Re: I Dont Like Stu Lantz

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
KJ MonK wrote:and he should feel superior, for us at least

Stu has a smilie :stunoice: on the lakers forum

All Joel Meyers has is a ScrotalSack

thoughts on Dave Miller?

oh lordy, Dave Miller...he makes me miss Jack Haley

that Haley's Comment animation at halftime that showed Jacks head on a comet flying across the screen was comical
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:12 pm

revgen wrote:Everytime someone brings up what irks them about Stu, I always ask the same old question. Have you listened to the color commentators for the other teams?

yes i have..i had the NBA package a couple of years ago and i've heard some real crap out there

just because Stu's better than them is not a legit reason for me to like the guy

it's like 'i like Richard Ramirez...he didn't kill as many people as Hitler'
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:12 pm

I use to not like him bc of how condescending he was, but he's actually kind of funny sometimes (usually when he's not trying to be). And his lack of bias makes him likable as well.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:13 pm

KJ MonK wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

thoughts on Dave Miller?

that Haley's Comment animation at halftime that showed Jacks head on a comet flying across the screen was comical

Haley: 'you wanna know the reason why the Lakers are being out rebounded? I'LL tell you why"

i would shake my head every time he did that LOL
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby ramsay13 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Yes i cant stand that guy either. Annoying as heck!
ramsay13

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:17 pm

"Hey, you never win the battle with Mr. Floor"

"[insert fictional conversation]"

"Players always jump off one leg and you lose your balance"

"Ive broken my nose a million times, but theres nothing like a back injury"

"when players airball, they usually overcompensate and its long on the next one"

"i have a bowling tournament to go to" (he actually switched it up on Sunday)

"Splaaash"

"Noice"

*just a chuckle*

at least most of the Stu-isms involve actual analysis and not random stuff like "WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU"
im sure we'd be irked by all the color guys' catchphrases if we had to listen to them call 82 games a year too (like how we know Lawler's and Breen's)

most of the time he says these things are when they're going to a commercial break anyway
Last edited by KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
KJ MonK

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
KJ MonK wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

thoughts on Dave Miller?

Haley: 'you wanna know the reason why the Lakers are being out rebounded? I'LL tell you why"

i would shake my head every time he did that LOL

"ITS CAUSE THEY NEED CARLOS BOOZER THATS WHY"
best thing Haley ever did
@KJ_MonK

- Jerry Buss
KJ MonK

Postby Tragic on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Completely disagree. Stu is an amazing commentator
Tragic

Stu is the best

Postby Juronimo on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

I have to agree with you guys on Dave Miller, he is horrible. Hopefully Big Shot Rob or anyone, it could be a sock puppet for all I care, will replace him.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby GinoDB on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Stu is the one thing Laker haters don't mind , he calls games fairly and I think its great
GinoDB

Postby raviator on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:53 pm

revgen wrote:Everytime someone brings up what irks them about Stu, I always ask the same old question. Have you listened to the color commentators for the other teams?

I almost want to skip watching the road games in Portland. Those announcers are the absolute worst! I just end up turning the sound down some.
I personally don't have a problem with Stu. He's part of the team with Chick that made listening to Laker games so enjoyable. For me Stu makes Mac bearable to listen to. Especially with the "Fooooty call!" Really?! After Chick, any other announcer seems just....not quite good enough. But we are talking about Chick Hearn, greatest of all time.
raviator

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:57 pm

one thing about dave miller is that he's very enthusiastic (loves his job) and knows the game, i just wish he wouldn't be so annoying about it lol... rapping and such, molesting Duhon during a play demonstration - looks like his breath stinks too... i wonder if thats what the producers want

ironic thing is he has the qualities u want in an analyst

sidenote: weirdest part about TWC is seeing what these radio voices and paper columnists actually look like in studio

sidenote 2: i liked Sunderland
@KJ_MonK

- Jerry Buss
KJ MonK

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 pm

KJ MonK wrote:one thing about dave miller is that he's very enthusiastic (loves his job) and knows the game, i just wish he wouldn't be so annoying about it lol... rapping and such, molesting Duhon during a play demonstration - looks like his breath stinks too... i wonder if thats what the producers want

ironic thing is he has the qualities u want in an analyst

sidenote: weirdest part about TWC is seeing what these radio voices and paper columnists actually look like in studio

sidenote 2: i liked Sunderland

same here...i wish they would have kept Sunderland...he was fun to listen to...i think he does volleyball now or something
pound4pound1

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:12 pm

I don't like this thread
LTLakerFan

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:12 pm

SAY WHAT!!!!!!!
Thenextgreat

Postby MadMax on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Tragic wrote:Completely disagree. Stu is an amazing commentator
MadMax

Postby ThizGuy83 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:05 pm

i like stu and lantz... there a couple of good fellas :tongue1:
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby quartzcharm on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm surprised that there are as many out there that don't like Stu as there are. I thought I was the only one.
quartzcharm

Postby Harrison5394 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Stu is garbage. They need to bring John Ireland and Michael Thompson up from radio ASAP.

The Lakers current TV team is probably the worst combo they've ever had.
Harrison5394

Postby 432J on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 pm

yeah stu sucks

bring back paul sunderland and pair him up with billy mac

good god imagine that
:toilet3:
432J

Postby Forward Three on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:55 pm

I've always been a fan of the Lakers commentators precisely because they've historically been very well trained to keep things somewhat in perspective and fair to the other team. But since Billy Mac replaced Meyers, I feel like the commentator duo has taken a turn towards homerism and annoying traits that make most local broadcasts insufferable.

Still, it's hard to hate Stu if for no other reason than for how much of a relic to a bygone era he is. For color commentating in LA, I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone who could or would do a better job
Forward Three

Postby TIME on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:00 pm

brandonr2001 wrote:i like stu and lantz... there a couple of good fellas :tongue1:

Winner winner chicken dinner!
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Samene on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:49 pm

I think Stu is fine in small doses. Bad play-by-play partners these recent years have amplified his role and he has trouble filling that spotlight. Back when Chick was at the mic Stu stuck to his knitting and was ok. He has improved a lot since then but the demands on him have outpaced his growth.

He does, btw, eventually let go of the repetitive phrases. He used to say something about 'moving your feet' about 20 times per game and he has backed off that one.

Stu has some very insightful comments about how bigs should play. His recent mention of 'jumping even when you can't get the rebound' to avoid the other player coming down on you was an example. Unfortunately he seems to think we don't know that shoving with your hands draws more fouls than a hip check :freak2: If he had a stronger partner he wouldn't feel the need to reach so much - he could say the insightful stuff and omit the dead obvious crud.

Lately Stu has been talking as if its his job to coach the other team's bigs. Tips on how those opponents can play better and 'what they need to do.' Perhaps he has to be careful giving tips on the Laker bigs because it will get back to them and weird the relationship. Either way, he has been coming across as if we want to hear what the bad guys 'need to do' to beat us.

Anyway, I'll keep him if only for the occasional personal stories related to his old days with Chick. I used to go to the forum and stop by to talk to Chick after the game (he sat in a perch halfway up the stands in the middle of the fans so you could do that then). Anybody who can tell chick stories can sit in the second chair on Laker broadcasts as far as I'm concerned.
Samene

Postby DMK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I like stu alot actually. Does he tend to get annoying? No more then anyone else.

Besides.... he makes up for it with my favorite catchphrase . "NOOIICEE"! :stunoice: :jam2:

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Sirron on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Phil XI wrote:Blasphemer
:man10: :bow:

I think similar. He's part of the fabric of being a Laker fan at this point. He's one of the only ones that has been around since the "good 'ol days", and it's awesome to have a long time announcer like that. Not a homer, and I'm good with that. Our announcers get more compliments from opposing fans than probably any other announcing team.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion