Devin Ebanks Earning PT (Pine time...)

Re: Devin Ebanks Earning PT

Postby revgen on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 am

Ebanks consistency issues stem largely from a lack of identity. When he goes out there, it seems like he doesn't know who he is as a basketball player. Guys like Jordan Hill know that they are hustle players who score off offensive rebounds and bust their butt on D. Jodie Meeks knows that he's a knock-down shooter and a solid rotation defender. MWP knows that he's a bully on defense and offense. Using his strength and quick hands to be productive. Even Robert Sacre, a rookie, knows who he is when he goes out on the floor. Hedge on P&R, grab boards, take an occasional jump hook or open mid-range J. Devin doesn't seem to know who he is at all. Which makes sense if he's a rookie. The problem is that this is his 3rd year in the NBA.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:42 am

revgen wrote:Ebanks consistency issues stem largely from a lack of identity. When he goes out there, it seems like he doesn't know who he is as a basketball player. Guys like Jordan Hill know that they are hustle players who score off offensive rebounds and bust their butt on D. Jodie Meeks knows that he's a knock-down shooter and a solid rotation defender. MWP knows that he's a bully on defense and offense. Using his strength and quick hands to be productive. Even Robert Sacre, a rookie, knows who he is when he goes out on the floor. Hedge on P&R, grab boards, take an occasional jump hook or open mid-range J. Devin doesn't seem to know who he is at all. Which makes sense if he's a rookie. The problem is that this is his 3rd year in the NBA.

^^ Good points, but in his defense, the guy hasn't had any time to really develop. He got hurt that first season and wasn't going to see much time in Phil's rotation any way, but when he did get time he did all right. Last season Brown gave him the starting job and then yanked him not to be played again until months later. Then they've kept messing around with playing him at different positions like the 2 and now the 4.

They need to give the time some burn at backup 3 and see if he can develop there this year. But after the DUI I was in favor of cutting him or someone else and going after Pietrus as we didn't seem to have the luxury of player development while struggling to win games.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:17 pm

revgen wrote:Ebanks consistency issues stem largely from a lack of identity. When he goes out there, it seems like he doesn't know who he is as a basketball player. Guys like Jordan Hill know that they are hustle players who score off offensive rebounds and bust their butt on D. Jodie Meeks knows that he's a knock-down shooter and a solid rotation defender. MWP knows that he's a bully on defense and offense. Using his strength and quick hands to be productive. Even Robert Sacre, a rookie, knows who he is when he goes out on the floor. Hedge on P&R, grab boards, take an occasional jump hook or open mid-range J. Devin doesn't seem to know who he is at all. Which makes sense if he's a rookie. The problem is that this is his 3rd year in the NBA.

Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment. It explains his inconsistency.

Now, I'd ask ... do you think the coaching staff has adequately carved out a role for him? I mean, I don't even know exactly what his role is SUPPOSED to be. So not sure if I should blame him entirely for not having his role down since, I mean, is it that he is given a role but just doesn't know how to fill it, or, he hasn't really been given a role to fulfill. Or, maybe, in part, he hasn't seized an opportunity to CREATE his role for this team (which I believe Jordan Hill has, for instance).
JGC

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:15 pm

this guy is so useless
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby KB24 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:17 pm

ya Ebanks really needs to be let go...he has no business to start or even be on the court for a contender.

He is neither fast, nor athletic. Can't drive but can't shoot either. Can't dribble, pass, play in the post or defend.
There are already better players in the development league available.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Armani on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Consistency... he doesn't have it. Chances are he'll actually have a good game next now that he had a bad one.
Armani

Postby XXIV on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:38 pm

I would much rather have CDR on this team playing the backup 3.
XXIV

Postby Tragic on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 pm

he just isn't consistent. He'll hit like on corner three every four games or so
Tragic

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Didn't watch the whole game, but it seems like he was really not aggressive. Is that a pretty good assessment?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:Didn't watch the whole game, but it seems like he was really not aggressive. Is that a pretty good assessment?

he just isnt a good player
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Weezy on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:45 pm

I think revgen is right on when he says Ebanks lacks an identity. I never know what to expect from him. Every game is different, he'll hit a bunch of shots one game, then he'll be garbage the next, it's like he has no idea what he is consistently supposed to do out there, he's just... out there.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:47 pm

i think he knows hes gone either via trade or when his contract expires at the end of the year. just collecting his checks and making rap albums now.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:50 pm

lakers should just waive his butt and bring back cdr... that guy should of been on the team
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby The Rock on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 pm

here we go again, after playing so well and he throws in a zero game. He gives us some hope here and there and just looks bad the next time.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:38 pm

The Rock wrote:here we go again, after playing so well and he throws in a zero game. He gives us some hope here and there and just looks bad the next time.

He's basically a microcosm of this team!
JGC

Postby khmrP on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm

seems like all the bench guys are like that, Morris, Jamison....Meeks has his ugly games too from time to time.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 pm

I have officially turned on this kid. He did all the right things leading up to the season, but I haven't gotten half of what I wanted from him. Waive him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:15 pm

khmrP wrote:seems like all the bench guys are like that, Morris, Jamison....Meeks has his ugly games too from time to time.

Well to be fair that's exactly how most bench players are. If they were consistent they would probably be starters.

If you look at the second units around the league, I'm sure you'll find the same issues that we have with our second unit.
jOeyB7000

Postby abeer3 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:18 pm

yeah, i think the lakers need to stop trying to develop guys who don't show anything. keep a roster spot open for d-league standouts and released veterans. there are probably 5-6 guys in the d-league or in some overseas b-league that can replicate or exceed what ebanks has been doing here. i saw someone sign dominic mcguire the other day, for example. is he good? no, but i'd wager that he's a more useful player than ebanks right now.

ebanks has potential, but you can't develop young players while you're trying to win big unless you can give them a consistent role. the lakers can't do that with any of their young players, really. so just go with someone who can help now.
abeer3

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

I disagree in a way. Ebanks was a nice gamble, but it was a gamble none the less. He has every bit of the talent that Ariza does/did. He could have very much been the perfect guy behind Artest.

He just didn't/doesn't have the same heart. He doesn't have the same fire and passion to succeed. It was a calculated risk, but a risk and now that risk hasn't given any type of reward. Time to find a way to get rid of him and bring in someone more consistent.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ThizGuy83 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:I disagree in a way. Ebanks was a nice gamble, but it was a gamble none the less. He has every bit of the talent that Ariza does/did. He could have very much been the perfect guy behind Artest.

He just didn't/doesn't have the same heart. He doesn't have the same fire and passion to succeed. It was a calculated risk, but a risk and now that risk hasn't given any type of reward. Time to find a way to get rid of him and bring in someone more consistent.

lakers should just waive him and morris... there like minimum contracts right? and sign up cdr... he still isnt on a team right? he would be perfect back up for mwp
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:57 pm

brandonr2001 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I disagree in a way. Ebanks was a nice gamble, but it was a gamble none the less. He has every bit of the talent that Ariza does/did. He could have very much been the perfect guy behind Artest.

lakers should just waive him and morris... there like minimum contracts right? and sign up cdr... he still isnt on a team right? he would be perfect back up for mwp

these signings baffled me, im sure if PJ was at the helm these guys wouldnt be back at all
LooN3y

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 am

I just don't see what he's bringing to this team anymore.

Sure he's lanky, is athletic, but not quick, and a decent midrange game, but he's not a player worth playing.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby KB24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 am

my main issue is he believes he is Kobe.

You give him the ball and almost every time it is a step and a midrange shot. He never tries to get in the lane or make a play. He is literally the dead end for the offense and he shows absolutely no effort whatsoever to make himself assertive.

side step....brick.
side step...brick.
step back J....brick
corner 3...brick
pump fake...side step....brick

Sine he is shooting 35% from the floor its simple math. He is useless 65% of the time when he actually shoots and 100% of the time when he plays but doesn't shoot. :man2: :man2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby John3:16 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:47 am

JGC wrote:He's basically a microcosm of this team!

Old and slow?
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion