Doomsday: Fan reaction of other teams in here!

Re: Doomsday: Please put fan reaction of other teams in here

Postby vaylen on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 am

I loved this quote. It is exactly how I feel and is why what the Yankees do never impresses me.

When I heard this last night my level of surprise was zero. I'd blame the Lakers' Jedi mind tricks, but the simple reality is that they were patient and confident while Orlando panicked. The Lakers know that even though they can't outspend like the Yankees because of the salary cap, they are nonetheless in continual position to benefit from the discontent of stars in most other markets

vaylen

Postby Murdock on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 am

kray28 wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
John3:16 wrote:I like this one: "When was the last time the Lakers made a bad trade? I can't remember."

Shaq for garbage. That is the lesson why I think Orlando did not want big contracts coming in. We didn't really profit from that lopsided trade because we got to take in Grant's contract.

In the long run it was not a bad trade. It was probably the best trade we could have gotten. No equal value, but valuable pieces we use for further moves. We were able to amnesty half of Shaq's salary a season later when he dumped Brian Grant's contract. We traded Caron for Kwame who eventually turned into Pau. Lamar ended up being an indispensable part of the team with Drew's health problems, and the 1st rounder we got from Miami turned out to be Farmar...who like it or not was a valuable bench player for us for both three Finals trips (people's dissatisfaction with Blake should help underscore how valuable Farmar really was)

Well to fair you can't possibly think that Mitch did that trade in order to get gasol and such ... it all kinda happened ... non the less it was a decent trade ... you never get enough value for a player of Shaq's magnitude unless you trade him for LeBrons, Kobes and such ... it was decent trade (east, butler - solid upcoming player, Lamar - playing his best ball at that time) you got two very solid players which is all you can ask for IMO...

I honestly can't remember any trade involving superstar that would be benefitial for both teams

but what Mitch did with those pieces was simply phenomenal ... so in retrospective it was an amazing trade
Murdock

Postby KB24 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:51 am

Shaq wasn't traded for garbage. Shaq was making 30 mio. or so...

almost no team wanted to gut their team to get a 33 year old out of shape declining Shaq. Odom, Butler and Grant was an ok deal...Grant made like 13-14 mio. a year and he was just a throw in to get the salaries to match. He got amnestied a year later.

I think the bad trade was Butler for Kwame...but that was DEFINITELY a gamble worth to take. The Lakers were getting hammered inside with Mihm and Odom both being soft. The Lakers traded for Kwame and actually improved even though Kwame was a terrible player. So not even sure you can call it a bad trade. We got better with him instead of Butler.

But Mitch also made some very underrated deals. He dealt a pretty much done Fox and cancer Payton to Boston for Markus Banks and Jumaine Jones...then somebody missed physical and they had to change Banks with Atkins...nontheless it was a very good deal. Jones was a quite solid shooter and defender. Chucky was a terrible defender but an ok PG with great shooting ability.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:17 am

Mihm was in that deal, right?

I thought Orlando did a better job dealing dwight compared to the Shaq to Miami deal. They don't have huge contracts coming in. Multiple picks. expirings. So much better than swallowing Grant's horrendous contract and just 1 pick to booth.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby KB24 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:23 am

ya we traded Payton and Fox for Mihm, Atkins and Jones. Banks was in the original deal but GP refused to do the physical and they threw in Jones.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:31 pm

D.B. Cooper

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Very nice. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:06 pm

KB24 wrote:ya we traded Payton and Fox for Mihm, Atkins and Jones. Banks was in the original deal but GP refused to do the physical and they threw in Jones.

Really amazing to see how much we've improved since then.. Post Shaq trade, Mitch had no assets we could afford to lose & still somehow got us the peices needed for a 3 year finals window.. & then flipped those pieces to give us another 3 year window. We're the luckiest fans in sports.
lakersin4

Postby KB24 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:21 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
KB24 wrote:ya we traded Payton and Fox for Mihm, Atkins and Jones. Banks was in the original deal but GP refused to do the physical and they threw in Jones.

Really amazing to see how much we've improved since then.. Post Shaq trade, Mitch had no assets we could afford to lose & still somehow got us the peices needed for a 3 year finals window.. & then flipped those pieces to give us another 3 year window. We're the luckiest fans in sports.

yes, the only crap thing is that Kobe's prime was wasted....you know 2004-2008 when he was physically on top of his game.

I know, it shouldn't matter but it kind of does. Winning in your prime is special, you really feel like you are bigger than life. When you age and you win because you have a good team, it probably doesn't feel the same.

I would have loved to see Kobe average 40 in the NBA Finals...but he was never in that position because he was either too young or too tentative. We didn't see him with reckless abandon at the top of his game.

I know he had some huge playoff games every year actually but he never put together an incredible monster series (by his standards)...like averaging 40 ppg in a series or going for 60+ in a game etc. During the years he potentially could, he didn't have the teams to get there.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Murdock on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:32 pm

KB24 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

yes, the only crap thing is that Kobe's prime was wasted....you know 2004-2008 when he was physically on top of his game.

I know, it shouldn't matter but it kind of does. Winning in your prime is special, you really feel like you are bigger than life. When you age and you win because you have a good team, it probably doesn't feel the same.

I would have loved to see Kobe average 40 in the NBA Finals...but he was never in that position because he was either too young or too tentative. We didn't see him with reckless abandon at the top of his game.

I know he had some huge playoff games every year actually but he never put together an incredible monster series (by his standards)...like averaging 40 ppg in a series or going for 60+ in a game etc. During the years he potentially could, he didn't have the teams to get there.

Well in my opinion his best playoff series was in 05 against phoenix (the one we took them to 7 games) ... great numbers, great effort, he sticked to the gameplan ... one crazy rebound :(
Murdock

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:00 pm

KB24 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

While I agree that was a painful time to be a Lakers fan come playoff time, it was a very important stage in Kobe's maturation. He's always been very hungry to win but I think that era made him put his ego to the side when it comes to needing help. Who knows if Kobe makes that call to Nash saying he needs his help if he never had to go through those teams.
lakersin4

Postby dj vitus on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:57 pm

KB24 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

Totally feel ya on this one. If he had somewhat of a resemblance of a team, he'd have a lot more deep playoff runs and probably championships. Those teams probably wouldn't have won more than 15 games a season w/o him.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:15 pm

KB24 wrote:Shaq wasn't traded for garbage. Shaq was making 30 mio. or so...

almost no team wanted to gut their team to get a 33 year old out of shape declining Shaq. Odom, Butler and Grant was an ok deal...Grant made like 13-14 mio. a year and he was just a throw in to get the salaries to match. He got amnestied a year later.

I think the bad trade was Butler for Kwame...but that was DEFINITELY a gamble worth to take. The Lakers were getting hammered inside with Mihm and Odom both being soft. The Lakers traded for Kwame and actually improved even though Kwame was a terrible player. So not even sure you can call it a bad trade. We got better with him instead of Butler.

We didn't get better because of Kwame. Butler would have been a way more useful player because he wasn't completely garbage back then. We got better because we brought in a coach that knew what he was doing and Kobe had a historic season. The 04-05 season was sort of a fluke because Kobe came into the season with horrible conditioning and then got injured and so did Odom IIRC. Our coaching situation was also a joke. Kwame was a gamble because at the time bc people still held out hope that he would become the star people expected him to be when he got drafted, but it was a failure and we had to make do with him.

The only positive thing Kwame ever contributed to this team was landing us Pau.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby vaylen on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Didn't we trade them the pick that became Rondo in that deal?
vaylen

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:01 pm

vaylen wrote:

Rondo was a Phoenix pick iirc
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby dj vitus on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
vaylen wrote:

It was our pick. We gave that to Boston, then Boston gave it to Atlanta, then Atlanta gave it to Phoenix.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Scnottaken on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Just reading some more clipper "fans" reactions. They're completely delusional.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby ben_ready on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:56 pm

I liked the shaq deal I just wanted wade instead of butler. But the pieces make that deal in our favor. Also we didn't rob Memphis, hell Marc made the all star team and Pau didn't this year! They used kwamé for money off the books.

Fans and our chicken little approach to things initially is terrible. Dumb announcers still say we robbed Memphis smh yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby Legendary on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:32 pm

^
You're trying to trademark "yell."

:man10: :man10:

Nice.
Legendary

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:38 pm

dj vitus wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
vaylen wrote:

It was our pick. We gave that to Boston, then Boston gave it to Atlanta, then Atlanta gave it to Phoenix.

Oh ok. sucks
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JGC on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:49 pm

KB24 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

Yeah, I would have loved to see the 35.4 PPG (80 pt game, multiple 50pt games) Kobe in games that really, really mattered. Like putting up a 50 spot in the NBA finals.

On the flip side, if we had a dominant team then, we might be in rebuilding mode now. Think about it. Because we struggled, we rebuilt, got Drew and that one piece got us Howard. If we would have taken probably any other player in that draft, (and one that was more, NBA ready as some people wanted), I don't think we'd be in the position we'd be in today. No way we would have gotten Howard for, say, Danny Granger. No freaking way.
JGC

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:39 pm

With all due respect to Kobe, it's rare for any leading player to have a monster game in the finals, especially in the zone era. Most moron coaches just zone up on the star player, and make the role players come up big. The stars get too much attention to come up big in big games. It was different in the 90's, when zones weren't allowed, and double-teams were only allowed when you had the ball. A star player could really go off then, doing most of their damage on single coverage.

Kobe hasn't had any bad games in the finals. He's always contributed at a star level, whether it's scoring, assisting, or rebounding. Don't get caought up in what the media says about him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Finwë on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 am

^^ good post
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kosstick on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:52 am

what happened to posting doom in this thread lol its been kobe hate discussion and whether or not the shaq trade was good lol
kosstick

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am

kosstick wrote:what happened to posting doom in this thread lol its been kobe hate discussion and whether or not the shaq trade was good lol

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion