D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: (p.863: Nash Frustrated w/Dwight)

Postby hollywood swinger on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:30 am

The Rock wrote:
Just from 4 yrs ago when he had the amazing run to the finals, that explosion quick feet off the ground isnt there this year. 40/14 against an Ilgauskas/Ben Wallace/Varejao group that troubled Duncan a lot in the 07 finals is pretty damn good. We need this guy to get his attitude straightened out & then his body healthy

that guy ain't coming thru the door :man10:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 am

The Rock wrote:
Just from 4 yrs ago when he had the amazing run to the finals, that explosion quick feet off the ground isnt there this year. 40/14 against an Ilgauskas/Ben Wallace/Varejao group that troubled Duncan a lot in the 07 finals is pretty damn good. We need this guy to get his attitude straightened out & then his body healthy

Meh. Same non-repetroire of offensive moves. Jump and dunk, no post up skill. Against non-impressive "big" men. And we know what happened when he finally ran into a "dominant" big defender in Pau Gasol. :man10: :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby JLaker17 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:43 am

He may not ever get fully healthy, its a back injury. He still feels numbness in his legs at times, not a good sign. If he is going to get healthy he has to do it quick, because pretty soon he will be 30 and his athleticism and all that will start to go naturally, then what?
JLaker17

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 am

Then.....what so many have said and hoped would happen to LeBron when his freak athleticism starts to fade. Except he worked on his skills and now continues to do so. Whoops.
LTLakerFan

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Meh. Same non-repetroire of offensive moves. Jump and dunk, no post up skill. Against non-impressive "big" men. And we know what happened when he finally ran into a "dominant" big defender in Pau Gasol. :man10: :man12:

This is all true. However, there are very few true big men in the league that can defend that. Therefore, it's all he needs to drop 30+ point on anyone. If healthy, of course.

It's not like Shaq was doing anything special either -- he was an athletic freak who could hit hooks from up to 5 feet away and dunk the ball over people. However, Shaq was bigger and stronger then Dwight, and therefore even people like Admiral Robinson were not able to stop him, let alone skinny Pau Gasol. If Dwight can recover fully next year -- he'll have some really nice games, because the league does not have many people who can do anything to stop him aside from hacking him non-stop. Sad, but true.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 am

Jordan-esque wrote:Kobe/Dwight topic so...

Kobe: "People trying to find (bleep) between me and Dwight need a life. It's manufactured. At least the Shaq stuff was warranted."

http://lakeshowlife.com/2013/02/10/kobe ... ight-talk/

"It’s really not that big of a deal. This thing (that started in Boston), they really made something out of nothing. There’s nothing I said that was out of the ordinary or that I haven’t said before in talking to him.”

“Honestly, I’m done talking about it. There’s nothing to talk about. I’m done with it. There’s nothing to discuss.”

"People trying to find (bleep) between me and Dwight need to get a life, it's silly. At least the Shaq stuff was warrranted. This is comical."

"I told Dwight that story and how people making it out to be is total (bleep)."

More from Kobe:

http://www.lakersnation.com/video-kobe- ... dl1tohasHg

“It’s conflict that is actually manufactured. I didn’t say anything wrong…I wasn’t hammering him over the head or taking a run at him.”

“I’ll own up to my (bleep) if I took a run at somebody."

After laughing that statement off, Kobe also informed reporters that although he wasn’t one to address media stories with his teammates, he did reach out to Howard to clarify that he was not calling him out, and that his quotes were taken out of context. Asked if they were able to laugh off the stories in the locker room.

“I think they’re entertaining. I have a sick sense of humor I guess.”
I've been saying this since Simers interviewed both Gasol and Kobe. Then Dwight went on with SAS.

The media really needs there to be a problem here so they're makin mountains out of mole hills; playing on things that they know will make Dwight unhappy. The unhappier Dwight is, the better news there'll be for them to manufacture. It's typical media these days.

The Lakers though bring it on themselves by speaking so openly to the media and allowing them into their business.

As for Dwight himself, just because there's no real beef among him and Kobe, doesn't mean he's not being an immature child. He still is acting like a tool on the court. I think Rick Fox said it on ESPN710 yesterday, among other stuff, that if Dwight has some issues in the locker room or if he's got some problem somewhere in his life, that stuff needs to go away as soon as he's on the court. As soon as his feet touch the hard wood, he's got to be put all that out of his mind and just play. He hasn't learned that yet.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:34 am

karacha wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Meh. Same non-repetroire of offensive moves. Jump and dunk, no post up skill. Against non-impressive "big" men. And we know what happened when he finally ran into a "dominant" big defender in Pau Gasol. :man10: :man12:

This is all true. However, there are very few true big men in the league that can defend that. Therefore, it's all he needs to drop 30+ point on anyone. If healthy, of course.

It's not like Shaq was doing anything special either -- he was an athletic freak who could hit hooks from up to 5 feet away and dunk the ball over people. However, Shaq was bigger and stronger then Dwight, and therefore even people like Admiral Robinson were not able to stop him, let alone skinny Pau Gasol. If Dwight can recover fully next year -- he'll have some really nice games, because the league does not have many people who can do anything to stop him aside from hacking him non-stop. Sad, but true.

All true. But of course Shaq had real post up skills. I'm still not clear on what Dwight's "best case" scenario is in his head about the shoulder issue. He really wants to work this summer and not have it be all rehab and then come in weaker again next fall compared to where he wants to be if he were to have surgery. But it needs surgery to fix it properly or it can dog him forever going forward.

Catch 22. Probably almost hopes he is "forced" into an early surgery during this season if somehow it gets proven to be damaged further. Then he has iron clad excuse to shut it down regarding his Lakers career.
LTLakerFan

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

I'm tired of talking about this guy unless I see a change.

With Kobe retiring and Dwight being "goods not as advertised", I'm a little uneasy about our future and thats something I really havnge felt since 2005-2007.

Hopefully we can make some magic happen again.
phoenixrisingla

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 am

^ Silly comment of the day...

He's fighting for a max contract. You really think he wants to end his year with one of his worst statistical productions coming off of his second season ending injury in 2 years? The entire reason he's so nervous about his shoulder is because he doesn't want to go back to rehab.

This is an injury in which you don't necessarily need surgery and surgery in a lot of ways can be limiting to your movement going forward. That connective tissue will never be as strong as it was before the injury and a lot of times will never be as flexible. If he got it reattached, he may never be able to lift his arm the same way again. Now without the tissue restricting his movement he's in more pain, but he's not limited physically by it if he can fight through the pain.

This summer he can begin work outs that'll strengthen the joint and tissue around the area which will limit pain, but it'll always bother him. The only way to end pain is surgery, but that'll likely mean a long recovery process and limited mobility. That's the real catch-22. If he wanted to shut down and have surgery, the best option would have been to do it immediately so that he can have more time to recover and in which time he can begin other workouts to strenthen his back and legs again.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 am

LTLakerFan wrote:
karacha wrote:

All true. But of course Shaq had real post up skills. I'm still not clear on what Dwight's "best case" scenario is in his head about the shoulder issue. He really wants to work this summer and not have it be all rehab and then come in weaker again next fall compared to where he wants to be if he were to have surgery. But it needs surgery to fix it properly or it can dog him forever going forward.

Catch 22. Probably almost hopes he is "forced" into an early surgery during this season if somehow it gets proven to be damaged further. Then he has iron clad excuse to shut it down regarding his Lakers career.
I've wondered about this as well.. He prefers dealing with the injury next season too just so he can have an offseason of lifting? Doesn't seem like the best decision, but that's Dwight for you.
lakersin4

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Silly comment of the day...

He's fighting for a max contract. You really think he wants to end his year with one of his worst statistical productions coming off of his second season ending injury in 2 years? The entire reason he's so nervous about his shoulder is because he doesn't want to go back to rehab.

This is an injury in which you don't necessarily need surgery and surgery in a lot of ways can be limiting to your movement going forward. That connective tissue will never be as strong as it was before the injury and a lot of times will never be as flexible. If he got it reattached, he may never be able to lift his arm the same way again. Now without the tissue restricting his movement he's in more pain, but he's not limited physically by it if he can fight through the pain.

This summer he can begin work outs that'll strengthen the joint and tissue around the area which will limit pain, but it'll always bother him. The only way to end pain is surgery, but that'll likely mean a long recovery process and limited mobility. That's the real catch-22. If he wanted to shut down and have surgery, the best option would have been to do it immediately so that he can have more time to recover and in which time he can begin other workouts to strenthen his back and legs again.

Well that's kind of what I was getting at. If he can get it done early enough and be back to where he can lift again and be strong as the "likely prognosis", some team out there will take a flyer on him with their max contract offer. Like we did with the back issue. I don't think the comment was silly when all indications are he hates his role and playing in this city, and really hates the thought of fighting through that pain for the next 3-4 months and then ultimately making it worse to where surgery is then required at a much later date.
LTLakerFan

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 am

therealdeal wrote:
He's fighting for a max contract.

You really think he "fighting" for that Real?

This is when we start debating things that we're just guessing on, but I think he's guaranteed a max contract be it here (for more) or elsewhere. There are teams that have the space even if he shut down for the surgery now after this terrible season who would be willing to gamble.

As you've said before: as infuriating, incomplete, and imperfect as Dwight is, who is a better C than him, even in this diminished state? Probably no one.

Besides, I'm not sure Dwight knows what "fight" means... "bickering" on the other hand... :man1:
phoenixrisingla

Postby scissors on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am

If he keeps this up then it's only a matter of time before the fans start to boo him at Staples. Then Howard would have a mental meltdown.
scissors

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:04 am

scissors wrote:If he keeps this up then it's only a matter of time before the fans start to boo him at Staples. Then Howard would have a mental meltdown.

It could get to this. If we're still sub-.500 in the dog days of the end of the season and effort starts to decline even more.

LA fans arent shy about letting players know when they dont like something...
phoenixrisingla

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am

LTLakerFan wrote:Well that's kind of what I was getting at. If he can get it done early enough and be back to where he can lift again and be strong as the "likely prognosis", some team out there will take a flyer on him with their max contract offer. Like we did with the back issue. I don't think the comment was silly when all indications are he hates his role and playing in this city, and really hates the thought of fighting through that pain for the next 3-4 months and then ultimately making it worse to where surgery is then required at a much later date.

Where has there ever been any indication that he hates playing in this city? Ever? Where has he said he doesn't like LA or that he doesn't like the Lakers or that he wishes he was somewhere else?

Just because he's being a diva doesn't mean he doesn't like playing in LA. This is one of the great hubs of basketball, not to mention it's an opportunity for him to make a TON of money.

The comment is silly because you're saying that he'd like to be forced out so that he can just leave LA. If he wanted out that badly he could just demand a trade. Or he could sit out the season now. Why wait until he has a debilitating injury? That doesn't make sense.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:43 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
He's fighting for a max contract.

You really think he "fighting" for that Real?

This is when we start debating things that we're just guessing on, but I think he's guaranteed a max contract be it here (for more) or elsewhere. There are teams that have the space even if he shut down for the surgery now after this terrible season who would be willing to gamble.

As you've said before: as infuriating, incomplete, and imperfect as Dwight is, who is a better C than him, even in this diminished state? Probably no one.

Besides, I'm not sure Dwight knows what "fight" means... "bickering" on the other hand... :man1:

Well when I say fighting for that contract, I mean he wants to stop doubters. Yes, some team will give him a max offer, but he'll have more offers if he's healthy and playing, right? Someone might give up if it seems like he's out of it for a long time and just "settle" for Al Jefferson.

When I say fighting for that contract it just means he's trying to ease concerns about his health. That's true for sure.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:52 am

therealdeal wrote:Where has there ever been any indication that he hates playing in this city? Ever? Where has he said he doesn't like LA or that he doesn't like the Lakers or that he wishes he was somewhere else?

Just because he's being a diva doesn't mean he doesn't like playing in LA. This is one of the great hubs of basketball, not to mention it's an opportunity for him to make a TON of money.

The comment is silly because you're saying that he'd like to be forced out so that he can just leave LA. If he wanted out that badly he could just demand a trade. Or he could sit out the season now. Why wait until he has a debilitating injury? That doesn't make sense.

He might not hate playing in the city of LA (Clippers count), but as of late, his slothing up and down the court says enough. A so called superstar in the league does not mope around and half a** they way he has been. Is he the first max player to get injured in a contract year? Doubt it. And yes, he loves the big-city big-market of LA, but that doesn't mean he likes being a Laker. On this Laker team.

And no, he can't just demand a trade. That would be TERRIBLE for his reputation, especially after the ORL fiasco. So no that just explains more so why he's pissed of, but his hands are tied bc he can't say he wants to GTFO even though he wants to. not saying that's the case though.
Chillbongo

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 am

Dwight is going to get max money regardless.. He's coming off back surgery + a recovery period where he couldn't run or lift, & playing through a torn labrum. Dwight won't be judged on this season in free agency. He's still top 3 on any teams list to build their future around.
lakersin4

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Where has there ever been any indication that he hates playing in this city? Ever? Where has he said he doesn't like LA or that he doesn't like the Lakers or that he wishes he was somewhere else?

He might not hate playing in the city of LA (Clippers count), but as of late, his slothing up and down the court says enough. A so called superstar in the league does not mope around and half a** they way he has been. Is he the first max player to get injured in a contract year? Doubt it. And yes, he loves the big-city big-market of LA, but that doesn't mean he likes being a Laker. On this Laker team.

And no, he can't just demand a trade. That would be TERRIBLE for his reputation, especially after the ORL fiasco. So no that just explains more so why he's pissed of, but his hands are tied bc he can't say he wants to GTFO even though he wants to. not saying that's the case though.

I can understand why Dwight isn't happy.. He's playing at 75% & his team is struggling. He doesn't have the 6 lobs a game/huge putbacks/skying for blocks dominating performances he's used to so he's not having fun. The media drama & bickering with teammates doesn't help I'm sure, but I'm not that concerned long term. Once Dwight is back playing at a level that demands it, he'll make more out of his touches & get more as a result.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Chillbongo wrote:He might not hate playing in the city of LA (Clippers count), but as of late, his slothing up and down the court says enough. A so called superstar in the league does not mope around and half a** they way he has been. Is he the first max player to get injured in a contract year? Doubt it. And yes, he loves the big-city big-market of LA, but that doesn't mean he likes being a Laker. On this Laker team.

He wouldn't be the first Laker to sloth up and down a court. In fact, he'd be one of many this season and just one of our past big men to have done it. Remember Shaq healing on company time? That didn't mean Shaq didn't love LA, you could tell he loved LA. He just hated Kobe.

Dwight is having a tough time, but he loves LA and that much is clear. Does he love being a Laker? There's no evidence for or against that, but I don't blame him for not loving it immediately either. He's had about the toughest start to a Laker career as you could ask. Injuries all over, coaching turnover, player drama...

As for his reputation, what's left of it at this point? Does he HAVE a reputation? His stock is just a hair above what it was during the Dwightmare on a good day. He has nothing to lose by asking for a trade.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Lmao Gary Payton :man10:

Also props for still supporting Kobe, he thinks hes the best

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:16 pm

LOL.. is it me or was the way he was looking at D12 creepy? lol
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby karacha on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Payton is the greatest trash talker ever.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Right, Shaq was notorious in his behavior as well. But at least he had already won us a couple rings at that point.

That's the difference to me. Dwight is just entitled without doing anything. Here. For a superstar who hasn't really accomplished much and is playing at 75%, you can't be that entitled. It's poor character. His start in LA has been rough. But again to compare him to Shaq (which is unfair to Dwight because he isn't/won't ever be what Shaq was), he's the young gun on a team of accomplished vets. Not only that, but Shaq ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED his opponents. When you are that dominant, your demands are heeded. However, Dwight's miles and miles away from that kind of dominance.

Outside of Ron Harper, Horry and some other role players, Shaq was just as accomplished as any other Laker on those teams. With Dwight, he really needs to know his place. Not only in the offensive pecking order, but the locker room order as well. He should be willingly learning and following Kobe, Pau, Metta & Nash.
Chillbongo

Postby LooN3y on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Well that's kind of what I was getting at. If he can get it done early enough and be back to where he can lift again and be strong as the "likely prognosis", some team out there will take a flyer on him with their max contract offer. Like we did with the back issue. I don't think the comment was silly when all indications are he hates his role and playing in this city, and really hates the thought of fighting through that pain for the next 3-4 months and then ultimately making it worse to where surgery is then required at a much later date.

Where has there ever been any indication that he hates playing in this city? Ever? Where has he said he doesn't like LA or that he doesn't like the Lakers or that he wishes he was somewhere else?

You know why he's doing that, c'mon dude is obsessed by having loved by everyone,

Dude was never humble it was funny Cus I never saw it, funny how the media was portraying him as humble years ago in Orlando
LooN3y

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard