I Dont Like Stu Lantz

Re: I Dont Like Stu Lantz

Postby trodgers on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Unmolested is fine. Rape no way.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm

nthydro wrote:
gcclaker wrote:
nthydro wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Agree with you guys all the way about Billy Mac's catch phrases. Horrible. "Cash money." Ugh. So unoriginal and uninteresting. And let's not forget one of his favorites "He goes down the lane UNMOLESTED." Embarrassing. :bang:

I could've sworn I heard him say something about the defense "raping" another player.

:man3: Really? Now we are into disturbing territory here.

One of the Laker player got doubled and the ball was stolen if I recall correctly. I think he said something along the line of "He gets raped." Might have been 'raked' but who knows? It's coming from a guy who uses 'unmolested' to describe the game of basketball.

...probably "raked" which is a common word for stripped. Hearn used to use it a lot.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 pm

I've grown up listening to Stu for the past 20 some years. But I'll be honest. There has been a slow change in his tone over the last few (5 or so) seasons. I don't like listening to him now either. I used to, but something changed. I can't put my finger on it, but I do not like him.
Savory Griddles

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:19 pm

lakerswiz wrote:Tons of announcers use unmolested. It's means unharmed, not disturbed, etc. Society's use of the word molested is what's making you think of touching the no-no zone.

Yeah I know what it means but like you said the word definitely has a negative connotation. It's like using 'gay' to describe someone who's happy. Can you imagine a play by play guy saying "Look at Blake Griffin celebrating. He's so g*y!" :man10:

I'm not a fan of unmolested being used to describe basketball. I'm all for creativity but let's avoid words which can be easily misinterpreted as something inappropriate.
Last edited by nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nthydro

Postby 432J on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:19 pm

seriously?

i love listening to stu. i grew up listening to him and chick do the broadcasts on TV and i've never had an issue with him. i do miss meyers though. idk why but i liked the stu-meyers tandem alot

billy mac on the other hand can get quite annoying. great sports guy but i just dont think this is the gig for him. i'd take him over sunderland any day though. he was just awful

but since 95% of the time i'm listening on the radio i don't get to experience much of stu and billy mac. i can't believe they let spero go though. he was just great. i'm not too big on ireland but he gets the job done for the most part
432J

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:21 pm

My only complaint about Stu is that half the time he sounds like he wants to be anywhere else but at the game. Seems like every other game he's making statements about the contest taking too long, too many stops in the action, the game going on forever -- all referencing that he wants to get outta there. Just seems dumb to me amd comes off as a bit ungrateful of his gig. Other than that he's alright.
Alleyhoops

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:My only complaint about Stu is that half the time he sounds like he wants to be anywhere else but at the game. Seems like every other game he's making statements about the contest taking too long, too many stops in the action, the game going on forever -- all referencing that he wants to get outta there. Just seems dumb to me amd comes off as a bit ungrateful of his gig. Other than that he's alright.

...well, that happens when there is a parade at the free throw line for both teams. There's been constant mention over the years about some bowling tourney he has to play in.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 pm

the thing i really like about stu is that he's not a homer and calls it like it is

which is the way it should be. that's one thing that made chick so great. so many teams these days have play by play guys who are the biggest homers and it's super annoying
432J

Postby trodgers on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:28 pm

nthydro wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:Tons of announcers use unmolested. It's means unharmed, not disturbed, etc. Society's use of the word molested is what's making you think of touching the no-no zone.

Yeah I know what it means but like you said the word definitely has a negative connotation. It's like using 'gay' to describe someone who's happy. Can you imagine a play by play guy saying "Look at Blake Griffin celebrating. He's so g*y!" :man10:

I'm not a fan of unmolested being used to describe basketball. I'm all for creativity but let's avoid words which can be easily misinterpreted as something inappropriate.

I hope you're not offended here, but I think you're just wrong here. "Unmolested" as unbothered/unharmed is perfectly legitimate. It can be said to children, in churches, and in all company. "Molest" in the sexual sense is a much later use of the term, and the original term hasn't lost its meaning or its use. Meanwhile, "rape" is used almost always in the sense of sexual impropriety. When it's used otherwise, it's almost always derivatively from THAT use. So that's why "rape" is a no-no, but "unmolested" is perfectly legit.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby baddmann28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Chick would call it as he sees it, he wasn't a "homer" announcer even though he bled forum blue and gold.

Stu, picked that up from him. He calls a foul a foul, and doesn't whine because a call was made that was questionable.

I'll say this. I live in IL, and during the DTV / Time Warner debacle, all we had were the away teams announcers. Listen to some of these clowns before you bash Stu. Talk about a bunch of whiners, Every call/ non call that doesn't go their way is whined about, and all we heard is how Kobe is a whiner, the Lakers whine, cry etc. Funny when the announcers are crying about everything, lol. The Portland guys were the worst.

Stu is just plain awesome!
baddmann28

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 pm

kray28 wrote:Stu is great...one of the best color guys in the business. Very unbiased too...gives the other team and their players credit when they deserve it, and calls it like he sees it, unlike all the other unabashed homers doing team commentary across the league. Yes, he has his various "Stuisms"...like his penchant for imaginary conversations between players...but it's part of his schtick, and it doesn't bother me because the point he's usually trying to make is usually spot on.

MacDonald on the other hand....

exactly, he has a great deal of knowledge of the game, especially big-men since he runs a big man camp & has for over 20+ years I believe. But mostly when I see something not right, say a spot up shot where you just feel like the player didn't get his feet set right or his legs didn't get enough bounce, a free-throw not in rhythm due to technique, those things I notice a lot & usually say "that's not going in" or "that's money" I know that because I observe, & most of the time Stu points these things out, which I love because he gives a better detailed explanation of it as well.

One of the most important things is that he is not a homer & calls it like he sees it for both sides, that's one rule Chick always had.

Like it was said, he does have his imaginary player conversations, but I don't mind them at all, I kinda make fun of that with friends while watching the game :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 pm

432J wrote:the thing i really like about stu is that he's not a homer and calls it like it is

which is the way it should be. that's one thing that made chick so great. so many teams these days have play by play guys who are the biggest homers and it's super annoying

People talk about Michael Jordan's legacy being untouchable. Well the same can be said about Chick. When he was in his prime and on top of his game nobody could touch him. His description of the game was so vividly detailed that if you closed your eyes you could actually picture what was going on. The pace he went at was amazingly quick. Not to mention his humor and wit. Even during the tailend of his career, when he was fumbling players names, he was still great.
nthydro

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:I've grown up listening to Stu for the past 20 some years. But I'll be honest. There has been a slow change in his tone over the last few (5 or so) seasons. I don't like listening to him now either. I used to, but something changed. I can't put my finger on it, but I do not like him.

for me, there's a certain arrogance that comes across when he talks...and yea, it wasn't like that all the time...only the past few years...before, i didn't get that same vibe from him
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Alcindor on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:40 pm

D.B. Cooper wrote:Not as bad as cash money, fresh snow from outside.

yeah you'd think it'd be a high % shot that would justify the terms cash money & fresh snow
Alcindor

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Did it start when he got into it with Joel Myers?
D.B. Cooper

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:48 pm

i love stu
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm sure Stu has a certain sense of "superiority" over Sunderland, Myers, and now Billy Mac, which he never had with Chick.
nthydro

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 pm

^^^ppl probably stopped liking stu once chick died, cause before that he could barely get a word in

his "arrogance" comes off as more dry wit and wisdom to me

sidenote: the other night Mike Smith was all over Matt Barnes like "LOOK AT THIS GUY, HE DOES NOTHING BUT WIN YOU BALL GAMES" but i swear when he was a Laker, Lawler complimented him on his hustle and Smith mumbled something about his off the court antics/attitude... surprised he has lasted this long with his constant hyperbole, even Michael Eaves looks at him a little :man11: during the post game interviews
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:54 pm

and he should feel superior, for us at least

Stu has a smilie :stunoice: on the lakers forum

All Joel Meyers has is a ScrotalSack

thoughts on Dave Miller?
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
KJ MonK

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:56 pm

He use to be really condescending towards Joel. I noticed he's lot better with Macdonald.

My only real problem with stu is that he's extremely repetitive. He says the same thing in each situation. If you watch enough Laker games, you'll know what he'll say in any given situation.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:02 pm

KJ MonK wrote:and he should feel superior, for us at least

thoughts on Dave Miller?

oh lordy, Dave Miller...he makes me miss Jack Haley
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby John3:16 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:My only real problem with stu is that he's extremely repetitive. He says the same thing in each situation. If you watch enough Laker games, you'll know what he'll say in any given situation.

Absolutely right.

I like him, because he's 100X better then the other teams announcers. Flaws and all.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Everytime someone brings up what irks them about Stu, I always ask the same old question. Have you listened to the color commentators for the other teams?
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
KJ MonK wrote:and he should feel superior, for us at least

thoughts on Dave Miller?

oh lordy, Dave Miller...he makes me miss Jack Haley

that Haley's Comment animation at halftime that showed Jacks head on a comet flying across the screen was comical
@KJ_MonK

- Jerry Buss
KJ MonK

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:12 pm

revgen wrote:Everytime someone brings up what irks them about Stu, I always ask the same old question. Have you listened to the color commentators for the other teams?

yes i have..i had the NBA package a couple of years ago and i've heard some real crap out there

just because Stu's better than them is not a legit reason for me to like the guy

it's like 'i like Richard Ramirez...he didn't kill as many people as Hitler'
pound4pound1

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion