D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion: Dwightmare on Figueroa St. Part Boo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 am

haha.... I love how all this is being spun. Anything to get Howard out of LA. While Mike D may be hated I do not agree that the Lakers need to bowdown to Dwight. If this was Kobe I'd understand more but not Dwight he hasn't earned it.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Center Court on Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:haha.... I love how all this is being spun. Anything to get Howard out of LA. While Mike D may be hated I do not agree that the Lakers need to bowdown to Dwight. If this was Kobe I'd understand more but not Dwight he hasn't earned it.

bowing down is very different than producing a system that can fit a star player. Bowing down is agreeing to play a certain number of games in Anaheim to be closer to one players home. Firing an average coach who''s system fits with NOBODY on this roster is standard protocol in the NBA. Dwight wants to see that the coach is going to make him the centerpiece. At he very least, value post presence.

If Dwight leaves, it's 100% MDA.
Center Court

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 am

Center Court wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:haha.... I love how all this is being spun. Anything to get Howard out of LA. While Mike D may be hated I do not agree that the Lakers need to bowdown to Dwight. If this was Kobe I'd understand more but not Dwight he hasn't earned it.

bowing down is very different than producing a system that can fit a star player. Bowing down is agreeing to play a certain number of games in Anaheim to be closer to one players home. Firing an average coach who''s system fits with NOBODY on this roster is standard protocol in the NBA. Dwight wants to see that the coach is going to make him the centerpiece. At he very least, value post presence.

If Dwight leaves, it's 100% MDA.

While I wont argue that the system Mike D is known for did not fit our team I still repeat my thought that the Lakers do not bow down to Dwight. We can all speculate what "level" Dwight would be happy with but the truth remains the same that the ONLY star player the FO should bow down too is Kobe. Again, I know everyone wants Mike D's head which I get but has everyone forgotten how great Dwight was when his "post presence" was valued? I don't need to pull up the GD post to say that people were frustrated with what Dwight did in the post outside of getting clear wide open dunks.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 am

I agree with puffy, I hate 'Antoni, but I kinda like that the Lakers are telling Dwight you don't get whatever you want if you stay. This isn't Orlando, they aren't going to change the entire roster yearly and make deals for bad contracts and fire the coach to make Dwight happy. If he wants to stay, great, if he doesn't like not getting his every wish well then there's the door, see ya.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 23, 2013 10:41 am

Weezy wrote:I agree with puffy, I hate 'Antoni, but I kinda like that the Lakers are telling Dwight you don't get whatever you want if you stay. This isn't Orlando, they aren't going to change the entire roster yearly and make deals for bad contracts and fire the coach to make Dwight happy. If he wants to stay, great, if he doesn't like not getting his every wish well then there's the door, see ya.

The problem is that what Dwight wants is exactly what the team needs. :man10: It just so happens that what Dwight is demanding is the right thing.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 am

Well I agree with that to an extent, we do need to fire the coach, but sadly it's not happening. I don't agree that he needs to be used a lot more though, he's pretty crappy in the post and running things through him is not better than running things through Kobe. He wants to be the main guy with the ball it would seem and that's just not happening as long as Kobe is here and honestly, he doesn't have the game to back it up either. Learn some post moves and how to hang onto the basketball better than Kwame Brown and then you can ask to be the 1st option on offense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 am

^puff I definitely think you have a point there, but we're in a crap situation. If Dwight can be used as the scapegoat to fire MDA (another huge blow to his image), but that's the reason the FO can bs the public into beleiving, we have to go with it right?

I can see Mitch saying something like, "now that we have Dwight extended, we want to move forward with a coach that can better utilize his skills in the coming years"
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 am

Weezy wrote:Well I agree with that to an extent, we do need to fire the coach, but sadly it's not happening. I don't agree that he needs to be used a lot more though, he's pretty crappy in the post and running things through him is not better than running things through Kobe. He wants to be the main guy with the ball it would seem and that's just not happening as long as Kobe is here and honestly, he doesn't have the game to back it up either. Learn some post moves and how to hang onto the basketball better than Kwame Brown and then you can ask to be the 1st option on offense.

I meant solely the coach situation. Firing D'Antoni is the right move regardless of what Dwight wants.

I don't know that there's a coach out there that would actually give in to Dwight's demands like that. At least not the way Dwight sees them. I can see a ton of coaches putting him in a position to score easy buckets, but not dumping down to him on the block.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu May 23, 2013 11:03 am

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:I agree with puffy, I hate 'Antoni, but I kinda like that the Lakers are telling Dwight you don't get whatever you want if you stay. This isn't Orlando, they aren't going to change the entire roster yearly and make deals for bad contracts and fire the coach to make Dwight happy. If he wants to stay, great, if he doesn't like not getting his every wish well then there's the door, see ya.

The problem is that what Dwight wants is exactly what the team needs. :man10: It just so happens that what Dwight is demanding is the right thing.

Maybe.

But ask Cleveland how placating their star's every wish worked out for them... :man9:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu May 23, 2013 11:09 am

Dwight wanting Pringles gone shouldn't even have to be taken into consideration. The fact that he's such a poor fit as the coach of this team and that we only started winning games when Kobe took over and kicked his system to the curb is enough reason.

Deciding to not make the right decision just because you dont want to appear to be giving in to someone else's influence is still, at the end of the day, you not making the right decision.

Now if they truly think that Pringles is the right decision, then more power to them I guess, but we're screwed.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby The Rock on Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 am

http://www.dailynews.com/rss/ci_23302228?source=rss
An ESPN report said Howard devoted part of a separate meeting with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak following his formal exit interview three weeks ago to lament how Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni made him feel "marginalized."

Kupchak said that didn't happen.

"Criticism of a coach did not come up," Kupchak said Wednesday in a phone interview. "Our coach did not come up."

Howard still experienced frustration with Kobe Bryant's demanding leadership style and D'Antoni's offense centering less on post play and more on pick-and-rolls.

Howard also labored through a surgically repaired back and a partially torn labrum in his right shoulder. Kupchak argued that largely contributed to Howard averaging 17.1 points and a league-leading 12.4 rebounds, his lowest numbers since the 2006-07 season.

"Everybody felt the season didn't go the way they wanted," Kupchak said, referring to the Lakers falling in a first-round sweep to San Antonio. "They all felt there are ways to utilize their talent better going forward. That would include Dwight."

None of this dampens Kupchak's belief that Howard will return to the Lakers.

I'm optimistic," Kupchak said. "Just look at what we have to offer."

Kupchak then ticked off the Lakers' championship history, the team's fan base and the "lifestyle" Los Angeles affords. He also alluded to the Lakers' financial leverage.

Howard can sign with the Lakers for five years and $118 million or go somewhere else for four years and $88 million. The NBA's labor deal devised five-year deals to boast annual raises worth 7.5 percent of the first-year's salary, as opposed to four-year deals that have 4.5 percent raises. Howard wouldn't have to pay state income taxes for home games if he played for the Houston Rockets or Dallas Mavericks.

Kupchak also believes Howard will co-exist with D'Antoni, whom Kupchak has said will return next season.

"I have absolute and complete confidence," Kupchak said. "Players don't have to like coaches. They just have to play hard. In L.A., our coaches get evaluated on wins and losses and not whether our players like them or don't like them."

Kupchak won't have clarity on Howard's future anytime soon.

A source familiar with Howard's thinking says he plans to test free agency and has considered the Lakers, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Golden State.

Nothing remains binding, though. The source added Howard's main concern involves "what team he feels has the best chance to win championships, has the best team and system around him." The source also stressed Howard has not and will not ask the Lakers to make any moves on his behalf.

Kupchak acknowledged the team has made unspecified contingency plans in case Howard leaves. Either way, Howard can't officially re-sign until July 10 when a moratorium on NBA business is lifted

"The sooner he makes his mind up, the better for everybody," Kupchak said. "But I told him when he first got here, 'I'm not going to bug you. I believe this is the place for you. When you make your mind up, let me know.' "

After all, Kupchak believes Howard will end his NBA career with a Lakers retired jersey and a statue. Assuming, Howard continues wearing purple and gold, of course.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu May 23, 2013 11:22 am

Mitch is right. Players dont have to like coaches.

Certainly is something major for free agents to consider when they're considering signing with a team though.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Chillbongo on Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 am

^Hopefully he's creating a smoke screen directed to Dwight. Showing that the Lakers won't bend to his beck and call, but that if a change is made, it's because the Lakers decided it was the best thing, not Dwight.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Thu May 23, 2013 11:31 am

I think that "players don't have to like coaches" line is incredibly stupid, and I really like Mitch. I know it's the company line being fed to us, but come on. No, players don't have to like coaches, but don't you generally WANT them to? When teams win championships the players usually praise the coach, thank the coach, hug the coach, they typically like the coach and buy into what he's selling and it's a big part of why they win it all. No, players don't have to like the coach, but they should if you want to win, what a stupid thing to say. They just have to play hard, well it's easier to play hard for a guy you're not tuning out and trying to win in spite of. :man11:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu May 23, 2013 11:37 am

Source: Howard Also Considering Warriors

Dwight Howard is considering signing with the Golden State Warriors as well as the previously reported Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Atlanta Hawks, a source close to the player said Thursday.

According to the source, Howard's main concern involves "what team he feels has the best chance to win championships, has the best team and system around him."

Howard can't officially sign with a team until July 10, when a moratorium on NBA business is lifted.

Via Mark Medina/Los Angeles Daily News

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227804/Source-Howard-Also-Considering-Warriors

Salary cap? Sign and trade? WTF?
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am

How is he gonna head to Warriors though...WTF? Warriors dont have capspace & they have nothing to offer us (Yea like we're gonna take Bogut and Lee)

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 am

Maybe there's the possibility that maybe they just aren't so crazy about Dwight and wouldn't mind if he left? I mean, they haven't exactly had the best pitch of all time lol (standing firmly by a coach he doesn't want, almost daring him to walk away).

Tobias Funke

Postby The Rock on Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 am

I wonder if Mitch is playing up to Dwight? Ya know Dwight is always changing his mind...what if Mitch fires MDA now & Dwight changes his mind to LA & then back to HOU between now and July 10?? The closer to the official date I think Mitch make take this MDA/Dwight thing seriously

I bet he's watching Lebron in Miami right now thinking that could be me.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm

im so sick and f'n tired of all this crap..this is THE LAKERS

you know what, get rid of Dwight AND the coach...start over in 2014
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby The Rock on Thu May 23, 2013 12:14 pm

John Ireland on 710 interesting discussion

Bogut expiring + Richard Jefferson expiring + Klay Thompson for Dwight

Klay can be an All star I think maybe not a superstar but an All star...he does have a good reputation he can help lure in Free Agents in 2014/2015?

I was hoping we'd get a 2014 draft pick from GSW but its with Utah apparently

Its just a discussion but I dont think this is as realistic as Mychal Thompson!!!! , Willard and Ireland make it out to be...trading a Superstar to a division rival??

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Thu May 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Well we'd get Bogut who would probably want to stay and sign for cheap.

I don't know if Klay is all-star level. He's a starter for sure in the league, but his game isn't versatile enough yet for me to say he's going to be an all-star. I think they have to include a draft pick(s) for Mitch to not laugh this deal off. Also the Lakers might be more interested in Barnes.
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:24 pm

The Rock wrote:John Ireland on 710 interesting discussion

Bogut expiring + Richard Jefferson expiring + Klay Thompson for Dwight

Klay can be an All star I think maybe not a superstar but an All star...he does have a good reputation he can help lure in Free Agents in 2014/2015?

I was hoping we'd get a 2014 draft pick from GSW but its with Utah apparently

Its just a discussion but I dont think this is as realistic as Mychal Thompson!!!! , Willard and Ireland make it out to be...trading a Superstar to a division rival??

i'm down...let's do it...let's do it by the end of this week

he can play at Golden State...we'll just hack him until the last 2mins and we can just strip him of the ball everytime he gets down low
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby The Rock on Thu May 23, 2013 12:26 pm

:man10:

But seriously I dont want to go through the days again where we dont have a half decent big on the team.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:28 pm

^ Yeah, Thompson isn't the player to target from GS if they want to do that. It'd be Harrison Barnes. After watching the playoffs, I'm really high on that guy.

Young, good size, athletic, and I LOVED his ability to create his own.

Bogut + Landry + Barnes for Howard
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:29 pm

The Rock wrote::man10:

But seriously I dont want to go through the days again where we dont have a half decent big on the team.

Bogut is more than a half decent big...right now, with the way Dwight is acting, more caproom for 2014 seems more appealing than keeping this flip flopping, no-FT making drama queen
pound4pound1

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard