Ding: Lakers' Jim Buss isn't who you think he is

Re: Ding: Lakers' Jim Buss isn't who you think he is

Postby kray28 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Jim Buss is exactly who we thought he is: the guy who hired Mike Brown over everyone's better advice.
kray28

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:04 pm

Jim Buss is the guy who chose to scrap a system that brought 5 titles to L.A. just so he could put his own "stamp" on the organization (and because of a petty personal vendetta.)

In short, Jim Buss is an idiot.

His dad is sorely missed.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby lotus on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Jimmy's basketball ego vs. Not losing D12, which is bigger?
lotus

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:08 pm

^

C'mon Jerry - time for the grownups to step in and fix this mess.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby kray28 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Bad news on the ODB front: he is now completely out of day to day operations. For all intents and purposes, Jimmy runs everything on the basketball side for the Lakers organization.
kray28

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:23 pm

If Jimmy jeopardizes Dwight's extension and/or costs TWC enough subscribers, he'll get a reality check re: who's really running things.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby OX1947 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 pm

This is the Lakers folks. If Dwight wanted to leave 50 mil on the table, then it would be the first. Aint gonna happen. If the lakers do not get to the finals, Brown is out anyway.
OX1947

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:03 am

I think if Jimmy just decided to cut ties right now and admit his mistake and try to fix it with a coaching change, his image for the long run will be a lot better.

He can at least say he TRIED to fix the problem, whereas if he keeps Brown for the entire season and we flame out, it will look a whole lot worse on his part.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby odom1year on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:42 am

We traded his boy, Bynum. :man10:
odom1year

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:15 am

odom1year wrote:We traded his boy, Bynum. :man10:

Well, to be fair JIM BUSS traded his boy way. He OK'd the deal and Howard was always the guy that Jim Buss said he'd be willing to trade Bynum for.

This goes back to what I said earlier in this thread, I think Jim Buss has been doing a really good job with personnel. He's shown a real ability to put together a great team with Mitch's expertise and help and a willingness to pay for it. For that I think he really deserves a TON of credit. He's exceeded any reasonable expectations.

My big knock on Jim is his decision making in coaching hires. I just think his track record is terrible. His irrational hatred of all things Phil (although it's understandable in that Phil is going out with his sister and there's a crazy dynamic there) has hindered him in that regard, too.

If there weren't the issues of the past standing in the way right now it would be a no-brainer to ask Phil to come back and have him finish what he started.

To me, Phil and Kobe should be riding out into the sunset together. Having Nash along for the ride would just make it all the sweeter. After 3 more rings, one last three-peat, it'll be Howard's team with a new direction built around him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:52 pm

9-12. Jimmy rocks! :jam2:
lotus

Postby dak22 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 pm

lotus wrote:9-12. Jimmy rocks! :jam2:

can't win when your two best players don't bring it constantly regardless of the coach.

If kobe and dwight showed the same effort as Jordan Hill tonight, we win easily.
dak22

Postby lotus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:09 pm

dak22 wrote:
lotus wrote:9-12. Jimmy rocks! :jam2:

can't win when your two best players don't bring it constantly regardless of the coach.

If kobe and dwight showed the same effort as Jordan Hill tonight, we win easily.

Surely you aren't serious. Have you seen how many minutes the two best players are putting in each game? I dare say they are being overused already just to keep the boat from sinking. (Pau is already out because of tendnitis from overuse.) It hasn't worked.

43 and 42 minutes tonight for the best two players. They'll be playing on fumes in the playoffs at this rate.
lotus

Postby 432J on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 pm

jim buss is the reason this team is a disaster

thank you jim, POS
432J

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 am

the city of los angeles needs to call for jim buss's head. its the only way our organization doesnt turn into crap
LooN3y

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:26 am

LOL at blaming Jim Buss. We have D12/Kobe, we shouldn't be losing games to crap teams.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:03 am

Doc Brown wrote:LOL at blaming Jim Buss. We have D12/Kobe, we shouldn't be losing games to crap teams.

if it wasnt for jim, we wouldnt have MDA right now
LooN3y

Postby Poooky on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:10 am

LooN3y wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:LOL at blaming Jim Buss. We have D12/Kobe, we shouldn't be losing games to crap teams.

LOL at people blaming Jim all the time.

All the hate people have with Jimmy are all based on the media. No one really knows what is going on behind closed doors.
""I eat babies!!! Woot woot"
Poooky

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 am

Poooky wrote:
LooN3y wrote:

All the hate people have with Jimmy are all based on the media. No one really knows what is going on behind closed doors.

what about mitch almost leaving during the mike brown hire? what about jeanie buss calling out jim's decisions? what about the statement where he wanted to "make his own stamp" on the lakers organization.

these things dont come out of nowhere. and mitch trying to keep gasol till nash comes back, nash which wanted to play with gasol, whos trying to upset nash and shake up the roster? certainly not mitch, im assuming its the owners son whos in charge of basketball personnel
LooN3y

Postby Armani on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:14 am

This Jim Buss nonsense needs to stop... what we have on paper is the best team in the league. NO ONE saw this coming. Maybe some predicted we wouldn't win the title, but 9-12? Playing like we're tanking out there? Yeah, no one knew this would happen.
Armani

Postby Poooky on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 am

LooN3y wrote:
Poooky wrote:
LooN3y wrote:

what about mitch almost leaving during the mike brown hire? what about jeanie buss calling out jim's decisions? what about the statement where he wanted to "make his own stamp" on the lakers organization.

these things dont come out of nowhere. and mitch trying to keep gasol till nash comes back, nash which wanted to play with gasol, whos trying to upset nash and shake up the roster? certainly not mitch, im assuming its the owners son whos in charge of basketball personnel

Again, where did it come from? The media.

Hey... If you can give me direct quotes from those people then all the praise to
you. All we are getting those from are "sources". You know how those work.

If there are so much clash within the F.O, how come Mitch is still the GM? I would've left already if my decisions were being over turned left and right.
Poooky

Postby LooN3y on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:24 am

Poooky wrote:
LooN3y wrote:
Poooky wrote:
LooN3y wrote:

Again, where did it come from? The media.

Hey... If you can give me direct quotes from those people then all the praise to
you. All we are getting those from are "sources". You know how those work.

If there are so much clash within the F.O, how come Mitch is still the GM? I would've left already if my decisions were being over turned left and right.

yea, true. but why is jim buss being targeted?

i take everything back if hes just an innocent scapegoat. but why? is it because of the rudy T hire back in the day?

the reason i hate jim so much, is because of all the crap i've read over here.

edit: and its what i've been reading over the years, my post count is low, but i've been coming here for couple of years.
LooN3y

Postby Poooky on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 am

A lot of people hate him is because of what we read.

There was a time a lot of people hated Mitch. Look how people perceive him now. It's all the media
BS that causes all the turmoil.

“We have a good relationship. People misunderstand that relationship. We’ve had good times. We’ve had dinner together, things like that. He’s a great guy. He wants to do the right thing, he wants to help us win a championship. The biggest thing is, the same with his father who he’s learned from, he’s not going to make rushed decisions. He’s going to be patient, he’s going to take his time, and the one thing I will say about the Lakers organization is that this is one of those franchises that always seems to land on it’s feet. Always seems to make the right choices, always seems to make the right decisions. Even the tough ones. He’s a great guy.”

That quote is from Kobe. If he supports Jimmy, I'll support him too. I'll believe Kobe's quote before the media.

Jim trained under Jerry West, Mitch and Jerry Buss, who is still the decision maker.

I'll reserve my judgement when he actually takes over the team once
good ol' Jerry is gone.
Poooky

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:51 am

Surprise, an article by Plaschke that is actually on point. From Sunday's paper:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/08 ... s-20121209

Pretty happening.

BILL PLASCHKE
Everything has fallen apart so quickly and left the team with so many questions and so few answers.
December 08, 2012|Bill Plaschke

The Lakers are a team with so many questions and so few answers.
That didn't take long.

On Oct. 30, one of the presumably most powerful teams in NBA history opened its season by marching on to a Staples Center floor ringed in blinding belief.

On Sunday, one of the potentially most disappointing teams in NBA history will trudge on to a Staples Center floor drenched in despairing disillusionment,

It is stunning that the Lakers, once a model of smarts and stability, are both of those teams. It is equally startling that, even in Hollywood, this Looney Tunes twist would require only six weeks.

Remember when fans were outraged at the possibility that the Lakers games would not be carried by their television providers? Six weeks later, my die-hard Lakers fan neighbor is one of many who admits he doesn't even rush home from work to watch them anymore.

Remember when an irritated Kevin Durant pointedly refused to comment on the Lakers' potential greatness? Six weeks later, after his Oklahoma City team thrashed the Lakers in a 114-108 victory Friday, Durant actually spoke as if he felt sorry for them.

"People underestimate chemistry in this league," he said.

Chemistry? If you're talking about the explosion of glass beakers and the emission of nauseating gases, well, yeah, this is about chemistry.

Six weeks ago, Metta World Peace predicted the Lakers could win 73 games. Today, with a record of 9-11, they have only six more wins than they've had head coaches.

Six weeks ago, it was predicted the Lakers would win with smart, fundamental basketball. Today, they are last in the league in turnovers, last in free-throw percentage, and 15th in points allowed.

Six weeks ago, Kobe Bryant agreed to pass the torch to Dwight Howard. Earlier this week, on the sidelines in New Orleans, they were publicly and angrily whacking each other with that torch.

Six weeks ago … like a lingering nightmare, the differences between then and now go on and on.

Everyone was once worried sick that Howard would not re-sign here during the summer. Now, after struggling with his back injury and missing more free throws (114) than only three other players have made, it is perhaps Howard who should be worried.

Pau Gasol was once coming off a strong Olympic performance and headed for a nice twilight run with Bryant. Now he's sitting glumly on the bench and on the trading block.

Steve Nash was once the Lakers' new symbol of eternal youth. Now, well, his aging body couldn't even last two games, and his flashiest move has been the opening-night pink sweater and man bag.

Mike Brown once had a new offense and a vote of confidence. Now he's got a permanent seat at his son's Mater Dei High basketball games.

Phil Jackson was once the retired coach the Lakers kept behind glass to be broken only in case of emergency. Now that glass has been shattered and Jackson has been discarded, never to coach here again.

There are those will say it is too early for such alarm. But nearly one-fourth of the season is already complete, and none of these questions even has a whiff of an answer.

Where is the owner?

Ironically, the roots of the Lakers' chaos can be found at what once had been the roots of their stability. Where is owner Jerry Buss? He has not been seen publicly in months amid rampant and sometimes dire speculation about his health. The Lakers have politely said he's unavailable for comment, claimed that he's still running the team, and asked that his privacy be respected.

No matter what's happening, it's clear what's not happening. The Lakers aren't being run with the same calm focus that once made Buss the best owner in professional sports. It is unknown whether it is an ailing Buss who has lost that focus or whether his lieutenants are running amok in his absence, but something has changed.

It is hard to imagine that the vision that Jerry Buss used to build 10 championships would have been involved in the three biggest reasons for this team's sudden downfall: the strange hiring of Mike Brown, the sudden firing of Mike Brown and the refusal to hire Phil Jackson to replace him.

Where is the general manager?

Mitch Kupchak is one of basketball's finest minds, and against all odds has proven himself to be a worthy successor to Jerry West. He could easily fill the void left by Buss' lengthening absence. But Kupchak has been busy baby-sitting the boss' son, Jimmy Buss, in the manner that David Spade once had to mentor Chris Farley in "Tommy Boy."

There is a feeling that if Kupchak had complete basketball power, the Lakers wouldn't be in this mess. That could happen only if Jeanie Buss were given complete control of the team, which many of the Lakers partners and city's power brokers are hoping happens.

But, for now, as long as Jimmy Buss has his father's blessing as the basketball boss, Kupchak must share that throne, and the ball is dropped on hiring Jackson, and a coach who is physically struggling and systematically questionable is dropped on the bench instead.

Where is the coach?

Mike D'Antoni's offensive system will not work with this aging roster. Period. D'Antoni's defensive system has never worked at a championship level. Period. If D'Antoni doesn't alter his philosophy, the Lakers don't have a chance at a title before Bryant retires or skips town. Period.

Where is the future?

Everyone says the Lakers will be saved by the imminent return of Nash. So a 38-year-old point guard not known for his defense and no longer able to run like a kid is going to be the magic wand for this bad defense and chaotic running game? Really?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:00 am

so much drama........dont know who to the blame but really not much to hope for when the problem is the actaul owner, those who think Jim can be forced out are out of their mind. This is looking like the Niners before the Harbough signing, decades of relevance down the drain due to bad owners kids.
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion