Don't expect much from our rookies

Don't expect much from our rookies

Postby Laker brain on Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:43 am

When the lakers draft with 24 and 32, whoever they get wont see a lot of time, Phil plays experienced players,not rookies.
Laker brain

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:56 am

L-brain,

I know that Phil has the history in the past of not playing rookies. That's because during his Bulls days he had such a deep team (compared to last year's Lakers) that rookies were not needed to contribute. I think that Phil will play a rookie if he has the ability to play bot ends of the court.

Last year was Ginobli's first year in the league because he can hit the three on offense, drive to the basket strong, and play great D. He had so many steals this year. I think Phil would have played Ginobli if he had him.

I want a first year player like Ginobli, not a first year player like Rush.

I guess we are going to have the same debate on this thread. Its fun debating with you. This past week in this website has been boring, but with you, #1kobefan, and I debating on the Rush issue, this site has gotten interesting.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:40 am

Well, we will play the rookies as long as they are talented DEFENSIVELY...
Snakell Beast

Postby shaqass on Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:29 am

I hope we will learn from the last season. When I say "we" I think about Phil...I think the last season shows how important the rookies and young players are. We saw how it hurts when one or two of your best players get injured and that no one on the bench is ready to play because no one gave them a chance to play before the playoff.

just a little comment about Ginobili and other "non American" stars. Ginobili, Stoja, Gasol, Parker etc etc all those player were called one day "Rooky" because it was their first year in NBA. But all of them were already stars in their home team, they were already pro and therefore it is not a surprise that they are at this level so quickly. Last year Ginobili had nothing of a Rooky except the name. I don't understand why the Lakers try so little to catch such young player with already a couple of year of experience in Europe. When I was in the USA (1999) people were laughing at me when I was talking about Europe baskball ("sucks" was the most usual word used to describe it) but young players from Europe have a couple of things that are more and more seldom in the USA: basics, work ethic. I don't want to open a debate here, I think we talked already a lot about that when the "dream team" sank recently. But talent is everywhere and the Lakers should not under estimate that (see the Spurs) in the futur.
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:33 am

KobeONE, LakerBrain.... had made it an interesting few days of discussion when things were just starting to get dry.
Phil does have a history of not playing rookies but oddly this year (regular season) he gave them minutes to show their stuff. Its unfortunate that our rookies didn't grasp the moment but instead struggle with the offense not to mention (defensively). However, when Phil desperately needed help (playoffs) in the backcourt one of our rookies stepped in and played big. We need players that aren't afraid, that don't fold in pressure situations. Its too bad worksouts can't determine that before selecting a potential draft pick.
Detroit got lucky with PRINCE and Ginobli with Spurms. Ginobli is a different story however, because he played professional ball with Argentina. He was its countries best player! and was a season vet even at a young age. Prince, was different he stepped up when it mattered.
Stoudmire with the SUNs was impressive considering he came str8 from highschool. The first game (playoffs) he had against the SPURMS he did really well but it all went downhill for him from there. I think he got intimidated by DUNCRAP not physically but playing skill wise. Stoudmire was going to school that series and the teacher was DUNCRAP. That series will only make Stoudmire a MONSTER next season.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Laker brain on Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:32 pm

I agree that # 1 Kobe fan has made this site a lot more interesting, its really fun to express our feelings about issues, and although some issues we disagree on, we as fans should know it is all in GOOD FUN.
This is Lakers SMACK... If you post it, bring it hard, an defend your position and reasoning. This site should have a Lakers debate section, like ESPN's "Pardon the Interuption".
Laker brain

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:18 pm

Slava is our best pure shooter on the team (other than Kobe) so we should already know there that Euros can be talented and effective. Now we need to get an athletic Euro that can play monster D and rebound for our front court, like Malick Badianne...I want him so badly I can taste it...
Snakell Beast

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:29 am

I also like Badiane.

However, the only thing I have been hearing in the radio from Mitch and Ronnie Lester today is how they loved Zaur Pachulia and David West.

Hopefully, they are just using this as a smoke screen, for choosing someone great like Badiane.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Return to Lakers Discussion