D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Great effort Dwight. The man is hurting so the effort is appreciated even more! :jam2:
Image

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
User avatar
GoldenKnight

 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 am

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm

And the good side of bipolar Dwight has come out to play.....

In what is solid progress for him, Dwight said he doesn't want to talk about his shoulder anymore: "I really ...
don't want to talk about it. It’s not going to change."

Dwelling on how the labrum tear is limiting him or how dangerous it feels or whatever fears he has isn't helping him do his job, so letting go of that in his head should help him play more freely -- as he did in the fourth quarter Friday night in Charlotte.

"It’s not going to change," he said. "It’s torn. There’s nothing I can do about it. Hopefully I don’t have an issue where I re-aggravate it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19453
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Balance&Options24 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm

D'Antoni asked for no more "B.S. on the outside." Well, Dwight's dad just criticized D'Antoni and Kobe to ...

Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Dwight's hometown paper.

Here are the quotes from Dwight Howard Sr.:

* "The problem is the coach. (D’Antoni) needs to step in and say, ‘You guys have got to be quiet. We’re trying to secure something here. Dwight is probably looking at the coach, thinking, ‘What are you going to do?’ I promise, if that had been Stan Van Gundy, that wouldn’t have happened. (Howard) wouldn’t have been admonished publicly. I think the coach has a lot to do with who controls Kobe’s mouth right now."

* "I told him before he said it publicly, ‘It’s your career. No person can say what you need to do or not do. You can’t worry about what Kobe or anybody else says,’” the elder Howard said. “Nobody can say what Kobe said -- that’s stepping into another man’s shoes. I understand what Kobe was trying to do, but he went about it the wrong way. He’s trying to win a championship. But Dwight has to tell Kobe, ‘I appreciate your opinion, but that doesn’t matter. We’re two men on this team. We need to be reasonable about this."

* "When he spoke up, he asked me what I thought, and I told him I applaud him for standing up for himself. But I still think he needs to have a sit down with the coach and Kobe."

* "L.A. has been like humble pie for him. When you go from being the man in one city (Orlando) to second or third tier, it takes a toll on you mentally."

Dwight Sr. told Schultz he still thinks his son will re-sign with the Lakers this offseason.

If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
User avatar
Balance&Options24

 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Interesting stuff, not to bash Howard at all but I find it says a lot that even his age he gets this much advice that he seemingly takes, from his father. Wasn't it reported that he committed to Orlando before the deadline last season after speaking to his father or at the advice of his father as well? I don't think anything Dwight's dad said is really wrong, controversial, or far out there, but it's very interesting it's almost exactly the same stuff Dwight said himself the past few days. Maybe Dwight has some growing up and thinking for himself to do, or maybe I'm outta line saying that and some people just stay very close to their parents and their advice their whole lives.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby last stand on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:07 pm

dwight has the look of someone who's had his ego hurt a little. whether it be his physical limitations or Laker players questioning him in public
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:08 pm

I got two things from that:

1. Dwight respects his father so much that he listens to what he says above reason a lot of times. I think literally at times Kobe and Dwight's father are butting heads in Dwight's mind as far as elder men go. Kobe wants him to man up. Dwight's dad is looking out for his son. Dwight's dad says Dwight should stick up for himself. Kobe says he should stop caring about what other people think. We assume he means us and the media, but maybe he's talking about Dwight's dad.

2. Dwight's dad expects him to stay here and so I expect that'll give us a HUGE push this summer. Considering the reports about how much Dwight listens to his father... I'm thinking we have a pretty huge edge right now.

Dwight's not wrong in wanting to wait, Dwight's dad isn't wrong for looking for him. But at some point you really do have to man up and either accept the situation or ask for a different one. If Dwight is unhappy to the point where he needs a change, he's got to say so. If he's not then he's got to buck up and go do what's got to be done.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 am

Doc Brown wrote:And the good side of bipolar Dwight has come out to play.....

In what is solid progress for him, Dwight said he doesn't want to talk about his shoulder anymore: "I really ...
don't want to talk about it. It’s not going to change."

Dwelling on how the labrum tear is limiting him or how dangerous it feels or whatever fears he has isn't helping him do his job, so letting go of that in his head should help him play more freely -- as he did in the fourth quarter Friday night in Charlotte.

"It’s not going to change," he said. "It’s torn. There’s nothing I can do about it. Hopefully I don’t have an issue where I re-aggravate it.


Finally aware of the situation NINE days after the Suns game .... GOOD JOB DWIGHT
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby kosstick on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 am

Anyone think this is Dwight just overreacting to his Shoulder Injury, he has been extremely Healthy his whole career and now that he has these injuries it seems like he is overreacting due to the unfamiliar territory he finds himself in.


Kind of like the teenage kid that thinks its the end of the world when he gets grounded or caught by his parents. "they are going to kill me" "my life is over". So they refuse to listen to reason until they realize that it wasn't as bad as he first thought it was.
kosstick

 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:53 am

His defense gets the whole team playing hard. After the Kobe/Pau/Nash era, we have to surround this guy with athletic defenders & a great 2 way PG, then watch the rings pile up.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:11 am

kosstick wrote:Anyone think this is Dwight just overreacting to his Shoulder Injury, he has been extremely Healthy his whole career and now that he has these injuries it seems like he is overreacting due to the unfamiliar territory he finds himself in.


That is entirely possible, yes.

Dwight has missed very few games in his career, and those he usually missed due to suspensions. :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37449
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby khmrP on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:41 am

therealdeal wrote:I got two things from that:

1. Dwight respects his father so much that he listens to what he says above reason a lot of times. I think literally at times Kobe and Dwight's father are butting heads in Dwight's mind as far as elder men go. Kobe wants him to man up. Dwight's dad is looking out for his son. Dwight's dad says Dwight should stick up for himself. Kobe says he should stop caring about what other people think. We assume he means us and the media, but maybe he's talking about Dwight's dad.

2. Dwight's dad expects him to stay here and so I expect that'll give us a HUGE push this summer. Considering the reports about how much Dwight listens to his father... I'm thinking we have a pretty huge edge right now.

Dwight's not wrong in wanting to wait, Dwight's dad isn't wrong for looking for him. But at some point you really do have to man up and either accept the situation or ask for a different one. If Dwight is unhappy to the point where he needs a change, he's got to say so. If he's not then he's got to buck up and go do what's got to be done.


I think Howard and his Dad will only stay on board if things dont get worse, that means no more talking to the press anymore outside of answering basic game questions, no more exclusive interviews from anyone, etc. I'm sure Howard and co. can handle more losing if it happens I just dont think they can handle anymore media negativity coming from our own players no matter what was "meant" to be said it never comes out that way thanks to the media.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby borri on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 am

Sadly, D12 could have easily avoided all this crap by saying just this:

"My back isn't quite right. It's restricting what I can do and want to do. To make it worse, my torn labrum is causing me severe pain that prevents me from doing what I want to do on the defensive end. It can't get worse. I'll gut it out because we need to win games. I just have to learn and will myself to play through these injuries."

Simple. Truthful. And garners respect from teammates and fans. None of this, im no doctor, he's no doctor, give me support crap. EVerything that has come out of his mouth this year has been me, me, me.

WTF is his agent doing, not advising him on this.

The absolute worse thing D12 can do is NOT answer questions about how his shoulder feels. Which he has been doing lately.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I got two things from that:

1. Dwight respects his father so much that he listens to what he says above reason a lot of times. I think literally at times Kobe and Dwight's father are butting heads in Dwight's mind as far as elder men go. Kobe wants him to man up. Dwight's dad is looking out for his son. Dwight's dad says Dwight should stick up for himself. Kobe says he should stop caring about what other people think. We assume he means us and the media, but maybe he's talking about Dwight's dad.

2. Dwight's dad expects him to stay here and so I expect that'll give us a HUGE push this summer. Considering the reports about how much Dwight listens to his father... I'm thinking we have a pretty huge edge right now.

Dwight's not wrong in wanting to wait, Dwight's dad isn't wrong for looking for him. But at some point you really do have to man up and either accept the situation or ask for a different one. If Dwight is unhappy to the point where he needs a change, he's got to say so. If he's not then he's got to buck up and go do what's got to be done.


I think Howard and his Dad will only stay on board if things dont get worse, that means no more talking to the press anymore outside of answering basic game questions, no more exclusive interviews from anyone, etc. I'm sure Howard and co. can handle more losing if it happens I just dont think they can handle anymore media negativity coming from our own players no matter what was "meant" to be said it never comes out that way thanks to the media.

Honestly as long as the Lakers keep making a push through the season I think he's fine. We had a really tough season with injuries and player/coach turnover. No one can really hold losing against us.

I agree that the negativity towards him is a big deal. I think that'll be alright though. He just needs to sit with Kobe and listen to the man for a while. What we're seeing is what is hopefully a transformation of the man's mentality. I think Kobe is doing a good job of changing him a little bit, but it's a hard fight when you've had such a rosie road like Dwight has. His father is still babying him for God's sake.

I'm thinking this is going to help him soon. Ever seen those movies where a guy has a cathartic mental moment? I think we could see something like that out of Dwight some time this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:24 pm

I am glad to see that quote from Dwight. Now, I hope he can move in that direction and focus his efforts on the court. We need his defense & rebounding in a big way right now. He can still be a nightmare defensively for teams.
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby The Rock on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm

WTF...

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/02/09/dwight-howards-father-calls-for-son-to-have-sitdown-with-kobe-bryant-mike-dantoni/
But with Dwight Howard facing endless scrutiny regarding his injured right shoulder and how he fits in with the Lakers, his father, Dwight Howard Sr., told the Atlanta Journal Constitution he needs to have a sitdown with Kobe Bryant and coach Mike D’Antoni to hash things over. After all, Bryant has received plenty of attention for comments attributed to him in an ESPN.com report this week suggesting Howard needed to return quickly even if his shoulder isn’t fully healed. Although he denies it, D’Antoni also indirectly has suggested the same thing.

But the involved parties don’t have any interest on the idea. Instead, the Lakers (24-27) say they’re strictly focused on Sunday’s game against the Miami Heat (33-14) at American Airlines Arena.

“Honestly, I’m done talking about it,” Bryant said. “There’s nothing to talk about it. There’s nothing to discuss. It’s silly.”

D’Antoni wasn’t necessarily opposed to it. He just believes the Lakers have already gone down that path, including having an air-it-out meeting two weeks ago against Memphis. Part of that meeting involved Bryant confronting Howard about his frustration surrounding his offensive role.

“That’s cool,” D’Antoni said. “He’s his father. He should defend his son. But I thought we had that in Memphis. We’re good.”

It remains to be seen what Howard thinks of the idea.

He’s publicly defended his decision to sit out two games last week because of his aggravated labrum in his right shoulder. Howard also bristled at Bryant’s comments attributed to him that suggested he needed to return even with an unhealthy shoulder, quotes Bryant maintains were blown out of proportion.

“It’s really not that big of a deal,” Bryant said. “In Boston, they made something out of nothing. There wasn’t anything I said that was out of the ordinary or nothing I said before talking to him. They made a really big deal out of something that is really nothing.”

Howard also had little interest in adding to the storyline.

“I don’t want to get into it,” Howard said. “My dad is a grown man. That’s how he feels. We’ll leave it at that.”

Howard offered a similar comment on his dad’s assertion that he will re-sign this summer with the Lakers.

Whether Howard Sr’s comments reflects his son’s level of thinking remains to be seen. The ACJ article quotes his father as saying his son has talked to him frequently about this season and his frustrations. Howard conceded they talk everyday but nothing about basketball.

“That’s what’s he’s supposed to do, support his kid,” Howard said of his father’s comments. “He’s going to do the best at that.”

The Lakers will soon find out if they make the best of their situation too.

“It’s people who try to harbor and hang onto stuff all the time,” Bryant said of the dynamic between him and Howard. “He just has to do his job, go out and defend. We do our jobs and do what we need to do to help us win. It’s not rocket science.”


https://twitter.com/mcten/status/300333368485232640
Kobe on Dwight's dad suggesting KB & DH have a sitdown: "Honestly, I’m done talking about it ... There’s nothing to discuss. It’s silly."
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19985
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 pm

^Well, for once, they all had the right responses. Don't get into & and feed this media frenzy that wants to start division & dissension within this locker room. What's done is done. We can't go back and change anything. The first priority is winning basketball games.
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Ice-Fire on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Dwight should dominate Bosh and the Heat front-court last time Miami was @ LA... Howard had 16-13 if he has the same number we will lose... he needs to have a 28-15 game for us to have a chance.
User avatar
Ice-Fire

 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm
Location: Marlboro Ciggarettes

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:Dwight should dominate Bosh and the Heat front-court last time Miami was @ LA... Howard had 16-13 if he has the same number we will lose... he needs to have a 28-15 game for us to have a chance.


Should he have 10 assists and 10 blocks and 12 steals as well?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19453
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Ice-Fire on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Should he have 10 assists and 10 blocks and 12 steals as well?


If he can't get 28 points / 15 rebounds in a marquee match-up... then he doesn't deserve any max money he's demanding PERIOD.
User avatar
Ice-Fire

 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm
Location: Marlboro Ciggarettes

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Should he have 10 assists and 10 blocks and 12 steals as well?


If he can't get 28 points / 15 rebounds in a marquee match-up... then he doesn't deserve any max money he's demanding PERIOD.


Is your depth perception abnormal or something?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19453
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby Ice-Fire on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:45 pm

No, I just think if he's gonna be our franchise player then he should put up superstar #'s in a big-game. this game could break or make our season..... and if he doesn't show up the team will suffer.
User avatar
Ice-Fire

 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm
Location: Marlboro Ciggarettes

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby KB24 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Guys please continue to discuss the issues between Dwight and Kobe in another thread which I just created...this way we are talking about it in the Kobe thread and the D12 thread and its getting cluttered.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55547
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby karacha on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Should he have 10 assists and 10 blocks and 12 steals as well?


If he can't get 28 points / 15 rebounds in a marquee match-up... then he doesn't deserve any max money he's demanding PERIOD.


Come on, last time it was 20/20. What's changed?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37449
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:56 pm

What a weird metric to decide whether or not someone deserves a max contract...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion: Locker room hot "air" (p856)

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Evan Turner is supposedly being made available.. Let's get him packaged with the real best C in the league.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.