Doc Rivers speaks on the Lakers, Dwight, and Nash

Doc Rivers speaks on the Lakers, Dwight, and Nash

Postby JSM on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:42 pm

Celtics Blog wrote:“Honestly, I don't care about the Lakers,” Rivers said. “My honest thought as a coach right now…I have my eye squarely on Miami. I come up to my players during the year -- they're in the facility now -- I bring up Miami every single day to them. I want them to hate them. I want them to beat them. That's got to be our focus.

“I think the Lakers are better,” Rivers continued. “I’m actually not one that thinks they’re way better. The guy they traded, (Andrew) Bynum, we struggled to guard him. Dwight is a great player, but we’ve guarded him pretty well.

“Offensively, the Nash part is different. I look at them and wonder how that’s going to work. I hear they’re going to run the Princeton offense, which I want to see the ball move, I want to see Kobe (Bryant) keep moving the ball.

“But it’ll be interesting. They’re really good.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Doc Rivers speaks on the Lakers, Dwight, and Nash

Postby The Rock on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:46 pm

He's right, he can't be worried about the Lakers when he hasn't been able to beat Miami last 2 years.

As for the Princeton offense, its just one of several moves we use as a team in our attack. Fastbreak, halfcourt, Kobe-ball, pick and roll....we've pretty much used all of it to win championships, not just one specifically, we used the triangle to get the bigs going early and establish their presence but its not like its been our crunch time offense. Its always been Kobe-ball, whether its in Iso, pick and roll, pick and pop, post up, whatever it may be. At the end of the day no offense is gonna matter, Kobe is gonna draw the attention, its up to Nash and the others to make the defense pay for leaving them open

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:04 pm

By guarding Howard he means hacking the balls off of him. And of course he wants Kobe to move the ball, Kobe has killed Boston for years. He wants to see Kobe without the ball in his hands.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:23 pm

False... they only successful guard Dwight when they had Perkins. And that's because they'd have Perkins body him on on one and then sent KG to help too. They've never had to guard Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol together. They've also never had to guard Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash. And KG/Bass/Jeff Green/Fab Melo/Sullinger are not going to do anything to help that.
Center Court

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:33 pm

I have a feeling that Greaseface and his boys will find it a little harder defending Dwight now that he's made some new friends in LA.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby kenzo on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:38 pm

The Rock wrote:He's right, he can't be worried about the Lakers when he hasn't been able to beat Miami last 2 years.

As for the Princeton offense, its just one of several moves we use as a team in our attack. Fastbreak, halfcourt, Kobe-ball, pick and roll....we've pretty much used all of it to win championships, not just one specifically, we used the triangle to get the bigs going early and establish their presence but its not like its been our crunch time offense. Its always been Kobe-ball, whether its in Iso, pick and roll, pick and pop, post up, whatever it may be. At the end of the day no offense is gonna matter, Kobe is gonna draw the attention, its up to Nash and the others to make the defense pay for leaving them open

This. We'll be seeing them 2 times a year for the "near" future :man10:
kenzo

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 am

Tobias Funke wrote:I have a feeling that Greaseface and his boys will find it a little harder defending Dwight now that he's made some new friends in LA.

Greaseface? :man10: LOL, that's pretty harsh. Who are you referring to?? :man10:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby v1n5anity on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:52 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:I have a feeling that Greaseface and his boys will find it a little harder defending Dwight now that he's made some new friends in LA.

Greaseface? :man10: LOL, that's pretty harsh. Who are you referring to?? :man10:

Doc Rivers. You've never noticed his shiny face? Looks like he oiled it up or something :man10:
v1n5anity

Postby v1n5anity on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:52 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:

Doc Rivers. You've never noticed his shiny face? Looks like he oiled it up or something :man10:
v1n5anity

Postby abeer3 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:21 am

i like how everyone insists kobe won't pass the ball. i've never thought that would be a problem, but i'm positive it won't now that every one with a mouth has been swearing it will. kobe's listening.

and double-lol at the idea that howard will be easier for them to handle than bynum. um, the guy you used to slow down howard is playing in okc, now, buddy. remember? he's part of your undefeated starting five.

enjoy the descent into mediocrity that will accompany having rajon rondo as your franchise player.
abeer3

Postby gcclaker on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 am

Rivers is correct that he has to get past Miami FIRST before even thinking about the Lakers just like the Lakers have Oklahoma City in their way. It was easier for them to defend Howard when Orlando had no one that could create a shot for themselves or others.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:25 am

when he says "they've guarded him well" am i wrong or is he referring to when they had kendrick perkins? because if he's referencing that it would be pretty ridiculous

he's right about miami though, they won't be beating them for a while anyways
432J

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:04 am

Well to be fair last season Boston defended him well. He shot only 37% against them (10/27 total).

But even so in the two games he played them he still had a strong double-double with 18/14 and 16/16.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 am

He has a career average of 16 & 13 against them. Drew has a career average of 12 & 8 against them. Granted there's a much larger sampling against Dwight because he's played 15 more games against them. But to say they do well against Dwight and struggle against Drew is statistically incorrect.

They've held him to 50% shooting (58% career average) and 16 points (18 a game career average), but that's only one basket away from his career average and he's still getting the same number of rebounds a game against them.

Comparing his numbers against Boston as opposed to those against other teams, they do "limit" him better than some teams. But if that's him being defended well, I'll take those numbers any day of the week. Houston has had more success guarding him than Boston however, 15/12 w/ 54% FG average.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:20 am

^ And again that's with him playing on a team with spacers, but no offensive options. Their best creator was Hedo Turkoglu. Hedo probably wouldn't start on this team.

Here he has Nash, Kobe, Gasol, World Peace, and Jamison. Good luck defending all of that well.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 am

V1n5anity wrote:
Lakeshow24 wrote:

Well, I did assume it was Doc but wanted to double check for clarity. He does have a glossy faced appearance.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Chopper on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:00 am

I didn't watch/read Doc's comments. I dont care what he says right now.

I'm surprised he wasn't still talking about how their "starting five" still hasn't lost a playoff series. LOL
Chopper

Postby kray28 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 am

V1n5anity wrote:
Lakeshow24 wrote:

Doc is scurred...nice deflection though.
kray28

Postby last stand on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:48 am

bynum would have been harder to guard. i mean you have kobe, meaning you can't double, pau meaning you can't double.

bynum must have been a nightmare since he'd get easy buckets, and one on one coverage every game

how do you defend that. bynum 1 on 1 with no help.

easier to defend howard by being able to double and knowing he's the guy who orlando wants to take the shot
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby intuitivelOve on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:57 pm

This is no surprise considering the way he and Doug Collins was sucking on Lebron during the Olympics. Doc and Doug probably dream about Lebron and Miami at night.
intuitivelOve

Postby ben_ready on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Let's see them guard Howard one on one now, doc must have forgot how Howard was backing big perk down and dunking on him and big baby when he had one on one's yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:15 am

All I know is we will win the regular season game at Boston for the fifth time in a row with Pau blocking Jason Terry attempt to win the game at the buzzer
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersStan24 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:55 am

lol I'm not surpried after all this is coming from a boston coach and his team are terrible KG 36, paul pierce 36 or 37 jason terry at least 32 - 34 yrs old and a 20+ year old point guard who can get 12 to 15 assists a night but can barely score over 8 points would only get 15 on a good night while the Lakers have Kobe 27.9 ppg Dwight Howard 20.6 ppg, Pau Gasol 17.7 ppg, Steve Nash 12 ppg has the albilty gfor 15 and he averages 10 assists ppg with Metta at 10 to 12 ppg game and Like Nash Can get 15 on any given night, then our bench Jamison 17.7 ppg (He'll still get 10 to 15 points form the bench) Steve Blake 8 ppg but could reach 12 or maybe 15 on a good day, Jodie Meeks got 8.8 ppg last years He shoulsd be at least 10 ppg this season with the ablity to score but Jordan Hill can even get 12 ppg and been great the defensive end, so doc rivers your team is screwed.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby lakersStan24 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:57 am

lol I'm not surpried after all this is coming from a boston coach and his team are terrible KG 36, paul pierce 36 or 37 jason terry at least 32 - 34 yrs old and a 20+ year old point guard who can get 12 to 15 assists a night but can barely score over 8 points would only get 15 on a good night while the Lakers have Kobe 27.9 ppg Dwight Howard 20.6 ppg, Pau Gasol 17.7 ppg, Steve Nash 12 ppg has the albilty gfor 15 and he averages 10 assists ppg with Metta at 10 to 12 ppg game and Like Nash Can get 15 on any given night, then our bench Jamison 17.7 ppg (He'll still get 10 to 15 points form the bench) Steve Blake 8 ppg but could reach 12 or maybe 15 on a good day, Jodie Meeks got 8.8 ppg last years He shoulsd be at least 10 ppg this season with the ablity to score but Jordan Hill can even get 12 ppg and been great the defensive end, so doc rivers your team is screwed.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby LakerFan1980 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:20 am

Whe Doc speaks I just want to go get him some warm tea to help his throat!
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
LakerFan1980

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion