improved his J back in 2010-2011 and it only lasted one month.

Hopefully Morris improves his J like Farmar did his 2nd year.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JSM on Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:42 am

Mark Medina of the LA Times wrote:Staring at an attentive audience, Lakers guard Darius Morris shared some insights and advice based on his journey.

Morris had just set foot at Lafayette Park over the weekend where the Lakers and Time Warner Cable Sportsnet hosted a basketball clinic for about 75 children from Heart of L.A., which provides after-school programs for disadvantaged youth. So Morris brought up his childhood in Los Angeles dreaming about playing for the hometown Lakers. He stressed how anyone can reach their goal through hard work. And Morris emphasized the need not to let any obstacles obstruct that pursuit.

As he enters his second season with the Lakers, Morris knows all too well how a limited role and a steep learning curve tested his zest for the daily grind. He only averaged 2.4 points in 8.9 minutes through 19 games his rookie season. Though he showed enough potential for the Lakers to provide a $962,000 qualifying offer to play at least one more season, Morris will join a bloated backcourt that features Steve Nash, Steve Blake and Chris Duhon. Even with the Lakers expecting Blake to miss at least three weeks because of a puncture wound in his left foot, it's unclear to what degree Morris will compete with Duhon for minutes as the team's backup point guard.

Yet, Morris has vowed not to worry about those variables. Instead, he maintains he's centering on strictly improving his own play.

"I focus on my game and I'm confident," Morris said in an interview with The Times. "Whenever it may be, I just have to be ready. During an 82-game season, chances are likely your name will be called at some point during the season. You have to be ready at all times. When it's called, take advantage of it."

Morris spoke those words before it became clear Blake would be sidelined after stepping on a spike strip over the weekend at a beach parking lot. But Morris offered plenty of detail on why he believes he's ready for such circumstances.

Laker assistant coaches have marveled how Morris reported to the team's practice facility nearly every day for informal offseason workouts. Morris worked endlessly with Lakers strength and conditioning coach Tim DiFrancesco to increase his weight from 195 pounds to 205 in hopes added muscle will make it easier to absorb contact as he drives into the lane. Morris pored over game films, studying elite point guards such as Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo and James Harden, and took detailed notes on how they run pick-and-roll sequences.

Morris led the Lakers' Summer League team in points (15.2) and assists (4.2). A recent informal workout showed he improved his shooting stroke. And Morris practiced the shooting guard position in hopes that could lead at least to some minutes at that backup spot.

"As of now, I still imagine I'd be playing point guard," Morris said. "But because of my size, I have an ability to play the off guard. In the new offense, both of the guards have to be able to do the same things. You really just have to make plays in the new offense. They haven't come and told me anything so I'm just going to keep doing what I've always done and play point guard."

Morris also had high hopes last season for a large role even though the second-round draft pick played behind a veteran unit, including Derek Fisher and Blake. That chance came when Blake suffered a rib injury. But Morris' seven-game stretch where he averaged 3.6 points on 40% shooting made the coaching staff feel he tried too hard in showcasing his athleticism and quickness instead of just running the offense.

It remains unclear if Morris will have an increased role during Blake's absence, or if he'll still have limited playing time. But one thing's clear: Morris said he learned not to try to treat playing time as a highlight tape.

"That comes with time and maturity in the game," Morris said. "Knowing a lot of times last year when I got thrown in for two minutes, I felt like I had to show everything that I could. In Summer League, I was able to get in a rhythm and get used to that feeling again. It let me know I don't have to hit a home run every play. Just let the game come to you. Just playing the game and getting more comfortable."

For now, though, Morris plans to keep the same mindset that he stressed to the children at the clinic about working hard to reach their goals. By staying a Laker at least for one more season, Morris' dream stays alive.

"When I re-signed, I knew I had to work as hard as I've ever done this next year and be ready for the upcoming season," Morris said. "It was a definite blessing."

Click the link to see a video of Morris practicing.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Rock on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 am

Will be interesting to see who makes the cut out of Glock/DJO/Morris.

It will probably be a 14 man roster

PGs Nash, Blake, Duhon
SGs Kobe, Meeks,
SFs Artest, Ebanks
PFs Gasol, Jamison, Clark
Cs Howard, Sacre, Hill

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:55 am

I've been down on this kid a lot after being excited about him when he was drafted.

It's interesting to hear the amount of work he's put in this off-season. Duhon and Blake are NOT good, so if he could be effective out there then terrific. He's a natural PG for sure and defensively he did well against Chris Paul in the pre-season, but he has a lot of work to do.

Good luck to him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:I've been down on this kid a lot after being excited about him when he was drafted.

It's interesting to hear the amount of work he's put in this off-season. Duhon and Blake are NOT good, so if he could be effective out there then terrific. He's a natural PG for sure and defensively he did well against Chris Paul in the pre-season, but he has a lot of work to do.

Good luck to him.

^this and he got stronger, I just envision him as sort of a Rondo type of guard for us yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby ben_ready on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Morris will be nash back up by Feb yell™
ben_ready

Postby therealdeal on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:44 pm

Whoa there, hold on a second. I never said any of that...

Darius still needs a LOT of development as a player before we can give him ANY kind of responsibility with this team. He has a LONG way to go before he's a 2nd string player on a bad team, let alone one on a Championship contender.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Looking good finishing in traffic: @dariusmorris4, who added muscle this summer & could get more early camp burn w/Blake's injury.
JSM

Postby MadMax on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:34 am

JSM wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Looking good finishing in traffic: @dariusmorris4, who added muscle this summer & could get more early camp burn w/Blake's injury.

This will give him a chance to make the cut...couldn't ask for a better opportunity for himself. Best make the most of it.
MadMax

Postby ben_ready on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:06 am

I'm sticking by him being second string by Feb, if we don't get the blur yell™
ben_ready

Postby XXIV on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 am

The Rock wrote:Will be interesting to see who makes the cut out of Glock/DJO/Morris.

It will probably be a 14 man roster

PGs Nash, Blake, Duhon
SGs Kobe, Meeks,
SFs Artest, Ebanks
PFs Gasol, Jamison, Clark
Cs Howard, Sacre, Hill

I believe Morris' contract is already guaranteed, so it's between DJO and Glock.
XXIV

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:36 pm

One thing that should really help our youngsters (Whomever we decide to keep of Morris, Goudelock, DJO and Sacre) is that whoever ends up with PT will have a seasoned vet or two or three beside him when said youngster takes to the court. The problem last year is that when Blake went down and Fisher was Fishing, we leaned heavily on Morris and Goudelock to create and initiate a non-existent offense. Ultimately if he wants to become a lead guard (whether it's as a starter or a backup), Darius Morris will need to learn how to run the show when he's on the floor, but at least he's guaranteed to have guys who aren't summer league scrubs, over-the-hill vets or dead a** tired starters playing beside him this year. This year we have an actual bench that will allow us to give our starters rest, and we have enough depth from 2-5 that we won't have to lean on our young 1s/combo guards to do everything for us out there when they take to the floor. IMO our youngsters aren't talented/developed enough to go out there and lead, but IMO they are talented (and seemingly hard working) enough to complement our big names.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 am

Morris , DJO and Sacre will make the roster .... G-lock is out.. Mitch probably will try to move one of our PG at the deadline ... 4 PGs isn't necessary
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:IMO our youngsters aren't talented/developed enough to go out there and lead, but IMO they are talented (and seemingly hard working) enough to complement our big names.

Agreed.

I think a guy like Morris has enough talent to develop into something if he plasters himself next to Steve Nash and takes as much from him as he can. Odom and Sacre seem like the kinds of guys that are perfect for small roles on great teams if they really focus and work hard in those areas.

I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys in training camp and the pre-season. They have shot.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Guess this is as close as he got to an official thread. Either way, here's a blurb from Mike Brown...

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register wrote:Second-year player Darius Morris and veteran Chris Duhon will be pushing Blake for the spot as training camp continues. Brown said Morris and Duhon will get an opportunity to better their chances in Saturday’s exhibition against Utah at Staples Center.

“Morris, he’s a young guy, and because he’s young guy who has size and there’s potential that we saw last year and this summer, he has a chance,” Brown said. “But he has to go hard. We’re not going to give it to him. If he earns it, that’s a good thing. If he doesn’t he wont play.”
JSM

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 pm

Metta WorldPeace‏@MettaWorldPeace

2nd unit beat us in practice... Devin and Darrius were amazing
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:00 am

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby borri on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:16 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:
Metta WorldPeace‏@MettaWorldPeace

2nd unit beat us in practice... Devin and Darrius were amazing

Sasha was amazing in practice too.........
borri

Postby WilliamHaven on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Darius never looks like he quite knows what he is doing on the court...or at the most isn't comfortable doing it. I'd rather have Duhon out there.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Who gives a flying rats arse who Nash's back up or who's on the bench. The Heat won a title with 3 stars and a pair of dull steak knifes. I was cracking up at all the horse crap about Miller being an awesome bench guy in Game 5 in the Finals because he was making all those shots. The guy sucked balls for 2 years until that game. Hell, Heat won with Bosh barely being healthy.

As long as our starters are good, Lakers are winning it all. Period. Doesnt matter if the entire bench falls in the Santa Monica Pier.
OX1947

Postby The Rock on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm

1 for 6 :man10:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion