D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Howard Discussion (cleared for 5-on-5 - Pg 703)

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 pm

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Who's the guy or coach standing behind them with arms folded....anyone know? Nice recovery Dwight!
LTLakerFan

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:One thing that was interesting from the NBA TV comments Shaq made, was that when prompted by Reggie if Dwight ever came to him to seek advice on how to play big and gully down low, Shaq said he would be open to teaching Dwight some of his tricks. But then again, I doubt that scenario will ever pan out and its unfortunate that ego is the sole reason behind it.

That's Shaq just running his mouth. I don't buy that for one second. Shaq has never helped or mentored any of the younger stars. Kareem, Hakeem, and Ewing all actively work with bigs around the league. D. Robinson mentored his protege when the Spurs drafted Timmy. Russell has spoken to and given advice to some of the modern bigs, including Dwight. That's another reason I have lost a lot of respect for Shaq. His ego is too large and he's too big of a douche to ever pass along what he's learned and be an asset to today's league.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Though @DwightHoward continues to improve & look great at practice, he will not play on Saturday vs. Utah.

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing

Dwight won't play Saturday at Staples vs. Jazz. Next chances are Tuesday in Anaheim, also vs. Jazz, and next Friday in Vegas vs. Kings.

Mark Medina ‏@MarkGMedina

The 7-foot-3 Somogyi blocked one of Dwight's shots, while Howard swatted away at Sacre. Lots of physical play, trash talk and smiles

Mark Medina ‏@MarkGMedina

Dwight Howard had intense workout. Lots of running & postup-drills w/ Robert Sacre & Greg Somogyi.

Howard responded to getting blocked by Somogyi by dunking in his face after an up-fake the next time. Lookin' strong.

Good training for guys like Somogyi & Sacre to get to go 1-on-1 against the world's best low post defender. If you can score on him...

Howard got swatted by Greg Somogyi in a 1-on-1 post drill, & when teammates hollered about it, said, "Ayo I'm trying (stuff)!"
JSM

Postby dj vitus on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Sacre shouldn't have taken that last 3rd step. Just two steps and jump hook off both feet like what Shaq used to do a lot. Gotta be quicker.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Janis Carr of the Orange County Register wrote:Kobe Bryant suggested this week that fun-loving Dwight Howard needs to bring out the “dog” in him night in and night out, the quality that earned him three Defensive Player of the Year awards.

“It’s there, it’s just a matter of him digging deep and pulling it out. It’s already there. .It’s just a matter of him having it become habit,” Bryant said Tuesday.

Howard said he wasn’t offended by Bryant’s statements. After the Lakers’ second exhibition loss Wednesday, the All-Star center said he understood where his new teammate was coming from.

“I heard about what he said,” Howard said. “People might take that the wrong way. He’s not saying be a jerk or an a-hole to people, he’s basically saying, ‘On the court, he loves the way I play but I can be more of one of those people.’ ”

“I think a lot of people get it confused,” Howard said of his personality. “They think I don’t take it serious because I’m smiling or things like that.

“When its time to get it done, I’ll get it done.”

Howard sat out the Lakers’ 93-75 exhibition loss to Portland despite getting cleared to participate fully in drills. He took part in pregame warm-ups, looking as explosive as he did before his back problems and subsequent surgery. He maintains, though, he is not ready to play in a game situation.

“I feel pretty good but like I keep telling you guys I want to be 110 percent, be in great shape,” Howard said. “I want to make sure my condition is where it needs to be. That’s the biggest thing.

“I don’t want to go out there and not be who I am, running the floor, playing great defense, blocking shots and being very active. When you’re fatigued, that means you can’t do all those things. So I want to make sure I can.”

Howard is not expected to play Saturday when the Lakers take on the Utah Jazz at Staples Center.
JSM

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 pm

I think Dwight back is just fine, at this point, it's just about confidence and conditioning.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Fraud on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 pm

howard needs to improve a bit more on defense (not that he isnt good) He has to be really careful. Floppers could have sold that contact on the pump fake.

Although the block was beautiful, another pump fake would have gotten him. Since he's too athletic, it should be expected that whoever he's guarding would use pump fakes and step throughs. I know we are probably going to preach about his defense but we also need him to produce for us night in and night out. Im really excited about this team. Go Lakers!
Fraud

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:53 am

He said a few times today after practice that at this point he's just working on his conditioning mainly.

Cant wait for a new "Angry Mark Cuban" gif on opening night.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:07 am

^ Yeah that's what I've been hearing/seeing too. He doesn't look anything close to game condition yet as far as cardio goes.

But damn... he's so close. I bet he's getting excited, because I know Laker fans are getting pumped up.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 am

Fraud wrote:howard needs to improve a bit more on defense (not that he isnt good) He has to be really careful. Floppers could have sold that contact on the pump fake.

Although the block was beautiful, another pump fake would have gotten him. Since he's too athletic, it should be expected that whoever he's guarding would use pump fakes and step throughs. I know we are probably going to preach about his defense but we also need him to produce for us night in and night out. Im really excited about this team. Go Lakers!

You're assuming there are actual players that use pump fakes and step throughs nowadays.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 am

Fraud wrote:howard needs to improve a bit more on defense (not that he isnt good) He has to be really careful. Floppers could have sold that contact on the pump fake.

He won DPOY 3 times in a row. He'll figure it out.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:57 am

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2012/10/11/121011RookiesBattleDwightmov-2245176

Go to the link to see Dwight and the camp rookies battling in the post. It includes Dwight getting blocked by Somogyi and then dunking on him later.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:07 am

^Thanks for that link. I think he's going to play in the last two preseason games. He's getting stronger by the day; I'm excited...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10 am

Dwight's jump hooks are always flat. They are more jump than hook. Which works against most bigs since the league hardly employs true 7-footers anymore at the center position. It doesn't work as well against guys like Somogyi, Hibbert, Bynum etc.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:14 pm

revgen wrote:Dwight's jump hooks are always flat. They are more jump than hook. Which works against most bigs since the league hardly employs true 7-footers anymore at the center position. It doesn't work as well against guys like Somogyi, Hibbert, Bynum etc.

Which is where good footwork, counters, and facing up would do wonders.

Dream has the same profile as Dwight. Undersized Center who schooled the likes of Shaq, Robinson and Ewing.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Dream had flexible wrists like Bynum and a nice shooting touch though. Dwight unless they can help him has something else of Shaq's besides his nickname....same or similar stiff wrists and hardly any "touch" on his front facing shots. Hope he can become better. Can you imagine if he could also face the basket and be effective like Pau..... :man4: :man4:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:49 pm

^ Actually he's far more effective facing the basket. His normal move is to face guys up, then use his strength to muscle up a hook shot across the paint. He does that a lot.

I hardly ever see him body a guy and then go to a normal jump hook. Sometimes he backs guys down and then uses a drop step, but it's usually the hook shot after he faces up.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:56 pm

^The problem with Dwight physically is that he doesn't have a butt. He has the triangle body type. Big shoulders up top and small waist. He needs to look at how Kobe backs down his man. Kobe uses his shoulders to push his defender back, creating space, then he moves his feet backwards after space is created. Bynum even tried that maneuver out last season for fun and he and Kobe shared a laugh afterwards. Bynum has the big butt so he doesn't really have to utilize that maneuver, but Dwight should really try to take it and use it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Cool video. Sacre needs to learn to pump fake once in a while, he can't always just put the hook up on the first move, going to get swatted a lot. And dang, Dwight pushed Somogyi out of the way like he wasn't there, 2 handed dunk like nothing, dude is a beast even coming off back surgery.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:12 pm

revgen wrote:^The problem with Dwight physically is that he doesn't have a butt. He has the triangle body type. Big shoulders up top and small waist. He needs to look at how Kobe backs down his man. Kobe uses his shoulders to push his defender back, creating space, then he moves his feet backwards after space is created. Bynum even tried that maneuver out last season for fun and he and Kobe shared a laugh afterwards. Bynum has the big butt so he doesn't really have to utilize that maneuver, but Dwight should really try to take it and use it.

Well Dwight just isn't as big as traditional Centers, so yes you're right. He needs to utilize his legs more. What Kobe does is get room with his upper body, but his lower body is constantly churning and pushing for space. The idea of course is to get low and create leverage.

Dwight did it just fine in the video when he dunked over Somogyi.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:13 pm

Weezy wrote:Cool video. Sacre needs to learn to pump fake once in a while, he can't always just put the hook up on the first move, going to get swatted a lot. And dang, Dwight pushed Somogyi out of the way like he wasn't there, 2 handed dunk like nothing, dude is a beast even coming off back surgery.

The most fun was watching how physical they were. No holds barred kind of practice. That's going to really toughen Dwight up and get him ready for NBA level playing time again really quickly. Sacre needs to make the team just for that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm

OK I just called "racist" on myself cause I just watched the video and was surpised Greg Somogyi wasn't black. I need to get that TWC channel :bang:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:22 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Sacre is strong. Poor Somogyi got out of position after only one shoulder bump. And I'm sure Dwight can hit a lot harder then that.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard