D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby JGC on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:44 am

MC wrote:IMO Howard's issue has nothing to do with Bryant......... it has everything to do with the coaching hire and this "commitment" they have made towards that.

If you hire a coach that doesn't know how to use more traditional big men (which Gasol is and Howard wants to be) you will have problems with your big men.

This is not rocket science here.


Yes but clearly Howard and Kobe are having issues getting along. The coaching piece is a part of it.

Nash and Kobe seem fine even though Nash isn't having a great season by his standards.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 am

Weezy wrote:We don't KNOW any of that either way. The evidence though, IMO, would suggest that more of what I and others are saying is true where what you're saying sounds like excuses, again, to me. Just my opinion based on what I see with what I see from Kobe and Dwight on the court, in interviews, our terrible record, what's being reported, and so forth. I go by what I'm seeing and what keeps being reported over and over, not what excuses I can come up with. Tired of the injury excuses, tired of hearing the same things over and over from the players but seeing the same results on the court. Dwight and Kobe might not dislike eachother, but what matters is they have zero chemistry on the court. We're at the all-star break and the chemistry isn't getting better, it's as bad as ever. What evidence do we have that that's going to change? I'm saying what I see isn't working and we have the record to prove it, you're saying we sign Dwight long term and Kobe and he will magically work next season? Based on what, that Dwight might be healthy? That he might be happy having gotten paid? That we'll be paying a 4th coach at one time and 'Antoni will be gone? That's too many assumptions and ifs for me.

I don't know Weezy. The way I see it: you lock up Dwight long term, next season he heals up a lot from his back and his shoulder. Then you make the team about him, about the future. If we bring in a coach he likes and trade Pau for younger pieces, we can have a team that's fun and a team that still wins.

I think the short term evidence is that he's not having fun. But he's hurt, we're losing, his boss is dying. I mean, this season seems like it was destined or a lot of "unfun" moments.

But long term, we've seen the type of player Dwight can be. We've seen the type of moves the Lakers can and will make. We've seen that Kobe will do whatever it takes to win. And we've seen that the basic recipe for success is: get the best big man on the market and start there (the one exception being Kobe Bryant).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40356
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby halekulani on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 am

i don't know if it's just me or if everyone feels the same but i don't feel particularly obligated to re-sign d12. if he walks away i'd be pretty indifferent to it. he never fully bought into the lakers and as a fan i never reciprocated. all season long i've never seen him as a laker for life. he was really just a guy wearing the uniform and going through the motions.
User avatar
halekulani

 
Posts: 8787
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:25 am

It's not just you. By Dwight's actions and words and whining.....it's like the Lakers this season are doing "Groundhog Day" with what Orlando went through last year. He's leaving. I have a crystal ball. :man1:
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6485
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby sina on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 am

Dwight is lost completely. He isn't a great player. He gets the talent but he doesn't have the mental toughness. He isn't a leader either. In Orlando, he was their best player. Nelson was their leader. But in LA, he isn't the best player nor their leader. His role changed but he can't adjust. He has never been in this situation. And he is waiting his day to come. This he lost completely.
sina

 
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:34 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby The Rock on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 am

Image
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby 432J on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 am

let's face it, dwight has never had good fundamentals. he was so dominant in orlando because he was a freak of nature in terms of athleticism

now that his back and shoulder are really bothering him, he isn't as athletic and explosive as before and he's being exposed. so the bottomline is, either he gets back to 100% within the next year and returns to the dwight of old OR he'll slowly start declining as a result of the injuries

either the lakers take that chance and hope he'll return to 100% or they ship him out before the deadline. in all honesty, i don't see dwight's back healing fully for a while, if ever. the guy even said sometimes he can't feel his feet :man3: that definitely isn't a good sign
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby The Rock on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 am

^ this is what everybody thought about D-wade. Whether he can get back to 100% since he relies so much on his athleticism and he still does.
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby cthroatgtr on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:20 pm

The Rock wrote:^ this is what everybody thought about D-wade. Whether he can get back to 100% since he relies so much on his athleticism and he still does.


Wade still had better fundamentals than Dwight.
cthroatgtr

 
Posts: 2350
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:06 pm
Location: so cal

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby The Rock on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:30 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:
The Rock wrote:^ this is what everybody thought about D-wade. Whether he can get back to 100% since he relies so much on his athleticism and he still does.


Wade still had better fundamentals than Dwight.


what fundamentals LOL I think hes a good passer but what else is based on fundamentals in D-Wade's game.
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby Nikez on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:31 pm

The Rock wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
The Rock wrote:^ this is what everybody thought about D-wade. Whether he can get back to 100% since he relies so much on his athleticism and he still does.


Wade still had better fundamentals than Dwight.


what fundamentals LOL I think hes a good passer but what else is based on fundamentals in D-Wade's game.

The 2 step pro hop.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.


It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
User avatar
Nikez

 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Nikez wrote:
The Rock wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
The Rock wrote:^ this is what everybody thought about D-wade. Whether he can get back to 100% since he relies so much on his athleticism and he still does.


Wade still had better fundamentals than Dwight.


what fundamentals LOL I think hes a good passer but what else is based on fundamentals in D-Wade's game.

The 2 step pro hop.


Don't forget about his Ryu/Ken style roundhouse jump kick.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby abeer3 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:44 pm

i'm more concerned now that he's openly flirting with houston.

just gotta hope he uses his head. even with the disaster in la short term, they're only 3 games back of houston in what has been a pretty perfect season for them. he should think about what that means, and think about whether he's more likely to build a contender around himself in la with cap space or with harden in houston, capped out.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10407
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby 432J on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:56 pm

The Rock wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
The Rock wrote:^ this is what everybody thought about D-wade. Whether he can get back to 100% since he relies so much on his athleticism and he still does.


Wade still had better fundamentals than Dwight.


what fundamentals LOL I think hes a good passer but what else is based on fundamentals in D-Wade's game.

big men have to rely alot more on footwork and post moves than a player like wade who's main concern is shooting and passing

dwight's post game, if he has any, has been pretty invisible this season. i can't recall a successful post move that dwight has used consistently this season
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4794
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby last stand on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:38 pm

abeer3 wrote:i'm more concerned now that he's openly flirting with houston.

just gotta hope he uses his head. even with the disaster in la short term, they're only 3 games back of houston in what has been a pretty perfect season for them. he should think about what that means, and think about whether he's more likely to build a contender around himself in la with cap space or with harden in houston, capped out.


He was asked about the Houston rockets in Houston.

Do you know how many times Larry Fitzgerald had said how good the Philadelphia eagles franchise is and how he'd love to play for them. I've counted 3 since 2008. All on Philadelphia radio stations, yet he keeps re-upping with Arizona. Why? It's talk, nothing deeper.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby The Rock on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:07 pm

432J wrote:
The Rock wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
The Rock wrote:^ this is what everybody thought about D-wade. Whether he can get back to 100% since he relies so much on his athleticism and he still does.


Wade still had better fundamentals than Dwight.


what fundamentals LOL I think hes a good passer but what else is based on fundamentals in D-Wade's game.

big men have to rely alot more on footwork and post moves than a player like wade who's main concern is shooting and passing

dwight's post game, if he has any, has been pretty invisible this season. i can't recall a successful post move that dwight has used consistently this season


Actually Dwight has a pretty nice lefty hook shot. Hes gone to that multiple times this year

Big men dont need strong footwork in today's game...look at the guys who have strong postgames in the last 5 years, what have they done exactly in the playoffs? Duncan, Millsap, Al Jefferson, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol. Dwight without strong footwork/fundamentals has put up strong numbers in recent playoffs, 18/11 in 10 playoffs, 27,15 in 11 playoffs. We need him to get healthy thats all, this guy has never relied on strong fundamentals
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby Balance&Options24 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Something tells me he's going to "bring it" tomorrow :/
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
User avatar
Balance&Options24

 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby abeer3 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

last stand wrote:
abeer3 wrote:i'm more concerned now that he's openly flirting with houston.

just gotta hope he uses his head. even with the disaster in la short term, they're only 3 games back of houston in what has been a pretty perfect season for them. he should think about what that means, and think about whether he's more likely to build a contender around himself in la with cap space or with harden in houston, capped out.


He was asked about the Houston rockets in Houston.

Do you know how many times Larry Fitzgerald had said how good the Philadelphia eagles franchise is and how he'd love to play for them. I've counted 3 since 2008. All on Philadelphia radio stations, yet he keeps re-upping with Arizona. Why? It's talk, nothing deeper.



maybe. but he characterizes them as "fun" on the heels of stating that he wants to have fun and that he's currently not having fun.

honestly, if he's dumb enough to bolt for them, it's probably not worth losing sleep over. but still, i'd prefer he stay.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10407
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby The Rock on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 pm

All star weekend so far has been a complete joke in Houston. Such a boring city. Weak crowd. Nothing exciting happened really
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19992
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Balance&Options24 wrote:Something tells me he's going to "bring it" tomorrow :/

I have had this same feeling as well. Although Centers really never get the ball enough in All-Star games so idk. I somewhat hope that if Kobe doesn't want to get another MVP trophy that he goes all out to help Dwight get the MVP like he did for Tracy McGrady when the All-Star game was last in Houston.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11704
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:59 pm

abeer3 wrote:
last stand wrote:
abeer3 wrote:i'm more concerned now that he's openly flirting with houston.

just gotta hope he uses his head. even with the disaster in la short term, they're only 3 games back of houston in what has been a pretty perfect season for them. he should think about what that means, and think about whether he's more likely to build a contender around himself in la with cap space or with harden in houston, capped out.


He was asked about the Houston rockets in Houston.

Do you know how many times Larry Fitzgerald had said how good the Philadelphia eagles franchise is and how he'd love to play for them. I've counted 3 since 2008. All on Philadelphia radio stations, yet he keeps re-upping with Arizona. Why? It's talk, nothing deeper.



maybe. but he characterizes them as "fun" on the heels of stating that he wants to have fun and that he's currently not having fun.

honestly, if he's dumb enough to bolt for them, it's probably not worth losing sleep over. but still, i'd prefer he stay.


Not sure that its "dumb" to go to them. He has a young, elite shooting guard to play with, a solid young pg in Lin, and a pf who fits well next to him. Fill in a couple solid role players and are you telling me that's not a better team than he went to the Finals with in Orlando? Harden also has some of the intangibles that Dwight lacks. If Dwight regains his form from all these injuries and goes to Houston, they'd be scary.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 pm

If Dwight got healthy and came back here we'd be just as/more dangerous. :man10:

Then in two years we reset and get dangerous again with someone else next to him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40356
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:Something tells me he's going to "bring it" tomorrow :/

I have had this same feeling as well. Although Centers really never get the ball enough in All-Star games so idk. I somewhat hope that if Kobe doesn't want to get another MVP trophy that he goes all out to help Dwight get the MVP like he did for Tracy McGrady when the All-Star game was last in Houston.


BS, This spoled brat has been handed everything during his career, if he wants the mvp he can go out and freeking earn it
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
User avatar
DuddlyDoRight

 
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:23 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:06 am

DuddlyDoRight wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:
Balance&Options24 wrote:Something tells me he's going to "bring it" tomorrow :/

I have had this same feeling as well. Although Centers really never get the ball enough in All-Star games so idk. I somewhat hope that if Kobe doesn't want to get another MVP trophy that he goes all out to help Dwight get the MVP like he did for Tracy McGrady when the All-Star game was last in Houston.


BS, This spoled brat has been handed everything during his career, if he wants the mvp he can go out and freeking earn it


Won't argue with that
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11704
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: a loss to smile about

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:20 am

I don't think he is coming back. Not enjoying playing with Kobe and for MDA. Houston with Harden, Lin, and others is tempting and he is alwasy commenting about how they play "as a team and fast and fun."

Too risky to me - like Cleveland found out (despite the new rules in place now).

His game is too limited to be an offensive first option. Get value for him now, IMO.


Trade him for Bledsoe (a super athletic PG who can defend decently, fly up the court, and learn behind Nash), Jordan (a shot blocker and decent help defender who can give us a lot of what Dwight can defensively and not demand the touches), LO (who can play centet until Gaol come back and then play with Pau off the bench), and picks that we can package with Blake or Duhon to get Korver or another shooter (or use to package with Gaol this summer to get a few pieces)

Bench of

Bledsoe, Morris
Meeks
Korver, Ebanks
Jamison, LO
Gasol, LO

And if we can turn Gasol or Metta and picks in to Love or Milsap and pieces that would be ideal.

Nash, Bledsoe, Morris
Kobe, Meeks
Clark, Korver
Love or Milsap, Jamison
Jordan, LO
tigerjeterkobe

 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30 pm
Location: Buffalo

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.