D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion

Postby last stand on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:46 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:So what was the gift he gave her?

Considering the early part of the interview I've got a slight idea :man1:
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 pm

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/worthy-372839-howard-lakers.html
Like Dwight Howard, James Worthy was a chosen one – the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft.
Eight years into Howard's career, with LeBron James (picked No. 1 the year before Howard) now officially crowned, mark Worthy down as unimpressed.

Steve Nash passes the ball around Dwight Howard in the 2010 NBA All-Star Game in Dallas. Their first training camp together as Lakers begins Tuesday.
LM OTERO, AP FILE PHOTOADVERTISEMENT "I can't say I'm a huge, big Dwight Howard fan," Worthy said.
Lakers fans will hear from Worthy on a near-daily basis as studio analyst for games this season on the new Time Warner Cable SportsNet. For now, he cites insufficient seriousness and excessive complaining from Howard.
"Play ..." Worthy is suggesting for the new Lakers center, "and don't talk a lot."
Much of this is perspective, as Worthy knows well from being a top overall pick. There is a responsibility that comes with being No. 1 before you ever play a game, a challenge after you've been pre-screened for greatness.
With rare power and agility at his size, Howard especially fits the description.
"Obviously," Worthy said, "he's a great specimen."
Let's do a quick Google search of the words "Steve Nash" and "specimen." It turns up a fellow with a Ph.D. by that name working at the Denver Museum of Science and Nature, working on advanced dating of tree-ring specimens from archeological sites.
The Lakers' new Steve Nash, their other heralded import this offseason, isn't quite that cerebral. But he does look a lot more like that archeologist than he looks like Howard. Coincidentally, here's how Worthy evaluates the Lakers' offseason: "My favorite move of the summer was Professor Steve Nash."
That's crazy talk considering how important Howard is to, um, everything. But Worthy still remembers one of his earliest broadcasting assignments, working a Loyola Marymount-Santa Clara game for Prime Ticket and noticing the one obvious non-specimen out there.
"I'd love to be on the other end of some of his passes," Worthy thought. "Man, does he know how to create the angles. He'll play for somebody."
In the end, the never-recruited Nash didn't do too badly, picked 15th overall in 1996 and only one Peja Stojakovic away from 13th overall pick Kobe Bryant. It's about as far from first to 15th in the draft as it is from first to 15th on an NBA roster, yet Nash's knack for team play and brilliant shooting have made for a Hall of Fame career already.
And his professionalism and lack of whining have been duly noted by Worthy: "Always loved him."
That's why it's simplistic to say neither Howard nor Nash has won an NBA championship, so they're coming to the Lakers the same way.
To Worthy, who won three NBA titles with the Lakers and was named to the league's 50 Greatest Players list in 1996, there is something legitimately better about the Lakers: It's not just the talent and the championships; it's a higher standard of work and focus that brings out that talent to win all those championships.
It's something Nash will revel in – and Howard will learn by osmosis.
"He'll see something he's never seen before," Worthy said.
As opposed to a big splash, Worthy remembers wading into that pool when he arrived in Lakerland in 1982 amid his own accolades as the No. 1 pick.
"I came in as a rookie," Worthy said, "and the feeling was: 'You will conform to the brand.' "
Worthy launched into a long explanation about Howard that started with "Once he sees how Kobe practices ..." and ended with this:
"He'll feel the difference. This is the way winning really is."
Bear in mind that Howard is coming from a world where the prince ran the palace, everyone afraid of his power. He threw things around in Orlando like a spoiled Hercules partly because he has the muscles to and mostly because he was allowed to.
Not everyone in purple and gold is a winner, of course, but there is an expectation here that you have to earn your way to glory. Howard's arrival at least gives him a chance to change. LeBron went to Miami and did gain some perspective.
But Howard's preference was to join a pseudo-startup-company in Brooklyn and be the face of a franchise that has never won any NBA rings. He wound up being sent to the Lakers.
Nash could've taken the bigger money and easy way out of Phoenix with the also-ran, never-established Raptors in his native land, where he's so revered that five years ago they gave him the Order of Canada (the country's second-highest meritorious honor). He figured out a way to get to the Lakers.
Their great senses of humor aside, Nash and Howard come together as Lakers from wholly different ends of the spectrum: One is the now-overrated old underdog, the other is the now-underrated young overdog.
The intelligent thinker sees and understands the contrast. Here's how Albert Einstein once put it:
"He who is given the most is given the least. He who is given the least is given the most."
A reminder for us all as parents or children ...
A lesson about being agreeable pushovers vs. true friends ...
And a perspective on which new Lakers star still has a lot to learn.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby gill on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm

I knew Dwight would eventually do the gangnam style dance. Just didn't expect him to do it before the season starts. :man10:
gill

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:39 am

intuitivelOve wrote:
karacha wrote:Kobe's always so serious. :man10:

I think Dwights joking about the Kobe convo..

Yeah I think so too. I do believe that they talked, but Kobe wouldn't waste his or Dwight's time just by saying I want you 100% (duh...) and then to just say bye after.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:55 am

:man10: I don't know which he was more excited about meeting the fish from Finding Nemo or the Dwight Legos. Fun interview.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:08 am

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:51 am

JSM wrote:http://instagram.com/p/QGyf6dKi03/

Superman Looks Ready!
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:04 am

Dwight is always doing too much in his interviews ( talking about being overenthusiastic :man10: ) .. sounds like your typical female actor .. I'll take his personality over KD or Duncan though
wcsoldier81

Postby The Rock on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 am

Please God, let this be true!

https://twitter.com/Lakers_Examiner/status/251740083496050688

Dwight Howard may be ready for the season-opener against the Mavs. Stay tuned for more info! #Lakers

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby FeelGoodUnInc on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 am

just me or Ellen seem very uncomfortable interviewing Dwight lol
FeelGoodUnInc

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:04 am

JSM wrote::man10: I don't know which he was more excited about meeting the fish from Finding Nemo or the Dwight Legos. Fun interview.

What's up with the socks? :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 am

FeelGoodUnInc wrote:just me or Ellen seem very uncomfortable interviewing Dwight lol

so i wasn't the only one. probably because he came out so aggressive

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby nthydro on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 am

last stand wrote:
FeelGoodUnInc wrote:just me or Ellen seem very uncomfortable interviewing Dwight lol

She's a closet Magics fan.
nthydro

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:52 am

but i will say she seemed uncomfortable until he brought the check out. then she was all into the dwight show lol

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby CornMonkey on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 am

The Rock wrote:Please God, let this be true!

Dwight Howard may be ready for the season-opener against the Mavs. Stay tuned for more info! #Lakers

At the rate he's going, it would be shocking if he came back later than even 2-4 weeks into the season. Don't want him to rush, but season opener would not be surprising at all. Would love to see the starting 5 suit up on day 1.
CornMonkey

Postby CornMonkey on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:59 am

last stand wrote:

Dunno if "aggressive" would be the right word. Maybe "creepy"? I dunno if Ellen has been called "hot" so much in her life.
CornMonkey

Postby last stand on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:01 pm

calling her hot over and over again was uncomfortable for me

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Hey everyone! I recently joined the LakersNation team & my first wallpaper on the site just went live!

Its the design on my sig, check it out & let me know what you think!

http://www.lakersnation.com/wallpaper-d ... 012/09/28/

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 pm

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby bystander on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:23 pm

I don't care about RS and the season opener. I want the whole team fully healthy for the playoffs. That's what i want to see.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby nthydro on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Hey everyone! I recently joined the LakersNation team & my first wallpaper on the site just went live!

Its the design on my sig, check it out & let me know what you think!

http://www.lakersnation.com/wallpaper-d ... 012/09/28/

Traitor! :disagree:

Just kidding man. I love the wallpaper! Looks nice and clean. Awesome job! I just started using Photoshop and making wallpapers so I know how much meticulous work goes into it. Perhaps you could help me out with some tips if you don't mind :man12:
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 pm

JSM wrote:http://instagram.com/p/QGyf6dKi03/

Good Goly Gumballs this guy is a monster.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nthydro on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:48 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:

Who is this Lakers Examiner and are they a reliable source?? If legit, this is great news!
nthydro

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 pm

nthydro wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:

Who is this Lakers Examiner and are they a reliable source?? If legit, this is great news!

Lakers Examiner is Senior Writer Ryan Ward for the Examiner.com and LakersNation.com

Some more tweets about Dwight:

Dr. Robert Klapper believes that Dwight Howard will be good to go for the season-opener and better than ever #Lakers

Dr. Klapper (chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Senai)made an apperance on ESPN710 this morning to talk about Howard's status #Lakers
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard