Devin Ebanks Earning PT (Pine time...)

Re: Devin Ebanks Earning PT

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:09 am

I completely understand the signing: cheap, good potential, continuity, opportunity, young, fairly athletic.

All of those are positives. He has two negatives: immaturity and lack of focus. He doesn't know how to give it his all every single play. He could be better than Trevor Ariza if he wanted to be, but he doesn't have that fire. He disappears some nights.

If you're really all in this season, then the Ebanks experiment should end with him getting waived. Trade someone for a real backup SF and let's just move on. It's not like Ebanks is important to this team's chemistry or anything.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 am

But Ebanks has a "verbal'" no-trade clause that Mitch will honor, unless Ebanks agrees to go to the traded team. Sigh.

Would love to somehow get Ariza back, even if it cost us Duhon (who could be replaced by West).
tigerjeterkobe

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 am

Duhon is definitely a movable asset at this point, but why do you want Ariza back?

Ariza hasn't missed LESS than 10 games since he left LA (he's already missed 7 this season), he's shot more than 40% only once out of 4 seasons, he hasn't shot more than 33.4% from deep, his rebounding rate is just slightly less, he averages more assists (but he played as the cutter/slasher in LA so there wasn't much passing demanded from him).

Outside of nostalgia, he's not a good fit here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:42 am

I disagree. I think he is a perfect fit -- back to being a guy with a set role, not being asked to do too much like he was in NO. His injuries are not serious. And he has mentally checked out, which affects his numbers and play time. After winning a ring with Kobe and playing with Chris Paul, who would want to play for the Wizards????

He is the perfect back up to Ron. He is fast, can finish, can hit the spot up 3. His slashing is needed as guys looks to help helpers when Nash, Dwight, and Gasol pick and roll or Kobe is doubled. Most importantly, he can help reduce Ron's minutes so that Ron is more effective at his role - defense stopper to help close games. Ariza won't get flustered with the bright lights in LA and the stars (like most FAs do). He is a great defender who can back up Kobe and Ron. Having Ron, Ariza, and Kobe to throw at guys like Westbrook, Wade, Durant, Parker and other wing scorers is ideal.

Kobe trusts him. Throwing out a small line up of Nash, Kobe, Ariza, Ron (or D. Will) and Dwight would be great in stretches. With Ron and Ariza ball hawking, there will be fast break opportunities.

I think he fits in a ton of ways -- especially for his defense, youth, athleticism, and experience of having already played here, succeeded, and helped us win a Chip. he played well with CP3 too - hit some clutch corner 3s. nash could have the same effect on him.

If we can trade Duhon and Ebanks for him -- the great.

Also wouldn't mind Hill and Clark for Derek Williams -- who I think has a lot to prove and would play well next to Dwight (is a huge upgrade from Jamison cause he can still play above the rim -- needs to work on D and rebounding).

Sign West to replace Duhon. then you have 3 new versatile players (Williams -- PF/SF; West - PG/SG; Ariza - SF/SG). But maybe I am just crazy...like West
tigerjeterkobe

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am

I just showed you man, he's NOT good at spot up shooting. He's actually really bad at shooting outside. 33.4%, 30.3%, 33.3%, and 25.6% from outside the last 3 years. In fact his career average from outside is only 31.5%.

Yeah, he's still a good defender, but he's also the same price as Metta World Peace and that's WAY too much money for even LESS production than we're getting from Metta. And while he's still only 27, so he's not terribly old, he's only about as athletic as Ebanks is anyway.

I suppose he's a good fit because he's SOMEBODY as opposed to Ebanks who is nobody. But I just don't see it being a match necessarily made Heaven.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:59 am

I know the stats. But again, I think some of it is focus and mentally buying in to win, instead of just playing for stats and for a paycheck.

He is miles ahead of Ebanks -- I think he is much more athletic and a better finisher when slashing.

that said, your point about money is a very very good one.

In your mind, is CDR the guy to replace Ebanks? I certainly don't like Jamison or Clark there at SF.

Would have loved a guy like Chase Buddinger. Too bad he is hurt and out until Feb.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am

lol...what buy in to win does Ariza have? he already has a ring. i don't see any motivation from him.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:06 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I know the stats. But again, I think some of it is focus and mentally buying in to win, instead of just playing for stats and for a paycheck.

He is miles ahead of Ebanks -- I think he is much more athletic and a better finisher when slashing.

that said, your point about money is a very very good one.

In your mind, is CDR the guy to replace Ebanks? I certainly don't like Jamison or Clark there at SF.

Would have loved a guy like Chase Buddinger. Too bad he is hurt and out until Feb.

Actually Ebanks posted nearly the exact same stats athletically at the draft combines. The only difference is Ebanks is a tad bit faster and Ariza is a tad bit quicker. Ariza is just a smarter player than Ebanks is and he works harder. That's where the idea that he's more athletic comes from.

Funnily enough Ebanks is actually a pretty solid finisher when he gets to the rim. He's got nice body control in the air. Around the rim he is shooting 69%. It's everywhere else that's the problem (especially from 3-9 feet he's 0%).

I think CDR would be fantastic. Outside of that I'm not sure where else to look to be honest. I wouldn't be horribly opposed to Ariza if it wasn't for the contract just because he's a familiar body and he'll provide SOMETHING like I said. There's always lanky swing men though somewhere. We just have to look a little bit.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 pm

^^ Yeah, CDR I think would shine, especially with D' Antoni at the helm. He's a better fit than Ebanks who is sketchy from range. The weird thing is the kid used to money from mid-range but now he can't seem to find the hoop there. That was his strong suit. Kind of goes back to what Revgen said that was so on point - he doesn't have an identity. He hasn't focused on his strong points. I don't think he's going to be developed much by D' Antoni who is a short fuse not a teacher in that manner. Wish we could drop a guy like Morris and pick up CDR.

I really wish we had gone after Pietrus. For the life of me I don't understand why we after the DUI we didn't either void Ebanks' contract (maybe hell from the players union?) or drop DJO's contract and go after Pietrus for vets minimum. I mean it seemed like a total no brainer.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm fine with keeping DJO, he seems to be a winner and has really shown some great stuff in the D-League.

What I'd really like though is for the team to just waive Morris and Ebanks like you said. Probably Ebanks because he's shown even less consistency and effort than Morris. Morris to his credit doesn't stop working hard, he's just not very good.

as for picking up Pietrus... Good question. Maybe Pietrus really wanted more money when we were after him and we didn't want to give it to him. And by the time he broke down we weren't asking anymore? That's all I can think of.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm

^^^^ Pietrus....agreed.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby KB24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:58 pm

therealdeal wrote:He doesn't know how to give it his all every single play.

I just spit some coke on my keyboard...LOL :man10: :man10: :man10:

"Siri, remind me to play hard"

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 am

therealdeal wrote:I'm fine with keeping DJO, he seems to be a winner and has really shown some great stuff in the D-League.

What I'd really like though is for the team to just waive Morris and Ebanks like you said. Probably Ebanks because he's shown even less consistency and effort than Morris. Morris to his credit doesn't stop working hard, he's just not very good.

as for picking up Pietrus... Good question. Maybe Pietrus really wanted more money when we were after him and we didn't want to give it to him. And by the time he broke down we weren't asking anymore? That's all I can think of.

^^ Pietrus' agent flat out said they NEVER heard from the Lakers at all. No call. Just like Jerry Sloan. Two signings I really would have liked, or at least two conversations I would have liked to see the FO have.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 am

DOES NOT deserve to even play. He just doesn't fit. You start him and bench Jamison? Really? GTFO.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I'm fine with keeping DJO, he seems to be a winner and has really shown some great stuff in the D-League.

^^ Pietrus' agent flat out said they NEVER heard from the Lakers at all. No call. Just like Jerry Sloan. Two signings I really would have liked, or at least two conversations I would have liked to see the FO have.

Interesting I hadn't heard that. Well yeah, those are two calls that would have been nice from the Lakers. I think though that the FO was SET in going with D'Antoni to bring back some Showtime and excitment. I get what they were going for, but when you lose out on two of your Superstars then things tend to change... as for Pietrus... that's strange. I wonder why not? Mitch usually does his homework in situations like that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 am

realdeal, yeah I agree with you about D' Antoni. It became obvious that they already had their minds set on him as soon as they fired Brown, or maybe even before that. If they were really interested in a coaching search they should and presumably would have called Sloan and McMillan, the two best qualified guys for the job.

But here's the statement from Pietrus' agent where he says the Lakers never contacted him. Stupid move by our guys. Given that the Raptors signed him for the minimum, then we could have, too. What I would give to have that guy right now. http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/20 ... o-raptors/

Here's the most pertinent few sentences:
We spoke with Chicago and Houston early on. As we got deeper in the year, we had conversations with Atlanta, Minnesota, and Toronto. We never heard from the Lakers. There was never any interest from them. At the end of the day, Toronto was the place for him and he’s happy to be there.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 am

Interesting. I wonder why Mitch didn't call? That's not on Jim Buss that's on Mitch 100% and that's strange.

I guess maybe he was more worried about the PG spot?... I don't know... how odd.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:13 am

therealdeal wrote:Interesting. I wonder why Mitch didn't call? That's not on Jim Buss that's on Mitch 100% and that's strange.

I guess maybe he was more worried about the PG spot?... I don't know... how odd.

I'm not putting blame on Mitch without more info. He may have been given the directive not to make any more moves until we got Nash and Pau back. They would have had to cut a player to make room.

So I'll put this one on the FO in general. Mitch is just following orders over there for the most part as far as I can tell.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Interesting. I wonder why Mitch didn't call? That's not on Jim Buss that's on Mitch 100% and that's strange.

I'm not putting blame on Mitch without more info. He may have been given the directive not to make any more moves until we got Nash and Pau back. They would have had to cut a player to make room.

So I'll put this one on the FO in general. Mitch is just following orders over there for the most part as far as I can tell.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's MITCH asking for patience from the Busses, not the other way around. There were reports that the Busses are ready to start pushing Gasol trades, but Mitch doesn't want to. If that's true, then I can see Mitch holding onto ALL of his cards until Gasol has shown he needs to go. When that happens, I'm sure they'll do what they need to do. Or if it doesn't happen and Gasol continues looking like he did last night and they find a hole elsewhere, I'm sure they'll make the right choice then too.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:31 am

Peaches would have been nice right now. I do believe Pau is going to be moved for another SF by Feb. Pau is what he is at this point; I believe the FO is going to move him. It doesn't excuse the FO from not at least making a phone call to Pietrus' agent...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby karacha on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 am

I'm not sure why he's playing, to be honest. It's better to play Jamison some more.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 am

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's MITCH asking for patience from the Busses, not the other way around. There were reports that the Busses are ready to start pushing Gasol trades, but Mitch doesn't want to. If that's true, then I can see Mitch holding onto ALL of his cards until Gasol has shown he needs to go. When that happens, I'm sure they'll do what they need to do. Or if it doesn't happen and Gasol continues looking like he did last night and they find a hole elsewhere, I'm sure they'll make the right choice then too.

Patience regarding Pau is something entirely different. That's a huge trade. And it's a move to fit the coach's system rather than taking into account our talent and making sure we don't make a huge mistake. Now isn't the time to move Pau unless there is a really good deal out there. In fact, you're telling me exactly what I'm saying. Mitch isn't calling any of these shots. These shots are being dictated by Jim Buss, the current active owner. And I don't think they are the best calls.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Re: Devin Ebanks Earning PT (Pine time...)

Postby borri on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Ebanks wishes he can be Devean George. Wait maybe he is.
borri

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's MITCH asking for patience from the Busses, not the other way around. There were reports that the Busses are ready to start pushing Gasol trades, but Mitch doesn't want to. If that's true, then I can see Mitch holding onto ALL of his cards until Gasol has shown he needs to go. When that happens, I'm sure they'll do what they need to do. Or if it doesn't happen and Gasol continues looking like he did last night and they find a hole elsewhere, I'm sure they'll make the right choice then too.

Patience regarding Pau is something entirely different. That's a huge trade. And it's a move to fit the coach's system rather than taking into account our talent and making sure we don't make a huge mistake. Now isn't the time to move Pau unless there is a really good deal out there. In fact, you're telling me exactly what I'm saying. Mitch isn't calling any of these shots. These shots are being dictated by Jim Buss, the current active owner. And I don't think they are the best calls.

No I'm not LJ, sorry, I think you're just desperate to blame the Lakers' struggles on someone and you're finding your way to Jim Buss because it's easy. Mitch Kupchak is the one calling the shots right now on player personnel and he didn't make a call to Pietrus. That's not Buss's fault. The Lakers' struggles aren't on Buss's shoulders right now. He as an owner made all of the right moves to get this team put together. He hired D'Antoni and we have YET to see whether or not that was the right move because we don't have all our pieces on the table. D'Antoni designed this offense around the PG we have right now in a suit on the sidelines. It's the perfect pick and roll offense with THE best pick and roll players in the league.

Time. That's all we need, we're just running out of it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Devin Ebanks Earning PT (Pine time...)

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:36 pm

We need an atheltic 3....
Thenextgreat

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion