I Dont Like Stu Lantz

Re: I Dont Like Stu Lantz

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

kray28 wrote:I don't like any of the TNT color guys. I don't get the Hubie love either. Outside of him, they all seem to hate the Lakers bigtime, and have some type of agenda/axe to grind during the game.

It makes most TNT broadcasts a world of suck for Laker fans.

you dont like Kevin Harland and Reggie Miller? LOVE that team
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am

Lakerjones wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:
kray28 wrote:MacDonald on the other hand....

Dorky? :man1:

i cant believe we dropped the ball on Spiro...he would have made Stu tolerable for me again

Pound - I know you're not alone, I've heard a lot of people over the years complain about Stu. I like Stu a lot as I'm so used to him. He was definitely Chick's best color guy because he was the only one who could actually get a word in that he would put up with. I like your Keith Erikson reference - :man10:

But yeah, it's a shame that Spiro bailed on us for New York. He was the guy they were grooming for the job. The gig was his but he wanted that Knicks job. Bummer.

Billy Mac sucks. I can't stand him. He was fine as a post game or pre-game personality, but play by play? Give me a freaking break. I think he's worse than Paul Sunderland, and I wasn't a fan of his.

I really liked Joel but I preferred him with Mychal Thompson as the two had a really good rapport on the radio. Joel and Stu never got along so they were annoying with all their bickering. Stu gets along better with Billy Mac, but "Fresh Snow" is just not qualified for this gig, IMO.

thanks man...agree about Billy Mac too...like i said, maybe i'm deflecting my angst towards Stu because of him

you ever listen to Ireland do the play by play on radio? what do you think of him?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 am

Lakerjones wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

i cant believe we dropped the ball on Spiro...he would have made Stu tolerable for me again

Billy Mac sucks. I can't stand him. He was fine as a post game or pre-game personality, but play by play? Give me a freaking break. I think he's worse than Paul Sunderland, and I wasn't a fan of his.

I really liked Joel but I preferred him with Mychal Thompson as the two had a really good rapport on the radio. Joel and Stu never got along so they were annoying with all their bickering. Stu gets along better with Billy Mac, but "Fresh Snow" is just not qualified for this gig, IMO.

Don't forget "cash money"... Many an eye roll from me on that one. :man5:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 am

Lakerjones wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

Pound - I know you're not alone, I've heard a lot of people over the years complain about Stu. I like Stu a lot as I'm so used to him. He was definitely Chick's best color guy because he was the only one who could actually get a word in that he would put up with. I like your Keith Erikson reference - :man10:

But yeah, it's a shame that Spiro bailed on us for New York. He was the guy they were grooming for the job. The gig was his but he wanted that Knicks job. Bummer.

"MWP! Yes Sir!" :bang:

I find it hard to believe Billy Mac is the best we could do.
nthydro

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:46 am

pound4pound1 wrote:

thanks man...agree about Billy Mac too...like i said, maybe i'm deflecting my angst towards Stu because of him

you ever listen to Ireland do the play by play on radio? what do you think of him?

It's funny Pound, because I thought I was going to hate him . . . But he's really good! I don't really like John Ireland as a personality - I prefer Billy Mac for interviews - but he's a pretty darned good play by play guy.

At first I was cringing when I found out he was taking over the radio play by play, but I am really happy with him. Who knew?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:48 am

I can't agree, I love Stu. I think his comments are usually spot on, and he's not a homer blatantly cheering for the Lakers, he's unbiased and praises both teams. Heck even our Subway Sub of the Game can go to opposing team players, like Evans last night, see if many other teams and their stupid, homer commentary guys do that, you won't find many do.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 am

Agree with you guys all the way about Billy Mac's catch phrases. Horrible. "Cash money." Ugh. So unoriginal and uninteresting. And let's not forget one of his favorites "He goes down the lane UNMOLESTED." Embarrassing. :bang:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 am

Lakerjones wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

It's funny Pound, because I thought I was going to hate him . . . But he's really good! I don't really like John Ireland as a personality - I prefer Billy Mac for interviews - but he's a pretty darned good play by play guy.

At first I was cringing when I found out he was taking over the radio play by play, but I am really happy with him. Who knew?

yea, when they announced that he was taking over, my initial thought was 'train wreck' but the few times that i've caught him on the radio, i've been very happy with his play by play...i can actually visualize the action on the court
pound4pound1

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

"Cash Money"

"Unmolested"

pound4pound1

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
kray28 wrote:I don't like any of the TNT color guys. I don't get the Hubie love either. Outside of him, they all seem to hate the Lakers bigtime, and have some type of agenda/axe to grind during the game.

you dont like Kevin Harland and Reggie Miller? LOVE that team

Harlan is play by play...he's great. The only play by play guy I really dislike is Breen, who is a big time tool.

Reggie is a mixed bag. Merely okay. I don't think he hates us, but I always get a strong anti-Kobe vibe from him. Professional jealousy I'm sure.
Last edited by kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kray28

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

yea, when they announced that he was taking over, my initial thought was 'train wreck' but the few times that i've caught him on the radio, i've been very happy with his play by play...i can actually visualize the action on the court

I know - kind of crazy but he's so good at it. Weird. He seems like a natural at it. Makes me wonder if he ever had previous experience with play by play (I kind of doubt it) or if he's just got the talent for it. Whichever, he's doing a fantastic job. And like I said, I'm no fan of his TV personality. But he can really call the play by play. I agree with you that he helps bring that visual into radio, not unlike the GOAT - Chicky Baby with his "World's Eye View."
Last edited by Lakerjones on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby S.R.05 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am

i dont like stu either. i cant stand the conversations he makes up for players

and then kobe said, ill knock that down every time
and then pau said, oh yeah kobe, knock that down
and then kobe said, ok pau, ill knock that down
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 pm

NO WAY.... Stu isn't the best color guy in the business, but he isn't a Homer... He calls it like it is.

You don't know how lucky we are to have him... Try NBA league pass & listen to some of the garbage that other teams have as commentators.
LakerFanIam

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:03 pm

mychal thompson is terrible, typical homer

ireland is good enough, not Spero but good enough... i just get tired of hearing his voice sometimes (he does TWC TV AND PBP AND has a daily radio show)

and whenever i have a choice between LakersTV and National Broadcast i choose tnt/espn because 1. breath of fresh air and 2. they just have better coverage on both teams in general (ex: the coach interviews etc)... and for the neutral halftime/postgame analysis

the only national commentators i cant stand are Fratello (especially when hes with stockton, YAWN), doris burke, and mark jackson/tom tolbert when they were there... every1 else is pretty good
i get tired of Breen sometimes with his corporate-like views ("oh thats GOTTA be a suspension", always defending the refs) and his random extended periods of silence
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby dj vitus on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Same here. I'll listen to Stu over TNT any day and all day. Not that Stu is the greatest. He does sound a little condescending from time to time, but he is fair. I guess listening to one guy for many, many, many years in a row can make anyone jump off a bridge. Except for Chick.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:15 pm

KJ MonK wrote:mychal thompson is terrible, typical homer

ireland is good enough, not Spero but good enough... i just get tired of hearing his voice sometimes (he does TWC TV AND PBP AND has a daily radio show)

and whenever i have a choice between LakersTV and National Broadcast i choose tnt/espn because 1. breath of fresh air and 2. they just have better coverage on both teams in general (ex: the coach interviews etc)... and for the neutral halftime/postgame analysis

the only national commentators i cant stand are Fratello (especially when hes with stockton, YAWN), doris burke, and mark jackson/tom tolbert when they were there... every1 else is pretty good
i get tired of Breen sometimes with his corporate-like views ("oh thats GOTTA be a suspension", always defending the refs) and his random extended periods of silence

oh dude..Dick Stockton will forever be linked to the days when he did the play by play with Tommy Heinson

i absolutely HATED those two and everytime i hear Stockton, i still get annoyed...during the good ole days of simulcasts, CBS would get muted and we would turn on the radio and listen to Chick and Stu lol
pound4pound1

Postby borri on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Stu is great IMO.

Big Game James is starting to get on my nerves about this "Kobe is maturing and is trusting his teammates better" crap. Nash, Howard, Pau.....he's got some real good players now. Whereas before........all he had who was reliable was Pau and 1.5 years of good healthy Bynum. Before that......NO ONE.

Get a clue James.
borri

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:23 pm

just watch a clippers broadcast and you'll thank god we have stu.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:just watch a clippers broadcast and you'll thank god we have stu.

:man10: :man10: :man10: Now that's definitely true.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:28 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:just watch a clippers broadcast and you'll thank god we have stu.

Mike Smith

/thread...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Agree with you guys all the way about Billy Mac's catch phrases. Horrible. "Cash money." Ugh. So unoriginal and uninteresting. And let's not forget one of his favorites "He goes down the lane UNMOLESTED." Embarrassing. :bang:

I could've sworn I heard him say something about the defense "raping" another player.
nthydro

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:34 pm

nthydro wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Agree with you guys all the way about Billy Mac's catch phrases. Horrible. "Cash money." Ugh. So unoriginal and uninteresting. And let's not forget one of his favorites "He goes down the lane UNMOLESTED." Embarrassing. :bang:

I could've sworn I heard him say something about the defense "raping" another player.

:man3: Really? Now we are into disturbing territory here.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:34 pm

It depends for me. Sometimes Stu is ok, and sometimes he says some things that are so dumb I think my brain powers off for a minute.

He was trying to hard to be the new Chick once Hearn died and so.........now he is still here.

My dad absolutely hates him, it is kind of funny. He always wants Stu to shut up when we watch the game.
The Laker Link

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm

borri wrote:Stu is great IMO.

Big Game James is starting to get on my nerves about this "Kobe is maturing and is trusting his teammates better" crap. Nash, Howard, Pau.....he's got some real good players now. Whereas before........all he had who was reliable was Pau and 1.5 years of good healthy Bynum. Before that......NO ONE.

Get a clue James.

i only listen to James to hear him same 'Metal World Peace' and 'Paul Kasol'
pound4pound1

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

gcclaker wrote:
nthydro wrote:

:man3: Really? Now we are into disturbing territory here.

One of the Laker player got doubled and the ball was stolen if I recall correctly. I think he said something along the line of "He gets raped." Might have been 'raked' but who knows? It's coming from a guy who uses 'unmolested' to describe the game of basketball.
nthydro

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion