D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion:Apologizes,"it starts with me" 804

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:13 pm

^Interesting. I really do think they will look to trade Howard. Whether or not everybody agrees with it, that's up for debate. I don't think he's built to be here long-term with the pressure from media, fans, etc. He loves to be in the spotlight; however when adversity comes his way, he's pointing out stat sheets...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Hes a talented knucklehead. Lakers would exhaust all options to get it right with him before trading him. Hes too good.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Weezy wrote:Was listening to 710 earlier, thought Ireland made some good points about Dwight. He talked about how passive aggressive is Dwight's thing, did it in Orlando, tiptoed around what he wanted there but never came out and said it. He also pointed out how this is another coach that doesn't work with Dwight or that has "lost Dwight", said if you build around him what's the guarantee he doesn't clash with the next coach too. Ireland also said Dwight wants to be THE guy, not one of 2 or 3 number one guys, lot of concessions to make for a guy that has done noting to warrant all the demands Ireland also said. I agreed with pretty much all he said, I'd move on and trade him for Love if I could.

i was listening to that as well...it was interesting how Ireland debunked the whole 5 shots theory when he pointed out all the TOs he had and when he was fouled before getting a shot up

the number of shots doesn't truly indicate how many 'precious' touches one gets...it was also revealing how after Al Jefferson, it's Dwight that gets the most post touches in the league

it's basically what he does with those touches more than anything

i like Dwight...i really want him to turn it around and be the player we all marveled at in Orlando...but Ireland made excellent points, as did that lispy Kellerman...if he can't handle the spotlight here, we have to start exploring other options
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-meeting-20130123,0,5793715.story
MEMPHIS -- The Lakers needed to talk. So they did. Loudly.

They held a clear-the-air team meeting before Wednesday morning's shoot-around, with Kobe Bryant very directly asking Dwight Howard if he disliked playing with the long-time Lakers star.

"Guys went at each other a little bit," said a person who witnessed the meeting.

Coach Mike D'Antoni started it by saying he was tired of reading newspaper stories about players questioning his offense or wanting more touches. Bryant and Howard each fell under that category after the Lakers' lifeless 95-83 loss Monday in Chicago: Bryant said the offense needed to slow down while Howard expressed displeasure after taking only five shots.

D'Antoni then told the team to stop worrying about offense and start playing better defense. The Lakers are fifth in scoring (102.6 points a game) but 26th in defense (101.4 points a game).

He then asked players to speak up. Steve Nash went first.

Nash, in his first season with the Lakers, said he didn't care how they played, whether it was via pick-and-roll or fastbreak or whatever. He just wanted everybody to be comfortable in the system. It was seen as a sacrifice by Nash, who played four seasons under D'Antoni's run-and-gun offense in Phoenix and won two NBA MVP awards while doing it.

Bryant also spoke up, acknowledging he could be "hard to play with" and asking Howard if that bothered him.

Howard's answer was unclear, though he did not engage Bryant in nearly as vocal a manner as Bryant engaged him.

"He didn't go back at Kobe," said the person who witnessed the meeting.

It was not known how long the actual meeting lasted, but the Lakers' shoot-around went an hour longer than expected.

Howard was contrite with reporters afterward, saying he was sorry for demanding more touches two days earlier. The meeting seemed to have affected him.
Last edited by The Rock on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

The Rock wrote:http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-meeting-20130123,0,5793715.story

They held a clear-the-air team meeting before Wednesday morning's shoot-around, with Kobe Bryant very directly asking Dwight Howard if he disliked playing with the long-time Lakers star.

"Guys went at each other a little bit," said a person who witnessed the meeting.

Coach Mike D'Antoni started it by saying he was tired of reading newspaper stories about players questioning his offense or wanting more touches. Bryant and Howard each fell under that category after the Lakers' lifeless 95-83 loss Monday in Chicago: Bryant said the offense needed to slow down while Howard expressed displeasure after taking only five shots.

D'Antoni then told the team to stop worrying about offense and start playing better defense. The Lakers are fifth in scoring (102.6 points a game) but 26th in defense (101.4 points a game).

Nash, in his first season with the Lakers, said he didn't care how they played, whether it was via pick-and-roll or fastbreak or whatever. He just wanted everybody to be comfortable in the system. It was seen as a sacrifice by Nash, who played four seasons under D'Antoni's run-and-gun offense in Phoenix and won two NBA MVP awards while doing it.

Bryant also spoke up, acknowledging he could be "hard to play with" and asking Howard if that bothered him.

Howard's answer was unclear, though he did not engage Bryant in nearly as vocal a manner as Bryant engaged him.

It was not known how long the actual meeting lasted, but the Lakers' shoot-around went an hour longer than expected.

Howard was contrite with reporters afterward, saying he was sorry for demanding more touches two days earlier. The meeting seemed to have affected him.

oh boy...sounds like that meeting might have done more bad than good
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm

:boxing1:
D.B. Cooper

Postby Kit on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

damnnnnnnn LOL.

I think it has done more good than bad. It can't get any worse, right? Can it?
Kit

Postby borri on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Don't matter what is said, to each other or to the press. As long as Antoni is coach, it will be the wrong system for ANY back to the basket player.
borri

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Weezy wrote:Was listening to 710 earlier, thought Ireland made some good points about Dwight. He talked about how passive aggressive is Dwight's thing, did it in Orlando, tiptoed around what he wanted there but never came out and said it. He also pointed out how this is another coach that doesn't work with Dwight or that has "lost Dwight", said if you build around him what's the guarantee he doesn't clash with the next coach too. Ireland also said Dwight wants to be THE guy, not one of 2 or 3 number one guys, lot of concessions to make for a guy that has done noting to warrant all the demands Ireland also said. I agreed with pretty much all he said, I'd move on and trade him for Love if I could.

Was listening for the past 2-3 hours as well.

I'm just anxious to see what kind of D12 we get tonight and even if its something special that he brings it consistently. It's no secret that when Dwight brings energy we look a lot better on defense in the half court set.

Also, I thought the sound bite that ESPN 710 played when I think it was Jeff Van Gundy talking about all this recent D12 crap was spot on with his criticisms.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

The Rock wrote:http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-meeting-20130123,0,5793715.story

We'll see how they respond. I want to see how Dwight responds to the rest of this season.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby charvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Howard should have given a clear answer. Even if it was a resounding "Yes, Bryant, you are difficult to play with", you can work it out and try to resolve that. If the communication remains unclear such as his unclear answer, the problem still exists and they go nowhere.
charvin

Postby trodgers on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Dwight could man up a bit. When Kobe asks you point blank a question trying to get at what the problem is, why not answer the guy?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:^Interesting. I really do think they will look to trade Howard. Whether or not everybody agrees with it, that's up for debate. I don't think he's built to be here long-term with the pressure from media, fans, etc. He loves to be in the spotlight; however when adversity comes his way, he's pointing out stat sheets...

They seemed to think, Ireland included, that the Lakers would at least explore options as far as trading Dwight. They're just radio guys though , they want listeners, I don't think the Lakers will, Jim Buss seems to believe Dwight is staying, he may be arrogant, delusional, or the reports or untrue.

The Rock wrote:Hes a talented knucklehead. Lakers would exhaust all options to get it right with him before trading him. Hes too good.

He is very talented, but he's also immature, makes things all about him, wants things his way, doesn't get along with coaches that don't use him how he wants, can clearly be disruptive to a team and it's chemistry as we're seeing, and on and on and on.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

As far as that latest article posted, I feel worst of all for Nash. He came here to win, he's a good guy, great teammate, and he's in a nightmare.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm

D.B. Cooper wrote::boxing1:

:hungry:
kenzo

Postby phoenixrisingla on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Wouldnt it be awesome to have been in that meeting to see first hand how these guys interact with each other?

I love that Kobe put everything on the table.

Hopefully this meeting meant something instead of just more hot air in a season thats had too much of that already.
phoenixrisingla

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm

I agree with the posters that said Dwight should have answered Kobe. Kobe would have respected that and they could have attempted to work it out. After everything that has happend up until now with Kobe calling him out, do you think Dwight will stay? I sure as heck don't.

However, if we keep him and he walks, so be it...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Finally... Good S**. Been waiting for a "Players Only" type meeting to take place. Clear the air and really share what's on peoples mind.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby karacha on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

trodgers wrote:Dwight could man up a bit. When Kobe asks you point blank a question trying to get at what the problem is, why not answer the guy?

Because Kobe could hit him with the Death Stare.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

All Dwight had to do was point at a stat sheet when Kobe asked him that question...
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

doesn't sound like a very productive meeting to me....I'd trade Howard too, F it. Dont need any wishy washy players on this team going forward. We all know Howard and his antics, one particular one that stands out is the two face situation where SVG was being interviewed and acknolwedge that Howard told the FO he wanted him fired and Howard comes up on SVG during the meeting puts his hand around his neck and acts as if he's his buddy or something not knowing what SVG was discussing :man10: . Do not want anymore of that drama here.
khmrP

Postby Legendary on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

trodgers wrote:Dwight could man up a bit. When Kobe asks you point blank a question trying to get at what the problem is, why not answer the guy?

This.

Kobe won't respect you AT ALL unless you step up to him. Dwight needs to quit with this passive/aggressive BS if he wants to be "the man."
Legendary

Postby trodgers on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:All Dwight had to do was point at a stat sheet when Kobe asked him that question...

But but but...pointing to stats doesn't mean anything. You have to look at the game!
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Man it's about damn time. I've been waiting to read about a pow-wow like this forever. I'm glad Kobe spoke up, I'm glad Nash spoke up, and I'm glad even D'Antoni spoke up.

What's hilarious is that it sounds like D'Antoni is the one who is outside looking in. Dwight and Kobe talking about playing with each other is extremely important. They need to figure each other out more.

But the BEST thing is Nash. Reading that he doesn't care about which offense they run really cements in my mind two things:
1. He wouldn't mind if D'Antoni was gone :man10: .
2. (and more seriously) He's exactly the teammate we need in this situation. The guy willing to sacrifice to make the team better and to make the pieces fit.

Hopefully this gave Dwight some food for thought and reminded him of exactly what it means to be here and what he said when he arrived. If he's serious about winning, we'll see a different team playing tonight.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

what a f***ing mess, is all i can say.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard