D12 Discussion: Dwightmare over! (1139)

Re: Dwight Discussion:"the legacy,the history..means a lot"(893)

Postby quartzcharm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:42 am

Good effort and energy from Dwight last night. Let's see if he can keep it up.
quartzcharm

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am

abeer3 wrote:jsj: that was part of the old cba, too, i believe.

Shut up. :man12:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 am

khmrP wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:If the Rockets SOMEHOW get Josh Smith it's goodbye Dwight :man6:

if they get Josh Smith they wont have cap to room for Howard.

They have to give something up to get Josh Smith, ATL isn't just going to hand him over.. If they wanted pure cap space, they could just let him walk. Say they trade Asik + pieces for Smith. They can max both Smith & Dwight out in the offseason.
lakersin4

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 am

dwight, when are you going to learn to keep your damn hands to yourself in the post.

does he average one offensive foul a game or something? he needs to learn to create that space with his body.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 am

lakersin4 wrote:
khmrP wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:If the Rockets SOMEHOW get Josh Smith it's goodbye Dwight :man6:

if they get Josh Smith they wont have cap to room for Howard.

They have to give something up to get Josh Smith, ATL isn't just going to hand him over.. If they wanted pure cap space, they could just let him walk. Say they trade Asik + pieces for Smith. They can max both Smith & Dwight out in the offseason.

maybe but Hou not dumping Asik for Smith, I'm pretty sure Hou not taking that chance just yet, they're gona try and dump all their young glut of PF.
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:54 am

So I was actually pretty wet for Dwight last night.

Can we order this D12 for the rest of the season?
Chillbongo

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:58 am

Chillbongo wrote:So I was actually pretty wet for Dwight last night.

Can we order this D12 for the rest of the season?

:man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:07 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:dwight, when are you going to learn to keep your damn hands to yourself in the post.

does he average one offensive foul a game or something? he needs to learn to create that space with his body.

He used his body probably 95% of the time last night. Just like Shaq, his strength will result in probably 1 offensive foul a night. Guys just literally cannot handle his size. They hang on him, he gets frustrated, he uses his arm a few times. It's going to happen pretty much for the rest of his career.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
RT @kevinding: I asked Dwight about his role in Lakers offense. "We have years to play with each other, so it's a learning process."
dwighthowardsdad

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:36 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
RT @kevinding: I asked Dwight about his role in Lakers offense. "We have years to play with each other, so it's a learning process."

GoldenKnight

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Big-time Nash words about Howard: "We talked coming out of the All-Star break that he and I have really got ...

to find a way to be a tandem. He has to find ways to free me up, and therefore I am going to find ways to free him up -- and really become a team and a tandem together, put a lot of pressure on the defense and make the game easier for our teammates. We are going to work at it. It is still a work in progress, but the last two games before the break he really committed to running pick and rolls, setting good screens, rolling hard.

"And I think tonight you either saw me free for jump shots or him going down the paint for fouls or finishes. It has to be a big part of our offense."

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/26 ... ce=twitter
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Wrath12X on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 pm

^ THAT caught me off guard too
Wrath12X

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:

Sweeet...Kobe's getting an extension & Nash isn't getting traded :man1:
Chillbongo

Postby adobo24 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 pm

Kevin Ding
@KevinDing: I asked Dwight about his role in Lakers offense. "We have years to play with each other, so it's a learning process."
:man4:
ImageImage
adobo24

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:50 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
Big-time Nash words about Howard: "We talked coming out of the All-Star break that he and I have really got ...

to find a way to be a tandem. He has to find ways to free me up, and therefore I am going to find ways to free him up -- and really become a team and a tandem together, put a lot of pressure on the defense and make the game easier for our teammates. We are going to work at it. It is still a work in progress, but the last two games before the break he really committed to running pick and rolls, setting good screens, rolling hard.

"And I think tonight you either saw me free for jump shots or him going down the paint for fouls or finishes. It has to be a big part of our offense."

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/26 ... ce=twitter

^^ This. All day! This is what I've wanted since before the season began. Finally. It's not too late to do this and it showed last night.

All I've wanted is for us to go heavy into the Nash Howard pick and roll offense. Last night I finally saw it come to fruition.

All season long I've been waiting to see Howard come up and really set true screens on ball for Nash rather than those ineffective "slip" screens. I don't know whose design that was, but it didn't work. And it didn't work for a LONG time. Like weeks or months now.

At last we see Howard setting those real screens, full body screens, on Nash's guy and they just ran that pick and roll so well. It was like a light went on in the darkness.

That was the offense I've been wanting to see since we got both of these guys. I was going to post about this in the Nash thread - still will because I have more to say about it.

But wow, what a difference this focus on the Howard Nash pick and roll has made. I cannot tell you how much it actually makes me feel RELIEVED of all things. It actually calms me to see it in action - I guess because I've waited all year long for it and could not for the life of me understand why we weren't utilizing these two superstars in this manner. This is what I envisioned with a guy like Sloan at the helm. I don't know who is making this happen, whether it's D' Antoni or Nash or both, but we are finally playing to some of our strengths with this.
Lakerjones

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 pm

What took them so long to figure out that's a good way to go? That's just bad coaching IMO.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 pm

^Last night, Howard did free up Nash for a pair of foul line Js with properly set screens and the latter found him for easy scores too...one a lob slam. At least they are talking it out...not letting the frustration of this season hem them in as teammates.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Yesterday I saw Nash be freed off a hard screen from Howard more than at any other point in the season. Had great looks & was knocking them down. Howard also did a great job attacking after getting the ball when Nash decided to pass.

GoldenKnight

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Here is Dwight's full answer about having "years" to play with Lakers, with my question about whether a balance ...

can be found between the pick-and-roll game and the post touches Dwight wants or needs:

"It can be. It's just something that we all have to work on. Guys have to have more trust in what I can provide on the post. And I just have to get more comfortable down there playing out the post.

"It's really the first year that I really haven't had an opportunity to really get as comfortable as I want to on the box -- to where I can really read the defense, read my man, make moves and play off of it, sort of like how I did in Orlando.

"But there's still time for improvement. We have years to play with each other, so it's a learning process."

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/94 ... ce=twitter
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 pm

This All-Star break might have been the best thing that happened to our team all season long.

GoldenKnight

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Weezy wrote:What took them so long to figure out that's a good way to go? That's just bad coaching IMO.

I don't disagree. But before I throw D' Antoni completely under the bus, I think it's safe to say that Howard himself has played a part in this. See the quotes from him above in DHD's posted article.

What I like is that these two are getting it together. I agree COMPLETELY with Nash. This is something that needs to be a staple of this offense. Just look at how much better Nash played with a big setting screens for him on ball. It's a night and day difference. He looked like himself! Truly. I'll go more into this in the Nash thread, but I'll say this - last night was the most optimistic I've felt about the Lakers all season long. That offense was what they need to build on. That relationship between Dwight and Nash was just killing Beantown last night. It was beautiful to watch. Then you add in the hustle of Clark, the solid role play of the bench guys, the team emphasis on defense and the great effort all around - it was really uplifting.

I think Kobe will have to find a balance going forward between his on ball and off ball offense. I haven't been totally satisfied with this "facilitator/passer-mostly" role he seems to have strapped on himself. I don't think it's a natural one for him. He needs to get back to his shooting rhythm, but somehow do it with a smaller amount of shots than he used to, which might be tough.

But the emphasis on the screens for Nash is the way to go. When Howard sets those full body screens it makes all the difference in the world. Then we are just killing the other team.
Lakerjones

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Yesterday I saw Nash be freed off a hard screen from Howard more than at any other point in the season. Had great looks & was knocking them down. Howard also did a great job attacking after getting the ball when Nash decided to pass.

^^ I absolutely agree!! :bow: :jam2:
Lakerjones

Postby MusixFinest on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:09 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:This All-Star break might have been the best thing that happened to our team all season long.

Who's up for moving the All-Star break to December??
MusixFinest

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 pm

MusixFinest wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:This All-Star break might have been the best thing that happened to our team all season long.

Who's up for moving the All-Star break to December??

:man10:
Chillbongo

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm

i was thinking that. we saw positive signs that this team, as its constructed, might be able to do a lot better next season (ignoring being a year older, contract issues etc). i'm thinking the break might have served as a mental off-season, albeit much shorter. also, something like the loss of Dr. Buss can act as a catalyst in bringing the guys that much closer together. i'm hoping they can act like this is a "new season" (i lost count) and strive for not losing a game the rest of the way. time will tell.
Last edited by lakersyunowin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard