I Dont Like Stu Lantz

I Dont Like Stu Lantz

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:57 am

...i rarely make threads but yea, Stu annoys the hell out of me nowadays...i dont know if its just me but his condescending tone has just gotten too much...i find myself saying STFU almost twice as much during Lakers games...this is even when we're winning and nothing bothers me....except Stu

the only reason i tolerated Mr. Know-It-All is because he reminded me of the good ole days with Chick...i wish Kobe would death stare Stu and we get Reggie Miller instead

if there is a Stu Sucks As5, please merge...i didn't know where else to put this

/rant
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Re: I Dont Like Stu Lantz

Postby Phil XI on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:59 am

Blasphemer
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

I Don't Like This Thread

Postby Juronimo on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:04 am

I couldn't disagree more. Stu is great. I really don't see how anyone could dislike him.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:07 am

lakerswiz wrote:I love Stu Lantz so incredibly much. I have no idea how someone could not like him.

Go listen to Portland or Mike Smith and Lawler talk for an hour or two. Then tell me you don't like Stu.

i didnt say he was bottom of the barrel...i just can't stand listening to him anymore...if TNT/ESPN is broadcasting, i'm listening to the other play by play team
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby TIME on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:12 am

I like Stu Lantz.

There, I just canceled out your unlike with my like. :tongue1:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:12 am

TIME wrote:I like Stu Lantz.

There, I just canceled out your unlike with my like. :tongue1:

bring back Keith Erickson :jam2:
pound4pound1

Postby quartzcharm on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 am

I have to agree with the OP on this one. I can't stand listening to him sometimes either. Not to say he's the worst, but just some of the comments he makes. Ex. Kobe makes a shot and then Stu will say something like "And Kobe says {insert quotation here}."

I know, I'll probably get roasted for saying such a thing, but its just my opinion.
quartzcharm

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:16 am

Interesting I guess.

Im not one of Stu's greatest supporters but he does a great job for the Lakers. Yes he can get a bit preachy at times but he is fair with players from other teams and he isn't a homer for ours. I appreciate he gives more than just "OMG We The Best" like some announcers do. We all have our opinions but as an announcer Stu is one of the tops.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

pound... Sometimes you have these things that eat at you inside until you can't take it anymore. Yours is Stu. LOL. It happens. Well, having said that...he doesn't bother me at all. Lantz does get repetitive but has established his own catch phrases...a couple or so.

There are some horrible commentators out there which are already mentioned. Stacey King is one with Chicago. Seriously...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:21 am

Stu is great...one of the best color guys in the business. Very unbiased too...gives the other team and their players credit when they deserve it, and calls it like he sees it, unlike all the other unabashed homers doing team commentary across the league. Yes, he has his various "Stuisms"...like his penchant for imaginary conversations between players...but it's part of his schtick, and it doesn't bother me because the point he's usually trying to make is usually spot on.

MacDonald on the other hand....
kray28

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:23 am

Not as bad as cash money, fresh snow from outside.
D.B. Cooper

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:23 am

kray28 wrote:MacDonald on the other hand....

Dorky? :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:24 am

Stu is my favorite color commentator along with Hubie and Kerr

love his stu-isms

and hey, billy mac has a reputation for dating the most attractive women (according to John Ireland & Mychal Thompson)
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25 am

kray28 wrote:Stu is great...one of the best color guys in the business. Very unbiased too...gives the other team and their players credit when they deserve it, and calls it like he sees it, unlike all the other unabashed homers doing team commentary across the league. Yes, he has his various "Stuisms"...like his penchant for imaginary conversations between players...but it's part of his schtick, and it doesn't bother me because the point he's usually trying to make is usually spot on.

MacDonald on the other hand....

Maybe it's Bill that's magnifying my Stu dislike...once the got rid of Joel Myers, perhaps, i channeled that towards Stu...i dont know

it's like when i hear a game on TNT, its music to my ears...breath of fresh air
pound4pound1

Postby Finwë on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:26 am

BOOOO!
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:26 am

gcclaker wrote:

i cant believe we dropped the ball on Spiro...he would have made Stu tolerable for me again
pound4pound1

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 am

gcclaker wrote:

I think he's a likable personality, but nothing he says is of much use to me. He lacks insight into the game and when he tries to bring up stats, it tends to annoy me, not sure why, just get this feeling in my gut that him bringing "stupid statistic x" is going to jinx somebody.

Other times he gets kind of whiny in his delivery...and I find it quite irritating. I find myself tuning him out for the most part.
kray28

Postby Juronimo on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 am

KJ MonK wrote:Stu is my favorite color commentator along with Hubie and Kerr

love his stu-isms

and hey, billy mac has a reputation for dating the most attractive women (according to John Ireland & Mychal Thompson)

I'm definitely a big Hubie fan, he's my favorite color commentator on the big networks. He always gives thorough basketball analysis on everything happening in the game in detail. He doesn't go off tangent like some many of these other guys do when they start rambling on about stuff not related to the game. Hubie keeps it on basketball and what's going on with the game and explains it in detail. I appreciate that.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby trodgers on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 am

Really like Stu. And Mychal Thompson.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:30 am

Compared to other analysts, Stu is extremely tolerable. Listen to a Clipper's broadcast and you'll appreciate him more. Sure he gets annoying at times but at least he tries to hide his homerism for the team (besides his man crush on Kobe lol). That's more than you can say for 90% of the other analysts. Another thing I like about Stu is he doesn't go off tangent too often. I remember back in the NBC days idiots like Bill Walton and his partner (Steve whatever) would always talk about nonsense BS that had no relevance to the game.

Stu may not be the best, but he's certainly better than a lot of his peers. Billy Mac on the other hand.. :bang:
Last edited by nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
nthydro

Postby hdtvset on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 am

I also don't like Stu :man3:
hdtvset

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 am

I don't like any of the TNT color guys. I don't get the Hubie love either. Outside of him, they all seem to hate the Lakers bigtime, and have some type of agenda/axe to grind during the game.

It makes most TNT broadcasts a world of suck for Laker fans.
kray28

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:37 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

i cant believe we dropped the ball on Spiro...he would have made Stu tolerable for me again

Pound - I know you're not alone, I've heard a lot of people over the years complain about Stu. I like Stu a lot as I'm so used to him. He was definitely Chick's best color guy because he was the only one who could actually get a word in that he would put up with. I like your Keith Erikson reference - :man10:

But yeah, it's a shame that Spiro bailed on us for New York. He was the guy they were grooming for the job. The gig was his but he wanted that Knicks job. Bummer.

Billy Mac sucks. I can't stand him. He was fine as a post game or pre-game personality, but play by play? Give me a freaking break. I think he's worse than Paul Sunderland, and I wasn't a fan of his.

I really liked Joel but I preferred him with Mychal Thompson as the two had a really good rapport on the radio. Joel and Stu never got along so they were annoying with all their bickering. Stu gets along better with Billy Mac, but "Fresh Snow" is just not qualified for this gig, IMO.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 am

kray28 wrote:I don't like any of the TNT color guys. I don't get the Hubie love either. Outside of him, they all seem to hate the Lakers bigtime, and have some type of agenda/axe to grind during the game.

It makes most TNT broadcasts a world of suck for Laker fans.

I like Hubie and a lot of the other former coach turned analysts (like JVG). Kevin Harlan and Hubie Brown is probably my second fav combo after Chicken Stew :freak2:
nthydro

Postby gcclaker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 am

kray28 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

I think he's a likable personality, but nothing he says is of much use to me. He lacks insight into the game and when he tries to bring up stats, it tends to annoy me, not sure why, just get this feeling in my gut that him bringing "stupid statistic x" is going to jinx somebody.

Other times he gets kind of whiny in his delivery...and I find it quite irritating. I find myself tuning him out for the most part.

McDonald's enthusiasm can wear on people. He's like THAT kid at the park. Then there's his "Jack In The Box" promo pitches where he drags out the last word? Annoying as hell. I did like him with his Philosophy 101 pre-game shows with Jackson. It was kitschy but he was in his element.

I'm in the minority but I didn't mind Myers. He had that low, monotone voice that was throwback to old-time radio. Nowadays it's about being catchy, loud and grandstanding.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion