Did Woj get this ONE wrong?

Re: Did Woj get this ONE wrong?

Postby MC on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:48 am

khmrP wrote:
D.B. Cooper wrote:
khmrP wrote:
D.B. Cooper wrote:I know there was a report that in order to keep D12 in Orl they wanted to get Phil, but he made the same request. Not travel on extended RT and after a year or two he would let Shaw coach and Phil would become GM/ President of the Magic.

As far as the Lakers, I was shocked with the Tony hire but I gave it a chance ONLY because I figured Nash would run things smoothly. One way to fix this is bite the bullet and make Eddie Jordan the HC and go back to the motion offense. I think you still trade Gasol because his D vs smaller quicker PF is awful. Try to get a bench with the Gasol trade(easier said than done, I know) and hopefully keep the 2014 plan. Of course if you do get a bench dump Morris, Ebanks, Sacre and Duhon or Blake.

dude, everybody keep repeating OFFENSE isn't the biggest problem, going back to that horrible O would only make things worse, these perimiter guys dont know how to move for crap with out the ball.

And what Phil was a defensive coach? All we need is a guy that's been a HC before and has a system, and of course practice D, have a system on D too. These guys are lost on D because they're not on the same page. You gotta coach on both sides and not just scream run, run and defense, defense like Tony does.

well going back to that bad offense isn't gona help matters any thats for sure.

It amazes me that people actually think one is separate from the other .... IT'S NOT!

Your offense can have major consequences on your defense and when you turn over the ball the way the Lakers do on OFFENSE, or they take quick perimeter shots that lead to long rebounds...all leading to easy transition hoops from an imbalanced floor than yes you do have an OFFENSIVE issue that is seriously handicapping an already average at best defense.

Their OFFENSE drives them right into their weaknesses at the quickest pace possible....... the OFFENSE is a huge issue right now in that manner.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 am

MC wrote:

It amazes me that people actually think one is separate from the other .... IT'S NOT!

Your offense can have major consequences on your defense and when you turn over the ball the way the Lakers do on OFFENSE, or they take quick perimeter shots that lead to long rebounds...all leading to easy transition hoops from an imbalanced floor than yes you do have an OFFENSIVE issue that is seriously handicapping an already average at best defense.

Their OFFENSE drives them right into their weaknesses at the quickest pace possible....... the OFFENSE is a huge issue right now in that manner.

and you thought the D was good with Brown and the princeston O? It was the same thing, while they killed more clock they still got bad forced shots from Kobe leading to brakes from the other team, they turned the ball over alot because nobody knew where to go with their movement, so more transition points. Seriously people got some short term memories around here when it came to the princeston and brown overall D reputation.
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 am

^^ I hated the Princeton with a passion. The only time I was happy with the coaching direction was when Bernie took over as interim coach. That was the only semblance of both good offense and good defense this year. People keep dismissing it as pickup ball or whatever, but that's not what it was. Bernie had 14 years as a head coach and some more years as a GM. They weren't disorganized. They just weren't playing "system ball." They were playing smart - playing to their strengths. They were utilizing the bigs on the block and they were moving the basketball well. They were also playing some D. But there was no agenda - only to win.

Here's the thing. Both Brown and D' Antoni are coaches with huge weaknesses on one side of the court. Brown has always been stuck in ISO mode on offense. Mike Antoni, no D, well that nickname speaks for itself. We knew these facts before they were even hired.

We need a balanced coach. We have to address this. We need a coach who works with our personnel and a coach that is good on both sides of the ball. There have been some out there but we haven't given them a chance. Next time let Mitch decide who coaches. The Rudy T and Mike Brown choices were busts from Jim. If it's to believed and D' Antoni was Jerry's choice (I think he was Jim's probably as well to a lesser degree) that's a bust too. Mitch is the guy who put the team together for the most part as GM. He's the only guy of the three who has any real NBA experience. He's the knowledgeable basketball guy and the best suited to choose the right coach. His choice two years ago was going to be Adelman (actually Jerry's choice as well). If we had gone with his recommendation we wouldn't be in this awful mess right now. We might not have won championships, but we wouldn't be at the bottom of the freaking conference under Adelman, that's for sure.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby MC on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

khmrP wrote:
MC wrote:

and you thought the D was good with Brown and the princeston O? It was the same thing, while they killed more clock they still got bad forced shots from Kobe leading to brakes from the other team, they turned the ball over alot because nobody knew where to go with their movement, so more transition points. Seriously people got some short term memories around here when it came to the princeston and brown overall D reputation.

When they decided to implement the Princeton it should have been known that there was going to be some serious growing pains until this team could run it in an efficient way......... the issue with the Princeton early is a lot of the same issues have now on the offensive end....we are team right now that turns over the ball way too much.......... early on it was the Guys learning a new timing based system that runs off ball movement off of screens.... now it's just because of piss poor offensive philosophy relative to our roster. The Princeton would help wear down smaller teams, playing the way we do now only plays to what small teams want to do....... MDA's system is so easy to defend if guys can't hit perimeter shots...the Princeton has counters and good off ball movement to make defenses WORK..........

You have to recognize what was failing and why

it was always going to take some time to get the Princeton down.... they were shooting a decent shooting percentage out of it but were giving up way too many turnovers..... that happens when you are implementing systems. As an organization you have to show a little testicular fortitude and not blink..... this FO, specifically the farther and son clown team, not only blinked they flat out panicked!

My original point was only to say that your offensive philosophy and floor balance does have an effect on your defensive principles.........

Princeton or no Princeton is irrelevant to that basic point...... you show me a team that turns over the ball a lot and gives up long rebounds and I'll show you a team that can't defend. This team is not great in the half court defense either but they are not as bad as people think, they have acceptable defense when they can get set and loaded...... you have to look at the other aspects that are making the situation worse like turnovers and long rebounds to understand why their struggles have gotten worse, not better. If you don;t understand that the offense is tied to your defense than you have no shot at figuring out the issue, let alone coming with a solution. I'm afraid that is where MDA and the FO are exactly.....clueless outside of the guy that I'm sure gets vetoed all the time.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion