D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: All in for L.A. (907)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:52 pm

last stand wrote:
thats what i mean. just as a season as a whole, those missed gimmes 2 feet away were slams in orlando. tonight he showed a slight glimpse but still wasn't that guy.

next season with full conditioning, stronger legs, and the return of boulder shoulders i think this will be an every night thing, probably even better. his intensity tonight was orlando dwight but the explosiveness still wasn't there, and neither was the strength
Definitely we'll see this more often. This Dwight is light years ahead of where he was at the start of the season, but it's still a ways to go before he's the Dwight we should get used to.

I can't wait for this summer for him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:This was probably his best effort defensively all season in the 2nd half. He did mostly with 4 fouls as well. Great, great effort in the 2nd half tonight...

Then he set good screens and then used his foot speed to make the defense have to chose between a thunderous dunk let Kobe work his magic streaking to the basket.

He's clearly not as explosive, but he's still quicker than almost every big man he'll face on a nightly basis. I dont know why this isnt done more often (as in all the time).
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:This was probably his best effort defensively all season in the 2nd half. He did mostly with 4 fouls as well. Great, great effort in the 2nd half tonight...

Then he set good screens and then used his foot speed to make the defense have to chose between a thunderous dunk let Kobe work his magic streaking to the basket.

He's clearly not as explosive, but he's still quicker than almost every big man he'll face on a nightly basis. I dont know why this isnt done more often (as in all the time).

Good point on the screens. He set a good screen on Eric Gordon that caused the switch and you had Robin Lopez guarding Kobe; subsequently, Kobe flattened him out, shot that jumper and gave us the lead.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Stellar performance tonight. Can't spell Dwight without "D." He was active and engaged on both ends of the court and really had to play intelligent defense in the second half thanks to foul trouble. DPOY type of performance out there tonight.

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby last stand on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:

conditioning. he couldn't give 100% consistently. you could see him get gassed. in orlando the guy could go 40 minutes at 100mph.

he's getting that back. the explosiveness and strength will have to wait until the offseason. and then they'll see exactly how much of that he'll get back, at least explosiveness
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:06 pm

^Yeah I agree. I was more referring to play calling, we hardly see it. Even if they do it in spurts, its usually gonna be impossible to defend because of Dwight's (or Kobe's) foot speed vs the big man on defense.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:14 pm

He should've broken out the Deke after that block or is that still warranting a technical foul these days?

Either way, it's an excuse to post one of my favorite commercials on TV
JSM

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 pm

ooooooweeee nice block.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Lopez wasn't even trying to argue that, dude knew he got pwned.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 pm

JSM wrote:He should've broken out the Deke after that block or is that still warranting a technical foul these days?

Either way, it's an excuse to post one of my favorite commercials on TV

I've seen that commercial probably 20+ times now and it's never not funny. Also, yeah, that's a tech if you do it at a player, like the player you rejected. Mutombo was only allowed to do it if he turned the other way, like to the audience and did it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Dwight clarifies his statements about his Orlando teammates:

Mark Medina
Dwight Howard said his comments about Orlando were intended to talk about how the team was seen as an underdog
"A lot of people overreacted. I never meant disrespect to none of my former teammates. My statement was to say the team we played with in Orlando were the underdogs. Nobody talked about our team and it was underrated. Everybody overlooked us the time I was out there."
JSM

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Can we get a gif of the Dwight mini-scowl at the end of the game?

Tobias Funke

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 pm

I know we should be praising D12 for his defense in the 2nd half, but this is a topic as well so I feel like I had to post some more player comments....

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne
Redick on Howard's quotes: "You can't take all the credit and not accept any of the blame."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

1 min Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne
JJ Redick didn't love Dwight's quotes about the Magic, either. "I would be more surprised when Dwight starts taking responsibility."
Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Kristine Leahy ‏@KristineLeahy
Comment by Dwight about playing w/ guys no one wanted is being taken a bit out of context. He was speaking about pulling the team together.

Kristine Leahy ‏@KristineLeahy
And in a part we didn't air, said Orlando will always be special to him, and thanked Magic fans for their support.
JSM

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Can we get a gif of the Dwight mini-scowl at the end of the game?

Was I the only one who saw it as Dwight poking fun at Kobe? Not in a negative way, just messing around, that's why he and Jamison laughed.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 pm

He was a BEAST on D down the stretch. That was a lot like pre-injury Howard. Amazing.

Finally the Kobe-Dwight P&R is coming to fruition. Always felt that play should become one of our go-to plays. If we execute it well, and stretch the floor properly (with Nash & Meeks), that play should be pretty devastating. It was tonight.

I still don't want him getting a lot of touches on the block to play 1 on 1, he isn't there yet. Pick and roll action, trying for offensive boards, and the occational post-up. That's how I would go about it.

He needs to watch some tape of his D down the stretch tonight compared to say, on the 2nd quarter. Of course if his teammates don't pick it up there's not much he can do, but during that stretch he should he can be a true "anchor", someone who lifts a team defensively. He was altering shots in the paint, got a couple of really clutch blocks, and his P&R D was something else. Wow.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Wish not only his effort, but the team could be like this consistently. Great way to close.
JLaker17

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Fully agree with your write up Finwe.

Weezy wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:Can we get a gif of the Dwight mini-scowl at the end of the game?

Was I the only one who saw it as Dwight poking fun at Kobe? Not in a negative way, just messing around, that's why he and Jamison laughed.

Yep, like he's saying he's in beast mode like Kobe. Awesome stuff.

Tobias Funke

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Hornets scored only 35 points in the 2nd half after dropping 67 in the 1st. Our D anchored by Howard was nothing short of amazing
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby last stand on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Weezy wrote:

thats what i thought it was. i laughed when i saw it. he was making fun of kobe all in good fun.

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 pm

1.) Conditioning

2.) Dumb fouls

3.) Consistency with his defensive effort

Number 2 is a real killer because we have no backup. Dwight gives our defense a chance, we need him to keep elevating his play on that side of the court.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby last stand on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 pm

i personally think conditioning and effort are a little bit tied together. the effort issue defensively has improved as his conditioning has.

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JSM on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:41 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Dwight actually counseled Kobe to attack Lopez in 4Q, telling Kobe he was going to hold Kobe's man via screen. Kobe: "He saw something."
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 pm

JSM wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Dwight actually counseled Kobe to attack Lopez in 4Q, telling Kobe he was going to hold Kobe's man via screen. Kobe: "He saw something."

I'm really loving the connection we saw between the two down the stretch. It was almost like a light bulb went off.

Remember how we were all frustrated that Dwight was kind of standing around at the end of games? I said it was because he wasn't sure how to move off of Kobe yet. Tonight it really seemed like that clicked, especially on that amazing run. I don't think it's something that'll be there consistently, but I think it could certainly be there as a weapon they go to more often.

As for his other quotes, I knew it! I called that he was being taken out of context. Typical media s*** that is taken the wrong way to make someone look a certain way. It's really easy to misquote people or to drag out a small part of someone's statement to make them sound bad. People around here do it all the time.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 pm

JSM wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing

I was actually telling my buddy that Im glad Pringles made that call and was giving him props, but I guess the credit goes to Dwight and also to him and Kobe for capitalizing.

Tobias Funke

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard