Doomsday: Fan reaction of other teams in here!

Postby KGB on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:21 am

kobejon wrote:Another Cavalier fan
Funny, I don't see that much difference between us and the Lakers. If the Lakers do reach the finals, which seems far more likely now, I expect them to be playing us.

People spend too much time trashing our supporting cast because we look bad without LeBron. They aren't built and coached to do well without LeBron, they are built to do well with LeBron. And lately we've been spectacular.

Match us up when healthy with the Lakers and each team has their advantages, but I'm not about to concede anything. Not to the Lakers, not to the Celtics.
:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

IF WE GET TO THE FINALS IT IS A WIN WIN SITUATION BECAUSE WE WILL GET TO SHUT UP ANY TEAM WE FACE
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby OchoX3 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:26 am

8got81_24gets101 wrote:
kobejon wrote:Another Cavalier fan
Funny, I don't see that much difference between us and the Lakers. If the Lakers do reach the finals, which seems far more likely now, I expect them to be playing us.

People spend too much time trashing our supporting cast because we look bad without LeBron. They aren't built and coached to do well without LeBron, they are built to do well with LeBron. And lately we've been spectacular.

Match us up when healthy with the Lakers and each team has their advantages, but I'm not about to concede anything. Not to the Lakers, not to the Celtics.[/quote]
:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

IF WE GET TO THE FINALS IT IS A WIN WIN SITUATION BECAUSE WE WILL GET TO SHUT UP ANY TEAM WE FACE

:man10: :man10: :man10: Drunk Cavs fans are funny.
OchoX3

Postby KGB on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 am

mavoretto wrote:
scheven wrote:
mavoretto wrote:
8got81_24gets101 wrote:
mavoretto wrote:
LakerShowtime2008 wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:Kate Faber treatment for Miami :jam2: :man10:

OHHH HELLLLLL NOOOO :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

Will Gasol be in line-up in first game vs Miami ?
That's even scary to think about. Were talking about a potential 60 point win.

Better 69, so we can beat the most deficit in histoty of NBA — 68 points.

lol 69 is only fitting with the raping we're gonna do :man10:

c'mon, it is gonna be +20...
That's a underestimate for the rebounding advantage.
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:41 am

You know what I have found interesting? I have watched ESPN First take (yesterday and today), Around the Horn, PTI and Jim Rome is Burning (all yesterday) and only 1 (JRIB) mentioned the Pau trade at all. ESPN first take has done 2 hours of Superbowl stuff, a little Mike Vick, Bob Knight , Indy 500, Some kid getting superbowl tickets from Mickelson, weather or not the Giants should have a parade in NY :man3: and some college hoops stuff today not a single mention of the Lakers.

It amazes me sometime how they go out of their way not to mention the Lakers or Kobe. They will show them if they are showing highlights of another player though. Any NBA player they are focused on will be shown with highlights against LA. Its pretty pathetic the way they work over there.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby epak on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:46 am

To be fair, the Superbowl was a huge story and great game.
The Bob Knight thing was out of nowhere so they had to talk about it.
The Gasol thing was being talked about all last friday though.
And ESPN . com is all about Gasol.
So they've done an ok job about it.
Jerry West:
"You give the same amount of shots to everybody else and they're not making that many, I know it. Players are jealous of greatness. Kobe is a unique talent and a unique person." (after Kobe's 81 points)
epak

Postby jellyroll49 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:You know what I have found interesting? I have watched ESPN First take (yesterday and today), Around the Horn, PTI and Jim Rome is Burning (all yesterday) and only 1 (JRIB) mentioned the Pau trade at all. ESPN first take has done 2 hours of Superbowl stuff, a little Mike Vick, Bob Knight , Indy 500, Some kid getting superbowl tickets from Mickelson, weather or not the Giants should have a parade in NY :man3: and some college hoops stuff today not a single mention of the Lakers.

It amazes me sometime how they go out of their way not to mention the Lakers or Kobe. They will show them if they are showing highlights of another player though. Any NBA player they are focused on will be shown with highlights against LA. Its pretty pathetic the way they work over there.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

i notice it to a certain extent, but it really dusnt bother me anymore. i much rather read an insightful article on here than listen to sum shmoe yap about things i already knew. i dont think its as big of a conspiracy as u may think it is, cuz i think they have more things to do than shaft the lakers.
"It's not even close," says one Western Conference scout. "The difference between Kobe and LeBron is like [the one between] a Maserati and a Volvo."

:pipe: = bud enhanced post
jellyroll49

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 am

excuses excuses

LINK

"Merry Christmas, L.A."

That sentiment, voiced by Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson upon hearing about the Pau Gasol trade, has been resonating around the NBA.

While just about everyone expected the Memphis Grizzlies to trade Gasol before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, no one predicted it would be this soon or for so little in return. Instead of established players, the Los Angeles Lakers gave the Grizzlies only a package of expiring contracts, draft picks and marginal prospects for Gasol.

While most GMs weren't publicly venting their frustration on having missed out on Gasol, plenty were willing to do so privately.

The excuses ranged from blaming Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace to blaming their owners to … well … pointing the finger in just about every direction but their own.

One GM I spoke to asserted he had a better deal to offer, claiming that Wallace didn't return his calls.

Another said that just two weeks ago, Wallace was asking for twice as much in return. If this GM had known the Grizzlies were lowering the asking price on Gasol, he would've made another offer, he said.

A Western Conference GM said the Grizzlies' timing threw him off: "Big trades like this normally don't happen until after the All-Star break. Who would've guessed that the Grizzlies would've jumped the gun and taken such a lopsided deal three weeks before the trade deadline?"

Another prominent GM said his owner vetoed any trade that would've pushed his team into luxury-tax territory.

Sour grapes, anyone?

From the sob stories, two themes emerged:

One, a lot of GMs are more than a little jealous that the Lakers, of all teams, landed Gasol -- especially given the price tag.

Second, it sounds like the Grizzlies didn't walk away with the best deal available.

Given that, we have to ask: Which other teams could have landed Gasol, and what could they have offered?

As a starting point, let's look at the basic parameters of the deal the Grizzlies accepted:

• About $11 million in expiring contracts (Kwame Brown and Aaron McKie)
• A prospect drafted in the middle of the first round in 2007 (Javaris Crittenton)
• A second-round pick from the same draft (Marc Gasol)
• Two first-round picks, likely to be in the No. 20 to 30 range (2008 and 2010)

Which teams could have matched or exceeded that deal? As it turns out, plenty of teams could have.

Here's a look at 10 teams that missed the boat on Gasol (in alphabetical order):

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:24 am

kobejon wrote:CAVS FORUM... LOL

They dont have Kwame Outty. Even if they do, it will be another 30 days until they can get him, and he sucks to begin with. Gasol or no Gasol we will still own the Lakers.

OK...put bron in the west he'll be an unknown player u know why? because KOBE AND THE LAKERS OWN THE WEST AND SOON THE NBA
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby wrathletik on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:33 am

mavoretto wrote:Celts vs LAL — we are doomed=(( don't want even think about it=) they will rip us into million pieces...

Who let the Smelltics fan in?
wrathletik

Postby Pau Power on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:38 am

KBFS 24 wrote:
kobejon wrote:CAVS FORUM... LOL

They dont have Kwame Outty. Even if they do, it will be another 30 days until they can get him, and he sucks to begin with. Gasol or no Gasol we will still own the Lakers.

OK...put bron in the west he'll be an unknown player u know why? because KOBE AND THE LAKERS OWN THE WEST AND SOON THE NBA

Please don't post garbage like that. Lebron is a GREAT player no matter where he plays. Only Kobe can be considered better than him. It's very close between the two. Hate the Cavs? fine but discredit Lebron? thats wrong.
Pau Power

Postby Legendary on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:45 am

These are quotes from fans of other teams who went to the Grizzlies board (RealGM) to weigh in on the trade:

I hate you for this trade. How could you possibly give this kind of gift to the Lakers of all teams. I hope you finish in last place for ever and lose the lottery.

Is West still the GM? cause if this was a Laker deal -it was even worse than the Celtic deal this summer.

Hey at least you'll have a young exciting team to work with and should be ready to contend by the time the next Lakers dynasty ends.

Wow, are the Nuggets too late to get in on the going out of business sale? How about Rudy Gay for Von Wafer?

Your GM should be put before a firing squad. Can we have Navarro back? We are prepared to offer you guys a game worn Arenas Jersey...probably even a Caron Butler bobblehead just to make it fair.

Grizzlies fan disgust in full effect here over the rapage:

I'm going to say this is easily the worst trade in franchise history and is the worst trade that I have seen. (could be the worst all time)... This trade was a joke and our GM should be disgraced and pelted with refreshments during the game. YES, this makes me not want to ever watch the Grizzlies again....but I will....because I'm a die hard. But, not this year.
Last edited by Legendary on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legendary

Postby jellyroll49 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:50 am

the grizz have actual fans? living, breathing, human beings, that watch this team by choice?

NO F'N WAY! :man10:
"It's not even close," says one Western Conference scout. "The difference between Kobe and LeBron is like [the one between] a Maserati and a Volvo."

:pipe: = bud enhanced post
jellyroll49

Postby Legendary on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:55 am

jellyroll49 wrote:the grizz have actual fans? living, breathing, human beings, that watch this team by choice?

NO F'N WAY! :man10:

They DID have fans. That bandwagon is out of commission indefinitely after this trade.
Legendary

Postby JoeBlow on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:56 am

LakerShowtime2008 wrote:excuses excuses

LINK

Most of the ten options ESPN's Chad Ford lists have all kinds of ifs and unknowns. Anything for the media to hate on the Lakers, eh? I don't remember them making lists of better deals we should've taken over Miami when we traded Shaq.

One problem with the article is that he clearly ignores what the Memphis GM said about sending Gasol out... that he is happy that he is on a team that gives him a chance to win (although he doesn't care specifically for the Lakers).

When a franchise player does a good job for your team but it is time to leave after a long run, you see in sports sometimes that the front office wants to hook you up. We saw it with the KG deal.

With that in mind, it would be terrible for Memphis to put Gasol in many of those situations listed: The Nets are falling apart, the Heat are beyond hope, Atlanta is"ok" for an lowly Eastern Conference team, and the Clippers are.,... the Clippers.Take all those off the table right there.

As for the others, Chicago won't pay the salary tax, so that should not have been mentioned. And what other teams ALSO don't want a big salary I wonder?

The Warrior deal is decent, but with the Lakers he gets two super cheap young players in M.Gasol and Crittenton, plus TWO 1st rounders. That is worth more than Brandan Wright and one first rounder.

The Orlando deal undervalues the potential with Crittenton when compared to Redick. That is the main problem I have with that suggestion. But with that said, it is so close that you can say, well why not deal with the Lakers?

The Suns suggestion was just stupid. Why would Memphis take only Shawn Marion and Atlanta's first round pick? Marion isn't guaranteed to opt out, which is the main thing Memphis wants in cap room. And Crittonton, Marc Gasol (both super cheap but with potential) and two first rounders from the Lakers is far better than just one first rounder.

The Spurs suggestion is somewhat sound IF the Spurs were willing to go deep into the salary tax range (we don't know).Also, Critton and M. Gasol is >>>> than Ian Mahinmi (the draft picks are equal). But none of this matters... if the sportswriter were paying attention, Popovich already promised his team that he won't break them up after the championship they just won. Horry and Brent Barry were key bench players in that run and Popovich will keep to his promise.

The Raptor deal is dumb from Memphis perspective. Chad Ford:says this is why Memphis does it:

The Grizzlies would not have cleared a lot of cap room, but they would have received some very interesting young players, especially Bargnani (the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft) and Moon, an older rookie who is likely to be a first team All-Rookie selection this year.

These actually are the reasons why they WOULDN'T take the deal... they want to clear a TON of cap space and get young talent (and picks) for little cost in the process.

The Lakers deal is not outdone substantially by any of the deals mentioned here when all the factors involved are considered.
NBA fan critical of the Suns getting Shaq:
"The Suns should have traded Shawn Marion for Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Santa could have provided the size while the Easter Bunny has always been a quick defender. "
JoeBlow

Postby Psychobroker on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:13 pm

borri wrote:Some more from phxsuns.net:

What if they waive Brown? We should keep an eye on it..

Bynum,Gasol,Odom

Diaw,Marion,Amare

Size difference anyone?

You mean other than their small forward being bigger than our center?

Well, that's all folks. There's no freaking way we can deal with the Lakers when they get Bynum back. This is gonna be a long, slow slide into oblivion, like watching a grandparent with Alzheimers.

Bill Paxton's coming back.

we's some freaked out mofos this afternoon.

um.... i need a drink.

LOL this is some classic ish. I LOVE it! Ah, reminds me of the draft-day trade of Vlade for Kobe and the Shaq deal shortly thereafter. It's GREAT to be a Laker fan, and going though the dark days and summer trials/tribulations make this even sweeter. :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Psychobroker

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:26 pm

OchoX3 wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:Dan didn't say anything bad about the Lakers. :man3:

Have you ever heard him on NBA TV?

I haven't, but he certainly had nothing but praise for us right there. I'm actually surprised that The Suns announcers said something with intelligence. That they actually said Kobe will get this guy open looks all day and will make him better is a shocker to me, not often you hear others acknowledge that Kobe does in fact make those around him better, especially big men down low who get lots of open dunks either directly or indirectly swining the ball around from out of a Kobe double team. At least these guys weren't ignorant and said something stupid like, 'Pau's not gonna get touches like he did in Memphis, Kobe's selfish', like I'd expect them to say.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby png247 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:09 pm

good stuff, JoeBlow.
png247

Postby kobejon on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:31 pm

Who can forget about Clipper fans?

eh. Gasol is soft as hell and has been beasted everytime he goes againts elite competition. This just puts them at the top of the pack of the middle teams.

LOL
A.T.G.R.O.O
kobejon

Postby Najim on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:15 pm

JoeBlow wrote:
LakerShowtime2008 wrote:excuses excuses

LINK

Most of the ten options ESPN's Chad Ford lists have all kinds of ifs and unknowns. Anything for the media to hate on the Lakers, eh? I don't remember them making lists of better deals we should've taken over Miami when we traded Shaq.

One problem with the article is that he clearly ignores what the Memphis GM said about sending Gasol out... that he is happy that he is on a team that gives him a chance to win (although he doesn't care specifically for the Lakers).

When a franchise player does a good job for your team but it is time to leave after a long run, you see in sports sometimes that the front office wants to hook you up. We saw it with the KG deal.

With that in mind, it would be terrible for Memphis to put Gasol in many of those situations listed: The Nets are falling apart, the Heat are beyond hope, Atlanta is"ok" for an lowly Eastern Conference team, and the Clippers are.,... the Clippers.Take all those off the table right there.

As for the others, Chicago won't pay the salary tax, so that should not have been mentioned. And what other teams ALSO don't want a big salary I wonder?

The Warrior deal is decent, but with the Lakers he gets two super cheap young players in M.Gasol and Crittenton, plus TWO 1st rounders. That is worth more than Brandan Wright and one first rounder.

The Orlando deal undervalues the potential with Crittenton when compared to Redick. That is the main problem I have with that suggestion. But with that said, it is so close that you can say, well why not deal with the Lakers?

The Suns suggestion was just stupid. Why would Memphis take only Shawn Marion and Atlanta's first round pick? Marion isn't guaranteed to opt out, which is the main thing Memphis wants in cap room. And Crittonton, Marc Gasol (both super cheap but with potential) and two first rounders from the Lakers is far better than just one first rounder.

The Spurs suggestion is somewhat sound IF the Spurs were willing to go deep into the salary tax range (we don't know).Also, Critton and M. Gasol is >>>> than Ian Mahinmi (the draft picks are equal). But none of this matters... if the sportswriter were paying attention, Popovich already promised his team that he won't break them up after the championship they just won. Horry and Brent Barry were key bench players in that run and Popovich will keep to his promise.

The Raptor deal is dumb from Memphis perspective. Chad Ford:says this is why Memphis does it:

The Grizzlies would not have cleared a lot of cap room, but they would have received some very interesting young players, especially Bargnani (the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft) and Moon, an older rookie who is likely to be a first team All-Rookie selection this year.

These actually are the reasons why they WOULDN'T take the deal... they want to clear a TON of cap space and get young talent (and picks) for little cost in the process.

The Lakers deal is not outdone substantially by any of the deals mentioned here when all the factors involved are considered.

great reply. Still, I think the article has some really good value...

it shows that for all the gripe about how the Lakers just pulled an absolute coup, and that the Grizzlies GM & Owner should be tarred and feathered, it shows that a sincere studied attempt by a knowledgeable writer to produce a better trade for the Grizzlies ended up with a long list of crap 6 for 1's (which would mean cutting existing or incoming players anyways), deals that were only marginally better than the Lakers deal, or deals that would put unwilling owners into the luxury tax.

it shows that it's really hard to trade a superstar for anything close to equal value, and should serve as a humble reminder of what almost happened to the Lakers this summer.

and lol at the Suns deal... when Marion saw that there was no way he could get a contract that matched his current contract, he would have re-upped and gotten paid for one more year.

EDIT: Another note, that article has 271 comments as of 1pm Tuesday the 5th. Even for ESPN, that's absurdly high... this trade has clearly created an uproar around the league. as if GM's needed more reasons not to deal with us fairly in the future...
Last edited by Najim on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Last Stand Has Begun...
Najim

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:18 pm

kobejon wrote:Who can forget about Clipper fans?

eh. Gasol is soft as hell and has been beasted everytime he goes againts elite competition. This just puts them at the top of the pack of the middle teams.

LOL

Delusional much? :man10:
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:35 pm

wrathletik wrote:
mavoretto wrote:Celts vs LAL — we are doomed=(( don't want even think about it=) they will rip us into million pieces...

Who let the Smelltics fan in?

Don't mind him. He always says crap like that.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB+KG=DOMINATION on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:48 pm

now i know how we must have looked when the KG deal went down boy am i embarrassed.
KB+KG=DOMINATION

Postby westcoast21 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:06 pm

not really scared reactions from fans, but thought they would be interesting to post to piss you guys off :mhihi:

Celtics:

And of course the two games against the Celtics where it wasn't close either time. Every team beats good teams, the Hawks have beaten the Suns, Mavs, Jazz, Magic. I've seen the Lakers play a lot this season, they were never contenders.

I think people overrate Bynum personally. He does most of his damage rolling to the basket. When Perk puts a body on him he can't do anything. Perk has dominated him in both matchups this year. Bynum is still very raw and will not be a major factor in the playoffs..

spurs:

yea i dont really care, gasol and bynum arent more intimidating than the wallace bros in 05. the spurs bench is still superior and the i think the backcourt evens out. i know its hard to say we have a back court thats even with kobe but ginobili and parker combined have proven deadly when it counts.

suns:

I'd give the Lakers some credit and say they'll take us to 7, but we'll still come out on top

i truly hope we face them too

suns in 6

adding gasol does nothing but take shots from kome and hinder bynums development
westcoast21

Postby Legendary on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:16 pm

^^^
Suns fans are amazing.

We handled them with just Bynum in the lineup, yet they still think they can take us even after the addition of Gasol?

They are in for a devastating reality check.
Legendary

Postby wallangong on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:16 pm

westcoast21 wrote:not really scared reactions from fans, but thought they would be interesting to post to piss you guys off :mhihi:

Celtics:

And of course the two games against the Celtics where it wasn't close either time. Every team beats good teams, the Hawks have beaten the Suns, Mavs, Jazz, Magic. I've seen the Lakers play a lot this season, they were never contenders.

I think people overrate Bynum personally. He does most of his damage rolling to the basket. When Perk puts a body on him he can't do anything. Perk has dominated him in both matchups this year. Bynum is still very raw and will not be a major factor in the playoffs..

spurs:

yea i dont really care, gasol and bynum arent more intimidating than the wallace bros in 05. the spurs bench is still superior and the i think the backcourt evens out. i know its hard to say we have a back court thats even with kobe but ginobili and parker combined have proven deadly when it counts.

suns:

I'd give the Lakers some credit and say they'll take us to 7, but we'll still come out on top

i truly hope we face them too

suns in 6

adding gasol does nothing but take shots from kome and hinder bynums development

i love how the Celts fan has watched us a lot this season and discounts us as being contenders even AFTER this deal. anyone who has watched us play a lot of games has seen that we've destroyed teams. usually when we lose it's because we play AWFUL.

whatever, can't wait to see em in the Finals. :jam2:
Go Buffs.
wallangong

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion